Red gem farming roll rat

Downtime89

Hey so i got tired of having to go searching for red gems i need enough to just get me by for now, so i had a idea to cage a wild rat. So i built a pen and got one to chase me in and i closed him up anyone done this before with good results im waiting to see how often he burrows while caged. It beats having to go searching for a wild one and waiting for it to burrow.

2 minutes ago, Downtime89 said:

Hey so i got tired of having to go searching for red gems i need enough to just get me by for now, so i had a idea to cage a wild rat. So i built a pen and got one to chase me in and i closed him up anyone done this before with good results im waiting to see how often he burrows while caged. It beats having to go searching for a wild one and waiting for it to burrow.

As far as I know he just has to un aggro in order to drop gems. But I'm pretty sure they can break wood. Maybe a stone pit with a ramp leading in and a door frame on other side so you can get out. Walk in grab gems and walk out door quickly. Then go out of render so they de aggro. Maybe you could get a few roll rats trapped in there for more profit. Grab all gems quickly then die to them and respawn and do it again 

I have palliside wall mod on my lan server he does some dammage to them but not enough to worry about short term i can make repairs fast enough. As far as exit goes i have a old style z opening in back of pen narrow enough for me to get in but not the rat plus it makes a bend so nothing long body can get in.

3 minutes ago, Downtime89 said:

Built my base on edge of cliff here...anyone know were red gems are in relation to this area...i thought it was those big red ones worked my butt off to get to them building zip lines in just to find out those are deco lol. that pic was bigger before i uploaded

20180101150311_1.jpg

Hard to tell exactly where you are but you need to go to the radiation pink zone there are tons. I'm pretty sure you are close but the problem is getting down there but I think if you are just hand mining without a crab just take a ravager and set zip lines up 

Just today I was farming red gems from roll rats for rock drake saddles. Got 3 pens that I trap 1 roll rat in each (each pen is just out of loading distance to the next one)When you go into loading distance of a rat it unburrows and gems will just be next to it. If you want to wait for it to re-dig you can but I just go to the next pen and look at the gems that just load up. If there are red gems I pick up the rat with the crab and get the gems. The rat will aggro but who cares w/e, just drop it back in and go to the next pen. It will usually de aggro after 1 trip to the other 2 pens but sometimes take 2 or 3 passes. I get about 200-300 red gems an hour. This is something you can do just by having rats in traps and remembering to look at them every once in a while without spending all your time on it. I tried dying to make it de aggro faster and it just kept biting the pen for way longer than just moving away and coming back after checking other rats. 

14 hours ago, Downtime89 said:

Built my base on edge of cliff here...anyone know were red gems are in relation to this area...i thought it was those big red ones worked my butt off to get to them building zip lines in just to find out those are deco lol. that pic was bigger before i uploaded

20180101150311_1.jpg

You see the lake area to the right side of your screen, the blue one pooling before dropping into the Rad Zone? If you go down there, with a dino, zip or glider, and hang a right, following the river, you'll hit a ramp that goes down into the rad area. The Lost Roads by name. If you follow the main "Path" there, you'll find some Red Gems within about 45 seconds of entering the rad biome proper. None of the "Big" Rad Zone mechanics apply there (IE Reaper or Drake Hordes).  However if you go too deep (If you enter The Halls of the Reaper Queen, you've gone to far) you'll begin to encounter Queens. It's pretty safe, if you explore slowly. You'll find two charge nodes, and a bunch of cliffs, along with a road that goes up an incline with a large white crystal glowing on the ceiling. Don't follow that road. That Crystal marks, roughly, where Queens start to spawn (Although Queens are not as hard as you'd think. A light pet and a mutton tamed high level Mega is sufficient to kill any level of queens that spawn). 

13 hours ago, Brayn said:

Doesn't throwing 1 honey cause them to de-agro?

I haven't tried. But I figured out that after a while the roll rats stop digging and just runs away for a long long time after kicking up a bunch of gems and I think it's because it uses its food Stat to dig and then that's why you can feed it with honey but if you don't feed it, it just eats berries from nearby bushes, and when the plants run out from keeping it confined, it just starts running until more plants respawn. So maybe feeding it honey will keep it digging AND get aggro off of you. so honey = gems if it works. Also using other people's traps to keep rats in makes it so it won't aggro to the structure because it's not yours and decreases the time it stays aggro.

On 1/3/2018 at 7:42 AM, iAmE said:

You see the lake area to the right side of your screen, the blue one pooling before dropping into the Rad Zone? If you go down there, with a dino, zip or glider, and hang a right, following the river, you'll hit a ramp that goes down into the rad area. The Lost Roads by name. If you follow the main "Path" there, you'll find some Red Gems within about 45 seconds of entering the rad biome proper. None of the "Big" Rad Zone mechanics apply there (IE Reaper or Drake Hordes).  However if you go too deep (If you enter The Halls of the Reaper Queen, you've gone to far) you'll begin to encounter Queens. It's pretty safe, if you explore slowly. You'll find two charge nodes, and a bunch of cliffs, along with a road that goes up an incline with a large white crystal glowing on the ceiling. Don't follow that road. That Crystal marks, roughly, where Queens start to spawn (Although Queens are not as hard as you'd think. A light pet and a mutton tamed high level Mega is sufficient to kill any level of queens that spawn). 

Thanks ill check that out after this weekend when i get back to my pc :)

Archived