Hello. I can wondering if a dino continued to starve even after woken up. I tried it a while ago with a raptor, but I need more confirmation. I know that if a dino gets KOd they don't despawn, but woudl they stop starving. This would also be really useful for high torpor drain tames/long herbi tames because we might be able to KO it once. Come back a couple hours later. And insta tame it without babysitting narcotics. I'd be grateful for any feedback.

• Volunteer Moderator
53 minutes ago, Proud said:

Just remember to put spikes around it if you aren't going to babysit. Lots of animals will gladly take the free meal.

Or put up a thatch fence. 

If the animal you are taming wakes up while you are away(either by accident or because you want it to), it could hurt or kill itself on the spikes, cause, when it wakes up, besides being hungry, it will still be damaged.

And, if it is a tame and your are nearby it(near enough for it set auto follow), it will try to run through said spikes to get to you.

• Volunteer Moderator
6 hours ago, MrDynamicMan said:

Hello. I can wondering if a dino continued to starve even after woken up. I tried it a while ago with a raptor, but I need more confirmation. I know that if a dino gets KOd they don't despawn, but woudl they stop starving. This would also be really useful for high torpor drain tames/long herbi tames because we might be able to KO it once. Come back a couple hours later. And insta tame it without babysitting narcotics. I'd be grateful for any feedback.

Yes, it will still be hungry after it wakes up, if you did not tame it.

You can use it just like you are suggesting.

It is also nice to be able to do that if the tame goes wrong(get damaged/fed wrong and effectiveness drops).  At least, when you knock it out again, you don't spend as much time on it.

14 hours ago, Jerryn said:

Yes, it will still be hungry after it wakes up, if you did not tame it.

You can use it just like you are suggesting.

It is also nice to be able to do that if the tame goes wrong(get damaged/fed wrong and effectiveness drops).  At least, when you knock it out again, you don't spend as much time on it.

Hmm. Something strange happened. I was afk and a tame woke up, when I got home a while later and re-KOd it had full hunger. Maybe if it goes into stasis it stops getting hungry?

• Volunteer Moderator
3 hours ago, MrDynamicMan said:

Hmm. Something strange happened. I was afk and a tame woke up, when I got home a while later and re-KOd it had full hunger. Maybe if it goes into stasis it stops getting hungry?

I have never run into this myself.  It might be possible that hungry restores over time or after stasis as you suggest.

I all my cases, I believe I was still with or near the tame when it woke, and after retranq it, it was still hungry.  In a few, I pretty certain I had even let the dino feed so that it would heal a bit, before putting it down again.

Now, if you leave food on the dino and it wakes up from Topor going to 0 before it finishes taming, it will definitely be close to full hunger.

Crap...I feel another set of experiments coming up.  Will have to grab a meat eater, go into god mode(don't want to die for science, even if it is not real), tranq it starve it, stim it, and monitor the hunger level right up to it waking and then tranq it and check the level again.  Then repeat, but this time feed it something(phiomia or para), retranq, and check it.  Then, at least one more time, but leave it for a long time, tranq it, and check it.

Good thing these are not real animals, or PETA would be all over me.  :D

15 minutes ago, Jerryn said:

I have never run into this myself.  It might be possible that hungry restores over time or after stasis as you suggest.

I all my cases, I believe I was still with or near the tame when it woke, and after retranq it, it was still hungry.  In a few, I pretty certain I had even let the dino feed so that it would heal a bit, before putting it down again.

Now, if you leave food on the dino and it wakes up from Topor going to 0 before it finishes taming, it will definitely be close to full hunger.

Crap...I feel another set of experiments coming up.  Will have to grab a meat eater, go into god mode(don't want to die for science, even if it is not real), tranq it starve it, stim it, and monitor the hunger level right up to it waking and then tranq it and check the level again.  Then repeat, but this time feed it something(phiomia or para), retranq, and check it.  Then, at least one more time, but leave it for a long time, tranq it, and check it.

Good thing these are not real animals, or PETA would be all over me.  :D

Hell, PETA will still be all over you. Remember that rat from dishonored?

I'd really like to see the results, but if you're on SP how will you test stasis? Fly to the other side of the island?

• Volunteer Moderator
2 hours ago, MrDynamicMan said:

Hell, PETA will still be all over you. Remember that rat from dishonored?

I'd really like to see the results, but if you're on SP how will you test stasis? Fly to the other side of the island?

I'll just test it on our regular server.  I can either spawn or pick up something like a carno and work with that.

For statis, I got a few fast birds, so I can just fly way, do a little recon(looking for another high level terror bird, which are surprisingly a lot of fun, at least un-nerfed), then come back later.

16 hours ago, Jerryn said:

I'll just test it on our regular server.  I can either spawn or pick up something like a carno and work with that.

For statis, I got a few fast birds, so I can just fly way, do a little recon(looking for another high level terror bird, which are surprisingly a lot of fun, at least un-nerfed), then come back later.

Terror birds are partularly pathetic post nerf though. :(

sounds good. Post when you have all the data!

Starve Taming is a pretty false tactic, to be honest.
Starve Taming takes just as much, if not more, narcotics than just feeding it right away - it also takes just as much, if not more, time.

If you starve out an Animal, let it wake up, then knock it out again - it's Hunger bar should be instantly replenished.
You'd also have to use up a lot of Tranquilizer Darts / Arrows to keep knocking things out without using any Narcotics, which will eventually reduce taming effectiveness as well.

27 minutes ago, Orion said:

Starve Taming is a pretty false tactic, to be honest.
Starve Taming takes just as much, if not more, narcotics than just feeding it right away - it also takes just as much, if not more, time.

If you starve out an Animal, let it wake up, then knock it out again - it's Hunger bar should be instantly replenished.
You'd also have to use up a lot of Tranquilizer Darts / Arrows to keep knocking things out without using any Narcotics, which will eventually reduce taming effectiveness as well.

I understand that starving is useless (unless gathering prime) but iraised this question based on a little testing i did with a raptor. A  tribemate KOd, forgot about it, and it woke up. An hour or two later i foundit and KOd it, qnd it had 100 food left.

Archived