Will Ark end in 2018 after the spring DLC?

leondimitri

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, ArianaGaming said:

Hello,

I am surprised that non have written about the before and after retail release of ARK Survival Evolved. Clearly these are two different games both look the same but so much changed that I can only say two games.

Having only played Official and using single player to "figure things out" two forces are at work. Over crowded servers problem is one force and continued popularity of ARK Survival Evolved is the other. These two forces result in reality, get the "toxic" players out and continue to keep the game popular. Can WC do that or is the "problem" not possible to solve. I mean can they say get-out and get-in.

Before retail release ARK was funny. I had many laughs maybe because I played PvP. Now after release I play PvE and it is too hard in my opinion. People that play are super serious until one day all their Wyvern are gone and they end with uninstalling the game.

ARK II, if there is such thoughts need to be a mix of PvE and PvP. Hard to describe what I mean, but the idea is that a server cluster have one map PvE and the rest PvP maps. This was a mistake on a server cluster after retail release that after some time was corrected but until it was corrected the Island map was hugely popular since that was PvE and the Center plus Ragnarok was PvP (now all PvP).

Keeping the Official servers cheat free also resulted in lag and problems that I am not really sure about. When a game lag to much is a sign that a game is coming to the last station.

Hopeful for 2018.

Regards,

Ariana

/agree 100% that ARK needs designated PVP areas such as Restess was in SWG's NGE that can be turned off and on by server admins.  There is a mod being made now, that I'm watching very closely, to do just that.

I believe your usually correct about lag being a final factor in a game, but this one I s a bit different, it would seem.  Dying games reduce their bandwidth/connections/servers to save cash and that can cause the lag on those games. 

It looks to me that the lag in ARK  is mostly coming from their rendering system.  I just about get a lag spike every time I turn a wyvern in flight which means another screen has to come up with all the rendering contained therein.  I get lag spikes from entering the areas where my bases are (I'm unofficial so I've built mansions with many, many, parts.)  In fact, I hit the limit on The Center and had to re-design the entire deal and I've set the building part in area at max for the server.  These same problems with lag can and do cause the crashes where the engine just can't quite keep up with all the new stuff it has to render.   Your also correct that any double check system, such as the cheat system can and will slow things down.  I hate to say this, but I've taken off battleeye on my servers to get the processing speed back.

You might try unofficial to get away from the population/taming/difficulty problems.  I know our servers have about 10 regular players out of 60 and we just have not experienced any of these problems talked about frequently here.  Server admins on unofficial have the options to turn down or up difficulty as they will.  I know I've set The Island, our new player/leveling server, at very easy difficulty (compared to official) but the maps increase in difficulty on my cluster up to and including 10X over official with level 300 dinos.   We have all the maps and transfer between them just like we did in SWG going from Naboo to Tat so there is always a difficulty level befitting skill/levels/gear/tames/grouping.

There are many of these unofficial to choose from, I'm sure you will find one to fit your needs.

On 1/5/2018 at 4:40 PM, anubis3691 said:

It was mentioned in the future a possible Ark 2, but I don't think any solid confirmation.

On 1/5/2018 at 4:46 PM, PuffyPony said:

I think ARK 2 was just speculation by the community, I've not seen any official word on it personally

16 hours ago, edandbunny said:

Its a bit more than just simple speculation. While not a true official announcement, the conversations here on the forums got started after one of the Devs made mention about it in an interview. 

12 hours ago, ArkCreation said:

Q&A with dev? Yeah I'm sure it was a question brought up. but if they haven't released more info yet officially, I doubt it will happen. But time will tell.

I was confirmed By Jesse in a Press interview that Extinction is in fact the final Paid DLC for ARK and that the studio is moving on to another project after that.

ARK's success, what they learned, and how much can improve by starting from scratch were stated as the reasons.

Seeing as this was a Press Statement from one of Wild Card's founders, it's about as official as it gets from them.

I was confirmed By Jesse in a Press interview that Extinction is in fact the final Paid DLC for ARK and that the studio is moving on to another project after that.
ARK's success, what they learned, and how much can improve by starting from scratch were stated as the reasons.
Seeing as this was a Press Statement from one of Wild Card's founders, it's about as official as it gets from them.
Thanks Bacon for the complete clarification on that! [emoji4]

Hello,

Spinning of the idea of PvP in conjunction with PvE. Esquire1980 wrote about PvP area on a map and the rest PvE. I mean not a cross-ARK cluster, not a boss-arena that players transfer into. I mean one area say herb-Island on the Island map, constant battles and as one tribe settles to hold herb the game make the area extinct (big rock drops). Rinse and Repeat.

I just think that most people that play PvE wants fights and the nice quiet building, breeding 2levels/generation.

Is this a horrible idea?

Regards,

Ariana

Exinction is the name of the DLC but it doesnt mean the game is over. There are to many mods to make into DLC's for consoles. There are 15 mod maps waiting to be published plus 5 conversions and Ark 2 as well as ArkPark coming to VR. There is alot planned for Ark so dont worry survivors and fellow Arkadians there is more to come. Ark 2 is confirmed I spoke to an Ark Rep and it is planned but no real date as to when but he did hint that it would be a two to three years from now

Link?
It was over a month ago, I'll see if I can find it, but no promises.
Idk if this helps but this is where I remember reading about it. It seems for sure the idea has been tossed around. Some one is thinking about it at WC.

http://www.pcgamer.com/ark-survival-evolved-dev-thinks-it-needs-to-have-a-sequel-someday/

That's all I got.

18 hours ago, HalfSlabBacon said:

Thanks for the clarification. Well, anyway, that's cool. I just hope in the meantime we get more stuff like Ragnarok.

15 hours ago, ArianaGaming said:

Hello,

Spinning of the idea of PvP in conjunction with PvE. Esquire1980 wrote about PvP area on a map and the rest PvE. I mean not a cross-ARK cluster, not a boss-arena that players transfer into. I mean one area say herb-Island on the Island map, constant battles and as one tribe settles to hold herb the game make the area extinct (big rock drops). Rinse and Repeat.

I just think that most people that play PvE wants fights and the nice quiet building, breeding 2levels/generation.

Is this a horrible idea?

Regards,

Ariana

Nope, not a bad idea at all.

Here's what I'm watching.  I don't believe its done and quite up to par but the idea does show a lot of promise.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1107180668

On 1/5/2018 at 4:33 PM, leondimitri said:

So, I see a lot of people saying that the next DLC will be called exctinction and I also see them saying it'll be the last. So is ARK actually ending this year and no more DLCs are coming after this one? But if so, will there be another game eventually? Has anyone heard any word of the devs about it? I was kind of hoping that would still be a bunch of DLCs in the soon future :\.

A Dev has already said they will make ARK 2 and it will probably be soon because they need to cash in asap on the game's success before another studio comes up with a similar concept and does it better.

They will do ARK 2 and it will have some of the same bugs but slightly better because they will start from 0 and build up again.

It will probably be the same engine but using their current tools and fixes to improve the stuff they can't currently implement because of limitations of the old foundation code.

1 hour ago, anubis3691 said:

Idk if this helps but this is where I remember reading about it. It seems for sure the idea has been tossed around. Some one is thinking about it at WC.

http://www.pcgamer.com/ark-survival-evolved-dev-thinks-it-needs-to-have-a-sequel-someday/

That's all I got.

Doesn't appear to me to be a definite on anything as yet.  Just that WC is thinking ahead.  The article mentions 1-2 years down the line.

Many different studios have made mention and had/have thoughts about sequels.  SOE thought about SWG II which never came to pass, SOE did do a sequel to their own IP and both are still running today.

I doubt this means that ARK is "doomed" after the new expansion gets out, just that WC isn't going to give up on the idea of ARK even after the game slides down with normal attrition, which according to that article, isn't even thinking about happening yet.  Looks to me like we have many years to come.

I don't think they will soon make something like "ark 2" - because, why should you switch to a complete new game now?

Not 2018 - not this year.

Ark is making money and every attempt from other studios (haha.. conan exiles...) went straight down the toilet and will maybe never come back. Remember what Wow was doing when they were the "only big one in their niche" ? I think Ark will stay and continue with maybe more dlc.

• 2 months later...
On 1/5/2018 at 4:48 PM, anubis3691 said:
On 1/5/2018 at 3:52 PM, Cobretti said:
Regardless of what people's "gut feel" is, money makes the world go round and you simply don't end a game that is currently sitting 6th in steam's most played games. It makes no commercial sense. Whether that is a sequel or more DLC it remains to be seen but to just end and move on to another project with such a large player base is insane.
This is especially relevant seeing as the parent company has an appreciation of how difficult it is to crack this genre and gaming market in general with the failure of DnL. They are not going to close down a cash cow. 

I would agree with you, but my only opinion about your statement is then why in the world did Bungie give up Halo and go to Destiny... Smh I'll never understand that move.

Bungie didn't give up Halo. Bungie and Microsoft had joint rights to the game as Microsoft provided the extra funding necessary for the game to get off the ground. When Bungie finally decided it wanted to make Halo cross platform after the success of Halo Reach, Microsoft said no. After that Microsoft told Bungie they wouldn't let another Halo game be released with their name attached to it. So Microsoft offered to purchase Bungies portion of the rights to Halo as well as any game material they had regarding to the story and concepts. Seeing as they wouldn't be allowed to do anything else with Halo, they took the deal. That's why "The Traveler" closely resembles the Diadact Sphere from Halo 4. Theres also a Cortana chip Easter Egg in Destiny as well. 343 Studios was created by Microsoft to handle any and all Halo projects and staffed the company with former Bungie employees as well as a few programmers and writers who were Halo fans. So essentially Halo wasn't given up...it was forcefully taken. That's why the Halo Reach Multiplayer was shredded to pieces months before Halo 4 was released. Test trials were ran on Halo 4 Multiplayer vs Reach Multiplayer and Reach topped every single one. Everything that people liked the most about Reach Multiplayer got removed and put into Halo 4 Multiplayer by 343 Studios. It was the final stab in the back to Bungie, as Reach was Bungies last Halo game to be released with their name attached to it. 

...Ark 2 is not currently desired by me. Please, I don't want to bark on this but here are my thoughts on the matter. Whichever way Wildcard goes, I hope it brings them much success.

As long as the game engine is the same, I see no justification for such feat. Only if they migrated to another engine which is incompatible with the current one could I begin to understand the need for a new game that throws everything I have built and bred out the window.  

I love how Blizzard technically improved the base game World of Warcraft with Cataclysm. It was modular by design which allowed them to change things up years after the original release.  They made mounts fly in the original areas were as before it was only possible on the expansions. They rebuilt quests and landscapes while providing a lore to it all.

If Wildcard wants to redo the code and improve it, fine, they can do that, they should do that, but as long as we are talking about the same engine, its going to be a tough sell to me because you can update the code live and update the program as needed. Building on an existing game is what made WoW unreachable in the MMO market, there is so much balancing and attention to quality that contenders couldn't beat a game that was launched way back in Nov/2004, not to mention content, loads of content, there is even a pokemon-esque game there. While WoW`s strength has diminished over the years it is still going strong compared to other MMOs. Now, to be fair they have a subscription model which ensures recurring revenue, it is were Ark is more vulnerable because they only get more money with each expansion and not on a monthly basis or so it seems. 

There are other initiatives with the franchise though: 

- Ark Mobile with micro transactions

- PixArk (I imagine there is some royalty revenue there)

- Dark and Light (not sure about this one since it has its own coat but game wise it is identical)

- Ark Park

- Not to mention Ark expansions.

- I still wander if there isn't a deal with Nitrado so that Wildcard gets some share of servers rented there. They did officially recommend players to go Nitrado, it worked in my case as I never heard of Nitrado before, I even got friends to rent there so we could build a cluster. I am still a happy Nitrado customer.

So in short, am I willing to scrap 1600+ hours of my game and start over? Very unlikely. It is unlikely I will follow in the same intensity. My advice to Wildcard would be to improve the coding overtime and keep building on top of the current game until engine really becomes the issue itself.

Expansions are something I enjoy, I like new maps and critters. Official DLCs is also something I would be willing to take a look at because they would add to the game, not restart it as a whole.

I am looking forward to Extinction, I am very curious as to what it will be about. I still hope for some Tek Mechsuits and Tek vehicles, the Tek buggy is fun and that aircraft from Ark Park trailer is also cool. It would be nice to have the mechanical vs biological dilemma, vehicles would need fuel and ammo which could offset their power, not to mention the lack of roads and need for room to maneuver which would give an animal more of an advantage, since they can be all terrain from the get go. 

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Zubieh92 said:

I want more Dinos where are my Dinos?

People have been justifiably requesting Wildcard stop adding new dinos/content and revisit the pathetically long list of bugfixes, QoL improvements, and exploitable mechanics for years now. A little while back Wildcard actually decided that might be a good idea. (Fix the broken stuff instead of adding new stuff? That's preposterous!)

So, hopefully your new dinos are low enough on the priority list that WC can put as much focus on bugfixes as possible. In the meantime, I'm sure you could find plenty of new content on unofficial servers. Many have mods that add new dinos or change the mechanics of currently existing dinos so things can be fresh and exciting. 

Archived