Ark 2

Jaywall

8 hours ago, LouSpowells said:

You're flat out lying and you know it. You weren't promised a AAA-quality game experience in the first place. I know that you weren't promised that because every single EA purchase required the customer to agree that they were purchasing an early access game with no promises of anything.

You're unhappy with the state of the game. I get that...but you don't need to tell blatant and obvious lies to justify that opinion.

L. O. L. http://www.studiowildcard.com/jobs

Studio Wildcard was founded in 2014 with the mission of bringing AAA quality to ambitious indie productions designed for core gamers.

Perhaps someone should tell their HR department?

But you know, I am thinking back to all of the past marketing they had on Ark, and I actually can't recall seeing AAA quality promised. I do consider the AAA price tag to set the bar to AAA quality, and let's face it, this game STILL has massive quality issues which should have been fixed long ago. TINY indie game devs do much better at core gameplay quality. But yeah, I can't actually claim they "promised" AAA quality for Ark. 

Although you didn't have to foam at the friggin mouth about it. That's why I don't care what you say in the slightest. You could tell me water was wet and I'd ask someone else if that was true, just because of your toxic reactions.

Also, I couldn't give the slightest anything for the fine print on any contract. Any business that lets a lawyer give them permission to break faith with their customers is still responsible for breaking faith with their customers. And Early Access is a trust relationship. We're not gambling our money, we're supporting the ability of the company to exist AT ALL. Those jobs the developers have right now are there because of US and our faith that the company will keep its promises. 

So, y'know, they can live up to the expectations they set in their marketing and price tag (and their industry sets for all products fyi), or pay the price in broken trust. That simple. 

And yes, I'm unhappy with the state of the game. I'd much rather have had them make a game with less dino types but much better underlying mechanics, much better dino gameplay and ffs fix the friggin water/wing reflections already omg. I'd have paid for new dino DLC on Early Access with no problem at all, if the core game was good. But JS promised free dinos for everyone all the time and there went that part of the development budget.

WC made bad choices, and when you do that you get your feet held to the fire until you fix your mistake. Everyone knows that. It's how new companies grow up. 

17 hours ago, Milsurp said:

Although you didn't have to foam at the friggin mouth about it. That's why I don't care what you say in the slightest. You could tell me water was wet and I'd ask someone else if that was true, just because of your toxic reactions.

Foaming indeed..

17 hours ago, Milsurp said:

Also, I couldn't give the slightest anything for the fine print on any contract. Any business that lets a lawyer give them permission to break faith with their customers is still responsible for breaking faith with their customers. And Early Access is a trust relationship. We're not gambling our money, we're supporting the ability of the company to exist AT ALL. Those jobs the developers have right now are there because of US and our faith that the company will keep its promises. 

Whether you give the "slightest anything" for fine print in contracts/disclaimers that you sign/agree to is entirely irrelevant. While it's entertaining to watch you imply that a company "lets a lawyer give them permission to break faith with their customers," it's a surprisingly naive comment to see coming from someone who is currently and aggressively asserting Wildcard isn't upholding their end of an agreement that they never made. 

If you agree to something and later pitch a fit because you decide you don't agree anymore, that's on you and not on the company you made the agreement with. Making a purchase agreement then changing your mind years down the road and taking it back isn't how the real world works and you know it.

If you feel like Ark was oversold and underdelivered I can understand your reasoning and would likely agree on many points...but that's not the point you're making. There's a pretty gaping difference between, "I feel like I was oversold and underdelivered!" and "I was promised a AAA game when I bought this for $30 in early access!" You seemed to need a reminder of that, so I reminded you of that.

• 8 months later...

Rumors going around about Wildcard having "Ark 2" in development. I'm curious to see how they could possibly make a sequal to a dinosaur survival game.

What could they possibly do differently to make it seem like a new game and not just an expansion? Surely they have to keep the basics like Stegos, Rex, Raptors, Brontos, ect.

What's your thoughts?

Maybe they will do something like Destiny did. The second game looked and felt the same for the most part, but the reason they made a new game instead of more expansions is because they ended up using a new engine and upgraded servers.

Maybe that's the plan for "Ark 2"? Upgraded engine and better servers for them to work with. While keeping the game pretty much the same mechanics and gameplay wise. Which in turn would mean less lag and crashes on their official servers? Thoughts?

With the aberration teaser at the end of the extinction cinematic it looks like they are setting up ARK 2. Either the aberration ARK will infect earth with corruption again and we have to survive on different parts of the earth or maybe we will abandon earth and go ARK on some alien world. They could set it up similar to the extinction map where we have several smaller ARKS on a planet with dangerous alien environment in between. in any case.....

sbmeme.jpg

There is alot of possibilities. There is tons of other Arks and survivors out there. They could tell the history  about other ones or just hug the teaser and continue telling the history of rebuilding earth while  fighting aberration's corruption. They also could work in other genres as spin offs. Something more history oriented telling the whole history could be fun too.

11 hours ago, Kawarriorking said:

With the aberration teaser at the end of the extinction cinematic it looks like they are setting up ARK 2. Either the aberration ARK will infect earth with corruption again and we have to survive on different parts of the earth or maybe we will abandon earth and go ARK on some alien world. They could set it up similar to the extinction map where we have several smaller ARKS on a planet with dangerous alien environment in between. in any case.....

Aberration teaser? It's the Aberration Ark that seeded, albeit much more brutally than the other arks, on earth... You can see the outside of the Arks, the 3 anchors looking thing, you can see one that's broken and slanted in the teaser, which means the sandy part you see first is NOT the surface biome but the wasteland.

So Ark 2 will likely focus on the story on earth after the arks return. In the end of extinction, SPOILERS, we see an ark very similar to if not aberration itself crash down into the planet. We also hear what sounds like Rockwell which hints at either him not being dead or another person tampering with element injection. It will still of course be a dinosaur survival game, possibly with much more technology and new species.

As for what would make it better aside from content, I have heard rumors that Ark 2 would be on a homebrew engine that would allow WC to break away from the issues they have faced with developing in Unreal. I don't know how much weight those rumors hold but it would be cool. The WC devs have come a long way in terms of learning how to dev. The Ark mobile release went over 100000x better than the initial pc and console releases. Extinction felt rushed, but all in all there is some neat ideas in there for what I expected to be your typical cash grab expansion. 

Pair new content, a better engine, better graphics, smoother gameplay, and hopefully better server availability...I would buy it. 

I guess think of Ark 2 of more of a revamp than a new game. Just how I hope it turns out.

3 hours ago, HushedDispatch said:

The Ark mobile release went over 100000x better than the initial pc and console releases.

Correct me if I am wrong but WC has nothing to do with the mobile version. Isn't that being developed by Wardrum Studios with permission to use the IP?

Also I don't believe I have another 6k hours to endure another rollercoaster through the development of ARK 2.

19 hours ago, WolfBrink said:

Rumors going around about Wildcard having "Ark 2" in development. I'm curious to see how they could possibly make a sequal to a dinosaur survival game.

What could they possibly do differently to make it seem like a new game and not just an expansion? Surely they have to keep the basics like Stegos, Rex, Raptors, Brontos, ect.

What's your thoughts?

Maybe they will do something like Destiny did. The second game looked and felt the same for the most part, but the reason they made a new game instead of more expansions is because they ended up using a new engine and upgraded servers.

Maybe that's the plan for "Ark 2"? Upgraded engine and better servers for them to work with. While keeping the game pretty much the same mechanics and gameplay wise. Which in turn would mean less lag and crashes on their official servers? Thoughts?

Maybe not all the Arks landed on Earth.  Something happened on some of the installations that caused them to remain in space. Perhaps the 'Reseed Project' can't start till all the Arks landed. The player is a new survivor that must travel amongst these Arks correcting the problem do the Arks can land on Earth and start reseeding.

I'd like to see another Nerva character, one who had traveled amongst the Arks, overthrowing the Overseer and conquering them.

If there were an Ark 2 I'd think it'd be less about the Ark's this time and more about heading out to other planets, moon, etc.  The story might be about finding the origin of the threat that corrupted the Earth with element and that led to the King Titan decimating the city (or I would think he did).  This would lead us to seek out Arrat Prime perhaps, or other locations on Earth or outside of Earth.  The questions I usually have are are there still Homo Deus out there?  Are there other civilizations or outposts that are left over?  Who is the threat, and how do we find them and fight them?

So perhaps, and this is me spinning random ideas, we end up needing to build a ship or find a way to get off Earth and begin to bring the fight to the enemy.  This might open up room to for an Ark 2 that isn't about the Ark's but a continuation of the story.  This continuation is still about survival but would introduce new tek, new monsters, and new environments.  The one environment we haven't actually had to survive in is space so far.  Perhaps managing low gravity, oxygen as a resource, and random radiation/meteor threats could be part of the next Ark.  Perhaps we'd also have space ship battles, managing space ship repairs, storage, and fuel?

In regards to story, perhaps we find clues of where the threats origin resided and head out to investigate with the help of "The One Who Waits."  We enter a portal or device and get thrown thousands of light years to space station or a random abandoned enemy base on a world in a totally different galaxy.  We need to uncover the clues as to who the enemy is, find out how to fight them, and more.  The end boss could be anything relevant to this enemy that was perhaps left to watch over this space station or facility.  Ark 2.0 wouldn't be about the Ark's but about the next evolution in the story and would perhaps need to be called something else.

8 hours ago, Paroxyde said:

I'd rather have more DLCs though :Jerbcry:

I'd prefer to have more DLCs than having a new half-finished game created by the same studio.
Extinction in my book is a fail. Maybe we were overhyped on the thing, but the final product feel rushed and untested.
It is fun at first, but there is hardly any challenge to it compared to Aberration.

Don't get me wrong. WC did an astonnishing job developping the lore of Ark, but the actual programming is a mess since day 1.

Regards.

• 2 months later...
On 11/30/2018 at 4:16 PM, raro007 said:

dont think wildcard want to continue with this broken engine :D

and i hope they will use  Unreal Engine 4...

So... you want them to use Unreal Engine 4, but you DON'T want them to use the one they're already using? When... they're... already using Unreal Engine 4...

ARK runs on Unreal Engine 4

From the article: Epic Games considers the modding of Ark: Survival Evolved to be a milestone as it is the first Unreal Engine 4 game to fully embrace modding.

36 minutes ago, Prometheus1998 said:

So... you want them to use Unreal Engine 4, but you DON'T want them to use the one they're already using? When... they're... already using Unreal Engine 4...

From the article: Epic Games considers the modding of Ark: Survival Evolved to be a milestone as it is the first Unreal Engine 4 game to fully embrace modding.

Yeah, I had a good laugh when I read that too... lol

1 hour ago, Prometheus1998 said:

welp how the raptor can they break the game so bad then? UE4 should be bad programmers proof by now....

Archived