So, Tamed Reaper got Nerf with light and isn't immune to Radiation. K

gerrynaples

Reapers are listed as "jack of all trades" on the wiki.
If that's true then it makes sense they are weaker then dedicated combat dinos.

You know the expression : "Jack of all trades, master of none"

It's the same with the Rock Drake.
They are a high-end dino in Aberration, but not the top of the food chain either.
Yet highly covetted for their stealth and gliding.

However:

• They are outclassed by ravagers in carry capacity
  • They are outclassed by our spino's in damage

2 minutes ago, Olivar said:

They are a high-end dino in Aberration, but not the top of the food chain either.

However:

And the game lore and gameplay puts them at the top of the food chain as apex predators. Yet they are weaker then almost any combat dino (Including the Rock Drake, Basilisk and Spino, all of which have more useful utility then the Reaper). 

3 minutes ago, Olivar said:

However:

Rock Drakes' only real downside is the DPS. They're good in pretty much every other conceivable way--not necessarily the best, but they have a huge amount of utility. Reapers do not have this. They're basically secondary to most classic combat mounts, and Megalos, Basilisks, Karkinos, Spinos, and Rock Drakes can all melt them, and I wouldn't even consider the Rock Drake a combat-focused tame. Given the difficulty of the tame and raising the infant and whatnot, I'd expect it to be at least as useful as the Rock Drake or as powerful as the Basilisk... but it's really neither.

Also the tame uses on the Wiki is purely fan generated, so I'd take it with a grain of salt. The Wiki also lists Rock Elementals as good for hunting Deathworms, which is absolutely untrue

13 minutes ago, iAmE said:

And the game lore and gameplay puts them at the top of the food chain as apex predators. Yet they are weaker then almost any combat dino (Including the Rock Drake, Basilisk and Spino, all of which have more useful utility then the Reaper). 

Technically speaking it says "Reapers are the apex predator".
Since we have both kings and queens, it might very well only apply to the queen.
Nit-picking and details I know, but it doesn't dismiss the theory i have.

It's however as @PuffyPony says, the wiki is fan generated, so I am taking it with a grain of salt.
But you are right, for all the trouble the nameless and reapers cause, having one eventually isn't exactly worth the hassle...

3 minutes ago, Olivar said:

Technically speaking it says "Reapers are the apex predator".
Since we have both kings and queens, it might very well only apply to the queen.
Nit-picking and details I know, but it doesn't dismiss the theory i have.

It's however as @PuffyPony says, the wiki is fan generated, so I am taking it with a grain of salt.
But you are right, for all the trouble the nameless and reapers cause, having one eventually isn't exactly worth the hassle...

Another point to make is that they made Reaper Kings the only variant to have an "Alpha" which is far stronger then any Queen. They also received (Wild only) a buff of 300% to their damage because, as wild creatures, they were not threatening enough to dissuade people on the surface/farming nameless. 

It's pure opinion as to whether or not the Queen is, but regardless, the power differential between a wild and tamed Reaper is huge. It has a breeding time equivalent to that of a Mega or a Rex, yet probably loses a fight to a tamed Ravager ridden by someone with a little bit of Melee and a Sword.

The state of Reaper Kings (Tamed) is simply not excusable in any real way. When they state them as the "Apex" predator, and you give the Wild Reapers (Only Wild) a 300% damage boost literally like 48 hours into the expansion hitting live, you would think they'd know that a tamed reaper would be in the same ways. 

Yeah was going to say if they're not immune to radiation that has to be a bug...

I'd be fine with the reaper king if it just had a saddle (to make it more tanky), or if it could do a lot more dps.    Make it a tank or a glass cannon, either is good.    As it is now though as others have said it's -easily- surpassed by Spinos, and not even mentioning how Spinos will eventually trump everything with breeding.

Yeah,  once born, they're completely immune to radiation.  Without a charge light source, they're far tankier than a rex or megalo without a high armor saddle.  Their growth time is pretty long.  I said in a different thread that I think the stat growth is the biggest problem.  If the HP reduction was 1000 less than it currently is (starting health of 7500 instead of 6500), and they gained the same 7% affinity bonus that the other large carnivores get followed by a subtle boost to actual stat growth per level, they would be really balanced, but really strong.  It'd make the effort worth the result without making them drastically overpowered.

Radiation is a new hazard introduced on Aberration that deals continuous damage to vulnerable targets that rapidly stacks-up, and cannot yet be cleansed. They are mainly found within Element Regions. The following Aberrant creatures are immune to radiation damage

Most of the life indigenous to the Aberration ARK is also immune. However, the following creatures are noteworthy for not being immune:

1. Reaper.png Reaper Embryo

Yes...the reaper -embryo- is not immune, that has little bearing on the reaper's state of being when it's born and raised though, it's just a hurdle to caring for the infant.    The final stats and condition of a full grown reaper are all that matters, and fortunately it is immune to radiation fully grown (it's already got plenty of minuses as it is)

I think the embryo is vulnerable to radiation for two reasons?  One is to give you a simple way to get rid of it if you get stabbed and don't want it.  Just take your suit off, bathe in the Glow, and voilla, your chestburster problem is all cleared up.  The other is just to make it more difficult to tame one.  Since you have to find a Reaper Queen, keep her from getting bored and running away or accidentally killing her too soon, and then get tail-hugged before your armor breaks.  And then get back to somewhere safe, *also* without letting your armor break.

If they really are only "average" though, it seems like a lot of extra hassle for not a lot of benefit.  Especially since it seems like sharing a pen with a bulbdog is actually bad for them.  It would seem like they should be a lot stronger, considering what you have to go through to get one.

2 hours ago, banggugyangu said:

Yeah,  once born, they're completely immune to radiation.  Without a charge light source, they're far tankier than a rex or megalo without a high armor saddle.  Their growth time is pretty long.  I said in a different thread that I think the stat growth is the biggest problem.  If the HP reduction was 1000 less than it currently is (starting health of 7500 instead of 6500), and they gained the same 7% affinity bonus that the other large carnivores get followed by a subtle boost to actual stat growth per level, they would be really balanced, but really strong.  It'd make the effort worth the result without making them drastically overpowered.

Honestly, all the reaper needs to not be completely awful is to have their stat scaling not be the same as Gigas.  As it stands, they have base stats comparable to a Mega, but scaling equivalent to that of a Giga, yet the Giga has a saddle, comparable HP and literally over 5x the base damage. 

That's essentially where I was going.  The stat growth is the key problem, but also the 7% affinity bonus that all large carnivores have on melee damage.  I think the reaper should absolutely be above the megalo in terms of predator placement, but it doesn't have to be drastically above.  The reaper should be a situation of "Is there charge light?  Keep your reaper away.  Is there no charge light?  Your reaper is going to wreck things."

Just now, banggugyangu said:

That's essentially where I was going.  The stat growth is the key problem, but also the 7% affinity bonus that all large carnivores have on melee damage.  I think the reaper should absolutely be above the megalo in terms of predator placement, but it doesn't have to be drastically above.  The reaper should be a situation of "Is there charge light?  Keep your reaper away.  Is there no charge light?  Your reaper is going to wreck things."

Oh I'm with you there.

Wild Reapers receive a 90% damage reduction and something to the tune of 45-50% damage increase when not in the light. A tamed Reaper receives a 15% damage reduction and no damage increase while not in the light. In addition Wild Reaper Kings had their HP boosted by 300% in a recent patch due to the fact that they simply weren't threatening enough. 

Reapers are just decorations.....they suck and cant hardly get a decent imprint due to un attainable kibble on official. 

As much trouble as they are to get especially a good level one that rarely ever spawn they should be equuvelant to a wild queen. Instead they are probably on par with a livht dmged king. Basically worthless. And you cant even trade them so market value is useless too. In fact we could not even let the parent in tribe unclaim and another tribemate claim. Basically it is parent only bound (baby cant be claimed by others eiher). 

Archived