My name is John. And I'm a Bulbdog Breeder.

DrSmithDVM

Hello there. I'm a generically named Human with a Steam name that no one likes. And I'm a bulbdog breeder in PvE. Who knew? 

This is essentially my info dump on the progress I'm making with stats and mutations and what not. I've seen plenty of videos about it, but no one really gives the boring details with a goal in mind. I'm going full on hardcore boss-rex breeding here...with bulbdogs. I've made plenty of breeding mistakes back in Legacy and Aberation kinda gives a fresh, clean slate since nothing can transfer in. I haven't tested transferring dinos from Ab to Ab, so maybe that is a thing that can make these more available. For now, this particular bulbdog breeding line will only be available on....insert server name here. Ask for John (there are otters too, but give me a bit).

The Numbers

I am starting with thirteen bulbdogs: 3 males, 6 females and then 2 additional Christmas color pairs. All the males have the superior stats unintentionally but it allows me to just use 6 random females.

HP    Capacity    Regeneration   Range    Speed    Food

Male 1:    957        920                 491              238         230       2212   Lvl 184
Male 2:   1015       680                 782              343         230      2364   Lvl 206
Male 3:   1044       848                 582              302         230      1852   Lvl 169

Fem 1, Fem 2, Fem 3, Fem 4, Fem 5, Fem 6

The Master Pair

This is the culmination of all that taming and shoving of mushrooms. Science calls it the P1 generation. I will call them Male 5 and Fem 10. The goal is to get the highest of all the stats on one dog and have a male and female that are exactly the same with similar Christmas colors. To be more specific:

Male 5: 1044   920   782   343  516  Christmas color    Level?

Fem 10: 1044   920   782   343  516  Christmas color   Level?

I got this idea from TagBackTV on YouTube. He does great mutation breeding videos. When stats are identical, it is much easier to see the mutations and I supppose it does decrease the chance of the mutation getting dropped. Even if just for purely organizational reasons, I feel like it is a good idea.

Step One  Complete!

Male 2 mates with Fem 1 through Fem 6, in two separate breedings of 3 each, just a couple minutes apart. Three babies at a time is much easier to deal with. So far I have only had them whelp outside on solid ground and not a foundation just to be safe.

Goal = Fem 7:   782    343   (only a female with these stats will be kept)  I chose to mate the dog with 2 desirable stats first just to get it out of the way.

Step Two

Male 1 mates with Fem 7. Goal = Fem 8:    920    782    343   (only a female with these stats will be kept)

step Three

Male 3 mates with Fem 8. Goal = Male 4 or Fem 9:   1044    920    782    343   (whichever happens first)

Step Four

Goal: Christmas color, low food. This is the tricky color and low food part I am playing around with while I still work on Step One. Stay tuned for more info. Breeding with a low level food dog will give me more mutations before I hit the 450 level cap. I plan to not ever breed a dog above 375 or so. Starting lower leaves more room for extra levels. Weight is a stat that is so similar I won't bother trying to lower it.

Step Five

Breeding Male 4 or Fem 9 with Christmas+Food. Goal = Male 5 and Fem 10:   1044    920    782    343    516  Christmas color

Will I make it happen? Only time will tell.

The Next Generation

Geneticists call it the F1 generation. It would mean I got a mutation. Again I give credit to TagBackTv for this process. Kudos to him for understanding the mutation system and explaining it. 
As soon as said mutation has occurred, I will breed the male or female F1 with the opposite gendered P1 dog. It is also important to "dispose" of mutations that occur before the P1 generation has been created, they both need to be 0/20 on both sides.

The Song That Never Ends....

After every subsequent mutation on the desired stats, I will mate that new dog back with the P1, and so on and so forth. I will stop when the babies start to pop out at lvl 375.

Nursing Care

Gestation: 4 hours 10 minutes. Waiting period between breeding cycles: 1 day, 12 hours, 20 minutes.

So far, I've noticed that they tend to eat about 3 meat every 5 minutes. I have been successful in leaving them alone with a full inventory of meat for about 1.5 hours  at a time and completely letting them go at 6.5% maturation. They can hold enough meat to get them to 10% at that point. I will do more testing at 5% with cooked meat. They seem to mature about 1% every 30 minutes and my math skills lead me to believe the total maturation is 2 days and 2 hours. Luckily with 94% of that fairly low maintenance trough feeding.

Personal History

"Why?" you ask? Long story short: I play ARK on a 5-year-old gaming laptop with obvious graphics and processor shortcomings (think Nintendo64-ish look). But I love the game: 2100+ hours and counting. However, Aberation just does not run well for me at all. I literally have to stare at the ground when running to get up to 6-8 fps and there's still almost 700 ms of latency to deal with. Ragnarok is like a vivid VR dream compared to this. I love the map though, and I love ARK, and I gotta play it. This has led me to decide to be a base-dwelling hermit breeder who rarely ventures out except to tame more bulbdogs and otters.

Thanks for reading and stay tuned for updates and completely non-aggressive, informational discussion.

• Volunteer Moderator
31 minutes ago, d1nk said:

Hahah neat. Love your dedication and the write up! Some screenshots would be nice too! I got myself some christmas light pets and love the poop out of them, so much so they just decor the base hahaha

Hey!

Yeah, I am loving those shoulder pets.  They are very useful, in multiple ways.  And, pretty cute on top of that.

Though, I stopped carrying the Featherlight.  If you DC or something happens to you, the seem to fly away, and get themselves killed.  :Jerbcry:

@DrSmithDVM

Nice write up.  Going to come back to this when I get a chance to do a little breeding.

16 minutes ago, Jerryn said:

Hey!

Yeah, I am loving those shoulder pets.  They are very useful, in multiple ways.  And, pretty cute on top of that.

Though, I stopped carrying the Featherlight.  If you DC or something happens to you, the seem to fly away, and get themselves killed.  :Jerbcry:

@DrSmithDVM

Nice write up.  Going to come back to this when I get a chance to do a little breeding.

Hey! :) Theres a face i havent seen in awhile!

I didnt know that! I was trying to tame a 168 green christmas one (max 180 dinos) and as I was chasing it (cant crab-grab em :( ) I ran right into the jaws of a Mega! Haha.. sooo havent gone back to retry

But those Shinehorns my god.. hold onto your butts!! So cute. Got myself an all red one with santa hat on.. jesus christ im a grown man and i squeel like a kid when I see it run. 

Edit: Whats with the new forum system?! I dont like change!! Hahah

22 minutes ago, Jerryn said:

Hey!

@DrSmithDVM

What if they are on follow mode?

• Volunteer Moderator
20 hours ago, d1nk said:

Hey! :) Theres a face i havent seen in awhile!

I didnt know that! I was trying to tame a 168 green christmas one (max 180 dinos) and as I was chasing it (cant crab-grab em :( ) I ran right into the jaws of a Mega! Haha.. sooo havent gone back to retry

But those Shinehorns my god.. hold onto your butts!! So cute. Got myself an all red one with santa hat on.. jesus christ im a grown man and i squeel like a kid when I see it run. 

Edit: Whats with the new forum system?! I dont like change!! Hahah

LOL...I know, those Shinehorns are stinking cute.  Even just turning them on and off when they are on your shoulder gives you a bit of a smile.

On the forums, do you mean the new dark theme?  If so, if you scroll all the way down, under the Hosted by Nitro is a button called Theme, which you can use to change back to the old theme if you want.

@RaidersOfTheLostArk

That is a good idea.  I might give that a try and see what happens.  I usually don't use the follow-me on shoulders, because I forget to turn it off when I put them away, and then the next thing I know, there they are, right behind me.  :D

On 12/31/2017 at 1:03 PM, ilidrael said:

Hey john :) this is my stats:

im also breeding the 3 other lights tho :) 

Those are really good. I decided to stop searching for higher levels after I got the 4 Christmas ones. I would love to improve the P1 health.

13 hours ago, Jrminot said:

Question about the glow pets. I plan on breeding glow horns because they are simple adorable. Does the glow range stat actually work? Me and a friend compared our ranges on two different pets and they seemed identical dispute having a decent difference in the range stat.

I haven't really compared them yet. I did notice that when driving a paracer the range on a low level dog is not enough to affect the Nameless attacking your feet. 

On 12/31/2017 at 1:45 PM, d1nk said:

Hahah neat. Love your dedication and the write up! Some screenshots would be nice too!

Screenshots will be uploaded soon.

On 12/31/2017 at 2:22 PM, Jerryn said:

Thanks. I hope I can share some successes.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2018 at 11:06 AM, Jerryn said:

LOL...I know, those Shinehorns are stinking cute.  Even just turning them on and off when they are on your shoulder gives you a bit of a smile.

Probably the worst feeling in the game is accidentally killing a wild shinehorn and hearing it's death wail...  It's absolutely heartbreaking....

On 01/01/2018 at 5:09 PM, Jrminot said:

Question about the glow pets. I plan on breeding glow horns because they are simple adorable. Does the glow range stat actually work? Me and a friend compared our ranges on two different pets and they seemed identical dispute having a decent difference in the range stat.

At 700 nameless spawn underneath and attack, 800 they spawn to the sides and attack, 900 i occasionally get one spawn behind me. With 1000 range completely lights my paracer and a small area around it resulting in no nameless.

• 1 month later...

Step One Complete!

I was only able to do one breeding during Valentine's, but I finally got Female 7 with 782 regen and 343 range, and twins to boot (named 7A and 7B). It was insane the number of males that were popping out almost every time. With two Fem 7s hopefully Step 2 will go a little quicker. I also got a Purplish Valentine dog for color later on.

ValEvent.thumb.png.61ed0de1678dee6e499d28751fe66516.png

I upgraded my base this weekend, too, and now it's kind of a mess. There's poop everywhere. Strangely enough, the FPS actually improved after building the base.

NewBase.thumb.png.ab26bacf9f4f6c962b561e4470e3df1b.png

Forgot to mention I have already gotten a couple of mutations, so I'm pretty confident that the F1 generation will happen in a timely manner once I get to that point.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Homith said:

G'day everyone - Just had a quick question with these lovely pets :) If I leave them on auto activate on recharge how quickly does that deplete its food (if it does at all..?)?

Cheers and thanks in advance ;)

I don't think it affects its food consumption. At least I never noticed anything.

Archived