Ragnarok Ice cave ended in disaster

DEL707

Could use some tips and pointers for the Ragnarok ice cave.

Me and a mate went in there today, wearing a mismatch of fur armour, some ascendant. Ascendant pump-actions shotguns with 100 shells each, my mate also went in with a primative riot shield.

Things didn't go too badly to begin with, we were slowly making our way through the cave, taking out worms, but each worm always seemed to get in 1 or 2 hits, which quickly broke the shield, then starting taking a toll on out armour. We tried to run out when we were running low on ammo and our armour on the verge of breaking, sadly we had a couple of respawns so we ended up naked, then dead.

We weren't able to retrieve our gear.

Any tips on how to beat this cave?

You will need a LOT of shields. Ice Worms deal ~250 damage a hit, which, on shields, directly translates to durability. A primitive Riot shield can only take ~11 hits before it breaks. Thats basically 5-6 Worms. Counting respawns on the way back, you should take 5 primitive riot shields to be on the safe side.

Also, have backup gear on a platformed Quetz, so when things DO go south, you can retrieve your loot. Otherwise you are 100% raptored.

Finally, you can either breed jumping-capable dinos inside the cave, such as a Saber, Direwolf, or Thylac, or take in good Vultures or Dimorphs in there.

I use wood shields and some ressources to repair them on the go.
Also you can tame Hyenas and breed them at the ice cave, I've done this and was very successful, even at the boss in the end of the ice dave dungeon.

You should also consider taking dimorphs, so you can whistle them to attack the deathworms from a distance.

Am on 121 movementspeed + Focal Chilli i simply outrun the Deathworms. As most Stuff in Ark its easy to stuck em and safely loot the Crates. If you wanna kill the Queen, you need some better Shields. Or more People with good Pumpguns. If you arent playing on official PVP you can breed some Dinos as allready mentioned above.

3 hours ago, Umber0010 said:

not sure about the Queen, but with a 250%+ pump action shotgun you can 1 shot the Iceworm males, often while they're coming out of the ice, therefore before they can get a hit off

I agree, a decent shotgun and well aimed shots will 1-shot Ice Worm Males since they only have like 1700HP,

has this been fixed that actual Deathworms spawn in that cave?

20 hours ago, Wickedkungfu said:

Except right now the ice cave has normal death worms instead of ice worms. Went I. Yesterday and the first worm was an alpha death worm. 

That could explain my struggles though I am on console. I have ran this cave solo 4 times. The first 2 times I had no issues. Got all the crates. Farmed like 12 or more horns, jumped down, let the queen despawn (first time was accident as I went to the bathroom before fighting her), got the artifact, no problem. 

The 3rd time I used the same set up as the first two times. But I went through my armor fast and it felt like they were ganging up on me. I died that time. 

I geared up the 4th time. Took an extra set of armor but went through my health brews so fast. I finally jumped down to face the queen with the last set of armor I had on me but she destroyed me. 

I haven't been able to go since, since someone placed an Allo in the entrance way blocking access. Waiting for that ticket to be resolved before I try again. 

For the OP:

When I did run this cave successfully (minus fighting the queen) I went in with a 225 pump action shotgun, two 230-280 flak armor sets, 200 ammo, 50 health brews, 5 fria curry, 5 shadow steak saute, 5 enduro stew, 5 lazarus chowder, 25 custom consumable that gives me 1100 food, 1400 hp (made as a 1000 crafting character from 56 raw meat). 

If you're going to fight the queen, you definitely need some shield's and possibly a sword. 

that cave is easy

Step 1: tame a 4-5 otters.

Step 2: tame some descent megalainia to breed

Step 3: Get meglainia egg and otters and take them under the low point in the ice cave entrance.

Step 4: Hatch meglainia egg in the cave...

Step 5: kill ice worms like their nothing.

We farm the red drops all day doing this

Did they nerf the cave.

Before I raised 2 Thylo in the cave, both imprinted and mated bonus, but they took their time to kill the worms. We've got them both sitting in the boss room now.

I raised another Thylo in there other the weekend and took it out to kill some worms to lvl her up and she was absolutely destroying them in under 10 seconds!

Archived