What's your favourite map?

Shinehorn

I've never really been to the center except for trades, but it looks nice. Island is ok.

My favourite map is SE. I liked it even better before people could transfer island dinos, now everyone has his gigas on the map to eat deathworms, wyvern, rock golems. 

There's no fog. I like the setting of the map. I love that my view is never obstructed by trees. The rare sandstorms can be annoying but no problem with a jerboa. Spoil timers suck but make sense. Aggro range of wyvern seems to be a lot smaller than on rag. Only 3 caves, which makes it less annoying to have a small outpost near them (resetting timers). Easy desert loot. Easy xp from DWs and wyvern. Nice story. Easy taming of some animals (no thylas jumping at you, cliffs near rex spawns). Phoenix hunting. Infinite oil.

Rag looks amazing and has great places to live, but it's too easy. You don't have to work for any resources, high lvl tames are easy to find and not special at all. Wyverns are easy to raise. No fog or sandstorms, regular spoil timers, there's absolutely no challenge except other players blocking paths. 

Guest DJRone89

I host a small community cluster with Ragnarok as my main, and the 2nd rotating between the DLC and The Island.

Despite that, The Center is by far my favourite map. The maps itself has been brilliantly crafted with all the different biomes and huge cave systems making it a truely unique map.

@AVENGED I too miss the legacy days on The Island as you cannot replace those memories especially when first starting out.

@Anarki Ragnarok is huge yes, but it’s a great map if you like exploring by ground. I feel you miss too much when using flyers but it’s a needs must because of how much ground you have to cover to get anywhere. But like The Center, high level dinos are in abundance.

The Island is the perfect, balanced map imo. It only lacks a desert biome that can be easily added via mods or map extensions (I made a few myself).

I really don't like The Center bc of it's lack of contiguous land (not my play style) and yes, Rag is too easy. SE comes at a close second place to me bc of the increased difficult and before it was ruined with Island dinos.

Aberration I still don't know what I think about it... to soon.

Its a tie between The Island and Scorched Earth for me.

The Island has the best diversity, both by climate and biological creatures. Makes it kinda hard to dislike it. Scorched Earth because its so darn epic, it presents a fresh challenge compared to the establishment and the new creatures are equally amazing.

I haven't explored all of the Aberration, I barely scratched the surface. So I cannot weight in yet. I did like what I have seen so far.

Ragnarok is ok, I haven't played it since they released the desert part, it was shielded off at the time. But it is an ok map. I confess my only business there is getting the Griffin and the Ice Wyvern.

The Center I just don't like it at all. The way it is designed doesn't work for me, but I hear that for sea tribes this map is pretty awesome (which probably is the case considering how dreadful the land mass is, I do like the floating island though).

Cheers 

They're all so good IMO. But I have to say my favorite map has to be Abberation now. Before that the Center. I love the Center because of the cavern designs and cave networks. There's also a lot of really cool views and base locations.

As for Abberation, it's just beautiful. There's 4 different levels in the single map which is outstanding since it leads to so much diversity. The surface which is hazardous and engulfed in flames half the time, the fertile zone, the bioluminescence zone, then the radiation zone. There's a lot of very awe inspiring locations as well for base locations giving you a great scenic view.

Best part about Abberation? No flying mounts and it's a stacked map (4 levels). You find yourself encountering other players SO much more frequently which is amazing. It really brings out the games social encounters a lot more thus engaging more trading and communication.

I would have to say aberration even though I haven't fully explored it yet. I like how hard it is and that there are no flyers which seems to make everything way too easy, early on imo.  After that it would be the island cause of amount of time playing on it. I didn't like the center cause of its layout and rag was too buggy for me.

Scorched pre transfers is my favorite so far but as i explore aberration more and more it is moving up the list.  Im with many others here in that i really really like ragnarok but it is by far too easy, i pictured it as an end game map where everything should be harder but it is the opposite and im disappointed.  I have many fond memories on the island but it has more to do with starting out in ark and learning everything along with everyone else, that sense of newness that only scorched has captured for me since.

Definitely Ragnorak. Aside from the size there's numerous amount of spots to build, both scorched earth and vanilla Dino's included along with materials and items from both, griffins, and beautiful biomes. The center is ugly in comparison, although it's better for resource farming. The island is decent for smaller map endeavors/playstyles and for no fly servers for unnoficial. 

Ragnarok

-high level spawns make it feel more challenging

-it's huge

-Great views (ever been on the bridge overlooking the canyon?)

-you don't have to travel half-way across the map for resources

-SE content

-the ice worm labyrinth, jungle dungeon, and puzzle maze. three expertly crafted caves

-the name being a Reference to Norse Mythology

10 hours ago, WolfBrink said:

They're all so good IMO. But I have to say my favorite map has to be Abberation now. Before that the Center. I love the Center because of the cavern designs and cave networks. There's also a lot of really cool views and base locations.

As for Abberation, it's just beautiful. There's 4 different levels in the single map which is outstanding since it leads to so much diversity. The surface which is hazardous and engulfed in flames half the time, the fertile zone, the bioluminescence zone, then the radiation zone. There's a lot of very awe inspiring locations as well for base locations giving you a great scenic view.

Best part about Abberation? No flying mounts and it's a stacked map (4 levels). You find yourself encountering other players SO much more frequently which is amazing. It really brings out the games social encounters a lot more thus engaging more trading and communication.

Amen! I love it so much! Theres a real hazard almost everywhere, you have to be aware and make creative base design / builds too!

No flyers is best. Always liked the concept and its forced upon you here!

Scorched and aberration are tied for first i just love the unique challenges that both maps have, island is 3rd except i really hate where the red woods biome was placed wish it was further north, then ragnarok while i love the map its more like a vacation destination lol and the center.. dont care to much for it after flyer nerf and leeds introduction and it needs a map specific creature 

Ragnarok!

I love its size, how beautiful it is & the views, has many great spots to build and all biomes, resources & dinos/creatures in 1 location (great for us SPers).

Always finding new things while out exploring and love the high level spawns.

I'm sure I might loathe it a bit once the Griffin nerf hits (haven't updated since the nerf hit & won't until something huge comes out- rest of Rag's map, S+ or dino TLC)... & wouldn't have to worry about it at all IF they'd just give us (SP, those running their own servers , etc) the ability to have our own control/configurations!! Seriously, we should make a post about that!

I run private servers for my wife, my kids and I on dedicated server hardware at home. We're up to six servers now, 1 x The Island, 1 x Scorched Earth, 2 x The Center and 2 x Ragnarok. We spend most of our time on Ragnarok, it just puts the other maps in the shade in my opinion, beautiful and massive, despite thinking I know it inside out, every time I explore it on a land animal I find something new I didn't know existed. I have barely touched the Island or Center maps (we use one of them just for storing mutation breeds on now and never actually play on it) since Ragnarok released.

As for Abberation, it just doesn't look like my sort of thing, but we may try it one day.

Archived