Taming gigas with shocking darts...

bedbug

Gigas have pretty much always been really difficult to keep unconscious, hence why they require soooooo many narcotics, so I doubt it's because you used shock darts. Best to let their torpor run really low, like to 1000, then feed a ton of Narcotics. I think 100 narcotics = 4,000 torpor, which is around... 13mins? so you can work it out like that.

25 minutes ago, bedbug said:

The last 2 gigas Ive tamed I have used shocking darts to knock them out. Both times I have had a very hard time keeping them unconscious. I'm starting to wonder now if it is because of the way ive been knocking them out. Has anyone else noticed this too? 

Torpor timers have no relation to the items used to knock out dinos. Different species shed torpor at different rates. Whether tranq darts, shocking darts, tranq arrows, or slingshots are used, a Giga will still lose torpor at the same speed.

• Volunteer Moderator

You guys are doing it wrong. Take in example you want to tame a Giga lvl 150 on x1 taming rate. Since it has 99,400 torpor and that a Shocking Dart deals 442 total torpor, you will need 225 Shocking Darts. Once it is down, assuming you tame it with kibbles, it will take approximately 2 hours 15 minutes to tame. You will need approximately 1,000 narcotics. Now, since each narcotics fills 40 torpor, just wait until the Torpor of the Giga is dropped lower than 59,499 and feed it all the 1,000 narcotics that will takes 8,000 seconds to fills or in other words; ~2 hours 15 minutes. Put your kibbles on the Giga, go take a nap and come back later to ride your brand new tamed Giga.

21 minutes ago, bedbug said:

Perhaps then, I just added the narcs too fast. But I spammed through a few k of narcs and the torpor would just kind of go up a bit then drop. It was a losing battle. It seemed like it was glitched. 

Like @invincibleqc said, let the torpor drop till a bit below the minimum drop required(you can calculate that by multiplying the required amount of narcotics by 40*) and then just forcefeed all narcotics and the shouldn't be any problems.

*80 if you use bio toxin, 7.5 when using narcoberries.

DO NOT LET THE TORPOR DROP IF YOUR SERVER PERFORMANCE IS BAD!

If you are on a laggy server the torpor depletion runs faster than the narcotic gain resulting in a giga that will eventually wake up (depending on level and what youre feeding it). By feeding it narcotics at the start you are giving yourself a full torpor bar to help counter this 'bug'.

6 minutes ago, Dave192 said:

DO NOT LET THE TORPOR DROP IF YOUR SERVER PERFORMANCE IS BAD!

If you are on a laggy server the torpor depletion runs faster than the narcotic gain resulting in a giga that will eventually wake up (depending on level and what youre feeding it). By feeding it narcotics at the start you are giving yourself a full torpor bar to help counter this 'bug'.

thats now how torpor gaining/depletion mechanic works at all.

When unconscious dino is fed narcotics/narcoberries its depletion is paused for the duration of torpor increasing items. Using multiple torpor increasing items stack the time the torpor will go up, but it'll get cancelled if you hit max torpor on that dino. So keeping giga at max torpor is worst idea/advice one could have given.

Narcoberries are more efficient in a sense they are plenty and increase torpor little by little and 1000 narcoberries will give you just about same free time on a giga tame as 1000 narcotics.

19 minutes ago, DarthaNyan said:

thats now how torpor gaining/depletion mechanic works at all.

When unconscious dino is fed narcotics/narcoberries its depletion is paused for the duration of torpor increasing items. Using multiple torpor increasing items stack the time the torpor will go up, but it'll get cancelled if you hit max torpor on that dino. So keeping giga at max torpor is worst idea/advice one could have given.

^This.  He is right, you want to get low enough to run in a few full stacks of narc.  Torpor on a giga drops huge amounts very quickly when it is not waiting for the stacked increase to finish, so trying to watch it and keep it high a few narc at a time is how distracted people and laggy servers have a giga wake up on them.  Waiting for room to pump a ton into them is the only sane way to tame a giga,  especially on official rates.  You just watch until it stops increasing, watch closely until it gets low enough to pump a bunch more in there.  How people screw up is trying to keep torpor high a few narc at a time or pumping a bunch of narc when torpor is already high and losing the time benefit because it hits max quickly.  Anyone not getting this should try it on SP with cheats to learn for themselves how it works.

The torpor bug means torpor reduces while the application of nacrs is applying. Yes its supposed to 'freeze' the depletion but for whatever reason on high lag servers this does not apply correctly.

You can let a Giga drop to 1k torpor, feed it 1000 narcs and it will start ticking up but then suddenly drop a huge amount, more often than not a number larger than what was applied.

33 minutes ago, Dave192 said:

The torpor bug means torpor reduces while the application of nacrs is applying. Yes its supposed to 'freeze' the depletion but for whatever reason on high lag servers this does not apply correctly.

You can let a Giga drop to 1k torpor, feed it 1000 narcs and it will start ticking up but then suddenly drop a huge amount, more often than not a number larger than what was applied.

That would seriously suck.  I have been lucky to have never experienced that, even on the laggy officials I have played.

Hello,

As boss fights, taming a Giganotosaurus is heart raising, hand shaking and huge. I solo tamed two times during the entire time I played ARK. Rare and both times with crossbow and berries. Argentavis to transport and kill the Ovis. Now I got eggs for kibble but no high level Giganotosaourus in sight. Hopefully I can find a mate for my first PvE Giganotosaurus. Argent health 8k minimum and lots of sleeping bags :) Regards, Ariana

4 hours ago, BoboOfTheFriendlies said:

That would seriously suck.  I have been lucky to have never experienced that, even on the laggy officials I have played.

I can confirm it happens on Official servers. I've had Gigas and Mosas wake up despite being fed a thousand (Or two in panic) Narcotics. Though that hasn't happened in quite a while (On Officials). The way it works is it, for whatever reason (I have no clue), is it can take like literal minutes for the server to recognize that you fed it narco and freeze the torpor loss, despite the fact that the torpor starts rising immediately (Just not at the rate it's losing torpor). 

For some tames, like Gigas, that means they just get back up, nothing you can do. However for some tames, like the Mosa I experienced, it just means panic for a few seconds, and then it stops and resumes normal course. 

Use the lowest level of tech you can.  Darts are a waste when used for giga tames because of the high material cost, especially shock darts, and the long reload time of the longneck (which with any amount of lag will allow the giga's torpor to actually start dropping again, requiring even more shots and even more wasted mats).  Arrows and crossbow will KO them just fine, and if you are trapping there is no need at all to do anything else but a stout crossbow.  Only use darts on things you have a chance of killing with a crossbow.  Crossbows are also cheaper to make, easier to find, cheaper to repair, and have nearly double the firing rate of a longneck to ensure you are overlapping torpor delivery of your shots.  Tranq arrows are also easier in all respects as well:  Much less of a materials glutton when compared to darts (or shock darts)...  Unless you just need to be telling people that you use shock darts because they are so upper-crust and fancy?

About keeping the beast unconscious, that is very hard.  Gigas have insanely high torpor drop, no getting around that.  Using biotoxin or narcotic or narcoberries, doesn't really matter which one if you give it enough.  I specifically berry-KO them because it is pretty fast and easy to get 3-4k berries in a short amount of time.  But with a torpor pool of over 90000, and a torpor timer of under 4 minutes, it can be really tricky any way you try it. 

Berries give 750 torpor over 5 minutes per stack.  If I am doing a tame I'll take 1K with me (pretty easy to get that many).  I'll let the torpor drop ~8K and feed all 10 stacks of berries, that gives me 50 minutes to get back to base and get the last 2K or so.  Come back about 48 minutes later, babysit for 2 minutes, let torpor fall again, feed the 2K once its fallen enough, and then you are basically done.  Then you get to keep the 800-1000 narcotics you would've spent on the tame and used a resource you can literally pick up off the ground.  I don't know, it just makes more sense to do it that way to me.

It might be because I am playing on a PVE laggy server. There is no way I can let the torpor go down to far because it never goes back up. Even after pumping 1000's of narcs. It might go up a couple hundred but then right back down. It is so weird to watch. I am certain now it is cause of the lag issues of PVE

On 1/5/2018 at 9:57 PM, invincibleqc said:

You guys are doing it wrong. Take in example you want to tame a Giga lvl 150 on x1 taming rate. Since it has 99,400 torpor and that a Shocking Dart deals 442 total torpor, you will need 225 Shocking Darts. Once it is down, assuming you tame it with kibbles, it will take approximately 2 hours 15 minutes to tame. You will need approximately 1,000 narcotics. Now, since each narcotics fills 40 torpor, just wait until the Torpor of the Giga is dropped lower than 59,499 and feed it all the 1,000 narcotics that will takes 8,000 seconds to fills or in other words; ~2 hours 15 minutes. Put your kibbles on the Giga, go take a nap and come back later to ride your brand new tamed Giga.

This. The thing is, since Aberration, this does not seem to work. I can down a 120 giga and in under a minute and a half it is awake. The torpor drain has gone up astronomically since they "fixed" rage mechanics. I believe this may be related to the new longer imprint times and such they changed. In fact everything related to time seems to be WAY off. I noticed that while indoors and sitting at home, I still lose 0.1 food every four to five seconds. It was not that high previously. Basically everything seems to drain much faster now.

As for gigas, I blew over 10k narcoberries last time around before taming it. It just drains so insanely fast!

Archived