Tips for surviving official pvp?

Hazmatt99

I haven't seen any suggestions for orp on here yet. 

playing pvp on an ORP(offline raid protection) server is much more manageable in pvp

especially since hiding your base only works better on orp, as they have to come visit your hidden spot just to see if your online. 

in my opinion base defences aren't balenced for your tribe to log out, anything that can be found on non orp servers can be raided. 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Juggernaut said:

Stay off official unless you have a big tribe and can seek a ton of time. If you will small they will find you eventually and wipe you. Plus official is toxic. No admins to clean up the rift raft.

Yeah but at least you have a massive world of many many servers that makes the game feel truly massive on official.

7 hours ago, Juggernaut said:

Stay off official unless you have a big tribe and can seek a ton of time. If you will small they will find you eventually and wipe you. Plus official is toxic. No admins to clean up the rift raft.

We're so spread out and hidden and still spreading, they broke a our boat right next to a storage location that was straight out in the open, they left the storage alone, we're just going to spread out further and gain more. Eventually they wont be able to wipe us out, cant wipe what you cant find.

Granted we've lasted longer on a hostile server but i feel pretty confident about this.

May be still too early to tell but i think i can confidently say though if you try to go toe to toe with an alpha, theres no way to win, they will always have more time and resources, but you can trip their feet and pull some shady moves and secure your stuff, slow and steady.

1 minute ago, OrisRas said:

best tip i have is go to unofficial lol. sorry dont take it personal guys and gals that play OF

Most of us give the same advice. No one from Official will really disagree. Official is just there if you want to play Ark without admin support for when you inevitably lose dozens to hundreds of hours of your time. 

1 minute ago, iAmE said:

Most of us give the same advice. No one from Official will really disagree. Official is just there if you want to play Ark without admin support for when you inevitably lose dozens to hundreds of hours of your time. 

Ik some wont, but I've made this comment before and there's always one that likes to think OF is the best thing about ARK and whenever someones trashs OF they think their world ended.

Just now, OrisRas said:

Ik some wont, but I've made this comment before and there's always one that likes to think OF is the best thing about ARK and whenever someones trashs OF they think their world ended.

Yeah. I'm just salty over the recent debacle. They rolled back OF servers 2-3 hours today and deleted a couple hundred characters. Half my tribe lost their characters because they transferred, and Wildcard Support isn't allowed to restore characters, dinos, items or TEKgrams. 

6 hours ago, iAmE said:

False. I am from official (used to play some unofficial) and I disagree.

6 hours ago, OrisRas said:

It doesn't bother me to trash official. Official has its share of problems that it deserves trashing for. But I enjoy the thrill and challenge of surviving in a hostile environment in a survival game. The environment isn't hostile enough thus I find the challenge with other players on a massive network from around the world. That is official.

yes there is an official EU cluster that is ORP, i put in a suggestion for an NA cluster. 

Think about it though, even fighting a losing battle is more fun while your online.

I feel like the pvp in general needs to shift towards orp servers. 

Its just too easy to get into and ruin a base that has 100s of hours of work put into it. 

its not really fun offline raiding bases to me. 

and in my opinion when bases are offline raided all the fun for attackers and defenders is wasted. 

10 minutes ago, Hazmatt99 said:

There's plenty of salt to go around, unfortunately many alphas havent tasted much salt in a long time, they need it reintroduced in their diet.

This is why they will wipe anyone that's a threat.  It's part of the problem.

After being wiped off of several officials both in tribes and solo, I'm pretty sick of official.  Every time we were wiped it was by offline raiding.  Everyone has to sleep. 

If they allowed picking up wilds on PVE I'd be happy doing that.  It is kind of a hassle when there are buildings out there in your way you can't destroy.

I'd like to see an option to have a headquarter area that is PVE, no one can hurt anyone in it (or from it).  So you'd create a tribe and drop a flag somewhere.  You could then have perpetual PVP without fear of being wiped.  The headquarter flag COULD be moved I suppose, perhaps costing a few hundred metal to build a mobile command unit (which could be destroyed but it would have to be hard, say 100,000hp.   What do you guys think of that?

The last official I enjoyed were notame pvp servers as there aren't many true alphas on that server because you are on on foot and being on foot is only so dominate. Plus boat wars are nice and is makes trekking across the map a lot more dangerous given you can't just fly, eat, or run away from wild dinos. They limited movement speed on these servers given most pvp is on foot and high movement speed is OP. I play on nonofficial crossark servers now for taming, and occasionally on the OF pvp notames. 

1 hour ago, Blobert said:

After being wiped off of several officials both in tribes and solo, I'm pretty sick of official.  Every time we were wiped it was by offline raiding.  Everyone has to sleep. 

If they allowed picking up wilds on PVE I'd be happy doing that.  It is kind of a hassle when there are buildings out there in your way you can't destroy.

I'd like to see an option to have a headquarter area that is PVE, no one can hurt anyone in it (or from it).  So you'd create a tribe and drop a flag somewhere.  You could then have perpetual PVP without fear of being wiped.  The headquarter flag COULD be moved I suppose, perhaps costing a few hundred metal to build a mobile command unit (which could be destroyed but it would have to be hard, say 100,000hp.   What do you guys think of that?

I'm not trying to be mean but this would dramatically change the playing field on pvp servers, because of the way the breeding works , tribes would bring there lvl 800 spinos to pvp servers and just kill everything lol. 

Still though, would love to see more live pvp action in this game. 

With the current state of things anything you build that can be found on official pvp will be wiped, it creates a problem of players making a base, big or small on official pvp servers, then the more they "defend" or "upgrade" the base, the more rewarding it looks to raid into when they log off.. 

so the more effort they put in the more likely they are to lose all of it. 

simply adding in ORP changes this dynamic, because while the turrets wont save your base while your offline, they CAN save your base if your online defending it. 

Without orp the turret(s) will just get your stuff destroyed. 

So without orp you either haven't been found or your in a big enough tribe that someone is always online. 

On 1/6/2018 at 1:09 PM, johnm81 said:

There are many different styles of small group or solo play. Some people find the thrill and challenge so much fun that they only play that way. One player that comes to mine is @Bramboxc123 and his style involves no tames and building up in hidden bases in caves then comes out and cannon griefs alphas. My own style involves living on boats and using no tames except maybe a dolphin. I use hidden turret boat designs as shown by XonewingX a popular youtuber. I also exploit the fact that you can build a small base on a boat then push it into terrain.

There are MANY other different strats and metas for surviving in a truly hostile environment that work... and many that have yet to be discovered! 

Bramboxc's thread: 

xOneWingX's Video:

lol funny you post that particular video. That's our base he used that initial build on in the snow just a week or so after new servers came out. He had a "small difference" to the boat he actually used because that video was recorded months before he released it. I chased him across the map on my spino after he blew up 2 of our boats with that crap. Dude is horrible to have on your server and kills it by constantly terrorizing the noobs day in and day out. ¬¬

51 minutes ago, MandaBear said:

lol funny you post that particular video. That's our base he used that initial build on in the snow just a week or so after new servers came out. He had a "small difference" to the boat he actually used because that video was recorded months before he released it. I chased him across the map on my spino after he blew up 2 of our boats with that crap. Dude is horrible to have on your server and kills it by constantly terrorizing the noobs day in and day out. ¬¬

The information that is shown here is but the tool. How individual players use it is a different matter. To reference his material is in no way an endorsement to the ways he (or anyone for that matter) has decided to use it.

9 hours ago, johnm81 said:

The information that is shown here is but the tool. How individual players use it is a different matter. To reference his material is in no way an endorsement to the ways he (or anyone for that matter) has decided to use it.

lol no worries for the disclaimer, I wasn't saying anything like that. Just had a laugh over seeing our fight make its way back into a forum I was already posting in. ^_^ Even if he as a person is terrible to play with, his videos are still quite smart and think outside of the box. Helps people who don't have a big tribe at their disposal.

22 hours ago, Blobert said:

there is a set of servers out there where you can build a base in pve scorched earth and then transfer to pvp island or center, or at least there was before i took a long break from the game. The only difference was it was a primitive server, anything remotely high tech was removed from the game, including flame arrows, which kinda sucked.

1 minute ago, Hazmatt99 said:

there is a set of servers out there where you can build a base in pve scorched earth and then transfer to island or center, or at least there was before i took a long break from the game. The only difference was it was a primitive server, anything remotely high tech was removed from the game, which kinda sucked.

the problem with pure PVE is that EVERYTHING anyone owns is invulnerable to attack.  This means that a thatch foundation built by a day 1 noob that hasn't logged in for a month can totally ruin your day.   I'm suggesting basically a safe zone for a tribe and anything outside that small area is vulnerable.  ORP isn't really invulnerability, it just reduces damage requiring more resources to raid a base.

Just now, Blobert said:

the problem with pure PVE is that EVERYTHING anyone owns is invulnerable to attack.  This means that a thatch foundation built by a day 1 noob that hasn't logged in for a month can totally ruin your day.   I'm suggesting basically a safe zone for a tribe and anything outside that small area is vulnerable.  ORP isn't really invulnerability, it just reduces damage requiring more resources to raid a base.

the servers i was on were actually not like that, the people who owned a local area by the river actually put pillars on the river to prevent people from building there so everyone had access to water. Sure there were trolls but from what i saw there wasnt many, that just falls down to the same problem as normal official servers which is try to find a good one. 

20 hours ago, MikeLitorus said:

I'm not trying to be mean but this would dramatically change the playing field on pvp servers, because of the way the breeding works , tribes would bring there lvl 800 spinos to pvp servers and just kill everything lol. 

Still though, would love to see more live pvp action in this game. 

With the current state of things anything you build that can be found on official pvp will be wiped, it creates a problem of players making a base, big or small on official pvp servers, then the more they "defend" or "upgrade" the base, the more rewarding it looks to raid into when they log off.. 

so the more effort they put in the more likely they are to lose all of it. 

simply adding in ORP changes this dynamic, because while the turrets wont save your base while your offline, they CAN save your base if your online defending it. 

Without orp the turret(s) will just get your stuff destroyed. 

So without orp you either haven't been found or your in a big enough tribe that someone is always online. 

thank you,

What would be preventing transferring tames that way now?  I am suggesting an option on unofficial that would allow tribes to set up a single base that is basically raid proof.   this way you'd have to concentrate on resource denial instead of offline wiping.  the people and dino's within the area of effect would not be affected by it.  So tames and survivors in the area of effect could be killed.  If they were behind a wall, they would be protected.  I think with any change there will be exploits.  Bottom line our good stuff won't be destroyed if you build you base carefully.

4 minutes ago, Hazmatt99 said:

the servers i was on were actually not like that, the people who owned a local area by the river actually put pillars on the river to prevent people from building there so everyone had access to water. Sure there were trolls but from what i saw there wasnt many, that just falls down to the same problem as normal official servers which is try to find a good one. 

I'm suggesting a PVP option due to the inherent issues with persistent structures (like you mentioned) on a PVE server.  They could just as easily have gated off all the water, and nothing could be done about it.

59 minutes ago, Blobert said:

thank you,

What would be preventing transferring tames that way now?  I am suggesting an option on unofficial that would allow tribes to set up a single base that is basically raid proof.   this way you'd have to concentrate on resource denial instead of offline wiping.  the people and dino's within the area of effect would not be affected by it.  So tames and survivors in the area of effect could be killed.  If they were behind a wall, they would be protected.  I think with any change there will be exploits.  Bottom line our good stuff won't be destroyed if you build you base carefully.

would probably be a good mod for some unofficials ya, and i thought you meant transfer tames from a pve official onto pvp official. That wouldn't be very good. 

Archived