When are the changes for Alpha Raptors going to occur?

ChuckNorrisTheOrginal

I have been playing on an official pvp server for a couple of weeks now and finally established a strong base made out of metal with stone dino gates around it with wooden spikes.  The area around my base is relatively safe from when I first moved in.  However, I recently started spending more time taming dinos but now the Alpha raptors are leaving the beach and going into my base to kill all my tames.  I lost about 15 tames last night and after taming another 5 dinos an alpha raptor showed up,  broke into my base, and killed all my tames again.  I don't mind the alpha raptors but they seem to be excessive. For a new player they can be very discouraging especially after working hard to finally establish a safe zone only to find out all that hard work was for nothing.  I strongly suggest the devs limit the noob area of the island to noob dinos.  If anyone has an easy method for dealing with alphas and keeping tamed pets safe please let me know.

Thanks,

Chuck The Original

5 hours ago, ChuckNorrisTheOrginal said:

If anyone has an easy method for dealing with alphas and keeping tamed pets safe please let me know.

live on a herbivore island.

5 hours ago, ChuckNorrisTheOrginal said:

a new player
after working hard to finally establish a safe zone

I have a hunch that "new players" such as yourself might have a tendency to overestimate the safety of their base. Especially if it has been built with stone gates.

1 hour ago, ChuckNorrisTheOrginal said:

I have been playing on an official pvp server for a couple of weeks now and finally established a strong base made out of metal with stone dino gates around it with wooden spikes.  The area around my base is relatively safe from when I first moved in.  However, I recently started spending more time taming dinos but now the Alpha raptors are leaving the beach and going into my base to kill all my tames.  I lost about 15 tames last night and after taming another 5 dinos an alpha raptor showed up,  broke into my base, and killed all my tames again.  I don't mind the alpha raptors but they seem to be excessive. For a new player they can be very discouraging especially after working hard to finally establish a safe zone only to find out all that hard work was for nothing.  I strongly suggest the devs limit the noob area of the island to noob dinos.  If anyone has an easy method for dealing with alphas and keeping tamed pets safe please let me know.

Thanks,

Chuck The Original

I am honestly shocked

Shocked that the alpha raptor didnt immediately run away at the sight of you.

That said, maybe you should box in your dinos with a roof. If you are on pvp that helps vs players so they dont snipe your tames too

2 hours ago, Thorium said:

Actually you are enjoying the alpha change. It's not long ago that they dramatically increased the alpha spawns on Island. You could go to Ragnarok, much less alpha spawns.

So you are saying the game designers increased the alpha spawns on the Island in order to drive players to buy Ragnarok where it is safer?

I'm going to try and make a better pen for the tames that is entirely enclosed.  I think the raptor is able to see the tames through the cracks of the gate wall.  How does vision work in this game?  Not sure if the raptors can see through walls or what.  I know those snakes in the swamps can aggro me from very far away.  Before I had the tames I'd log out within my gate walls inside a metal building and never had any issues with the Alphas leaving the beach to attack me while off line.  Prehaps the alphas have a higher aggro response to tames as opposed to player because I have been in the same location outside within the gated walls and the alphas never left the beach to come and attack.  

Guest DJRone89
2 hours ago, ChuckNorrisTheOrginal said:

So you are saying the game designers increased the alpha spawns on the Island in order to drive players to buy Ragnarok where it is safer?

I'm going to try and make a better pen for the tames that is entirely enclosed.  I think the raptor is able to see the tames through the cracks of the gate wall.  How does vision work in this game?  Not sure if the raptors can see through walls or what.  I know those snakes in the swamps can aggro me from very far away.  Before I had the tames I'd log out within my gate walls inside a metal building and never had any issues with the Alphas leaving the beach to attack me while off line.  Prehaps the alphas have a higher aggro response to tames as opposed to player because I have been in the same location outside within the gated walls and the alphas never left the beach to come and attack.  

Ragnarok is a free DLC map (sponsored mod) and 3-4 times larger than The Island, so alphas are more spread out. They are however, less easier to spot because they only spawn near/around the mountains on The Island where as there isn’t a specific sort of landscape that the alphas on Ragnarok spawn on.

3 hours ago, ChuckNorrisTheOrginal said:

Basically, direct line of site aggroes them. Or shooting them. So they can see through the crack, you could maybe cover that up by putting a fence foundation in front of it parallel to the wall and placing a 4 high wall on top of that. Sound stop them seeing you.

same think happened to me when I first started playing

I built what i considered to be a strong base and then an alpha raptor came along and wiped 3/4 of my base out like it was nothing i had to log off and hope it had moved on when i came back.  I used to live in fear of them

its all part of the learning process  u need an out perimeter of walls, wooden spike wont cut it unfortunately

3 hours ago, DJRone89 said:

They are however, less easier to spot because they only spawn near/around the mountains on The Island where as there isn’t a specific sort of landscape that the alphas on Ragnarok spawn on.

This isn't the case anymore. Alphas spawn pretty much everywhere. For example you often find them near red obelisk, there are no mountains.

Guest DJRone89
3 minutes ago, Thorium said:

This isn't the case anymore. Alphas spawn pretty much everywhere. For example you often find them near red obelisk, there are no mountains.

Anywhere you find a creature, has a chance to spawn it’s alpha version. Yes they may have increased the spawns more evenly around the map but you are still more likely to find them around the mountains and surrounding areas because of their non alpha counterparts common spawn points.

The safest places to build PvE wise is where the predators are small so it’s usually a alpha raptor at worse case.

14 minutes ago, DJRone89 said:

Anywhere you find a creature, has a chance to spawn it’s alpha version. Yes they may have increased the spawns more evenly around the map but you are still more likely to find them around the mountains and surrounding areas because of their non alpha counterparts common spawn points.

The safest places to build PvE wise is where the predators are small so it’s usually a alpha raptor at worse case.

I can't say I agree mate, since the most common place to see Alpha dinos on my server is the river, no mountains to be had. In fact the nearest two mountains to me are usually bereft of Alphas. But the river and the beach have a plethora of Alpha raptors, rex, and carnos.

Guest DJRone89
2 hours ago, Glerian said:

I can't say I agree mate, since the most common place to see Alpha dinos on my server is the river, no mountains to be had. In fact the nearest two mountains to me are usually bereft of Alphas. But the river and the beach have a plethora of Alpha raptors, rex, and carnos.

I see the mountains as a focal point but you usually witness the alphas around the base or in/around the rivers as you’ve said.

3 hours ago, Rhythm said:

What I do before I'm able to kill alphas is hop on a pteranodon, and lure them over a cliff (with spikes at bottom if you want to loot them) or into the ocean depending on what is near enough.

Lol, that is caveman style right there.  I might give it a try later on, I just finally tamed my first pteranodon.

I think the alphas may have the ability to hear my tames in the gated area.  I had a bunch of dodos jammed in a tiny enclosed wood hut and every time I log in there is usually a dino of some sort on the other side of this particular gate.  This leads me to believe the alphas and other predator dinos can hear my tames and aggro even though they cant see them.  Last time an Alpha raptor was jammed between a rock and my gate next to the dodo hut.  I moved most of my dinos behind my main structure of my base farthest from the beach and haven't had any recent problems with the Alphas.  

I'm probably going to build a perimeter in the coming days around my main keep, so hopefully that will work out.  I was actually thinking about setting up a little village surrounding my main keep with metal houses to rent to the local noobs for metal or wood etc.  A lot of the players on my server don't have too much in terms of tech,  I think I have seen maybe 2-3 metal buildings.

On 12/24/2017 at 5:22 PM, ChuckNorrisTheOrginal said:

For a new player they can be very discouraging especially after working hard to finally establish a safe zone only to find out all that hard work was for nothing.

Yeah, there are lots of things about this game that can be frustrating for a new player, especially if you're playing solo and trying to learn everything without the benefit of having friends or tribemates.

And to make things worse, the building mechanics are pretty awful for a game of this quality, it's such a good game they should have had much better building mechanics right from the beginning of the game. But... they don't. As a result, building a good base can be much more time consuming than it should be, and it's harder to build a safe base than it should be. You definitely want to build a compound that is completely and securely enclosed so that the alpha raptors (and any other threatening predators that happen to wander nearby) can't see your dinos - simply seeing them is enough to cause predators to want to break into your base.

You need to practice putting in extra pieces when you build things, even if the extra pieces are not snapping to your main building, to prevent line-of-sight problems, and you need to be sure that your walls are tall enough that potential attackers can't see into your compound. Sometimes this means placing an extra foundation to cover up a hole, sometimes is means building a second layer of wall in strategic spots so that it covers up gaps in your main wall, whatever method you use, your goal is to prevent potential attackers from getting close to your wall and seeing stuff inside your base. You also want your walls to be at least 4 tiles high (which is the height of a dino gate) so that anything the height of a Rex or smaller can't see over the walls.

The basic rule in ARK is that if your base looks safe, it's probably not, and if it looks super-safe, then maybe it's safe enough.

The did it to make it harder as ark is pretty easy to survive once you get the basics sorted. It's a survival game and it should be hard to survive when you are new.

On 12/24/2017 at 4:22 PM, ChuckNorrisTheOrginal said:

Thanks,

Chuck The Original

Had a player on a former server that had that happen. She wanted a challenge so she moved just a bit up north of me on The Island, but instead she got rekt over and over and over by alpha raptors, carnos and rexes. It really crushed her dreams of having fun in a new game. We finally helped her move elsewhere but she was very disappointed by that experience and stopped playing soon after. 

So, gj not doing a good job with a new player there WC. Your devs ever even play any games with a beginning survival aspect before? Fallout, any MMO ever?

For advice, metal spike walls all around your base until you can get to metal. Maybe put ceilings above them and put more walls up higher for rexes? (haven't tried that but it sounds effective). Also keeping your dinos way away from the walls is effective at not drawing aggro, or putting doeds in small pens surrounded by metal spike walls outside of your base to draw that aggro. Doeds don't die to alphas I believe, so that might be an effective solution. 

18 minutes ago, CaptainRaa said:
On 12/24/2017 at 10:57 PM, ChuckNorrisTheOrginal said:

The did it to make it harder as ark is pretty easy to survive once you get the basics sorted. It's a survival game and it should be hard to survive when you are new.

How is being wrecked by a killing machine you can't stop "harder"? Hard is something you can overcome if you work at it. Alphas are totally over the top - I had to help rescue a veteran player's base from a double rex alpha spawn recently, and his dinos were kickbutt. A player that hasn't gotten to metal yet is just alpha chow. 

Just like a noob player on the beach is raptor chow when those come out. Another misguided perception that a murder machine against a stone pick is "hard" and therefore more fun lol. 

4 minutes ago, Milsurp said:

So, gj not doing a good job with a new player there WC. Your devs ever even play any games with a beginning survival aspect before? Fallout, any MMO ever?

Good job making a survival game hard to survive? Well yea...that's exactly what they should have done. It's a survival game...not a weekend-at-a-day-spa game.It's exactly what they wanted to do. If your friend was looking for easy survival, they could just as easily go play Minecraft or Roblox...or at very least not build in the places that are specifically described as being harder.

10 minutes ago, Milsurp said:

How is being wrecked by a killing machine you can't stop "harder"? Hard is something you can overcome if you work at it. Alphas are totally over the top - I had to help rescue a veteran player's base from a double rex alpha spawn recently, and his dinos were kickbutt. A player that hasn't gotten to metal yet is just alpha chow. 

I've stopped literally hundreds (if not over 1k) of Alphas (raptors, carnos, rexes, mosas, tusos, sharks), and ALL of them are easy to overcome once you know what you're doing and have the tools required. You're not supposed to be able to beat them with stone tools. Frankly...if you have not yet left the stone age, when you confront an alpha or don't run when it confronts you, then becoming alpha chow is EXACTLY what you're supposed to do.

Just like a noob player on the beach is raptor chow when those come out. Another misguided perception that a murder machine against a stone pick is "hard" and therefore more fun lol. 
I've played 3k hours and started over many times in a lot of spots and apart from early on alphas have alway become prey for me. On 2x you can tame a mid lvl t Rex on the side of a mountain with a crossbow and a ptera and leave him in your base on neutral and he will take care of raptors. I hunted alpha raptors and killed them with high lvl pteras so I could get the loot. And just kite the rexes and Carnos away. Also build on cliffs not on low flat. It's really not that hard. Sure you will take some knocks but my base is full of alpha Rex trophies. You guys need to harden up. [emoji38]

I've played 3k hours and started over many times in a lot of spots and apart from early on alphas have alway become prey for me. On 2x you can tame a mid lvl t Rex on the side of a mountain with a crossbow and a ptera and leave him in your base on neutral and he will take care of raptors. I hunted alpha raptors and killed them with high lvl pteras so I could get the loot. And just kite the rexes and Carnos away. Also build on cliffs not on low flat. It's really not that hard. Sure you will take some knocks but my base is full of alpha Rex trophies. You guys need to harden up. [emoji38]
Oh and none of my base is metal

Archived