Tips for surviving official pvp?

Hazmatt99

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ya, lets try and get back on topic though. 

if you ask me for advice on official pvp

I would say, build completely hidden. 

only tame exactly what you need and keep tames hidden with beds nearby them. 

Trust someone at your own risk, they probably just want to know where your stuff is. 

never use auto-turrets or defences as they will get your stuff found. 

Pay attention to who you are killing to try and get loot. (make sure they aren't the most established tribe)

play somewhat along these lines(the better you get at it the less you will lose)

or.. play in a tribe thats big enough someone is always online, nothing else has a chance on official pvp

which is why i present the alternative, only pvp on orp servers, where you can still hide to get started but you can certainly build a defendable base when your ready. 

also a note defence in this game can be pretty fun ,and  while the base defences arent balenced for nobody being online, they are perfect for when you are online.

biggest tip on base defence i have is get rid of the players first, kill them however you like, grab them and throw them in your turrets or whatever works best, then while most players are dead, start killing any dinos/and blowing up any structure they have in the area. Do this with enough creativity and efficiently and you can defend even when outnumbered. 

The problem with playing without orp is.. 

1. strategically bad to raid bases while the players are online

2. defences aren't much of a threat when no players are online. 

so if you enjoy hiding things and breaking into hidden stuff, non orp could be for you.

if you prefer actual combat against players and fights that take thought and planning then the only place you will find that is ORP servers or being part of a REALLY big tribe. 

we were planning to adapt a hidden turret boat design to a base later down the road, basically it would trip when someone tries to break down a door and reveal a bunch of auto turrets far too late for people to react. But for now we're mostly hidden, we're like level 70 and just got our first tame we actually plan on using instead of a pet. An argie that we're gonna use to cover long distances to put bases in various hidden locations. planning on putting a transport hub somewhere that we can warp to and grab tames to move stuff around. Still trying to figure out if we should get some harvesting tames and where to keep them. I basically just plan to use them as harvesting tools.

17 hours ago, MandaBear said:

lol no worries for the disclaimer, I wasn't saying anything like that. Just had a laugh over seeing our fight make its way back into a forum I was already posting in. ^_^ Even if he as a person is terrible to play with, his videos are still quite smart and think outside of the box. Helps people who don't have a big tribe at their disposal.

His videos generally show him abusing trolls' intentions against themselves. Common sense dictates that if you see a base you stay away, you don't try to open other people's boxes and you don't pick fights to get yourself ahead on other people's efforts. His traps generally abuse people's lack of common sense and lack of manners. So a better statement would be that he's terrible to play against, because he legitimately has you scared poopless.

2 hours ago, Saeora said:

You'll want a decent sized tribe. You'll also want to preplan your base design. You can actually place up to four walls (on stone foundations for extra security

we're only 3 people and wont be adding anymore unless they're friends of ours and trustworthy. And I've seen videos where they've gotten up to 20 walls or basically enough walls to completely fill a foundation width. my current hideout 2x2x1 metal on the inside with smithy forge and fab, and green painted stone on the outside, though I probably will refrain from using some of those building mechanics until further in the future because ark doesn't show snap points accurately and keeps placing structures in the wrong spot, its really frustrating and wasteful.

putting 20 walls on a single foundation is not smart, soon as someone sees that, they will just blow up the foundation instead. There are better way to stack foundations and walls. You will never have a big base in official pvp with only a few people, that is fact of life. If you want to continue to play on pvp official you need to stay small and spread out, being concentrated just makes the alphas job easier. 

10 hours ago, Trainingmacro said:

His videos generally show him abusing trolls' intentions against themselves. Common sense dictates that if you see a base you stay away, you don't try to open other people's boxes and you don't pick fights to get yourself ahead on other people's efforts. His traps generally abuse people's lack of common sense and lack of manners. So a better statement would be that he's terrible to play against, because he legitimately has you scared poopless.

lol he has a different personality in game vs his youtube channel. I hope you understand that. A noob trap like you are talking about is a bit different than offline demolishing literally every single base his tribe can get their hands on. Things like that kill a server, and I promise you its depressing to see a bunch of decent people leave before they ever even got a chance to get started. And no, we are not afraid of him. He can't push us off of the servers we run, even though he has been trying to for a while. 

Anyone know a good place to hide a boat on the island? im talking like a decked out war boat for hunting poop. Or a way to make a boat not desirable to sink. I was thinking just empty storage and leave the doors open but i know people are assholes so that wont work for everyone. A good hiding place suggestion would also be appreciated.

You can make a boat undesirable to sink by building a dock around it containing lots of plants and c4 trapped plants. Other than that, boats are always easy to spot and thus always easy to keep track off and destroy. If you made a bunker for example, I'd just say to cover the exposed areas with stone and paint the stone green. Alternatively you could use crop plots to hide the bunker making it look like soil and plants to the untrained eye flying over above. In the water... well water is translucent and your boat is not.

Ima see what i can do about concealing it in a disguised "broken" building on the beach. Or maybe just straight out in the shallow water or against some rocks. Really all it would take is a dino gate and enough room underneath the building for a boat to fit without poking out the top. Might be good for keeping water tames too which we've been looking into because we'd like to set up something underwater, if nothing else to quickly grab silica pearls from.

On 1/10/2018 at 11:03 PM, Hazmatt99 said:

we were planning to adapt a hidden turret boat design to a base later down the road, basically it would trip when someone tries to break down a door and reveal a bunch of auto turrets far too late for people to react. But for now we're mostly hidden, we're like level 70 and just got our first tame we actually plan on using instead of a pet. An argie that we're gonna use to cover long distances to put bases in various hidden locations. planning on putting a transport hub somewhere that we can warp to and grab tames to move stuff around. Still trying to figure out if we should get some harvesting tames and where to keep them. I basically just plan to use them as harvesting tools.

Not sure how that will work. If all the raiders do is knock down a door it wont cause a section to collapse as the structure that is destroyed needs to be a load bearing structure. You can't build something off of a door.

You could put C4 on said door and when the door is destroyed the c4 blows killing the raider and the door frame which reveals the turrets to finish off his/her friends and tames.

55 minutes ago, Hazmatt99 said:

Ima see what i can do about concealing it in a disguised "broken" building on the beach. Or maybe just straight out in the shallow water or against some rocks. Really all it would take is a dino gate and enough room underneath the building for a boat to fit without poking out the top. Might be good for keeping water tames too which we've been looking into because we'd like to set up something underwater, if nothing else to quickly grab silica pearls from.

Good water dinos for pearl collection: Angler Fish, Diplocallus

Good water dinos for metal stone and flint: Dunkleo

Good water dinos for wood: Beaver

The only resource I have had issue with getting living a nomadic life in the past on the ocean was CP. Harvesting Chitin has been an alternative. So has leaving my boat and heading inland to get beaver dams. One thing I have been trying with a promising amount o success is using a frog on those underwater scorpion creatures. They seem to give a good amount of chitin and black pearl is a plus as well.

2 hours ago, johnm81 said:

Good water dinos for pearl collection: Angler Fish, Diplocallus

Good water dinos for metal stone and flint: Dunkleo

Good water dinos for wood: Beaver

The only resource I have had issue with getting living a nomadic life in the past on the ocean was CP. Harvesting Chitin has been an alternative. So has leaving my boat and heading inland to get beaver dams. One thing I have been trying with a promising amount o success is using a frog on those underwater scorpion creatures. They seem to give a good amount of chitin and black pearl is a plus as well.

we intend to have fliers so going inland for beaver dams wont be an issue, I've come up with a boat design that is a modification of onewing's alpha hunting boat, it has a 3x1 hidden room that you can enter, only accessible from underwater that contains a smithy, preserving bin, and accessible beds that allow you to fast travel from them. There is nothing on top currently but i intend to put some forges that I can use when I need them and other crafting structure that I'll leave empty most of the time. 

The only problem is I have no way to seal off the rudder from damage while still making it accessible to drive and without making it vulnerable to explosions or metal tools at night for the occasional asshole that likes to break boats even though it looks like there's nothing of value on it. Onewing originally was able to put a hatchframe with a trapdoor above the rudder to protect and still access however this doesn't work anymore, it will protect it but you cant access it so you might as well have a ceiling there. If anyone knows a way to work around the bug that prevents access through trapdoors let me know. 

My only fallback for this is to encase the rudder with a 1x1x1 cube but as you said, if there is a door, people will break it to see what's inside, and then they have access to the rudder, alternatively I could just break the trap door whenever we're using the boat and replace it when offline but that's a pain and a waste of resources.

also for your water tames, how can I secure those? they're pretty small so I imagine just an underwater pen will do, I'm guessing there's not much in the way of hiding that you can do for water tames huh? 

4 minutes ago, Hazmatt99 said:

we intend to have fliers so going inland for beaver dams wont be an issue, I've come up with a boat design that is a modification of onewing's alpha hunting boat, it has a 3x1 hidden room that you can enter, only accessible from underwater that contains a smithy, preserving bin, and accessible beds that allow you to fast travel from them. There is nothing on top currently but i intend to put some forges that I can use when I need them and other crafting structure that I'll leave empty most of the time. 

The only problem is I have no way to seal off the rudder from damage while still making it accessible to drive and without making it vulnerable to explosions or metal tools at night for the occasional asshole that likes to break boats even though it looks like there's nothing of value on it. Onewing originally was able to put a hatchframe with a trapdoor above the rudder to protect and still access however this doesn't work anymore, it will protect it but you cant access it so you might as well have a ceiling there. If anyone knows a way to work around the bug that prevents access through trapdoors let me know. 

My only fallback for this is to encase the rudder with a 1x1x1 cube but as you said, if there is a door, people will break it to see what's inside, and then they have access to the rudder, alternatively I could just break the trap door whenever we're using the boat and replace it when offline but that's a pain and a waste of resources.

also for your water tames, how can I secure those? they're pretty small so I imagine just an underwater pen will do, I'm guessing there's not much in the way of hiding that you can do for water tames huh? 

1. Encase your raft in foundations with the one over your rudder double sunk like how it must be done now. Then place a ceiling over the rudder when not in use over night. Demo it when you log on. But in all reality most people will not damage their tools wacking at a blank raft or one with unlocked crates that they have looted trash items from. They will go and move on. There is a risk to demoing a raft for no reason. You show up on the owner tribe log unlike if you break open a box.

2. Yes all the animals I put down are water breathing so put them in a underwater pen in the middle of some kelp on the sea bed.

With that said, you don't HAVE to use animals as a pirate. Esp if you play on ragnarok that has lots of underwater metal and obsidian nodes. The limiting factor is the CP. But if you are going to have fliers then beaver dams should fix that issue.

1 minute ago, Hazmatt99 said:

LOL nevermind, preserving bin is technically considered underwater like this, wont work. Well whatever, just means I won't be able to store food down there I can work with that. Ill just use the hidden compartment as storage and a fast travel point.

Or put the bin on the raft and push it into some terrain so its not visible and can't be reached.

4 minutes ago, johnm81 said:

1. Encase your raft in foundations with the one over your rudder double sunk like how it must be done now. Then place a ceiling over the rudder when not in use over night. Demo it when you log on. But in all reality most people will not damage their tools wacking at a blank raft or one with unlocked crates that they have looted trash items from. They will go and move on. There is a risk to demoing a raft for no reason. You show up on the owner tribe log unlike if you break open a box.

2. Yes all the animals I put down are water breathing so put them in a underwater pen in the middle of some kelp on the sea bed.

With that said, you don't HAVE to use animals as a pirate. Esp if you play on ragnarok that has lots of underwater metal and obsidian nodes. The limiting factor is the CP. But if you are going to have fliers then beaver dams should fix that issue.

don't need to double drop, I'm able to put a foundation at the level of the raft. idk why others have that problem lol. I'm probably going to encase it anyway because then it also prevents the raft from getting murdered by some animals overnight, i think. Im not sure but I assume that as long as an animal doesn't have an opening to the actual raft it can't damage it, with the exception of leeds of course. 

as for underwater pen, it looks like thicker kelp is in very deep ocean, building a concealed base there will be easy but getting down there might be another story, I don't think we have access to the scuba gear yet which I'm guessing is something you would need to actually survive the trip. I don't want to have to use lazarus  chowder and fight off megalodons every time I want to go get my tames. guessing the only solution for this is wait til level 81 huh?

28 minutes ago, johnm81 said:

Or put the bin on the raft and push it into some terrain so its not visible and can't be reached.

I was considering this but I will probably avoid doing this, because while it does visibly hide things its also somewhat suspicious. Some people are aware of the fact that you can clip buildings through walls and those are the dangerous ones, I want those people to glance over my boat without thinking twice. I might do it on a different raft but this is one I intend to use regularly.

16 minutes ago, Hazmatt99 said:

guessing the only solution for this is wait til level 81 huh?

Yes. Levels are important. Run along the beach naked owning nothing but a stone hatchet and stone pick and harvest every tree you can pick every plant fiber you can and just make tons of wooden dino gates or bows. The xp adds up quickly. And if you die... who cares just respawn and continue till you are at your level.

i mean using this hunting boat we can easily just kill alphas and other big things, so we all level up and also gain materials and meat for those fliers. Though i am curious about that because if that works really fast i might do it for farming more levels, is it effective for level 70-100?

also anyone know how to lock a ballista? i heard you could but i dont have the option.

2 hours ago, Hazmatt99 said:

i mean using this hunting boat we can easily just kill alphas and other big things, so we all level up and also gain materials and meat for those fliers. Though i am curious about that because if that works really fast i might do it for farming more levels, is it effective for level 70-100?

also anyone know how to lock a ballista? i heard you could but i dont have the option.

Making tons of things like narcotics, dino gates, bows ect is waaaay more effective...

Archived