Jump to content

TheCreep

Rock Drakes are too weak

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, smilodon2005 said:

my rock drake lvl 201 has 8k hp 361 melee and 1611 stam but is weak against reaper even with light pet a lvl 16 almost killed my drake

I'm sorry to say but that is very low melee. You should invest more points in melee as well as a better saddle.

Edited by Wazzamaniac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/14/2018 at 10:12 AM, smilodon2005 said:

my rock drake lvl 201 has 8k hp 361 melee and 1611 stam but is weak against reaper even with light pet a lvl 16 almost killed my drake

361 Melee and 8k HP won't cut it against a Reaper, even a Primitive Saddle won't really help much (just what did you invest the skill point on, Stamina?). You need 500+ Melee and at least 10k HP worth of health pool, along with a decent saddle If you are utilizing drakes to hunt for Reapers. Start hunting for decent eggs and raise dem babies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Vaculity said:

361 Melee and 8k HP won't cut it against a Reaper, even a Primitive Saddle won't really help much (just what did you invest the skill point on, Stamina?). You need 500+ Melee and at least 10k HP worth of health pool, along with a decent saddle If you are utilizing drakes to hunt for Reapers. Start hunting for decent eggs and raise dem babies.

^^ This is accurate. A lvl +180 drake should with only minimal leveling get 10k health around 500 melee and 1.5k stamina. If you have a lower level drake then you should focus on egg hunting until you get some higher level eggs. It took me a while to get to the high lvl eggs (lost about 6-7 drakes through trial and error) but once you get it figured out you can farm high lvl eggs no problem. Lower level drakes are just not worth the effort, any egg below lvl 170 is just going to become basilisk food.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Kawarriorking said:

^^ This is accurate. A lvl +180 drake should with only minimal leveling get 10k health around 500 melee and 1.5k stamina. If you have a lower level drake then you should focus on egg hunting until you get some higher level eggs. It took me a while to get to the high lvl eggs (lost about 6-7 drakes through trial and error) but once you get it figured out you can farm high lvl eggs no problem. Lower level drakes are just not worth the effort, any egg below lvl 170 is just going to become basilisk food.

I often set my points of the following based on what state the drake was born with (not counting imprints):
> If the drake was born with either mostly HP or Melee, its going to be the one that will be mainly attacking, more so for getting Reaper Kings when taking hits from Reaper Queen

> If the drake was born with mostly Stamina, its going to be the one that navigates around the map, more specifically for Surface since it can go invisible for a long term and prevent reaper king's presence long as I do not de-camo or exit.

> If the drake was born with mostly weight, its going to be the pack mule for Aberration or short distance item transport for other maps, even if it does not have weight reduction.

I have yet to see drakes born with mostly food or oxygen, but those kinds are usually useless anyways.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/28/2017 at 5:23 PM, TheCreep said:

1. The passenger takes damage from attacks and can die, while the rider remains fine like any other mount
 

This is the only thing about Rock Drakes I think needs a bit of attention. If the person riding bitch doesn't have a glow-pet and sometimes even if they do, wild dinos favor attacking them vs. the drake or the driver. This seems odd to me and almost removes the usefulness of having a 2-man saddle. All other things posted as "problems" I have not experienced and do not agree with.

Rock Drakes are essential to AB exploration or "progression" if you will, they work perfectly as intended on this map and their role on this map exclusively.

The only other thing I might mention  worth taking a look at is using gps or map while "gliding" - you cannot glide while either of those items are in use and therefore if you're gliding somewhere in particular it is incredibly easy to get turned around and "lost". I like this level of difficulty, but I'm not sure if this is working as intended or not. I have yet to read any published material on this so I figured I might bring it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Mizznubcakezxo said:

The only other thing I might mention  worth taking a look at is using gps or map while "gliding" - you cannot glide while either of those items are in use and therefore if you're gliding somewhere in particular it is incredibly easy to get turned around and "lost". I like this level of difficulty, but I'm not sure if this is working as intended or not. I have yet to read any published material on this so I figured I might bring it up.

Its the same with certain specific dino in terms of their alternate ability usage. I can't exactly remember which creature, but I think its intended... for you guess it, PvP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When i first tried them I thought they were pretty trash, but just convenient transport on abb.  After experimenting with them I think they're pretty much good enough to use on other maps.  They do have pretty mediocre attack speed, but they're burst, not DPS, and the utility they have makes up for the lack of bite speed.  If you approach from a high angle and aim for the top of a target it hits 5-10 times and ends up doing more damage than a Griffin's swoop used to.  You'll oneshot max level crabs and spinos.  They have pretty trash stamina regen, but other than that and attack speed they're pretty much more mobile rexes with slightly lower fully leveled HP that you can also shoot from and can avoid agro from every mob in the game.  If my first drake was low leveled I probably would've thought they were absolute trash and not bothered beyond that, but I've gotten some high leveled ones pretty well and I see few downsides to them other than the flier multiplier on damage despite not really being a flier and the above mentioned.  I'd take a wyvern in nearly every situation off ab, but I still see uses for their burst pounce if you jsut want to instantly kill something with mid/level HP.  Granted that a lightning wyvern will mop the floor with that pounce in damage overall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rock Drakes are by far not weak. They are the mount of choice for Alpha Rockwell.

I should also add they are unlike any other dino in the game in terms of handling. You actually need to practice with them in order to see what they are capable of and what you can and cannot do. There are a lot of situations where a drake would be even better then a bred Rex, barring straight out combat.

Rexs can't climb, swim, glide, go invisible, can't be shot off from while mounted, can't hold multiple passengers, can't shoot across the maps, pounce bomb things, run fast, detect reapers, be stored on a wall and not fall off, jump out of water, and be resistant to radiation.

I will further add that if you are stupid with them, yes, you and your drake will die. Same as any other dino actually.

Edited by Raiah
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/28/2017 at 6:10 PM, LouSpowells said:

Yes. In addition to rock drakes not biting as hard and fast as a megalosaurus, they also don't swim as fast as frogs, glow as bright as shinehorns, jump as high as karkis, bite as hard as spinos, carry as much metal as ravagers, roll as fast as roll rats, spit venom as well as basilisks, stomp as good as paracers, shock as good as electric eels, or gallop as good as equus. 

Then again, if you need something that bites as hard and fast as a megalosaurus, there's something that does that. If you need something to swim as fast as a frog, there's something that does that. If you need something that glows as bright as shinehorns, there's something that does that. Jump as high as a karki? There's something that does that. Bites as hard as spinos? There's something that does that. Carries as much metal as ravagers? There's something that does that. Rolls as fast as roll rats? There's something that does that. Spit venom? There's something that does that.

...but what if you're looking for something that can float like a glider, climb up walls and onto ceilings, carry a second rider, kill just about every wild animal without too much issue, notify you of reapers, and turn invisible? Any suggestions for one single animal that can do all of those things?

I love this post.. and I agree fully. I love rock drakes. I love everything about them. And the cute sounds they make when they eat! Plus we go get eggs and level up our reaper babies all of rock drakes. I think for their purpose they are exceptional creatures. sure they could use some love, but I love how you said this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...