Rock Drake Controls

AngrySaltire

Finally got our first batch of rock drakes and while I have played with spawned in one before, actually having to utilise them and rely on them in high stake situations has made me more aware that maybe the controls could be improved. Dont get me wrong when it works it works like a dream but when it doesnt it gets a bit annoying.

Speaking from an xbox point of view the rock drake does seem to be hit or miss on the control of the glide and even on the climbing as well. No idea on if its like this on PC but I assume its similiar for the PS4. Half the time instead of gliding it just falls, tried double tapping 'A' which seems to work some times but not other times. It does seem to vary if you start from standing, from a cliff or from a running jump. Would be good to have the controls unified so that I know if its going to fall or glide.

When I am in the trench with a lvl 15 hatched drake (the first batch of 3 eggs where that bad..) I need the drake to actually preform flawlessly to get away and not flounder about on the floor when chased by half the drakes in the trench xD maybe the control are already there but I just think it could do with a few tweeks to work on a console controller.

Rofl! Same issues here on xbox. How many times have you just plummeted for no reason? Also the thing ends up walking upside down, left or right side up...just goes crazy. Flies in random directions...speed glides 2 miles due.to missing it's target...im afraid every time I go get eggs I'm gonna  dive bomb the river. Or trying to climb over a cliff platform from under..how wasn't that awful glitch caught during testing? Too many issues.

On ps4 the issue is that the drake remembers the mode it was in, in air and wall climbing when you dismount and re mount but not the mode it was in on flat ground wich is sprint or walk. 

That means, first time you use the drake it will sprint on ground, fast climb and glide through the air. I'll call that high profile mode  

Then when you dismount it in high profile mode on flat ground, the next time you'll mount it, it will be in low profile/walk mode on flat ground and high profile in air and on walls. 

First thing you're gonna do is hit sprint button, wich means drake sprints but air and climb switch to low profile = not gliding and slow wall climbing. 

Edit: the easy solution would be to always have the drake in lowprofile mode on flat ground when dismounting

Sry for that long long comment. English isnt my first language and it was hard as hell for me to explain! xD

3 minutes ago, BaldBudgie said:

On ps4 the issue is that the drake remembers the mode it was in, in air and wall climbing when you dismount and re mount but not the mode it was in on flat ground wich is sprint or walk. 

That means, first time you use the drake it will sprint on ground, fast climb and glide through the air. I'll call that high profile mode  

Then when you dismount it in high profile mode on flat ground, the next time you'll mount it, it will be in low profile/walk mode on flat ground and high profile in air and on walls. 

First thing you're gonna do is hit sprint button, wich means drake sprints but air and climb switch to low profile = not gliding and slow wall climbing. 

Sry for that long long comment. English isnt my first language and it was hard as hell for me to explain! xD

That's exactly what I noticed. It doesn't completely remember your previous "mode" when you dismount. 

One of the problems is that climb mode doesnt turn off easily. I find myself having to press it multiple times before I get the drake to detach from the wall I accidentally glided into... 

Sometimes (rarely), it does a full 180 during climbing and decides to glide full speed to god know where.

Other times, during climbing a vertical wall, it does a partial backflip and starts walking upside down (even though the wall is vertical) and auto detaches because it isnt touching the wall anymore.

And last but not least, very rarely glide sometimes activates when i am on the ground fighting or whatever and shoot off like a rocket full glide speed upwards to the ceiling of the map or a random direction.

The rock drake has some bugs like:
1.Sometimetimes you need to press the run buttom in mid air to glide, sometimes no.
2.Sometimes when you dismount he starts to walk without reason.
3.When you change the camera to first person the camera goes crazy.
Because of the bug 2 i lost a rock drake, i dismounted him and i left him quickly. When i come back to home he wasnt there. I think he started to walk and went away. :(
(Sorry for my bad english)

17 minutes ago, superuper said:

1.Sometimetimes you need to press the run buttom in mid air to glide, sometimes no.
Because of the bug 2 i lost a rock drake, i dismounted him and i left him quickly. When i come back to home he wasnt there. I think he started to walk and went away. :(

Someone JUST told me that when your drake is missing at your base you can whistle follow all. I did and my drake magically apeared out of nowhere

2 hours ago, superuper said:

Number 1 annoys me the most. When I am jumping from a low level position like a drake nest it would be good to know if it will glide or not. Lost a drake as an indirect result of this last night. It just wouldnt glide or climb and couldnt get away from the drakes, ended up falling into the river when the drake ran out of stamina. Wasnt annoyed by the loss of the drake as it was breed for suicide missions but the loss of the saddle and the 170 egg was annoying.

Havent had a problem with number 2 but 3 is certainly a problem especially when try to use a spyglass hahaha.

The other thing I noticed last night is that when you  cling to wall at an angle the  camera angle is awful and all i can see is the rock drakes bottom area which isnt helpful :D 

2 hours ago, BaldBudgie said:

Someone JUST told me that when your drake is missing at your base you can whistle follow all. I did and my drake magically apeared out of nowhere

This sounds like a Alt + F4 type of comment haha Go into the middle of your base and whistle all :D

27 minutes ago, AngrySaltire said:

Number 1 annoys me the most. When I am jumping from a low level position like a drake nest it would be good to know if it will glide or not. Lost a drake as an indirect result of this last night. It just wouldnt glide or climb and couldnt get away from the drakes, ended up falling into the river when the drake ran out of stamina. Wasnt annoyed by the loss of the drake as it was breed for suicide missions but the loss of the saddle and the 170 egg was annoying.

Havent had a problem with number 2 but 3 is certainly a problem especially when try to use a spyglass hahaha.

The other thing I noticed last night is that when you  cling to wall at an angle the  camera angle is awful and all i can see is the rock drakes bottom area which isnt helpful :D 

This sounds like a Alt + F4 type of comment haha Go into the middle of your base and whistle all :D

Lol! No I swear it worked. I thought the same when he said it, but i was desperate so i tried. AND IT WORKED. Now my drake has its own whistle group i can switch to, to avoid chaos

16 minutes ago, BaldBudgie said:

Lol! No I swear it worked. I thought the same when he said it, but i was desperate so i tried. AND IT WORKED. Now my drake has its own whistle group i can switch to, to avoid chaos

I beleive you, its just sort of a double edged sword in this case lol. The first thing I do when I lose a dino is run or fly around whistling follow all, its pretty much standard practice. Itll undoubtedlywork for the drake if its in the area, just a pity itll find the rest of the tribes dinos too. Normally rule number 1 about base life is dont whistle all at base hahaha I hope he has his eggers on ignore group whistles :D

2 hours ago, AngrySaltire said:

I beleive you, its just sort of a double edged sword in this case lol. The first thing I do when I lose a dino is run or fly around whistling follow all, its pretty much standard practice. Itll undoubtedlywork for the drake if its in the area, just a pity itll find the rest of the tribes dinos too. Normally rule number 1 about base life is dont whistle all at base hahaha I hope he has his eggers on ignore group whistles :D

My drake wasnt just hidden or lost. It was gone. My base is a small horseshoe and the drake was left in the middle and that was where it appeared after i whistled follow all. Its a bug with the rock drake or something. 

I have been noticing more frequently that when i dive using the left click towards the ground on my drakes now and again i will get an endless walk bug even while on it, jumping rectifies it, but it's terrible when you're trying to avoid 2-3 reapers and snag a drop really quick and you have to jump all over trying to rid the drake of the bug.

I think its a desync issue when servers are high pop (like when flyers would rubber band at high speeds), which most will be for a good while. From videos and steams I saw of people on low pop private servers, it appears to function much better.

I just got my first drake and I am wondering if it is even safe to go get more eggs with it instead of doing it the long and hard way.

Today.....I experienced a new all time low in the Rock Drake controls.

I was gliding back home, and to cut on travel time I decided to aim the crosshairs and shoot forward towards the cliff.
But my Drake decided otherwise. He shoots forward alright, but mid-air lowers his altitude too much, crashing face-first into the cliff I was aiming for and dropping down like a potato....

23 minutes ago, Sh4rk said:

I think its a desync issue when servers are high pop (like when flyers would rubber band at high speeds), which most will be for a good while. From videos and steams I saw of people on low pop private servers, it appears to function much better.

I just got my first drake and I am wondering if it is even safe to go get more eggs with it instead of doing it the long and hard way.

Definitely not entirely a desync issue, speaking as someone from a really low population server. Just a clunky mechanic . Desyncs cant help though

I think it depends on the drake. If its a low  level drake then deffinatly not worth the risk.  I am responsibly happy going in solo on my 145 drake but still risky. I am pumping almost everything into health and stamina, and its reasonably safe enough to get into a scrape or two with a couple of high level drakes if needed.

19 minutes ago, Olivar said:

Today.....I experienced a new all time low in the Rock Drake controls.

I was gliding back home, and to cut on travel time I decided to aim the crosshairs and shoot forward towards the cliff.
But my Drake decided otherwise. He shoots forward alright, but mid-air lowers his altitude too much, crashing face-first into the cliff I was aiming for and dropping down like a potato....

'No please no... anything but the elemental river.... great...'

Also the tamed drakes do have their timing down to a t. In nest, check surroundings, check stamina, hop off grab egg get back on drake. Try to jump out of nest wont move.... 'rock drake has defecated'  MOVE PLEASE !.... I swear it happens everytime.

Archived