Best Aberration thatch collector?

EmberStar

I'm curious, is there a creature in Aberration that's really good at collecting thatch?  I know that Stegosaurs can gather a little, but they're super slow.

I'm also curious if any Aberration tame besides the moschops can harvest fiber.  In singleplayer, moschops need a ton of babysitting.  They're useless at defending themselves and there doesn't seem to be a way to assign other tames to follow them.  And they go into stasis anyway as soon as I gett to far away.  So if there's something that can collect fiber, even badly, that would be really helpful.

• Volunteer Moderator
18 minutes ago, EmberStar said:

I'm curious, is there a creature in Aberration that's really good at collecting thatch?  I know that Stegosaurs can gather a little, but they're super slow.

I'm also curious if any Aberration tame besides the moschops can harvest fiber.  In singleplayer, moschops need a ton of babysitting.  They're useless at defending themselves and there doesn't seem to be a way to assign other tames to follow them.  And they go into stasis anyway as soon as I gett to far away.  So if there's something that can collect fiber, even badly, that would be really helpful.

I have been using the Anky for thatch.

Once you get a Karkinos, you can carry to moschops for harvesting, and just run them around where you need them.  Also works with Doeds; they might not harvest to full capacity, but if you get two with a mate boost, you can do pretty good with multiple runs.

Your best bet for fiber is a sickle. It is hands down the easiest method. 

Ankies are good for thatch, so are doedics. Of course as soon as you can make an industrial grinder and just use a roll rat to get wood and turn that into thatch. Side tip. Also good to get some lystros for the xp gain and combine that with the indy grinder. 

Dododex ranking for thatch collectors. Numbers missing are creatures not on Aberration.

8) Otter (how does the otter farm thatch?)

9) Moschops

10) Iguanodon

16) Stegosaurus

17) Ankylo

19) Paracer

21) Trike

22) Doedi

24) Diplodocus 

27) Megalosaurus

Personally I'm gonna check out the iguanodon since I already have one for berry gathering. Also gonna tame a moschops and try carrying it with a karkinos. Sick of using a pick. Miss my megaloceros.

I did discover that if a stegosaur tailswipes one of those evil red mushroom patches, you get a few Rare Flowers and a decent amount of Biotoxin.  I've tested with a couple of other tamed creatures, and only a stegosaur gets the biotoxin.  This is kind of nice, since it means that once I get a fabricator built I can make at least some of the advanced tranq darts without having to go clear down to the Biolume for jellyfish.  (I haven't seen them anywhere in the mushroom forest yet.)

I didn't realize iguanadons could collect thatch.  I'll try to find a couple of high level ones.  I tamed a level eight just to make sure I was counting towards any possible "tame one of everything" achievement, and since then I've just been keeping her around because I can't stand to kill any of my pets.  I have about six diplodocus for the same reason.  (Although since Aberration has dung beetles hiding somehwere, the dip-o-suars are at least a source of large poop to feed the beetles, and they're strong enough to help carry large amounts of walls and foundations for building.  And I don't lose track of where I left my spare fenceposts that way.)

• Volunteer Moderator
15 minutes ago, EmberStar said:

I did discover that if a stegosaur tailswipes one of those evil red mushroom patches, you get a few Rare Flowers and a decent amount of Biotoxin.  I've tested with a couple of other tamed creatures, and only a stegosaur gets the biotoxin.  This is kind of nice, since it means that once I get a fabricator built I can make at least some of the advanced tranq darts without having to go clear down to the Biolume for jellyfish.  (I haven't seen them anywhere in the mushroom forest yet.)

I didn't realize iguanadons could collect thatch.  I'll try to find a couple of high level ones.  I tamed a level eight just to make sure I was counting towards any possible "tame one of everything" achievement, and since then I've just been keeping her around because I can't stand to kill any of my pets.  I have about six diplodocus for the same reason.  (Although since Aberration has dung beetles hiding somehwere, the dip-o-suars are at least a source of large poop to feed the beetles, and they're strong enough to help carry large amounts of walls and foundations for building.  And I don't lose track of where I left my spare fenceposts that way.)

I have gotten biotoxin from toxic shrooms with the Anky headbutt.

And, I am with you on the Iguanadon.  I recently tamed two(including a nice 145) and just tried it out, and found it works pretty well.  Given it is faster than the anky, though probably not as tough, going to try it out for thatch runs; just going to bring a Megalos or two along for a little extra protection.

Beatles are pretty easy to find, they are on the two paths down to the Biolume; you can find some outside of the range of where the Nameless pop up.

16 hours ago, EmberStar said:

I get bio toxin with my parcer and anky out of the red mushrooms and also the blue ones 

Making a grinder might be a long term goal.  I hadn't bothered to build one before, so I wasn't sure if they even had a point in singleplayer.  I assumed they were a PVP thing - raid your rivals, steal their supplies, and grind up anything you can't use for raw materials.

The problem there is that it needs 600 oil.  In the mushroom forest, it'll take ages to squish enough trilobites to get that much.  I've been trying to collect dung beetles, but I can only get one per trip.  I have to leave behind a shoulder pet, run into the Biolume and snag a beetle on something fast, then run away again before I get mauled by Nameless.  So far I've gotten two.  I've actually grabbed four, but I lost two because I got ambushed by a surprise basilisk, and the beetles apparently don't know how to hold their breath.

15 minutes ago, EmberStar said:

Making a grinder might be a long term goal.  I hadn't bothered to build one before, so I wasn't sure if they even had a point in singleplayer.  I assumed they were a PVP thing - raid your rivals, steal their supplies, and grind up anything you can't use for raw materials.

The problem there is that it needs 600 oil.  In the mushroom forest, it'll take ages to squish enough trilobites to get that much.  I've been trying to collect dung beetles, but I can only get one per trip.  I have to leave behind a shoulder pet, run into the Biolume and snag a beetle on something fast, then run away again before I get mauled by Nameless.  So far I've gotten two.  I've actually grabbed four, but I lost two because I got ambushed by a surprise basilisk, and the beetles apparently don't know how to hold their breath.

Grinder is mainly for greatly speeding up leveling, and for acquiring stupid amounts of flint (for Spark/Gunpowder) and Thatch (I guess thats something you need in Aberration? Haven't had any issues as I just take an hour to get 300 stacks o' Thatch on a good bred Stego. Thatch run maybe once a month?)

On 1/7/2018 at 7:07 PM, EmberStar said:

You can also get plenty of rare flowers from the skinny blue shrubs in the biolum (not the blue mushrooms). As for thatch, my go to would be the paracer, which also can take care of itself pretty well.

Edit: I also heard that roll rats are the phiomias of aberration (feed them stims and wait for the sunshine)

As for the master zoologist achievement, do you know if the aberrant creatures are considered different from the regular ones? Like will we have to tame both a regular iguanodon and an aberrant one to get the achievement?

I found a decent iguanodon and managed to get it home without getting it eaten.  It seems "okay" at collecting thatch.  It doesn't collect vast amounts, but it's fast, and at least able to handle itself if a lower level ravager pack or carnotaur spots it so far.  The biggest drawback is that its harvest attacks are AoE, so I end up with a lot of random berries and mushrooms.

So far, trying to form a harvesting caravan in Aberration is kind of a problem.  In the mushroom forest there's lots and lots of rocks.  And some of the smaller harvestable rocks have weird collision boxes I think, because my ravagers keep getting stuck on them.  I don't have any of the stats for tames adjusted (beyond being in singleplayer with "use single player settings" turned on, so whatever that does.)  I have the difficulty turned back up to max so I can find high level creatures though.  I'll probably have to turn it back down to the "single player default" of 0.2 in the options menu when I'm ready to go for a boss, or make even make a surface run so I can transfer back to the other maps.

A somewhat annoying but unrelated problem is that in single player mode, data / tribute transfer on loot beacons is disabled.  From watching Slipgater and Dahl Dantil, this doesn't seem to be the case in multiplayer.  I get that outside critters can't be brought in because flyers would basically break the map.  But it's really frustrating that I'd have to get to the surface and make an obelisk run to send any of my current tames *out.*  This is really annoying for the shoulder pets, since they're super fragile.  At least when I checked it last, I think the wiki page for bulbdogs more or less said that they'd die instantly on the surface, don't even waste your time taking them.  I don't have tek blueprints unlocked, so I can't "just build a Tek Transmitter" even if it does still work as an Obelisk Terminal.  I think I saw a patch note or dev post stating that using it as a teleporter is disabled on Aberration.

4 minutes ago, Kraken said:

Personally I get more than enough thatch doing metal runs. Either when clearing stuff out of the way with the stego or with the anky itself. I filled a large S+ storage box with thatch today and still dumped a load of it.

Trying to build my walls and keep random critters out, I'm constantly running out of thatch.  Stegosaurs move in slow motion - I don't usually spend points on movement speed because I think it looks silly (and if I need to go faster it's usually easier just to get a mount that can actually go faster, rather than wasting stats on one that moves like it escaped from Super Hot.)  They're also big enough that if I'm not riding them, they're essentially permanently getting stuck on random rocks.  The map itself is kind of the problem - on The Island or even Scorched Earth, an area might be rich in tree-things or rocks, and you can just take one kind of pet to gather it.  In Aberration, the mushroom forest is covered in rocks.  In fact, some rocks are actually stuck *inside* the trees, like someone wasn't paying attention and just painted the rocks down without hiding the trees first.  If I want to travel any distance and bring more than one pet, I have to bring a couple of rock breaker pets as  well just to keep my stego and roll rats from constantly being stuck.

At least getting rid of excess rocks is not a problem.  I seem to collect almost literal tons of chitin if I go anywhere near the river, so my equus is working full time to make cementing paste and gunpowder out of the excess rocks and flint.

Finding metal is, again, a completely different problem.  I have my fort in the cliffs at the exit of the portal room, near what I guess is one of the artifact caves.  (If you stand in the metal tunnel I'd be down and to the left, on the portal room side of the waterfalls.)  So far, I've only found about four genuine metal nodes, and they only respawn every couple of hours.  Armadillos are useless for collecting metal from river rocks, and I haven't managed to get an anky out of the Biolume alive.  Trying to tame one in there is begging to get eaten by a megalosaur or Nameless, and I don't have a decent crab yet to try to grab one and carry it out first.  (I guess murdercrabs are the Aberration answer to not being able to tame a quetzacoatlus.)  For me, going into the Biolume is very fast, very tense, and most of the time ends with my character and tame running out again screaming and trying to find somewhere safe to hide before they bleed to death and wait for the Nameless to realize that they don't have enough sunblock to keep chasing me.

And yes, I know shoulder pets will chase away Nameless.  But I'm going to the Biolume to try to find beetles and shinehorns, which means I can't bring a lantern pet in unless I want to murder a bulbdog by leaving it behind.

• Volunteer Moderator
4 minutes ago, EmberStar said:

Trying to build my walls and keep random critters out, I'm constantly running out of thatch.  Stegosaurs move in slow motion - I don't usually spend points on movement speed because I think it looks silly (and if I need to go faster it's usually easier just to get a mount that can actually go faster, rather than wasting stats on one that moves like it escaped from Super Hot.)  They're also big enough that if I'm not riding them, they're essentially permanently getting stuck on random rocks.  The map itself is kind of the problem - on The Island or even Scorched Earth, an area might be rich in tree-things or rocks, and you can just take one kind of pet to gather it.  In Aberration, the mushroom forest is covered in rocks.  In fact, some rocks are actually stuck *inside* the trees, like someone wasn't paying attention and just painted the rocks down without hiding the trees first.  If I want to travel any distance and bring more than one pet, I have to bring a couple of rock breaker pets as  well just to keep my stego and roll rats from constantly being stuck.

At least getting rid of excess rocks is not a problem.  I seem to collect almost literal tons of chitin if I go anywhere near the river, so my equus is working full time to make cementing paste and gunpowder out of the excess rocks and flint.

Finding metal is, again, a completely different problem.  I have my fort in the cliffs at the exit of the portal room, near what I guess is one of the artifact caves.  (If you stand in the metal tunnel I'd be down and to the left, on the portal room side of the waterfalls.)  So far, I've only found about four genuine metal nodes, and they only respawn every couple of hours.  Armadillos are useless for collecting metal from river rocks, and I haven't managed to get an anky out of the Biolume alive.  Trying to tame one in there is begging to get eaten by a megalosaur or Nameless, and I don't have a decent crab yet to try to grab one and carry it out first.  (I guess murdercrabs are the Aberration answer to not being able to tame a quetzacoatlus.)  For me, going into the Biolume is very fast, very tense, and most of the time ends with my character and tame running out again screaming and trying to find somewhere safe to hide before they bleed to death and wait for the Nameless to realize that they don't have enough sunblock to keep chasing me.

And yes, I know shoulder pets will chase away Nameless.  But I'm going to the Biolume to try to find beetles and shinehorns, which means I can't bring a lantern pet in unless I want to murder a bulbdog by leaving it behind.

I have seen Shinehorns, Beetles, and Achatina before you even get down into the Biolume, and out of the range of the Nameless.   You will see Boas, Athros, and Megalos there, plus Roll Rats and Ravagers.  The are on the path down.

And, you could build a good taming pit at the top of the path, to lure Megalos into.  Get a few good ones, and you got some nice convo guards.

Like Kraken, I usually get plenty of thatch on my Anky doing a metal run.  If you go to the falls that are on the southern branch of the river, there are metal nodes there.  Also, I get rare flower there from bushes in the area.  I actually built my base on the other side of the river, with a bridge across it, and take my Anky and Paracer for a metal, flint, thatch, and whatever else I harvest run.   

Now, it is also a dangerous area, because of the Spinos and Crabs the play in the river, and sometimes on land.  But, I also built two taming pens in that area(away from the metal nodes(which are along the edge of the cliff), and used them to tame some of those Spinos, Crabs, and some Ravagers; to date, I have not see one decent Carno, but I have Megalos now, so not much need for Carnos.

Without a doubt, the prime resources on the map can be dangerous to get, until you get the better tames.

This is the big node.  More, smaller nodes to the left of this one.  And, those bushes in from of me give out Rare Flowers on our server. 

8FEC59DC90B67F34D621EEF926593A81D998A6B5

If you have a crab, any crab at all, then the biolum should hold no fears whatsoever. Nothing will aggro on you whilst riding it except for other crabs, you can keep your light pet on your shoulder to keep away the Nameless, and if you're looking for shinehorns, snails, anky's or whatever just pick them up with Cab and leap away avoiding everything until you get back to base to tame them in safety. You also have the solution to any thatch problems in that you can hold two Moschops on wander and take them next to trees and they'll harvest lots of thatch for you, and well as tonnes of fiber as you walk over berry patches.

Edit, also as Jerryn says, at the top of the Biolum next to the falls, there's an area with a lot of safe metal nodes, just look for the charge station at next to the waterfall and there's at least a dozen. That was my number one metal spot when all I had was Ravagers, not far from there you've got the path down into the Blue, and you'll often find beetles, snails, ankys, and the odd Megalo, plus plenty of blue gems all easily gettable without having to venture into the Blue proper.

Even with the difficulty turned up, spawn levels are weird somehow.  I've only seen one carno above level 60.  She was a level 90, and I didn't even have the option to consider taming her, because she was too busy being eaten be a level 135 Ravager and its two minions.  (Not sure if they naturally attack each other.  Even if they don't, I assume they tried to bite the same stego or something and then decided to kill each other in the crossfire.)  I have spawn density turned down to 0.6, but I think there's something weird with the rivers, and fish in general.  I have a sneaking suspicion that most of my spawn count is being scarfed up by coels and piranhas.  The downside is that it makes taming anything near the water really hard.  I tamed a sarco (just to have one) and it had just woken up when a murdercrab appeared from nowhere and mulched it.  My attempts at getting a spino have all been foiled by piranhas showing up just in time to eat it to death before it can wake up.  :(

I'm probably going to have to start building permanent stone taming pens, and then hoping I can find something decent close enough to lure into them.  Trying to tame anything in the open, even with spawn rates turned down, just ends up leaving me sad when a potential new pet gets eaten at the last moment by a ravager that fell off of something somewhere overhead.

Thank you all for the advice.  I'll keep working at it.  Things will apparently be better once I've got enough beetles to get something more than a trickle of oil coming in.  I still sort of wish there was an option / ini setting to scale resource costs down.  Turning gather rates way up isn't really the same thing, because more stuff equals more weight.  It seems to be the path a lot of youtube players take though - I've noticed that the ones I watch will get thousands of meat from a single corpse.  I still have my rates at whatever the "default" is for single player.  I think that's about twice what it was in most of Early Access?  I know for a while after one patch, picking up one beach rock always gave two stone.  Then they changed it so that picking up one rock is only one stone again.  In any case, with the tames I have now weight is the biggest problem.  My best doedic can only carry about 600 weight.  So she'll only harvest 300 weight on her own, and can only get to about 450 if I'm riding her.  And then I need another mount to switch to, because that's enough that she'll barely be able to move if I'm in the saddle.  Even with the weight reduction, that's not a lot of stone compared to how much it takes to craft anything.

If you tame a karkinos u can go to the surface and mine oil nodes with a pick. If no crab take a ravager and ziplines. I have taken ankies but picks are oddly more effective, and less of a loss if something goes wrong. If you need oil and lots of it the surface is definitely the pace to go. Wait for a 10 90 night and bring your mates. There will be reaper kings to slay. My tribe uses mate boosted crabs and rock drakes. 

Archived