Tips for surviving official pvp?

Hazmatt99

Wondering what kind of things you guys have come up with to survive against alphas in a pvp server. Im not looking for like a perfect raid proof base or some bs, there will be losses i accept that, im just looking for suggestions to minimize losses and grind. Ill take any ideas besides us joining another tribe.

Some ideas that we intend to work with are spreading out through multiple bases across the map for 2 reasons, 1 being that if one location gets raided we dont lose everything, and the other being that we can put them in strategic locations for harvesting and storing certain materials (i.e. building in the mountain to quickly harvest metal), we'd fast travel between these locations and come back with a transport mount if we need to collect or move the resources. This way the collecting and the transporting doesnt need to be done in 1 step.

Next, these spread out bases would likely be a compacted 1x1x1 design like those showcased on youtube or in forums, to store things and act as spawn point. Will likely attempt to conceal these huts with paint.

These are just to get started. Im looking for other things that might help this start but more importantly for the near future. For example where to keep certain tames, how to keep them safe and/or concealed, when to get them? Should we bother with defending with turrets and what kind should we focus on (when starting out anyway)? Tips for staying hidden (i.e. should we worry about where we leave characters when offline because of tek visors seeing through walls)? Tips on farming for kibble (again trying to reduce grind)? When building a main base should we be in a particular biome or location? 

Lemme know if you guys have any hints that you've discovered. To reiterate, im just trying to survive and keep active with minimal grind, low maintenance, and above all, minimal frustration.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Minimal frustration is to not build on a server at all until you know for sure if the alpha of that server is even willing to let you stay. If they aren't, it doesn't matter how much you spread out. They will find your bases eventually, and will foundation wipe them. You will also be gunned down each time you are seen out of it, and may even be followed back so they can find them easier. I don't say any of this because I'm an angry pvp player either. That's just the way that most servers are. Especially after the turret change. 

After you find a server that you at least start off as neutral with the alphas on, then any advice I'd give you would depend on tribe size and map type. ^_^ 

• Volunteer Moderator

I generally look for a decent server with decent alphas first. I would rather not waste my time with servers that have toxic alphas. 

Then i start small and keep my base hidden. I keep my stuff hidden in rivers that you cant see in and under coral.

Then as i continue to store and make stuff in a couple days i throw my base up overnight after having species x planted the day before and turrets up so i have defenses. So people wonder where that base came from. 

I have also lived on servers for months living in blown in buildings mine and others building up. People rarely look twice at a building with alot of holes in it.

Living in boats is fun for a while or in underwater caves as well. I have pretty much tried it all from single player to alpha tribe to living every way possible. Find what works for you and do it. 

Bottom line i know i will be raided at anytime and could care less about any times or items i own...

Being able to hide on pvp servers is a great advantage, although setting down foundations will make the trees and rocks around it unable to respawn, so your base will eventually become completely exposed. If you want to remain hidden I suggest building a base without foundations, such as spiked walls, dinosaur gates, or large storage boxes.

Once your ready to build a real base with foundations, there is still a trick you can do to keep some trees around your base. Build a fence perimeter around your base and make sure not to cut down any trees inside of your wall. Saropods like Brontos or diplodocus wont be able to get to them and knock them down. Just make sure the wall is high enough.

Of course trees outside of the walls will still be susceptible to getting cut down, but at least you have some trees covering your base from the air in case raiders are scouting on flying creatures.

You could wing it and build a base out of foundations and just hope that no trees will get cut down around it, but I find that hard to sleep at night. Either build with no foundations or go all out with a fortified base.

Some good feedback, most of this stuff i learned through past horrible experiences.

Most recently though @Matt6123 we did actually build a foundation base in the woods and stayed hidden for a long time because the trees basically never went away, the only problem was when we got too comfortable thinking the alphas werent hostile, built fast and large and in the open and then got almost fully wiped.

Our current situation is on a seemingly dead island server, nothing that i would really call an alpha, like people are strong enough to have control of certain regions but not the entire server and there hasnt been too much in the way of rageposting in chat. Like we're built straight out in the open and the worst that happened was some jackass ran along the beach giving people swamp fever lol. I havent even seen a wyvern.

And @Captnmorgan thats basically what we were planning on for when we build our main base, we were also thinking because of the turret limit we should back ourselves into a corner so there's only 1 way in and the turrets can focus fire. Know any place like that? Like a cave that doesnt count as underwater so it doesn't take more damage. Also id like to live on a boat but you cant put it in open water  since the leeds came out so im kinda meh about that right now.

And @Pic1 sowwy but we aint joining an alpha, trust issues both ways would prevent cohesiveness, id honestly be sketched out by an alpha that does let us join.

Basically what im looking for now is where is a good location for a main base (we're on the island), again thinking of a cave where we can back ourselves into a corner but im open to other ideas like just in the woods. Also im wondering like where are locations what i can farm a decent amount of materials from with relatively low risk where i can build a small hut? Like i know a good location for beaver dams to get cementing paste and wood, i know a good location for stone, i need to find it again but i knew of a spot for silica pearls, wondering about one for metal and obsidian where again its low risk. I could use multiple locations for these resources and also if you have good places to get resources that im not thinking of. And finally suggestions for transportation tames, easy to tame, can carry a good amount of weight, can move fast enough to run from most hostile animals, pteras are obvious but thinking more like a parasaur, are horses hard to tame?

12 minutes ago, Hazmatt99 said:

Basically what im looking for now is where is a good location for a main base (we're on the island), again thinking of a cave where we can back ourselves into a corner but im open to other ideas like just in the woods. Also im wondering like where are locations what i can farm a decent amount of materials from with relatively low risk where i can build a small hut? Like i know a good location for beaver dams to get cementing paste and wood, i know a good location for stone, i need to find it again but i knew of a spot for silica pearls, wondering about one for metal and obsidian where again its low risk. I could use multiple locations for these resources and also if you have good places to get resources that im not thinking of. And finally suggestions for transportation tames, easy to tame, can carry a good amount of weight, can move fast enough to run from most hostile animals, pteras are obvious but thinking more like a parasaur, are horses hard to tame?

I wouldn’t waste my time with a Parasaur, horses are great for transport and aren’t that hard to tame imo, as long as you have kibble or carrots. They’re quite rare on the island tho, maybe you could tame 1 on Ragnarok, then transfer it back to the island? As for base locations, I can’t really help you, I’m a noob when it comes to pvp.

2 hours ago, Hazmatt99 said:

Also wondering if you guys have good suggestions for compact base builds that take advantage of broken building mechanics, i know of a 1x1 cube that has a smithy forge and bed, and a 2x2x1 that also includes a vault and fab, wondering if you can fit more and how?

There are many different styles of small group or solo play. Some people find the thrill and challenge so much fun that they only play that way. One player that comes to mine is @Bramboxc123 and his style involves no tames and building up in hidden bases in caves then comes out and cannon griefs alphas. My own style involves living on boats and using no tames except maybe a dolphin. I use hidden turret boat designs as shown by XonewingX a popular youtuber. I also exploit the fact that you can build a small base on a boat then push it into terrain.

There are MANY other different strats and metas for surviving in a truly hostile environment that work... and many that have yet to be discovered! 

Bramboxc's thread: 

xOneWingX's Video:

@johnm81 Bruh this poop is fantastic, i already knew about onewing but i gotta brush up on some stuff. I never really thought about going completely no tame but honestly what ill probably do is keep some low level tames as basically harvesting tools, hide them in the woods somewhere and if they die then meh. 

What weve already started doing is just building small huts in the woods near a mountain in fairly hard to see areas and painted them green to blend in more. In each one we got a 2x1x1 base with everything we need at a low level and metal and obsidian and just up the hill.

I am interested in caves and we might end up doing some things differently but i will tell ya that using a cannon and c4 to raid some jerks will absolutely catch interest with my buddies, they've been waiting to get some revenge and if we can ruin someone's day out of a hut they're never gonna find theyre gonna be very excited.

9 hours ago, Hazmatt99 said:

@johnm81 Bruh this poop is fantastic, i already knew about onewing but i gotta brush up on some stuff. I never really thought about going completely no tame but honestly what ill probably do is keep some low level tames as basically harvesting tools, hide them in the woods somewhere and if they die then meh. 

What weve already started doing is just building small huts in the woods near a mountain in fairly hard to see areas and painted them green to blend in more. In each one we got a 2x1x1 base with everything we need at a low level and metal and obsidian and just up the hill.

I am interested in caves and we might end up doing some things differently but i will tell ya that using a cannon and c4 to raid some jerks will absolutely catch interest with my buddies, they've been waiting to get some revenge and if we can ruin someone's day out of a hut they're never gonna find theyre gonna be very excited.

Caves require a special kind of play style and special stats to deal with the very dangerous creatures that live there. But its those very same creatures that will flood you with chitin = CP and tons of metal/obsidian which will get you all the weapons you want. Just be careful of the spawn.... Read Bramboxc123's thread.

Instead of cannons you can also do ballistas to snipe auto turrets and then use rocket launchers to breach the base FYI.

PS if you live on a server that the Alpha is got all caves on lockdown with metal dino gates, make some cheap IEDs and blow them at the same time. Alpha wont know which cave you are going to go into and the damage bonus to structures in caves will make this very cheap bomb wreck an expensive metal dino gate.

My advice. Have 2 games going. A single player game  - than another one where you think you are going to survive on a hostile server in general (much to be learned). 

I learned quite a bit in Ark simply by getting salty with a griefer. 

I learned a lot more by doing my own thing and getting recruited by the most psychotic tribe I ever met (actually very nice people).

@Hazmatt99 One other thing, if you are going the route of caves and do want 'some' tames. You can save yourself a lot of pain and difficulty and instead of meleeing down creatures tame a few terrorbirds. They are the best of the best cavers. They can fit where even wolves and sabers can't, they harvest tons of chitin for armor/CP, and they can glide meaning you can set up bases where others usually can't go in caves. Plus you can use your tools and weapons while on them in case you are afraid to get off. They naturally lose torpor very quickly as well so the venomous creatures aren't hard for them.

Just be careful of megasaurs. Might need more than one highlevel (mutton tamed) terror bird to bring them down.

2 hours ago, Crows said:

It's simple: Play Aberration. No other map is fair for random/strangers in official PvP servers, unless you specifically know established tribes/alphas/megas. 

Aberration is perfect. No fliers, multiple hidden building spots, more balanced PvP. No overpowered Gigas, Brontos, Griffins (pick-machines), Titans, etc.

Balanced PvP? You don't think crabs jump / throwing stegos as turret drainers isn't an issue?

This is great, so apparently our server's alphas are worthless, they did a kill on sight server wipe last night and didnt find us thanks to multiple hidden bases, hidden storage, and some convenient help from the alpha's lackeys. They have a beta under their control and they dont even know where we live, they told em we live on a boat when really we just use that thing to get around, we apparently have 1 guy from the beta tribe helping us out and being nice but i think they're just doing a good cop bad cop routine because the other guys attacked us without a second thought. They broke the boat and never found us, we're not even hidden that well they just didn't bother looking. 

honestly @johnm81 i could take it or leave it at this point, living without tames is great, no maintenance, i could leave for a week and still feel like everything could be safe. do you know of any caves in the northeast of the island?

3 minutes ago, Hazmatt99 said:

This is great, so apparently our server's alphas are worthless, they did a kill on sight server wipe last night and didnt find us thanks to multiple hidden bases, hidden storage, and some convenient help from the alpha's lackeys. They have a beta under their control and they dont even know where we live, they told em we live on a boat when really we just use that thing to get around, we apparently have 1 guy from the beta tribe helping us out and being nice but i think they're just doing a good cop bad cop routine because the other guys attacked us without a second thought. They broke the boat and never found us, we're not even hidden that well they just didn't bother looking. 

honestly @johnm81 i could take it or leave it at this point, living without tames is great, no maintenance, i could leave for a week and still feel like everything could be safe. do you know of any caves in the northeast of the island?

There is one on carno island. But I would suggest either North Central or South 2. But Trust me get some high level terror birds...

HIGHRESMAP.png

8 minutes ago, Hazmatt99 said:

Always wanted to do what you are doing. I read a post somebody made 1-2 years ago about farming underwater because they were dodging the alpha tribe and underwater was best place for them. 

Archived