Advice please?

CraftBattlePoni

Other people could probably come up with better suggestions than I will, but I have one big tip especially if you plan on playing on official or other online servers. Play single player first. Get used to the game, how it works and its mechanics before making the plunge into the online game. Learn how to survive, about the building mechanics and how to tame dinos. Ark has a massive learning curve and its much easier getting used to it in a more forgiving landscape of single player.

Read about auto-decay timers. You HAVE to log in and render everything you own at least once a week if you don't have tribemates you can trust, otherwise most stuff will simply be gone. So no vacation for you if you play solo on official servers.

Get the dododex app to check taming food, timers etc. (useful for every mode/server)

Use the server Filter. Read about legacy and non-legacy servers before you join one.

Learn about the kibble tree.

Be prepared to die a lot in the beginning, and don't ever feel safe. You never know what the ARK gods decide to throw at you.

Tame all the dodo's! 

If you play on theisland, hunt explorer notes - gives ton of xp for fast lvling.

Find a location you want to settle on, try to find a place near metal node spawns and resources in general. tame low lvl dinos for egg farm! Get the kibble taming going.

Dododex is awesome for timers and amount of food needed to tame.

I played Ark when it was in Beta. I jumped right on to a multiplayer server. Kept dying and not really doing anything. It ruined Ark for me. Then I decided to give it a shot again, but this time by playing the singleplayer part. Now it's an addiction. I am currently shopping for a good private server to join.

I recommend playing single player first like stated above.

If you're playing pve, be social. Other players, depending on their mood, can be incredibly valuable sources of information.

If you're playing pvp (I wouldn't to start with), don't say a word in chat. Terrible terrible things can be done... "keep it secret, keep it safe".

As soon as you have done some reading on how taming works, get yourself a low level trike. Worlds better when you have a ride. 

And after that, as soon as you can, get a ptero...the game really opens up once you can fly.

Archived