Help! How does PC Player join Dedicated Xbox One Server

Hi everyone! Thank you in advance for your advice!

I host an Ark Server on my Xbox One. I know it may sound crazy, but I have PC friends who want to join our Dedicated Xbox ARK. I have searched for days looking for details on how this works, but I can only find information on Xbox players joining PC servers, not the other way around. I'm hoping this thread will help other players searching for help with this situation, too.

I know that the PC Player would need to buy his ARK via the Xbox/Windows 10 Store, but what else is required and what are the next steps? Does the PC player join via the gamer Profile like other Xbox players? Is the PC interface designed differently to include joining a dedicated Xbox Server? 

Thank you for your help!

Troy aka Vegan Gaymer

13 hours ago, VeganGaymer said:

Hi everyone! Thank you in advance for your advice!

I host an Ark Server on my Xbox One. I know it may sound crazy, but I have PC friends who want to join our Dedicated Xbox ARK. I have searched for days looking for details on how this works, but I can only find information on Xbox players joining PC servers, not the other way around. I'm hoping this thread will help other players searching for help with this situation, too.

I know that the PC Player would need to buy his ARK via the Xbox/Windows 10 Store, but what else is required and what are the next steps? Does the PC player join via the gamer Profile like other Xbox players? Is the PC interface designed differently to include joining a dedicated Xbox Server? 

Thank you for your help!

Troy aka Vegan Gaymer

Crossplay needs to be selected and they need to have the server GT added as a friend. Then use the GT to just join the server as you would any other friend on Xbox Live.

7 hours ago, CyberAngel67 said:

Crossplay needs to be selected and they need to have the server GT added as a friend. Then use the GT to just join the server as you would any other friend on Xbox Live.

Thank you for your help! That's exactly what I thought, and I was able to invite him via Xbox through his gamertag, and that worked perfectly, but he could not find a way to join on his own via PC without being invited. How does it work on PC for joining a game via gamertag?

2 hours ago, VeganGaymer said:

Thank you for your help! That's exactly what I thought, and I was able to invite him via Xbox through his gamertag, and that worked perfectly, but he could not find a way to join on his own via PC without being invited. How does it work on PC for joining a game via gamertag?

Exactly the same way, You open the Xbox App, click the GT and join that GT's game.

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, Lucis said:

i am having the same problem as you, i read the threat but i have no idea which app you guys talking about. if you guys let me know i would appreciate it !

It is called the Xbox App, it is installed by default for all Windows 10 installations and is on your start menu. If you can't find it then, you either are not running Windows 10 or you have unpinned it somehow. 

4 hours ago, Lucis said:

oh thanks @CyberAngel67 yes i found it!. do you know if you buy ark from steam do you still have to pay to play online like on xbox and windows 10 version?

Ark on Windows 10 and Xbox are an Xbox game under the play anywhere label, steam is totally different and CAN NOT connect to the Xbox Live version or vice versa.

3 hours ago, Lucis said:

I get that, but in order to play in the xbox and window 10 version you need the gold membership. do you also need a membership to play online with your friends on steam?

Steam has no paid membership, in fact Windows 10 doesn't either. Only the console requires you to subscribe to their Networking service.

• 8 months later...

One question if cross is now default enable ways my server not showing up on my Xbox 1 I'm logged in on windows 10 with my second account on the Xbox app I can invite players aka my friend but I wanted to also host to have other people play as well but I can never find my server even searching it's name up have see other people server that are up but never mine I also have all ports forwarding open

10 hours ago, snipers331 said:

One question if cross is now default enable ways my server not showing up on my Xbox 1 I'm logged in on windows 10 with my second account on the Xbox app I can invite players aka my friend but I wanted to also host to have other people play as well but I can never find my server even searching it's name up have see other people server that are up but never mine I also have all ports forwarding open

Only nitrado hosted server show up immediately. Xbox or PC hosted ones have to wait in line which can take days if not weeks of running 24/7 to appear on server list. Any server restart resets your place in line to appear on the list. This is by design from the devs. They refuse to equalize the playing field because nitrado would lose business.

• 4 months later...
On 10/12/2019 at 8:54 AM, JoeSand314 said:

Me and my friend r trying to make an ark server. I am on Windows ten and he is Xbox. I don’t have an option to enable cross play when making a server. When ever he tries to join it says our builds don’t match. It also says that for me when I try to join him. Please help.

Are you using the Windows 10 Store version or Steam version?

If you are using the Windows 10 Store version, make sure it is fully up to date.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/11/2019 at 5:54 PM, JoeSand314 said:

Me and my friend r trying to make an ark server. I am on Windows ten and he is Xbox. I don’t have an option to enable cross play when making a server. When ever he tries to join it says our builds don’t match. It also says that for me when I try to join him. Please help.

Cross-play is always on. The version mis-match is because you don't have the latest version of ARK installed. Simply update Ark.  

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
On 5/15/2019 at 4:12 PM, Juggernaut said:

Only nitrado hosted server show up immediately. Xbox or PC hosted ones have to wait in line which can take days if not weeks of running 24/7 to appear on server list. Any server restart resets your place in line to appear on the list. This is by design from the devs. They refuse to equalize the playing field because nitrado would lose business.

Not true order a game server from goodgamehosting.com and it was setup and showing instantly.

Archived