Will Ark end in 2018 after the spring DLC?

leondimitri

So, I see a lot of people saying that the next DLC will be called exctinction and I also see them saying it'll be the last. So is ARK actually ending this year and no more DLCs are coming after this one? But if so, will there be another game eventually? Has anyone heard any word of the devs about it? I was kind of hoping that would still be a bunch of DLCs in the soon future :\.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, I see a lot of people saying that the next DLC will be called exctinction and I also see them saying it'll be the last. So is ARK actually ending this year and no more DLCs are coming after this one? But if so, will there be another game eventually? Has anyone heard any word of the devs about it? I was kind of hoping that would still be a bunch of DLCs in the soon future :\.
I don't believe it will "end". There's always a chance for more offical dlcs, and with the mod program we could see lots of additional maps and maybe even Dino's added.

It was mentioned in the future a possible Ark 2, but I don't think any solid confirmation.

Again tho, I see this game living a loooong life. In one way or another.

4 minutes ago, anubis3691 said:

I don't believe it will "end". There's always a chance for more offical dlcs, and with the mod program we could see lots of additional maps and maybe even Dino's added.

It was mentioned in the future a possible Ark 2, but I don't think any solid confirmation.

I think ARK 2 was just speculation by the community, I've not seen any official word on it personally

But yeah, I think it'll be akin to Fallout or TES as one of those games that, in five years, will still have an active, albeit smaller, player base. Mostly mod focused, I'd bet, but even so

4 minutes ago, MudPuppy said:

I feel that after the next DLC Ark will come to an end, as in no more development/integration or anything. It feels like WC is washing their hands of this (game) slowly but surely.

NOTE: this is my opinion

Hope not, asmuch as I sometimes HATE the poop this game throws at me, I'd hate to see it being left the way it is in it's current shape.

Regardless of what people's "gut feel" is, money makes the world go round and you simply don't end a game that is currently sitting 6th in steam's most played games. It makes no commercial sense. Whether that is a sequel or more DLC it remains to be seen but to just end and move on to another project with such a large player base is insane.

This is especially relevant seeing as the parent company has an appreciation of how difficult it is to crack this genre and gaming market in general with the failure of DnL. They are not going to close down a cash cow. 

Yeah, I think you guys are right... they might end the main storyline in the next DLC, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't do more paralel stories, or even expand the main story somehow. And yeah, from an economic view, it makes no sense to end so soon a game that is profiting, especially being like ARK that has such a great potential for stories and more content.

They only need two guys banging out two dlc a year and it will stay profitable until the release of ark 2. It's too easy too make a new map for them to stop making dlc. 

I mean they don't even have to try really, they can make a big water map, a big ice map, floating islands etc  people will love it easy money. Just add new looking armour and reskin a few creatures. 

Regardless of what people's "gut feel" is, money makes the world go round and you simply don't end a game that is currently sitting 6th in steam's most played games. It makes no commercial sense. Whether that is a sequel or more DLC it remains to be seen but to just end and move on to another project with such a large player base is insane.
This is especially relevant seeing as the parent company has an appreciation of how difficult it is to crack this genre and gaming market in general with the failure of DnL. They are not going to close down a cash cow. 
I would agree with you, but my only opinion about your statement is then why in the world did Bungie give up Halo and go to Destiny... Smh I'll never understand that move.

42 minutes ago, anubis3691 said:
1 hour ago, Cobretti said:

I would agree with you, but my only opinion about your statement is then why in the world did Bungie give up Halo and go to Destiny... Smh I'll never understand that move.

Unlike ARK, Halo has popular competitors, and Destiny was a move to a specific niche that was really only occupied by Borderlands at the time. As someone else pointed out, at the moment, ARK is the only really big name in its niche, so I don't think from a market perspective there's a lot of motivation to close up shop and move on for Wildcard or Snail Games

Unlike ARK, Halo has popular competitors, and Destiny was a move to a specific niche that was really only occupied by Borderlands at the time. As someone else pointed out, at the moment, ARK is the only really big name in its niche, so I don't think from a market perspective there's a lot of motivation to close up shop and move on for Wildcard or Snail Games
Where as you make very nice points.. let's all be honest here... There was never any REAL competition for Halo when Bungie owned it [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

1 hour ago, BloodyHarvest said:

Hope not, asmuch as I sometimes HATE the poop this game throws at me, I'd hate to see it being left the way it is in it's current shape.

with the way wc seems to be struggling with server performance and difficulty smashing long standing bugs as well as the multitude of bugs that get added with ea update, 

i think there is some difficulty in the base game code that is to ingrained in ever aspect of ark ,  that they will eventually have to start from scratch with a new game to continue.

when that will be is up for speculation.

14 minutes ago, anubis3691 said:

Where as you make very nice points.. let's all be honest here... There was never any REAL competition for Halo when Bungie owned it emoji16.pngemoji16.pngemoji16.pngemoji16.pngemoji16.pngemoji16.png

Call of Duty and Battlefield come to mind. Now, you have the creators of the two most successful FPS series ever working together on a joint series. That'd at least sound like it should put out some uber successful, super-high-quality games. ARK doesn't really have competition like that. Closest that I can think of is stuff like Dark and Light (which kinda flopped), Conan Exiles (also kinda flopped), or the bajillion post-apocalyptic open world survival games (i.e. 7 Days to Die), but those really fill a different niche in the gaming market and don't really have an iota of ARK's popularity anyway. 

All of the above points of view have merit.

On one hand ARK made STEAMS platinum list for 2017, meaning it was quite firmly in the top 12 most popular games on the service.  That's huge, especially for an EA title.  With it's strong support from the modding community ARK could have some very long legs, and putting out the occasional DLC to keep the cash flow active would seem like a no brainer.

On the other hand there were a lot of lessons learned in the creation of ARK.  Limitations of the game engine it is based on could well be a strong motivating factor to put all that they have learned to good use in a stronger and more robust form.  Say what you will about WC's attention to detail, they have proven to be a very motivated team with a strong creative drive.  At times this may have worked against them, but overall it has led to an amazing amount of success.  I have trouble seeing that drive completely focused in what will soon (if not already) be considered aging and somewhat limited technology.

This is pure speculation, but I believe WC will have at least a respectable amount of resources devoted to producing content for ARK for well beyond 2018, but I also believe that it won't be all that far down the road before we see their team expanded to work on an additional project or two.  Perhaps it's wishful thinking, but it's what I would be strongly considering if I were in their position.  To keep the supporting income stream flowing (with help from the amazing community of modders and players) from ARK, while using part of those proceeds to continue building the company via other innovative projects.

Time will tell.

8 hours ago, Cobretti said:

You bet!

http://store.steampowered.com/news/externalpost/rps/2284879949551103234

I would say there's more chance of TOR (down to 2 US servers), STO, and even TESO going down before ARK, at least according to the STEAM list.

And lets say WC just gets tired of the whole thing but the code is already out there, the mods are there, the rented server business are there, and the PLAYERBASE is there.  Why would anyone believe the game will "end" even if WC takes down EVERY "official server"?

I guess "doom and gloom" hits even the most populated games having some of the best success of the entire industry.

8 hours ago, PuffyPony said:

I think ARK 2 was just speculation by the community, I've not seen any official word on it personally

Its a bit more than just simple speculation. While not a true official announcement, the conversations here on the forums got started after one of the Devs made mention about it in an interview. It makes sense that if you have a successful game, you need to have future plans to keep your company going. Since the Dev said Ark2, we can at least speculate that WC is looking to stay in the same genre. Beyond that. I doubt even WC leadership has a solid idea of what it will be. It likely is just a bunch of ideas scribbled down on a few pieces of paper. The important point to consider here is that WC is looking at the future, and that is a good thing. Ark was a learning experience for them , and hopefully their next release will go much smoother and have less issues.

The present base Ark game has issues. It seems that some bugs cannot be corrected, as with the dinos becoming trapped in low ceilings. I would really like to see some of those fixed but I don't see it happening. The underlying game engine is also limited in what it can do. Think I would prefer them to move on to something more modern. At the moment I'm just doing maintenance feeding on a pair of legacy servers, I'm the only member of the tribes still playing at all. The others left because they could no longer stand the bugs.

12 hours ago, anubis3691 said:

Q&A with dev? Yeah I'm sure it was a question brought up. but if they haven't released more info yet officially, I doubt it will happen. But time will tell.

1 hour ago, Serious said:

The present base Ark game has issues. It seems that some bugs cannot be corrected, as with the dinos becoming trapped in low ceilings. I would really like to see some of those fixed but I don't see it happening. The underlying game engine is also limited in what it can do. Think I would prefer them to move on to something more modern. At the moment I'm just doing maintenance feeding on a pair of legacy servers, I'm the only member of the tribes still playing at all. The others left because they could no longer stand the bugs.

what would be a better engine to use then? I am curious and you may not know the answer, but I keep hearing people say "limitation of engine" or "cannot be fixed due to engine" or "so-n-so engine sucks cuz of reasons". I am not a programmer so I have no idea what these well thought out or half baked comments even mean for the average player.

10 minutes ago, Sharpshot879 said:

Rather than add more dlcs I am leaning towards expanding the other arks like the island which feels rather boring after a while of playing.

Yeah that would be great. While I still love the island it could do with a bit of TLC to bring it up to date. The Center desperatly needs some love, for such a beautiful map it has no pull to play it apart from doing the  center boss fight. Scorched needs finished too, needs the addition of asention to make it join up with The island and Aberation.

So many things could be improved upon.

Hello,

I am surprised that non have written about the before and after retail release of ARK Survival Evolved. Clearly these are two different games both look the same but so much changed that I can only say two games.

Having only played Official and using single player to "figure things out" two forces are at work. Over crowded servers problem is one force and continued popularity of ARK Survival Evolved is the other. These two forces result in reality, get the "toxic" players out and continue to keep the game popular. Can WC do that or is the "problem" not possible to solve. I mean can they say get-out and get-in.

Before retail release ARK was funny. I had many laughs maybe because I played PvP. Now after release I play PvE and it is too hard in my opinion. People that play are super serious until one day all their Wyvern are gone and they end with uninstalling the game.

ARK II, if there is such thoughts need to be a mix of PvE and PvP. Hard to describe what I mean, but the idea is that a server cluster have one map PvE and the rest PvP maps. This was a mistake on a server cluster after retail release that after some time was corrected but until it was corrected the Island map was hugely popular since that was PvE and the Center plus Ragnarok was PvP (now all PvP).

Keeping the Official servers cheat free also resulted in lag and problems that I am not really sure about. When a game lag to much is a sign that a game is coming to the last station.

Hopeful for 2018.

Regards,

Ariana

Archived