Old Ark

OrisRas

Some may disagree, but anyone remember when Ark was first announced and everyone was super excited to actually play an open world dino game?!

As i like the new DLC and scorched earth, I feel Ark is more of a Syfi game now more than a dino game. I really enjoyed the orginal Ark (The Island) as i like Abberation, I just feel as if the game left it's orginal plan as the first open worl dino game and turned into just another syfi genre. I feel as if we'll never get the dino game we'd all like to have.

• Volunteer Moderator

If the game didn't turn out the way you think it would doesn't means the game left its original plan. SciFi aspect always been into their original design of the game. Here is an interview from June 2015 where they mention SciFi was part of their plan from the beginning:

Guest DJRone89
13 minutes ago, OrisRas said:

Some may disagree, but anyone remember when Ark was first announced and everyone was super excited to actually play an open world dino game?!

As i like the new DLC and scorched earth, I feel Ark is more of a Syfi game now more than a dino game. I really enjoyed the orginal Ark (The Island) as i like Abberation, I just feel as if the game left it's orginal plan as the first open worl dino game and turned into just another syfi genre. I feel as if we'll never get the dino game we'd all like to have.

Giant obelisks in the sky should have been the 2nd clue, the first being ‘ARK’ in the game title.

Guest DJRone89
Just now, invincibleqc said:

That and your character implant that you scratch the very first time you are spawning is a good indicator as well.

Sorry, that should have been 2nd, and the obelisks 3rd. The implants like wallpaper now, forget it’s there lol

As I had said when I first hear about the game Dinosaur is the word that sparked intrest. when I had heard about it there was no images released, no videos. When videos and images began to release I could see some syfi would be implimented, just not as far as say ravagers or basilisk (butchered that word). For the word ARK being in the title doesnt hint any syfi related topic... The word Ark isnt a fantasy word. The word Ark could be referred as a bend in a line, A flash of light and heat, a boat or ship. The implants and obelisks like I had said had not arose to the equation yet as I hadnt seen images or videos. I'd like to see WC go back and add new dinos and not so much as giant tenticles and fairy dust. Don't like my opinion, dont comment and say I'm wrong or they never had that motive. Just my thoughts and hopes on what they could do for a future DLC.

Guest DJRone89
2 hours ago, OrisRas said:

As I had said when I first hear about the game Dinosaur is the word that sparked intrest. when I had heard about it there was no images released, no videos. When videos and images began to release I could see some syfi would be implimented, just not as far as say ravagers or basilisk (butchered that word). For the word ARK being in the title doesnt hint any syfi related topic... The word Ark isnt a fantasy word. The word Ark could be referred as a bend in a line, A flash of light and heat, a boat or ship. The implants and obelisks like I had said had not arose to the equation yet as I hadnt seen images or videos. I'd like to see WC go back and add new dinos and not so much as giant tenticles and fairy dust. Don't like my opinion, dont comment and say I'm wrong or they never had that motive. Just my thoughts and hopes on what they could do for a future DLC.

Noah’s Ark.

4 hours ago, OrisRas said:

I very much agree. Sure, it might have been the plan all along, but the game is worse off for it (my opinion, of course). I could accept the bosses being fairy tale creatures, but I was really sad to see they included more fantasy creatures not limited to bosses when Scorched Earth was released. Now I have had to accept that ARK is not the game I thought it was going to be and have yet to hope for that game to exist in the future ;) - Hey! Maybe ARK 2? *crossing my fingers and hoping my heart out* (But sure, I enjoy ARK still, it's just not the amazing game I saw the potential for it to be).

I don't even care about 90% of the TEK stuff or the storyline to be honest. The pre TEK days were when I enjoyed the game the most before it started going stale and I wish we could have gotten a few more dinos, all with unique gimmicks instead of so many shared gimmicks and I definitely wish what is there had more polish to it.

I'm not sure why they would want to limit the overall game like that.  They have cast a large net that allows people to play as they like.

It is a simple matter for players to limit the selection of creatures and tech levels available if they wish to, while a much wider world of possibilities is available to the rest of the player base.

I'm not criticizing anyone's preferences here, far from it.  I'm saying that the game is designed from the ground up to give you the ability to pick and choose (or go in new directions completely) from a variety of genre to create the game that YOU want to play.  That wouldn't be an option if they had made the conscious decision to simply develop a dino simulator and leave it at that.

9 hours ago, DJRone89 said:

Sorry, that should have been 2nd, and the obelisks 3rd. The implants like wallpaper now, forget it’s there lol

4th clue should have been the mixing of creatures from different time periods, although maybe thats harks to thebArk clue. We've got Rex's running around with dire wolves, mammoths and humans. At the very least time travel might have been involved or 'aliens'. My money at the time when I started was on aliens or very veryadvanced human technology.

Loved the branch out into some of the fantasy stuff, although I kinda view it as sci fi more than fantasy in some ways, theres no magic. I mean I can ride a wyvern :D Love sci fi based stuff. However wasnt keen on Abberation at its announcement (not usually my cup of tea) but it grew on me and I love it now.

"It is a simple matter for players to limit the selection of creatures and tech levels available if they wish to, while a much wider world of possibilities is available to the rest of the player base. " -Ranger 1

Exactly.  I have over 3000 hours in ARK.  I am yet to ever face a "boss" battle or try to develop any TEK.  They hold no interest for me.  Maybe some day I will want to pursue that route, but I enjoy taming the dinos I need, building interesting enjoyable structures, and just flying around helping people when they need it.  That is what is so great about this game, it lets you find what you enjoy doing, and finding new ways to do it.

This thread illustrates the problem with Early Access. Folks asserting that they want the "Old Ark" back sounds more like, "I want back the framework of Ark that I played in Early Access, but I want that framework to include my own preconceived notions of how the game was going to be built." It's precisely why I feel open-to-public paid early access - while great for funding indie games - is generally a bad idea for a game in the long run.

Guest DJRone89
1 minute ago, LouSpowells said:

This thread illustrates the problem with Early Access. Folks asserting that they want the "Old Ark" back sounds more like, "I want back the framework of Ark that I played in Early Access, but I want that framework to include my own preconceived notions of how the game was going to be built." It's precisely why I feel open-to-public paid early access - while great for funding indie games - is generally a bad idea for a game in the long run.

What first attracted you to buy this game?

For me, it was the first real sandbox / open world survival game on Xbox, and I liked the idea that dinosaurs roamed the land. So I saw this as a survival game with dinosaurs.

Once you got to grips with the game, it should have been evidently clear that alien/advanced technology was involved so the sci-fi approach shouldn’t have come such a suprise to anyone.

13 minutes ago, DJRone89 said:

What first attracted you to buy this game?

For me, it was the first real sandbox / open world survival game on Xbox, and I liked the idea that dinosaurs roamed the land. So I saw this as a survival game with dinosaurs.

Once you got to grips with the game, it should have been evidently clear that alien/advanced technology was involved so the sci-fi approach shouldn’t have come such a suprise to anyone.

Totally agree with the last part there. Dinosaurs is what initially attracted most people to this game. (The 8 year old me flipped his effin lid the moment I heard about it.) Then once I got the game, the first thing I saw when I woke up was some weird technology/tracker implanted into my wrist. Then I saw these massive futuristic structures that look like some form of unknown (\*ALIENS*/) beacons pointing to the sky with a light beam directing you to a high-tech looking big red button surrounded by artificial light. Then I got eaten by a dude on a raptor.

I never knew the direction the game was going for sure, but from literally day one it was made VERY clear that sci-fi would play a role.

I kinda see Ark's main goal as being a good foundation for modding and creating new games, with the vanilla game almost being a secondary thing that has to be there (For PC of course, and even there the dev kit could use a lot of work). If you strictly want an immersive dinosaur game you can create a mod for that, but you also have the toys to play with if you want to mash it up with elements from the fantasy or sci-fi genres.

I think it was well communicated from the beginning what the vision for the game was. They said pretty early they will have laser guns on dinos. Well we got plasma. ^^

I think the game in it's current state, especially on Aberration, is the most fun we ever had with it.

However i can understand if one wants a no sci-fi version of it. And for them would be primitive plus, if it wouldn't be a total mess that never gets fixed. Other than that, the game is highly configurable to your liking.

On 12/27/2017 at 2:02 AM, OrisRas said:

I mean you are wrong. Incredibly wrong. You're mad about your own misconception.

Archived