(WIP)The Center - Map

evilmrfrank

• Wildcard Staff

Here is a custom map I've been working on for Ark that I'll be entering into the contest.  Once the map is finished it will consist of the current chinese mountain/jungle biomes, ruin areas, lava/mordor biome, massive tropical islands, as well as the soon to come snow biome, grasslands, swamp biome, and the secret "Center" area that will be coming in a couple of weeks.  The plan is to release a new update once every Thursday.  These updates starting off will be an entirely new biome until all of the biomes are finished.  Once the biomes are finished I will go back to existing areas and refine them considerably, add caves, and fill out the oceans.  Hoping to have the map mostly finished by the contest deadline although I do plan to continue to work on the map after the contest is over!

You can download the map and fine screenshots for the level at the workshop page located here - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=614734500

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, evilmrfrank said:

Glad you guys like it :)

I don't have any current plans to expand the map.  For the most part it is finished atm I am just improving what is there, optimizing, polishing, bug fixing, balancing, etc...  

dunno but i been trying to contact u about getting the png or jpg of the center map so the creator of ARK commander can add ur map to his app he has a thread here 

• Wildcard Staff
On 4/6/2016 at 3:41 PM, iSpeZz said:

dunno but i been trying to contact u about getting the png or jpg of the center map so the creator of ARK commander can add ur map to his app he has a thread here 

If you are talking about just the players in game map then he can find it under the screenshots on the steam workshop page :)

Toni - Not sure what you mean?

I am utterly in love with this map. Each time you update it, it gets better. The sea scorpions farce was a little alarming but didn't detract at all honestly.  I'm utterly enchanted by undersea living and honestly if you ever decided to tinker further with the map wanting to add more 'livable space' for bases to be built, more underwater domes would be fantastic. Ever server I visit they are the most prized  corners!

• Wildcard Staff

Glad you like it :)  The two new water dinos will be added back into the next update along with some major fixes for losing dinos (Thanks to Drake) and several other issues and balancing changes :)  I do hope to expand on the underwater areas at some point for sure!  Right now I'm going to be focusing on polishing and making the map as stable as possible!

On 7.4.2016 at 11:12 PM, evilmrfrank said:

Toni - Not sure what you mean?

Try to download the mod with only steamcmd, then you know what i mean :)

Steam cmd is downloading the mod with the command

steamcmd.exe +login username password +force_install_dir "C:\ark" +workshop_download_item <gameID> <modID> +quit

But this only download it to \steamapps\workshop\content\346110\ it does not uncompress and move it to the Mods folder of the server.

The downloaded content is compressed with zlib.

Do you have the possibility to upload your mod builds uncompressed? Or is this compression automatically done by the devkit?

@evilmrfrank Is there a land based way out of the center of the world? All I have found are the holes you fall in from and can fly back out through, I even went all the way up the ramped cave to the top most point, but that is a dead end, and again can only be flown out of...

I am currently stuck in there with the Dinos I have tamed, and have resorted to building in the top most cave spot, as I do not want to leave my dinos behind.

We've recently set this map up on our second server, and we're of two minds of it so far, for two reasons:

1. Weird teleporting issues (fixed last night I believe) have been incredibly frustrating.
  2. We have a lot of really weird clipping issues all over the place. I think that some of this might have been fixed, but there's nothing more terrifying than walking along invisible cliff ledges because you're underneath the texture for the rock you're standing on.

Hopefully these will be fixed at some point, as the map seems quite enjoyable to play on other than these issues.

• Wildcard Staff

Devestatio - There is currently no land path into the center of the earth.  Some things in the map are limited in these ways to separate them from the rest of the map, same with the actual center area being air only.

Davidturner - Both of these issues should have been fixed in the most recent updates to the map :)  If there are any other issues definitely let me know and I'll get on them right away!

6 hours ago, evilmrfrank said:

Both of these issues should have been fixed in the most recent updates to the map :)  If there are any other issues definitely let me know and I'll get on them right away!

The teleporting issue definitely seems to be fixed, and the clipping issues are vastly improved, but not entirely resolved. I've noticed a few instances of it remaining on the northern tropical island, and a few other people have mentioned a few small issues elsewhere. I'll try and collect screenshots of them for you when I'm on the server today, along with any other details that might be useful for you.

Archived