Ark 2

Jaywall

I keep hearing people talk about a sequel to ark. WHY?! Ark always struck me as the type of game you would just add new content to and continue supporting it with new DLC creatures items and maps. Remember the several years of development hell this game went through? Why would wildcard do it again? Take WARFRAME or any other long running games for example. They should build upon what they already have, especially since the game is full release and still has issues. Do you all want an ark 2? Or just more content even if it's paid DLC? 

30 minutes ago, Jaywall said:

I keep hearing people talk about a sequel to ark. WHY?! Ark always struck me as the type of game you would just add new content to and continue supporting it with new DLC creatures items and maps. Remember the several years of development hell this game went through? Why would wildcard do it again? Take WARFRAME or any other long running games for example. They should build upon what they already have, especially since the game is full release and still has issues. Do you all want an ark 2? Or just more content even if it's paid DLC? 

if it were to use a different engine or be of a different genre then doing sequel makes sense. Also if they were to make a game with a new setting and all the new assets that dont fit base ARK game, then releasing it as separate game is more reasonable than DLC/Total conversion to avoid unnecessary bloating already huge game.

I'd like to see ARK as is live a little longer before we start looking toward an ARK 2... but should such a thing come, I'd expect it's in part because of significant thematic changes from the current game. Even with some of the crazy stuff in Aberration, we're still looking mainly at prehistoric or mythological creatures. In an ARK 2, I expect a full progression to either alien/sci-fi or maybe just a modern day game, in which we're taming lions and tigers and bears, oh my!

• 2 months later...

You Already Have A Massive Framework That You Can Just Constantly Improve Upon! 

A Full Blown Sequel Isnt Just Dumb, Its Innefficient , And A Waste Of Resources! Unless You Are Going To Move The Game To A New "Era" Like Turtle Rock Did With "Evolve: Stage 2" And THATS Being Called A Sequel, Which, It Totally Can Be, Then That', Is A Reasonable Idea, But A Full Blown Sequel? Thats You Proving Everyone Right In That You Are Super Duper Incompetant. 

You Already Have A Massive Framework That You Can Just Constantly Improve Upon! 

A Full Blown Sequel Isnt Just Dumb, Its Innefficient , And A Waste Of Resources! Unless You Are Going To Move The Game To A New "Era" Like Turtle Rock Did With "Evolve: Stage 2" And THATS Being Called A Sequel, Which, It Totally Can Be, Then You Are Proving Everyone Right In That You Are Super Duper Incompetant. 

25 minutes ago, Malorne said:

Actually, Ark 2 is the best idea possible, compared to the current Map and Mechanic engine of ark that strains both server and players, they can make an engine from 0 instead of trashing the current one.

I know a few games, that are well over 10 years old now, updating their engine with no losses to the game front-end.

2 minutes ago, Malorne said:

Yeah, difference between those and Ark is that, ark has to scrap their entire engine to fix everything.

that's not actually true. in the most strict of sense, they could redo the engine and still have everything read from the (current) "Legacy" engine, and that could fix 90% of the problems they have now

1 minute ago, Zederia said:

that's not actually true. in the most strict of sense, they could redo the engine and still have everything read from the (current) "Legacy" engine, and that could fix 90% of the problems they have now

True, but in ark's case, it'll take more time and effort to redo the engine. Fixing the already existing maps, server to cluster-cloud communication, game and game-server memory optimization, game to PC optimazation, dino and structure resize. So yeah, Ark 2 is easier :P

Just now, Malorne said:

True, but in ark's case, it'll take more time and effort to redo the engine. Fixing the already existing maps, server to cluster-cloud communication, game and game-server memory optimization, game to PC optimazation, dino and structure resize. So yeah, Ark 2 is easier :P

except it would use the same resources... so it's just a matter of them fixing the engine. I do have some experience on this front..  it would require a few new DLLs and an exe, not that hard to fix. and they'll never fix the mesh issues..

29 minutes ago, noodaboy said:

Ark 1 = Islands, desert, underwater, underground, floating island, volcanoes, tundras....Dinos and mythical creatures etc

Ark 2 = ???? I cannot think of anymore biomes and creatures WC can exhaust.  Its not gonna happen. 

Are you willing to shell out another $60 for a rehash of Ark? 

ARK1: also going to have hybrids soon(-ish)

Ark2: plenty to milk still, they haven't touched the majority of the dinos yet

13 hours ago, noodaboy said:

Ark 1 = Islands, desert, underwater, underground, floating island, volcanoes, tundras....Dinos and mythical creatures etc

Ark 2 = ???? I cannot think of anymore biomes and creatures WC can exhaust.  Its not gonna happen. 

Are you willing to shell out another $60 for a rehash of Ark? 

No, but if they apply my 30.00 Early Access money to Ark 2, I'd shell out 30 more dollars for a AAA-quality game experience. Which I was actually promised in the first place fyi. But I'm willing to throw down again if I can get what I was promised.

13 hours ago, Malorne said:

They need to change away from that server model. It's there because it works for a rushed team with limited resources, not because it works well for anyone.

On 3/4/2018 at 11:53 AM, Malorne said:

Yeah, difference between those and Ark is that, ark has to scrap their entire engine to fix everything.

They use unreal engine 4 which is constantly updated and is free, along with a ton of other game developers also use this engine. It is not the most efficient but it is free (well they collect royalties) but free to download and develop with. The devs would have to make their own or pay a ton of money for a outsourced one which I think is beyond their expertise/budget. The game engine is basically at the mercy of unreal engine 4 which is mostly a single-threaded engine. Other unreal game engines suffer for poor frame rates/rendering also that are feature rich, think PUBG. There is a reason fornite is using cartoon graphics...

Never in a million years will i get my self roped into a new Wildcard game. Ark is like a bad relationship. Ark make you spend all your time with Ark, it takes away everything  when you don't pay enough attention to it. Ark is a bit crazy which is fun at times but can be really frustrating long term. You never know what Ark is gonna do sometimes it loves you and treats you well , other times It acts totally contrary to what you expect common sense to dictate. You eventually realize Ark is bad for you or too much trouble to continue so you leave Ark, hundreds  many times thousands of hours you put into that relationship all gone in just a few days.  Fast forward a few months maybe a year and Ark comes knocking back on your door. "I've changed" it says "I'm finished now out of early access" Ark looks all nice and shiny with promises of fixed bugs and mechanics. So you decide to try again, after all there were good times you had fun before, didn't you? You even buy the fancy new map Ark has been wanting. You soon realize Ark hasn't changed "Early access" Ark and "Release" Ark and just Ark and you have sunk another 1000 hours into it. You may as well accept it and just get married :P

13 hours ago, Milsurp said:

No, but if they apply my 30.00 Early Access money to Ark 2, I'd shell out 30 more dollars for a AAA-quality game experience. Which I was actually promised in the first place fyi. But I'm willing to throw down again if I can get what I was promised.

You're flat out lying and you know it. You weren't promised a AAA-quality game experience in the first place. I know that you weren't promised that because every single EA purchase required the customer to agree that they were purchasing an early access game with no promises of anything.

You're unhappy with the state of the game. I get that...but you don't need to tell blatant and obvious lies to justify that opinion.

Archived