Starting out

FrozenBeast5802

Hey, Im pretty new to this, i got the game for christmas, ive learned a lot just playing single player, im level 37 or something..... I have 3 trikes in a pen, I live in the southwest area. I got a dilo a para and one ptero.

Ive begun to fly to another island towards the east, but it is in the mid southern area, and it is INFESTED with carnivorous beasts, i want a raptor, but i cant get to a safe spot to knock them out, as other things like other raptors, gator things, carnos,  bugs, and some mean water, land lizard.

I want to continue, but I need a gillie suit, but that area is the only area with organic polymer, due to high amounts of hesperonis'. Im stuck, Im gonna join multiplayer tomorrow and get someone to start with.

Sorry for the novel, here is the point.

1, I want suggestions and pointers.

2, I want help with my gillie suit and raptor problem,

3, I want someone to play with, start brand new on a pvp server or a non dedicated server to work together

Shoot me a msg on Xbox One msg FrozenBeast9159.

Thx all!

Ok, for organic polymer head to the winter biome and kill penguins & harvest worth a club... There's areas with only penguins and no hostiles... Don't think that ghille will keep you safe in the wild however, you'll still get attacked.

When taming in a hostile environment build a taming cage near by and lure the dino in with a flyer or pick them up and drop them in. You'll need an Argy and a Quetz to pick up any decent sized mount.

Also, a word of advice on official PVP servers... STAY AWAY until you are familiar with all the game mechanics. It's a pretty toxic crowd and you'll only set yourself up for continual trolling, griefing, failure and being completely wiped if you go in while still learning.

Maybe try some unofficial PVE servers for multiplayer while you're still a noob.

Finally, there's literally hundreds of YouTubers who cover everything about this game... Absolute best place to learn and get some entertainment at the same time.

Welcome to Ark!

5 minutes ago, HalfSlabBacon said:

Also, a word of advice on official PVP servers... STAY AWAY until you are familiar with all the game mechanics.

I think if a player wants to PvP then its better to start playing and get molded by (official)PvP server. That way they will get used to the feeling of losing items/dinos and wont put much emotional value in them other than "convenient tools".

5 minutes ago, DarthaNyan said:

I think if a player wants to PvP then its better to start playing and get molded by (official)PvP server. That way they will get used to the feeling of losing items/dinos and wont put much emotional value in them other than "convenient tools".

That's a fair point of view and in most PVP games I'd agree. My opinion differs for Ark on official PVP specifically because it isn't really PVP at all, it's offline raiding & wiping for the most part.

To someone new that thinks it's actually PVP, official can be enough to turn them away from an otherwise amazing game.

5 hours ago, HalfSlabBacon said:

Ok, for organic polymer head to the winter biome and kill penguins & harvest worth a club... There's areas with only penguins and no hostiles... Don't think that ghille will keep you safe in the wild however, you'll still get attacked.

When taming in a hostile environment build a taming cage near by and lure the dino in with a flyer or pick them up and drop them in. You'll need an Argy and a Quetz to pick up any decent sized mount.

Ya I knew penguins was probably the way to go, but I need fur armor which isnt easy to get in my area, i have found one otter, and I want obsidian for scissors, but I cant go towards the middle without overheating.

Ive tried luring a raptor away, but it insists on fightings EVERYTHING so it ends up ignoring me, or dead.

From what I understand quetzel are not only rare, but hard to tame, and you need a higher level for their saddle. Argys, which I assume means argentavis, I know nothing about where to find them, how to tame thenm etc. ...

Id also line some tips on gathering basic stuff like metal and stone etc., as whacking everything repeatedly with my tools, isnt super efficient for dino gates and traps etc.

Thx for the help

My best advice to anyone is to take a doed and a beaver, not sure of the levels for the saddle at the moment, but you can power level by collecting dossiers throughout the map.  Also, in would highly recommend building up your fortitude to at leasdt twenty asd that will increase your tolerance to the weather around you.  Gamertag on Xbox is SirTCO if you have any other questions I would be willing to offer you.

4 hours ago, FrozenBeast5802 said:

Ya I knew penguins was probably the way to go, but I need fur armor which isnt easy to get in my area, i have found one otter, and I want obsidian for scissors, but I cant go towards the middle without overheating.

Ive tried luring a raptor away, but it insists on fightings EVERYTHING so it ends up ignoring me, or dead.

From what I understand quetzel are not only rare, but hard to tame, and you need a higher level for their saddle. Argys, which I assume means argentavis, I know nothing about where to find them, how to tame thenm etc. ...

Id also line some tips on gathering basic stuff like metal and stone etc., as whacking everything repeatedly with my tools, isnt super efficient for dino gates and traps etc.

Thx for the help

You have to be very patient when kiting aggressive mounts into a box. Practice makes perfect!

Yes Argy is Argentavis... Head to Fars Peak. Look the map up on the wiki. You can actually strafe in circles shooting them while they're aggro. Easy tame once you have the hang of it. Quetz is later yes but an important tame, especially for farming.

You are correct... Don't farm with your pick and axe. Here's the list of must have farming tames....

Berries- Trike, Stego, Therizino

Stone & Obsidian- Doedics

Flint, metal, obsidian, Crystal, Stone- Anklo

Wood, Thatch- Beaver, Mammoth, Therizino

Mostly Thatch- Deer, Trike

As for Fur... You can handle a short period in the snow, stick to the edges and you'll be ok... Fly in, kill, get fur, fly out, heal, repeat.

Also, look up Herbivore island... Non hostile, best spot to farm metal, stone and wood peacefully. Carefully take a raft with farming Dino's... Stay out of deep water as much as possible.

Fars Peak that I mentioned earlier is also one of the best spots for Crystal & metal... You'll need a Quetz and Anky for this.

Finally, as mentioned... Put levels into fortitude. 10 min, 20-25 is about the sweet spot.

6 hours ago, FrozenBeast5802 said:

Thx for the help

Don't bother building a pen for a raptor, just bola them should only take a couple shots to the face to knock them out then throw up some spike walls around it to keep it safe from other dinos.

On 12/29/2017 at 11:36 PM, FrozenBeast5802 said:

Hey, Im pretty new to this, i got the game for christmas, ive learned a lot just playing single player, im level 37 or something..... I have 3 trikes in a pen, I live in the southwest area. I got a dilo a para and one ptero.

Ive begun to fly to another island towards the east, but it is in the mid southern area, and it is INFESTED with carnivorous beasts, i want a raptor, but i cant get to a safe spot to knock them out, as other things like other raptors, gator things, carnos,  bugs, and some mean water, land lizard.

I want to continue, but I need a gillie suit, but that area is the only area with organic polymer, due to high amounts of hesperonis'. Im stuck, Im gonna join multiplayer tomorrow and get someone to start with.

3, I want someone to play with, start brand new on a pvp server or a non dedicated server to work together

Thx all!

If you still need someone to play with on a non dedicated session and want to learn some tricks my gamer tag is DarkRaven4176. I would be more than willing to help you out in getting organic polymer and taming a raptor or what ever dino you would like to tame. I have played ark on xbox since it was released. Easier show people tips in game than on forums sometimes. Also look at youtube. Lots of good resource videos out there. I know how it feels to play this game on your own without another person...can be hard but at the same time can be easier sometimes.

IMO Completely stay away from official...Not only is the community the most toxic thing since acid rain, but the gather rates are ridiculously low. Try an unofficial with boosted gather raters around 5 times. it doesnt make it extremely easy but instead of 2 stones each time you'll pick up around 10 at a time. also will raptors and other dino around that size and smaller bolas are your BEST friend. Cheap to make so make about 5-10 and go crazy. I play on PC and Ps4 so i can't log on with you to help you but if you have any questions I'd be glad to help.

You can also build a raft and stick close to the shore and then place half a dozen campfires around where you stand to steer the raft to maintain heat in the cold. Also keep checking loot drops for better hide armour for improved cold protection for your snow biome trip. Have a smithy on the raft so you can kill a mammoth or two and bring the pelt back to the smithy as it is quite heavy for a ptera to carry, then make the fur armour piece by piece as your get enough fur while you are on the raft. Try to be done before evening starts as it gets intolerably cold at night sometimes. Make sure you have enough hide, metal ingots and fiber for crafting your fur armour before you go. Herbivore Island (South East safe island) best place to get some decent tames, meat, prime, hide, metal, etc.

On 12/30/2017 at 12:25 AM, DarthaNyan said:

I would suggest the opposite. As a player with over 10k now, hours exclusively in Official Ark PvP.

The Official servers are highly toxic to new players, due to the prevalence of insiding/spying and the fact that most of the official PvP tribes cheat somehow in some capacity, and that more then a couple of them have been brought down from the inside due to someone in the tribe reporting this behavior. Generally speaking, it's probably better to start out on Unofficial, get built up, watch some streams and learn if the culture of Official PvP is something you want to touch. 

4 hours ago, iAmE said:

I would suggest the opposite. As a player with over 10k now, hours exclusively in Official Ark PvP.

The Official servers are highly toxic to new players, due to the prevalence of insiding/spying and the fact that most of the official PvP tribes cheat somehow in some capacity, and that more then a couple of them have been brought down from the inside due to someone in the tribe reporting this behavior. Generally speaking, it's probably better to start out on Unofficial, get built up, watch some streams and learn if the culture of Official PvP is something you want to touch. 

What he said. Check out unofficial servers first. Find one with rates and players that you like that isn't too mod heavy. Unofficial you can choose PvP or PvE and generally not run into too many problems. Official is as toxic as can be and even if you can deal with the mass pillaring and inability to tame or breed because your PvE server is capped, or you can deal with the constant wipes of PvP, you'll still struggle with server performance, dupers, constant server crashes and rubber banding. 

Since moving to unofficial, I've been having way more fun. If you can't find a good home, message me and I'll get you in with us! 

On 12/29/2017 at 11:36 PM, FrozenBeast5802 said:

Thx all!

Honestly I would stay away from official servers and just stick to private ones. if your thinking about playing pvp the best way to do it would just be to find a private server that has rules like no wiping, no killing passive tames, no constantly handcuffing people etc and seeing how that goes first or you could be in for a tough time. I currently run one like that with boosted taming and breeding if you would be interested in trying it out. Theres only a few of us that play on it and everybody just tries to have fun. Its on aberration though, idk if you have that or not but if you do and would like to give it a try just add Dirty Delynn as a friend and ill add you back when i get home and you can just click on the name and go to join game. Regardless if you join mine or not I would definitely recommend trying out a private server even if its a pve one. I played official for about 2 years and eventually tried a private server and I'll never play official again. 

Archived