Problems With Mutations

Therizinosaur

I've reached the mutation limit on my male Therizino named Greg, (52/20 Matrilineal - 30/20 Patrilineal) so I went and tamed a wild female so I can continue getting mutations.

I mated the recently tamed wild female who obviously has no mutations, with Greg who has the 52/20 Mat and 30/20 Pat mutations. The baby comes out a female with 0/20 Mat and 82/20 Pat. Now I needed a male with 0/20 Mat, so I bred Greg with the wild female until I got my male with the desired stats.

I mated the 0/20 Mat female with the 0/20 Mat Male, but the baby from those two comes out 82/20 Mat and 82/20 Pat.

I don't understand what is going wrong, and would appreciate any suggestions or advice.

11 minutes ago, invincibleqc said:

This is normal. When you have a male with 52 matrilineal and 30 patrilineal markers, its babies will have 82 patrilineal markers because the dad had a total of 52 + 30 = 82/40. The side the markers are doesn't matters, they are stacking.

That makes sense now that I see that, so what exactly am I supposed to do at this stage of breeding? keep taming wild theri's and hope that the baby mutates?

• Volunteer Moderator
3 minutes ago, Therizinosaur said:

That makes sense now that I see that, so what exactly am I supposed to do at this stage of breeding? keep taming wild theri's and hope that the baby mutates?

Tame as many of clean females (0/40 markers) as possible and mate your male with them and every 590 eggs you should mutate the stat you are looking for.

2 minutes ago, invincibleqc said:

Tame as many of clean females (0/40 markers) as possible and mate your male with them and every 590 eggs you should mutate the stat you are looking for.

So at this point, inbreeding won't get me anywhere, and taming is the only way to continue to get mutations? Blegh. Thanks though, appreciate the help.

22 minutes ago, DarthaNyan said:

You cannot reset mutation score. But you can continue to mutate if you get a 82 marker male with lots of unmutated (0 mutation markers) females and hope for mutation on the stat you want and it gets inherited.

So I am assuming that the female I recently hatched with 0/20 82/20 will not work as a breeder anymore if I am looking to mutate further?

• Volunteer Moderator
1 minute ago, Therizinosaur said:

So I am assuming that the female I recently hatched with 0/20 82/20 will not work as a breeder anymore if I am looking to mutate further?

No, it won't. If you have a male with 82/40 markers, you need to mate it with females that have less than 20/40 markers because there is a 50/50 chance a new mutation roll on the dad or the mom and if the selected parent has > 20/40 markers the roll is nulled. In conclusion, you have to breed your dirty male with clean females.

1 minute ago, Therizinosaur said:

It will work for mutations but only if mated with at most 19/40 male. A good planned breeding for mutations should have an unmutated male and a large stock of females to make the process easier/faster.

29 minutes ago, AngryChris73 said:

My cousin bred spinos that got a total of maybe 6-8ish mutations but because of this system he couldnt get more, u should be able to get a total of 40

I can't agree with that I'm afraid.  The power gap between bred and unbred tames is larger than it really needs to be already.  Diminishing returns is a thing in most games for a reason.

6 hours ago, invincibleqc said:

Fix what? It is clearly working as intended. ?

Fix stat mutation that doesn't get inherited but still increases mutation count - If nothing has changed did the mutation really happen? (And i do think that color change is just an indication of mutation, a byproduct of sorts.)

This should also fix prevent infinite mutation stacking and the process of getting 40 mutations on one stat will become a bit more complicated: you get 20 from pat side with a stock of clean females, then you'll have to create a stock of mutated females and mate with a clean male. Scratch that, stats will be limited to 20 mutations by that single change.

Then "ultimate" dino will be defined as "20 mutations on each relevant stat".

Oh, that and one parent shouldn't mutate other parent's stats.

4 hours ago, invincibleqc said:

You already can exceed 40 mutations anyways. Like I explained into the link I gave above, you can get up to 255 pts into a single stat; there is no limit for mutations as long as you breed a mutated male with clean females. :)

Should still be noted that the mutation system is still broken, and presents an extremely counter-intuitive user experience. It's still on the laundry list six lightyears long of things that should probably be fixed. 

10 hours ago, Therizinosaur said:

So at this point, inbreeding won't get me anywhere, and taming is the only way to continue to get mutations? Blegh. Thanks though, appreciate the help.

You only need to tame 1 clean male and 1 clean female. Then you can breed those 2 together to get more clean 0-mutation-counter females to breed with your mutated male :)

10 hours ago, Ranger1 said:

I can't agree with that I'm afraid.  The power gap between bred and unbred tames is larger than it really needs to be already.  Diminishing returns is a thing in most games for a reason.

9 hours ago, invincibleqc said:

You already can exceed 40 mutations anyways. Like I explained into the link I gave above, you can get up to 255 pts into a single stat; there is no limit for mutations as long as you breed a mutated male with clean females. :)

This :) I would say the mutation mechanic needs fixing:

• I'd prefer if you could only have 10 mutations on either side, but only the transferred mutations are counted in the offspring - that way the de facto maximum would be 20 mutations (or hey! make it less if that's better!) and it would be a lot more intuitive.
  • Personally, although I believe I'm pretty alone in thinking that :P , I would prefer a decoupling of the stat and colour mutations as I find the colour mutations to be horrendously ugly most of the time (such unnatural, wierd colours).
  • I'm also not a fan of mutations happening in a stat that is not picked for the offspring - rather reduce the chance of a mutation, but if it happens, it should be in a stat that's used.

If I understand correctly, with the current system, there is a possibility for endless mutations as long as you keep breeding with one "clean" parent? That seems a bit too OP even if it does take a very long time: with the longevity of the servers people will eventually get there and with egg trading they will spread fast.

3 hours ago, Campi said:

You only need to tame 1 clean male and 1 clean female. Then you can breed those 2 together to get more clean 0-mutation-counter females to breed with your mutated male :)

If this is correct, please confirm my theory below?

Ive a male 310 Ptera with 18/20 mutations on both mat and pat sides. I have a female 304 Ptera with 16/20 on both mat and pat sides.

I have tamed a clean female and male set of Pteras to clean the mut stat counter.

If I breed m 310 with clean female, and the f 304 with the clean male - get the luck and the stats follow over to both babies - these babies should be effectively clean?

If I am again lucky and get a male and female baby and breed these - I should with any luck get a 0/0 mut stat counter - is this correct?

Thanks

Anarki

Archived