Rock Drakes are too weak

TheCreep

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, NovaMagic said:

They're weak though if you have a lantern pet...

I thought rock drakes were meant as a transportation mount, not a combat mount.

For combat we have megalosaurus before they get nerfed

I strongly doubt that Megalosaurs are going to get nerfed. They are of extremely limited use on the other maps, and are really the ONLY dino to bring into the higher difficulty Rockwell fights, given that they blow the other 4 powerhouses out of the water. They aren't even that strong either - Rexes have more health, and more range/attack area. Only reason ppl think the Megalosaur's are strong are because there are no rexes, and for the other 4 powerful dinos of Aberration, none of them can be breed to perfection.

23 hours ago, Frogspoison said:

I strongly doubt that Megalosaurs are going to get nerfed. They are of extremely limited use on the other maps, and are really the ONLY dino to bring into the higher difficulty Rockwell fights, given that they blow the other 4 powerhouses out of the water. They aren't even that strong either - Rexes have more health, and more range/attack area. Only reason ppl think the Megalosaur's are strong are because there are no rexes, and for the other 4 powerful dinos of Aberration, none of them can be breed to perfection.

They have higher base damage than a rex

1 hour ago, NovaMagic said:

They have higher base damage than a rex

By quite a bit, too. 1025 base Health & 75 base Damage against 1100 base Health and 62 base Damage. Also compare 1.4 RPS (rate of fire) for a nighttime Megalo versus 1.2 RPS for a Rex, and it's a pretty clear win for the Megalo, as long as it's not got the daytime debuff (which appears to halve base damage and significantly reduce ROF)

• 3 months later...
On 12/28/2017 at 8:23 PM, TheCreep said:

So, my tribe and I have finally gotten access to Rock Drakes. We spent days doing the whole process; treading down to their birthing grounds, stealing eggs, hatching, and raising. So far, the drakes are way too weak to be useful, minus their abilities as a taxi.

1. They have no health.
  2. While their stamina regeneration is good, they have almost no stamina (gain ~30 per level)
    • Everything they do requires stamina (climbing, gliding, fighting, camo)
  3. They do almost no damage (scaling is terrible)
    • Even with 100% Imprinting
  4. Their attack speed is so insanely slow
  5. Their stats can't be improved via breeding
  6. Hatching & Raising them takes days (depending on multipliers)
  7. The passenger takes damage from attacks and can die, while the rider remains fine like any other mount
  8. They are almost weaker than wild rock drakes

Why is the fight between my 100% imprinted rock drake and a single wild rock drake so close? The rock drake is 'supposedly' the only equal to the reapers, but that is not even remotely true. As it stands, our Megalosaurus does at least 3x damage per hit and attack at least 2x faster, with easily 2-4x more health. Minus the rock drake's maneuverability and their eggs being used to tame the Basilisk, they're completely useless. Am I missing something here?

I'm not sure how many other tribes have progressed to this point, but is anyone else experiencing lack luster combat performance from their rock drakes?

Rockdrakes are like flying Rex’s the differences are Rex’s are close combat, rockdrakes are the snipers. my rockdrake currently has 20k hp 3k stam and 300 Melee (weak melee) but rock drakes are not meant for close combat they are stealth then dive bomb, iv dive bombed a rock Drake with 10k hp 5 times it died (he couldn’t get away with his 1500 stam), divebomb wild 150s once and they die instantly. I have tribe members with drakes 10k hp 1500 stam and 800 Melee and still more levels to pump (how many times would it take you to breed a Rex with 800 Melee) ?

On 29/12/2017 at 1:23 AM, TheCreep said:

So, my tribe and I have finally gotten access to Rock Drakes. We spent days doing the whole process; treading down to their birthing grounds, stealing eggs, hatching, and raising. So far, the drakes are way too weak to be useful, minus their abilities as a taxi.

1. They have no health.
  2. While their stamina regeneration is good, they have almost no stamina (gain ~30 per level)
  7. The passenger takes damage from attacks and can die, while the rider remains fine like any other mount

Why is the fight between my 100% imprinted rock drake and a single wild rock drake so close? The rock drake is 'supposedly' the only equal to the reapers, but that is not even remotely true. As it stands, our Megalosaurus does at least 3x damage per hit and attack at least 2x faster, with easily 2-4x more health. Minus the rock drake's maneuverability and their eggs being used to tame the Basilisk, they're completely useless. Am I missing something here?

I'm not sure how many other tribes have progressed to this point, but is anyone else experiencing lack luster combat performance from their rock drakes?

Look for better eggs and also try using an ascendant or mastercraft saddle... hunt the surface for loot drops and youll get a bp soon enough. My rock drakes are fine personally definitely think they could do with a faster attack speed though

I managed to get a Assendent BP for rockdrakes on a surface drop.. 

from that, a similar level reaper king is toast. so from a different standpoint Rockdrakes are OP and reapers SUCK!

considering I can even take down a wild reaper queen with a rock drake, there is no way you can say they are weak. I do have a MASSIVE issue with them, but that for a different day. cause a little lag makes it unable to glide.. and if your over the purple river, your minus a rock drake.  

12 hours ago, Yster said:

I managed to get a Assendent BP for rockdrakes on a surface drop.. 

from that, a similar level reaper king is toast. so from a different standpoint Rockdrakes are OP and reapers SUCK!

considering I can even take down a wild reaper queen with a rock drake, there is no way you can say they are weak. I do have a MASSIVE issue with them, but that for a different day. cause a little lag makes it unable to glide.. and if your over the purple river, your minus a rock drake.  

Bear in mind that theres different variant of Reaper King. The one that was birthed from a survivor's chest are way beyond the wild's league with massive stat jump from their usual stat. You won't find it in wild, but try and get a Reaper King with decent stat, and you see what I mean

Also Rock Drakes aren't weak. Maybe you have a screw loose somewhere around, thinking every dino should be OP. Unless you meant that they "being the wyvern of Aberration" means about getting the egg, escaping angry parents and raising the babies, I don't see any connection between either. 

Rock drakes feel very geared toward aberration. Good drakes with saddles can easily solo reapers and have free reign over the map. They are versatile well rounded mounts that allow the rider to shoot off the back for extra utility. They excel at mobility and are moderate at most other aspects. Even on other maps they can be useful but their usefulness is definitely diminished outside of aberration with addition of more niche creatures. 

I had one with 20k health and 2500 Stam. She did round 400 damage on most dinos. She was around through think and thin. Tamed 4 gigas and had been in some pretty close calls.  

So one trip out to the highlands of rag to chomp some Ovis, I had dragon lady following me on aggessive, I'm naked running around all noob like. 

She took off after a equuis, there was a roar and a ton of teeth clip into veiw from behind me..(as in my character was hidden from veiw for a sec) and a grunt. 

Instantly knew the situation has just went to defcon 5. Turn around and go yup! This is how it ends! CLASSIC!  So bolt off left me shoes behind and she went into action. I pulled her off aggressive and tried to get her to follow but watched as she was disemboweled wedged against a rock. 

Point of the story is she took 8-12 hits from a lvl 190 wild giga which was hitting her for 1200 or so befor she fell. Primitive saddle and all. They are by no means weak. They have their place and for me they are my Big Game Hunter mount. Gigas, allos, alphas, ocean critters minus jellies and squids.  No flying mount imo is more versatile than the drake. Sure it can't carry but it can do everything else and more.  Would be nice if cloak feature worked vs wild and everything but heavy and tek turrets.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2017 at 7:23 PM, TheCreep said:

1. They have no health.

1:  Health, on average, is about 10-20% less than a wyvern of the same level.  They don't have a TON of health, but they have enough.

2:  Stamina at 1500 is enough.  Average stamina is around 1200 for a decent level drake on hatch.

3:  Base damage is 60.  With a really good damage roll of ~400 pre-imprint, you'll be reaching 700%+ easily.  With the average damage roll of ~300%, you should be able to hit 500%+ with no problems while keeping the sweet spot 10k health and 1500 stamina.

4:  Yes.  They attack slowly, no argument here.

5:  No different from wyverns.  Deal with it?  It's luck of the draw.

6:  No different from literally any other creature in the game.  Archeopteryx, Carbonemys, Dilo, Dodo, Oviraptor, and Troodon are the only land dinos that take less than 1 full day to raise (not including the hatch time, which pushes a few of those past 24 hours).  Literally every other land dino in the game takes at least one full day with some of them taking literal weeks to raise.  Drakes take 88 hours, which isn't that bad.  Drakes are also tied with wyverns for the least attention required to raise in the whole game, but have the added benefit of having a food source that's absurdly trivial to acquire.  Go raise a giga and then try to complain about drake raising again...

7:  This isn't a problem specific to drakes.  Every multi-passenger dino allows the extra passengers to take damage.  I agree that this should be changed, but there's a benefit to drakes having this:  It makes taming a basilisk stupid easy.  Basilisks agro the passenger while the person on the drake keeps them from being bitten.  Passenger drops eggs to tame.

8:  Seeing as how my first drake (level 85) killed a 190 wild drake with trivial effort within its first 10 level ups, I'm going to go ahead and call BS on this.  Tame drakes are significantly stronger than their wild counterparts like almost every other dino in the game.  The only 2 creatures that you can say otherwise about are the giga and rock elemental.  One could try to make the claim that the reaper also is weaker than its wild counterpart due to the fact that tame reapers stats are based off queens, but with a health penalty and lesser damage reduction, but a tame reaper can still trash a wild reaper due to attack speed/preference.  A tame reaper king will demolish all of the wild reaper kings, as well.  Even the alpha stands no chance against a decent level tamed.  Of course, the wild kings will do a lot more damage than queens, but their health is puny.  This goes the same for the alpha, but the damage is significantly higher than even the other wild king variants.

If you're losing fights with wild drakes,  your possibilities are this:  You have a really low level drake, you aren't clicking the left mouse button enough, or you're coming across wild drakes with god tier melee or health rolls.  Rock drakes are by no means the only creatures taking on reapers.  Decent level megalos can handle them no problem.  High level spinos with good rolls can handle them no problem.  Even crabs can take on reapers if need be. Rock drakes are the most convenient, other than tame reapers.

I hatched 25 of them all at once and saw a wide variety of stat mixes.  I think if you hatch enough, you will find a good combo of stats.  Just hatching one is not going to guarantee you a sweet drake.  Also, finding a high lvl egg takes a little time.  It's best to steal the low eggs, eat them and check back at the nest in a couple minutes for it's replacement.  This is entirely possible to solo farm these eggs.  One method is to drop a couple high stat spinos into the area, steal an egg and then fly to your mated spino pair .  The drakes will transfer their attention right away to the spinos.  Rinse and repeat.  Just bring lots of meat down to give to your spinos for healing up.  I got decent saddles on my pair now and they really don't take that much damage from an hour or 2 of this.

• 1 month later...

While I do wish Drakes had the same base damage(Or higher) than a Wyvern, it certainly isn't needed. Right now, Drakes are probably one of, if not the, fastest creatures in the game. They absolutely blow Wyverns out of the water when it comes to speed, tanking, and distance travel. 

The only reason I have for the melee damage thing is that Wyverns have a ranged attack(Drake does too, but that costs element to use), and they can free fly. Drakes are almost exclusively limited to melee combat(Not counting Tek saddle or rider weapons) and they have a slower melee animation. Just kinda bothers me that a creature putting its whole neck and jaw into a bite is doing less damage than a creature that is simply nipping at its target.

Must be a troll post drakes are the fastest mount in the game by a landslide. You can grab every artifact on center except one without getting a scratch. Get a some what decent saddle and you can solo impregnate yourself half asleep. They can can’t go toe to toe with a good tamed megalosaurus true but tell me what can besides a giga I’ll wait. You can shoot while mounted. There are dozens of more reasons but I think the above are more than enough explaining why drakes are a must have mount.

• 1 month later...

Archived