Defenses against nameless and reapers. Please teach me!

AdligerAdler

I decided to build an outpost in the blue biome. I have not much experience with nameless, and no experience at all with reaper kings and queens.

Apparently my neighbor in the blue biome has a bad habit of not carrying a light pet around when leaving and coming back to his base, so he keeps attracting nameless to the area and they keep coming to me as well, even though I have a bulbdog (light was on) on my shoulder. They attacked my spino and megalosaur.

I hopped on my spino and then all of a sudden while I was killing the nameless... a freaking level 30 reaper king appeared. I only saw them in videos and thought I'm done. I couldn't flee so I fought it. Both spino and megalo had 10k health and 400% melee each. At no point I was able to see the reaper bleeding, I thought I'm going to lose both of my precious tames. My spino was almost dead. But they defeated him eventually. Man, felt I relieved. But what if a high level reaper king appears? I'm totally screwed then.

Obviously I don't want a reaper king attacking my tames again and I don't want the nameless to appear at all. 

What can I do to prevent that? 

1) I have no base walls yet. Can a reaper king climb dino gates or should I put up behemoth gates?

2) Can the reaper king dig under gates/walls? 

3) When I place z plants everywhere in my outpost with no dark place left, nameless and reaper kings can't spawn?

4) I have seen naneless run up to me and attacking me even though I had an activated bulbdog on my shoulder. How? 

5) Every now and then when I have an activated bulbdog on my shoulder, I can hear nameless (not see them) making a noise. Is that some kind of warning that they are waiting for my light pet to go out?

6) Can nameless spawn a reaper queen too?

7) Do tames have to be in the light of a z plant or light pet too to be safe, or do only players attract nameless?

8) Any other tips regarding nameless and reapers?

Thanks

Light bulbdogs and plant z plants everywhere and you should be fine?

Fighting, nameless/reapers feathlights/shinehorn/bulbdogs work, however someone on my server did say, i have these things and they continue to spawn none stop, if that is the case no idea there... that is a bug/glitch/broken or working as intended, guess you wouldn't run out of venom.. ha!

Guess i should address the questions:

1) I have no base walls yet. Can a reaper king climb dino gates or should I put up behemoth gates?

^Yes to both, when i was attacked by 2 and i am on a hill 1 ported under the hill to the top of the hill so did the nameless.

3) When I place z plants everywhere in my outpost with no dark place left, nameless and reaper kings can't spawn?

^That should be how it works also, if they do appear grabs some seeds from the plants and go nade spam happy!.

5) Every now and then when I have an activated bulbdog on my shoulder, I can hear nameless (not see them) making a noise. Is that some kind of warning that they are waiting for my light pet to go out?

^They do not like the light, think mogwhyies :) (sp?) gremlins and the light, bright light bright light!

<probably.

7) The light allows you to do more damage to them.

Nameless are pretty easy to deal with, a basic spino lvl'd to 300% melee can deal with them quite easily, the charged light removes the 90% damage reduction off the nameless and reapers which is why the pets are basically required. Spinos deal with nameless easily and do well against reaper kings.

Reaper kings deal very little damage (well obviously long fights accumulate but that is due to the 90% damage reduction or else they are very easy to deal with averaging 3k-5k HP which is like a high Megalosaurus) the reaper kings are a real joke to be honest.

The charged lights will prevent nameless ambush thus causing them to not appear when you run by them, for base have plant Z all around the inside of your base, that should prevent them from spawning inside and allow your Dino's to kill them off easily, charged lanterns force nameless underground (literally forces them if they walk into the path of the light but they don't disappear, they're still there!)

Reaper queens is not a joke, well it is to an extent since they're at 45k+ HP with 105 base damage but they only spawn in their appropriate zones (radiation land)

Nameless and reapers cannot go through structures the only exception is the nameless spawning on the other side of the walls.

Reapers can't through dino gates with the exception of them jumping off a cliff (like all other dinos, wild do not have the jump ability but tamed ones do)

Megalosaurus is the true apex of aberration currently so just get them and breed them if you want to, having the highest HP and being the highest damage dealer (effective hp that is)

14 hours ago, Pellao said:

Nameless are pretty easy to deal with, a basic spino lvl'd to 300% melee can deal with them quite easily, the charged light removes the 90% damage reduction off the nameless and reapers which is why the pets are basically required. Spinos deal with nameless easily and do well against reaper kings.

Reaper kings deal very little damage (well obviously long fights accumulate but that is due to the 90% damage reduction or else they are very easy to deal with averaging 3k-5k HP which is like a high Megalosaurus) the reaper kings are a real joke to be honest.

The charged lights will prevent nameless ambush thus causing them to not appear when you run by them, for base have plant Z all around the inside of your base, that should prevent them from spawning inside and allow your Dino's to kill them off easily, charged lanterns force nameless underground (literally forces them if they walk into the path of the light but they don't disappear, they're still there!)

Reaper queens is not a joke, well it is to an extent since they're at 45k+ HP with 105 base damage but they only spawn in their appropriate zones (radiation land)

Nameless and reapers cannot go through structures the only exception is the nameless spawning on the other side of the walls.

Reapers can't through dino gates with the exception of them jumping off a cliff (like all other dinos, wild do not have the jump ability but tamed ones do)

Megalosaurus is the true apex of aberration currently so just get them and breed them if you want to, having the highest HP and being the highest damage dealer (effective hp that is)

TY!

On 12/31/2017 at 3:54 PM, AdligerAdler said:

I decided to build an outpost in the blue biome. I have not much experience with nameless, and no experience at all with reaper kings and queens.

Apparently my neighbor in the blue biome has a bad habit of not carrying a light pet around when leaving and coming back to his base, so he keeps attracting nameless to the area and they keep coming to me as well, even though I have a bulbdog (light was on) on my shoulder. They attacked my spino and megalosaur.

I hopped on my spino and then all of a sudden while I was killing the nameless... a freaking level 30 reaper king appeared. I only saw them in videos and thought I'm done. I couldn't flee so I fought it. Both spino and megalo had 10k health and 400% melee each. At no point I was able to see the reaper bleeding, I thought I'm going to lose both of my precious tames. My spino was almost dead. But they defeated him eventually. Man, felt I relieved. But what if a high level reaper king appears? I'm totally screwed then.

Obviously I don't want a reaper king attacking my tames again and I don't want the nameless to appear at all. 

What can I do to prevent that? 

4) I have seen naneless run up to me and attacking me even though I had an activated bulbdog on my shoulder. How? 

7) Do tames have to be in the light of a z plant or light pet too to be safe, or do only players attract nameless?

8) Any other tips regarding nameless and reapers?

Thanks

Nameless spawn initially naturally like every other dino on the map.  They just spawn UNDERNEATH the map.  When you hear them growling, it is, in fact, a warning that they are there and are just waiting.  You can actually kill nameless that are hiding with an anklo, should you use the tail attack.  But here's the thing -- if there is even ONE nameless out, one of them will change into a big glowing version, aka, the alpha.  Kill that sucker FAST.  The alpha can actually summon MORE into the area than are naturally present.  If you kill all of the nameless in an area, you can safely turn out your lights, should you need a break.

I think nameless are only attracted to players since we've accidentally lost or been separated from tames in both the bio and radiation areas, and I've only ever seen them when a player is around.

The charge light acts as both a deterrent, AND a negation ability.  That does not mean that they can't be attracted by someone else outside of the light radius and then attack you because you're around.  Also, the light has to hit close to the surface of the ground to be effective.  We have discovered that riding on the back of a paracer on a platform saddle will keep the light from hitting the ground and such will attract nameless.  The ground was lit up as though it was doing its job, but it wasn't working mechanics wise.

I've seen reaper queens hop over regular dino gates and burrow under them.  Not sure if they were flukes, or if this is something they can normally do.  They can reach over dino gates, which might be just as bad.

1 hour ago, Scrysis said:

Walking over buried nameless with a spino also seems to work. I ran through the terrain with a light pet and suddenly it said your spino level x killed a nameless level x. I had a light pet on and there were no nameless visible, so it must have been underground.

As long as it is just reaper kings and not queens. Queens can only spawn on certain areas right? Don't think they can spawn in the narrow river area in blue biome where a waterfall goes down into purple zone (49/38 kinda).

On 12/31/2017 at 3:54 PM, AdligerAdler said:

I'd strongly suggest getting the health of your Spino much higher than 10K.  I'd tame a high level (135 - 150) and get that health at least over 20K.  Alot of things on this map will go through 10K like butter...

It's ironic, once you start raising rock drakes you'll be constantly complaining there are not enough nameless around. I'll roam around the whole bio-lum area looking for nameless and their precious venom without a light on and it's like they are hiding from me.

Queens can only spawn in the rad zone I believe, only kings show up when the nameless call.

A lot of people are afraid to set up in the Bio-lum area because of the nameless but it's really not that bad if you have a couple good spinos. There's a lot of metal down there and generally not a lot of people build down there. But you do need to set up fast and get auto turrets asap as  people can easily troll you by getting nameless on them and then jump into your base and spawn a reaper king to kill all your tames. Crabs and tamed reapers can easily clear a behemoth gates, so turrets are a must to prevent trolling.

7 hours ago, AdligerAdler said:

Walking over buried nameless with a spino also seems to work. I ran through the terrain with a light pet and suddenly it said your spino level x killed a nameless level x. I had a light pet on and there were no nameless visible, so it must have been underground.

As long as it is just reaper kings and not queens. Queens can only spawn on certain areas right? Don't think they can spawn in the narrow river area in blue biome where a waterfall goes down into purple zone (49/38 kinda).

I was using queens for size.  I think kings should be about the same size, so they might be able to do the same thing.

Also do what Melcreif suggested.  Pump hit points on dinos.   He's not kidding when he says that some things on the map will tear through hit points.

6 hours ago, Melcreif said:

I'd strongly suggest getting the health of your Spino much higher than 10K.  I'd tame a high level (135 - 150) and get that health at least over 20K.  Alot of things on this map will go through 10K like butter...

I tamed a 135 that came out 200 and I already used the "easy" level points. Now 48 level points later it takes long to level up. My spino has 11k health and I also leveled up melee to 400%. Since I reached 400 melee I already put all other level points in health, but it raises only 300 or less health per level.

6 hours ago, Revan25 said:

It's ironic, once you start raising rock drakes you'll be constantly complaining there are not enough nameless around. I'll roam around the whole bio-lum area looking for nameless and their precious venom without a light on and it's like they are hiding from me.

Queens can only spawn in the rad zone I believe, only kings show up when the nameless call.

A lot of people are afraid to set up in the Bio-lum area because of the nameless but it's really not that bad if you have a couple good spinos. There's a lot of metal down there and generally not a lot of people build down there. But you do need to set up fast and get auto turrets asap as  people can easily troll you by getting nameless on them and then jump into your base and spawn a reaper king to kill all your tames. Crabs and tamed reapers can easily clear a behemoth gates, so turrets are a must to prevent trolling.

I'm on PvE. Originally I wanted to set up my main base there too, but since the incidents with the nameless and reaper kings it's too risky and I'm just building an outpost for metal, obsidian blue and normal crystals, and for better access to biolum creatures.

I'm afraid of people luring nameless to my biolum outpost since I have set up my outpost there, so I surrounded it with dino gates. But there's a cliff further up from which players could lead down nameless if they wanted to. I will build dino gates up there too.

Also my stupid neighbor keeps running around without light pets. I told him more than once to carry a freaking light pet because he's leading nameless to me which spawn reaper kings. But he reacts aggressive and calls me a fool and says he is carrying light pets which is a lie. I saw him repeatedly running back to his base with a nameless gang following him. It happened again today and again a reaper king spawned. raptoring again. But this time I had a wall done. I was behind my dino gate wall but the nameless and the king somehow saw me (I watched them over the gates via orbit camera) and tried getting to me. They couldn't and the king buried underground. Reappeared, buried again. I was just praying please don't dig in here. Really worrying me.

I'm really afraid that the king somehow buries under my dino gates or gets over them. People keep saying when you fight him with a light pen on it's easy. But still I'm scared. When I disconnect or bluescreen during the fight, my light pet will die and it will be a very dangerous fight again. I will place z plants all over my outpost and put them in 1x1x1 stone huts or something. So if a king somehow gets into my base he definitely will stay weakened.

11 minutes ago, AdligerAdler said:

I tamed a 135 that came out 200 and I already used the "easy" level points. Now 48 level points later it takes long to level up. My spino has 11k health and I also leveled up melee to 400%. Since I reached 400 melee I already put all other level points in health, but it raises only 300 or less health per level.

That's not terrible but if he's your only Spino you are using I wouldn't expect he'll last long.  Get another one preferably the opposite sex for the mate boosting as well as raising babies in the future.  Nothing you can do about PVE trolls really except moving which it looks like you are planning on doing...

I love how people are misleading others, but that's ok, spinos just get them to 10k hp, 20k is a farfetched amount to achieve on them without insane luck and spending a ton of points into hp, the queens I've always lured them down natural ramps that they can clearly go over a dino gate, however they do not. The only exception is if they go over the cliff or run on top of metal nodes.

15 minutes ago, Melcreif said:

That's not terrible but if he's your only Spino you are using I wouldn't expect he'll last long.  Get another one preferably the opposite sex for the mate boosting as well as raising babies in the future.  Nothing you can do about PVE trolls really except moving which it looks like you are planning on doing...

Yes when next evolution event is I'm trying to get a high lvl male and breed a better spino. There was nothing so far she couldn't defeat. Biggest challenge so far being a lvl 30 alpha karkinos which cost my spino about 4k health. If the spino didn't have a knockback attack I would have lost much more though. If I ever encounter a queen with my spino, I guess I'm done since the spino is too slow to get away. Oh well.

Nope not moving the biolum outpost away, it's a nice place between river with lots of fauna and the abyss to purple zone. What I want to do is build a good defense up against the nameless and reaper kings. Dino gates (which are done), more light pets, and z plants in 1x1x1 stone huts everywhere in the outpost and outside of it where I farm. And maybe those charge lanterns.

• 9 months later...

Archived