Solo rock drake advice

s710

I just had my first try stealing a rock drake egg solo, but I was not even able to reach the place of the eggs. I was wing-gliding down the place with the two purple waterfalls, into the rock drake area. When starting to make my way on foot, I crossed 2 level 77 rock drakes. I was able to kill the first one with my pump-action, but the second one just ate me, event though I pulled it from some distance away.

So what is the recommended way of doing this? I used a ravager before, but its getting so much radiation damage, that after some minutes already it loses 2k health (from its 6k health pool). Also its damage is not that good (like 93 damage), so it won't stand a chance vs rock drakes.

I also managed to bring down my karkinos (16k health, 470 damage), to actually pick up my body, but 1) it takes ages to get down/up with this thing and 2) I think its not exactly the best choice if you intend to get out of something quickly.

My first impression of this is that solo, on foot, its really really difficult because of the lack of damage (until I find some higher tier weapon). I do have the tek rifle engram (brought my character from the island), but I have no element to craft it.

On dino, I don't know which one I should pick (besides a rock drake, which, obviously, I don't have).

The building limit doesn't seem to be any help in making beds down there, so it will alway be a looong way up and down.

How do you guys do it?

I havent done it solo, but I did it with a tribe mate using three spinos, so its not a great leap to doing it solo. Just walk down with the spinos to where you can access the eggs. I really dont fancy doing it on foot solo though mainly because you have to have a few spinos follow you all the way down and back up, would be really difficult though. Guess megalosaurus would be similiar and maybe even better to have on follow. Just an idea.

Player only method - glide down.. Use lots of picks.. And multiple haz gear...mindwipe.. Pump pts into player movement speed and stam.. Grab an egg and run. After a while the original egging group that aggrod will leave you alone and there will only be 3 or so chasing you. If you had a bed placed down on the walking path kite the remaining drakes to where youre near the bed.. Or within running distance. Let the drakes kill you. Respawn near your body at the bed without aggro.

Dino method - i used a couple things.. Ive tried ravagers and the radiation damage sucks.. Ive tried karks and thats probably the best option.. Riderweaponry jumping.. HuGE hp pool for killing all the drakes that aggro on you. Instead of running....ive tried drakes and thats the easiest, once you have a drake. Ive tried my reaper and while its great against drakes.. Always have a lightpet with you incase you come up against queens down there.. Reaper vs reaper doesnt work so well without light.

Ive never tried spinos.....?

I just tamed a 130 spino, leveled it to about 10k xp getting 10k hp and 400% damage, then ran it down, got an egg on the highest ledge, then fought the initial swarm that aggroed and left.

Just make sure you kill a decent number of drakes before getting the egg, and back your spino up to the wall you get your eggs from so it has a a way to block rock drakes getting behind it.  There are 3 or 4 nests above the trench you wan to go for.

2 hours ago, FenTheReaper said:

I just tamed a 130 spino, leveled it to about 10k xp getting 10k hp and 400% damage, then ran it down, got an egg on the highest ledge, then fought the initial swarm that aggroed and left.

Just make sure you kill a decent number of drakes before getting the egg, and back your spino up to the wall you get your eggs from so it has a a way to block rock drakes getting behind it.  There are 3 or 4 nests above the trench you wan to go for.

My spino has similar stats, just 11k health. You been down in the trench with the spino and got it back up? When I checked out the trench in singleplayer I couldn't find a way back up.

3 hours ago, s710 said:

I just had my first try stealing a rock drake egg solo, but I was not even able to reach the place of the eggs. I was wing-gliding down the place with the two purple waterfalls, into the rock drake area. When starting to make my way on foot, I crossed 2 level 77 rock drakes. I was able to kill the first one with my pump-action, but the second one just ate me, event though I pulled it from some distance away.

So what is the recommended way of doing this? I used a ravager before, but its getting so much radiation damage, that after some minutes already it loses 2k health (from its 6k health pool). Also its damage is not that good (like 93 damage), so it won't stand a chance vs rock drakes.

I also managed to bring down my karkinos (16k health, 470 damage), to actually pick up my body, but 1) it takes ages to get down/up with this thing and 2) I think its not exactly the best choice if you intend to get out of something quickly.

My first impression of this is that solo, on foot, its really really difficult because of the lack of damage (until I find some higher tier weapon). I do have the tek rifle engram (brought my character from the island), but I have no element to craft it.

On dino, I don't know which one I should pick (besides a rock drake, which, obviously, I don't have).

The building limit doesn't seem to be any help in making beds down there, so it will alway be a looong way up and down.

How do you guys do it?

Megalaceros FTW... Fast, Tough, No Radiation Damage... In and out in no time.

i usually take my spino down the footpath and take a left at the bottom, walking along the top of the left side of the first trench NOT behind the waterfall until i reach the end of that path, there is usually an egg or two on a shelf above you.  grab an egg jump down onto your spino and eat your way out. spino's knock back and ride angle of attack can fend off multiple rock drakes.  hand cramps are my worst enemy.  you can also stand the spino near the first trench at the top and grapple to her head to get back up.

49 minutes ago, Kaprosuchus said:

reindeers don't run fast enough to outrun drakes, and you'd need a ton of mushroom brew seems risky, plus i am sure they aren't on the map for official

Lol... Oooopps... Although, that gives me an idea!

44 minutes ago, AnAncientOrder said:

I believe he meant Megalosaurus, but I could be mistaken. 

Yes I did... Perhaps more coffee is needed today. 

42 minutes ago, Kaprosuchus said:

I know i was just being an ass and it was wrong of me :P

I got a laugh from it. :D

Below linked is the route to take when using a spino / megalo but I will warn you, you need some luck. I have done this run 10+ times and sometimes I agro 4-5 drakes after a steal and other times like this morning, it is wave after wave and I lost my spino after looting a 180 egg of course.

I don't see how you can solo the cave at the foot of waterfall on foot but I also tried with a drake down there and got destroyed. The drakes are faster than you and do not stop chasing , as soon as you start climbing with picks they will catch you in seconds. Perhaps with a ridiculous amount of luck you have a chance but you rely less on lady luck by using a spino / megalo and following the path down as shown in the video.

33 minutes ago, Kaprosuchus said:

Holy crap sense of humor at one's own expense i thought that had been bred out of the gene pool kudos to you mate

Well if I can't laugh at myself I'll be left out of the fun at all the parties. ;) 

Can't be the guy that takes everything too seriously, that leads to heart attacks, strokes, and being a miserable drunk... I prefer happy drunk. Lol.

On 1/5/2018 at 6:13 PM, Cobretti said:

Below linked is the route to take when using a spino / megalo but I will warn you, you need some luck. I have done this run 10+ times and sometimes I agro 4-5 drakes after a steal and other times like this morning, it is wave after wave and I lost my spino after looting a 180 egg of course.

I don't see how you can solo the cave at the foot of waterfall on foot but I also tried with a drake down there and got destroyed. The drakes are faster than you and do not stop chasing , as soon as you start climbing with picks they will catch you in seconds. Perhaps with a ridiculous amount of luck you have a chance but you rely less on lady luck by using a spino / megalo and following the path down as shown in the video.

My tribemate and I were having a terrible time trying to drop our dinos down that waterfall into the purple area. This videos shows us where to drop from, but now how the hell he actually did it. I've literally been taming Ravagers just as test dummies cuz we've already killed a Spino, Megalo and two Ravagers trying it the first couple times and ending up landing in the irradiated water. Any tips? Drop from the left side, right side, etc.?

For rolling solo, I'd recommend  cruising down with a SOLID spino. When you get to the egg areas, kill all the drakes you can on the spino, and once it's clear shoot at the drakes you can see climbing on the walls and up above. Do one of these sweeps before you go up to grab eggs, and you'll have less to worry about when you do grab the egg.

Once you've grabbed the egg, mob back to your spino as soon as possible. A trick I use is keeping my spino up above in the smaller drake egg ravine. I grapple the spino, lower myself to one of the upper nests (which seem to regularly have eggs), and fish myself back up after I grab it. Usually works. 

Again though, I can stress enough bringing a scoped gun with you to pick at the random drakes walking around nearby. You can still get turbo-rekt by big mobs, but it decreases the likelihood. 

Archived