Would you Like to see PC mods on Console(Xboxone/Ps4)???

CrackerJackx13

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd love to see mods available for console.  Classic flyers and S+ at the top of my list.  Even their equivalent options in the game settings would be a welcome addition.  To me anything else is just bonus content and a welcome addition.  I'd love to have a chance to mess around with pugnacia or annunaki genesis on console and would happily pay for a mod pack season pass.  I think the more pressing reality is it would take a sizable investment from wild card to get this service up and running for consoles including development for the console specific software, getting licensing passed with sony and microsoft, etc.  To do so would require an investment from the player base leaving the true question being, who would be willing to pay for a mod pack season pass?  I'm in if it comes to be a thing.  

Players would also have to realize that not all mods will work well together regardless of console or pc base.  Game file corruption is a very real possibility if it's done this way which may require scrapping and reinstalling the game losing progress.  Mods are players choice and wild card can't be held responsible for saved files lost this way, it was our choice to modify the game in the first place.  Criticizing them for such is not beneficial however having information available such as don't combine these 2 mods is good knowledge to have out there.   

2 hours ago, CptCannabis said:

Why would anyone want mods for console lol look at primitive plus on xbox,doesn't seem like it gets updated and supported so why add something else that'll be ignored by the devs.

Ark mods in general are pretty much ignored by the devs because they don't make them. Primitive plus updates have been a bit of a disappointment in the eyes of many, but that's not the type of mod people are asking for on console. The mods the OP and everyone else are talking about have little-to-nothing to do with Wildcard devs in pretty much all cases. 

Mods are community-created and maintained by the mod creator. There are plenty of instances where modmakers abandon updating their mods, but it's on the person adding to their mod to the server to ensure the mods are compatible and functioning correctly. If a mod isn't working correctly the player can attempt to notify the creator requesting an update, but if the mod makers don't do it, that's their decision and Wildcard has nothing to do with it. 

On PC this works out great because Steam is totally cool with the idea of mods in games. Microsoft and Sony, on the other hand, maintain strict control over what is/can be added to the game. This is understandable considering their reputation and the paths required to gain their approval before pushing out changes to game. As fun as mods are to create and use, it would be unbelievably painstaking for Ark mods to be implemented into consoles, solely based on the process required for updating/changing any part of the game. The MS/Sony certification processes do, in most cases, wonders in ensuring reliable and high quality gaming experiences. The downside is that experimental and fun things made by players are vastly less likely to ever see the light of day on a console.

Generally, Sony and Microsoft simply don't want that to happen...and they have pretty good reason considering all the out of date, broken, and/or poorly created mods out there. 

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 4:05 PM, CrackerJackx13 said:

SO skyrim and Fallout 4 have a Mod Marketplace...thats on xbox....#fact.

and its different than what mods are and how they work for steam workshop etc....you have to build it what skyrim and fallout did and bring it in house and make it part of the game base not something you can download via server and match on xbox....plus those games are easy to mod as well because they are single player games and you don't need  a server match for it to work.  There is a lot and I mean a lot of work WC would need to do to get MS and them to play ball to get it to work that is why they build the mods into the base game, its a cost savings.  While I would love to see mods, MS won't play nice in that reguards as well as someone who has played with mods on PC, I can say that the base game and dev kit needs to be stable and better updates.  Otherwise, you would wake up and your base be gone due to a mismatch update from a mod or corrupt file install.  There is a lot to work with.  #fact

3 hours ago, ehuhoser said:

and its different than what mods are and how they work for steam workshop etc....you have to build it what skyrim and fallout did and bring it in house and make it part of the game base not something you can download via server and match on xbox....plus those games are easy to mod as well because they are single player games and you don't need  a server match for it to work.  There is a lot and I mean a lot of work WC would need to do to get MS and them to play ball to get it to work that is why they build the mods into the base game, its a cost savings.  While I would love to see mods, MS won't play nice in that reguards as well as someone who has played with mods on PC, I can say that the base game and dev kit needs to be stable and better updates.  Otherwise, you would wake up and your base be gone due to a mismatch update from a mod or corrupt file install.  There is a lot to work with.  #fact

so what your saying it mite be hard to do, but it within the realm of possbilitys that is if they want to extend the shelf life of a game admired by so many.

Guest DJRone89

Barring my previous comments on this thread that were made in ignorance, the only mods on console I’d like to see are for QoL.

The likelihood of us seeing something outside of the sponsored mods is pretty much zero.

What would I like to see? Well, considering I play exclusively on unofficials; the stack mod, reusable grapple hooks, reusable parachutes, reusable spears etc. Relatively small mods of that nature.

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 4:04 PM, CrackerJackx13 said:

so what your saying it mite be hard to do, but it within the realm of possbilitys that is if they want to extend the shelf life of a game admired by so many.

Well yeah basically, but it would require them to do a number of things like bring all mods into their own house and control them, hire some QnA for the mods, sort of what they are doing for the mod program so technically they are doing this already in a round about way.  Just not all mods.  However that is the only way to get around MS and their crusade to keep money and control themselves.

But the cost of doing this is really high and thus while its a possibility (cuz with money anything is possible :)), its a really hard one to sell for return of investment ROI etc.  For multiplayer and mods to coexist, you need a ton of resources, cash to burn, and an act of a higher being that will allow the console gods to work well together.

What I would like to see more or less server side implementations is stacking mod as well, a way to set up basics serverside so that everyone can dicate what they want.

Archived