Bulbdog vs Shinehorn vs Glowtail

EssentialFrenzy

Jokes aside, the only light pet I noticed that can attack while on your shoulder is the Featherlight (6dmg with +200%). It also flies, which can be useful sometimes, and lies eggs for its own (yet bugged) kibble. And you can feed him with raw meat (IIRC the other 3 only eat berries)

But if you mean SOMETHING noticeable, no. All lantern pets glow, have an emote to turn on/off, can autoenable while full charged and spot wild max levels and enemy players

Oh, that's why I'm so confused. I haven't even heard of the featherlight yet. I've been trying to explore to discover a few things on my own in this dlc, but that's cool to know that there is another lantern creature out there. I'm kind of surprised that they added so many. Thanks for your help.

Featherlight: Highest Range, 2nd Highest regen, 2nd lowest or lowest capacity

Bulbdog: Highest capacity, lowest regen, lowest or 2nd lowest for range

Glowtail: Highest regen, 2nd highest range, lowest or 2nd lowest capacity

Shinehorn: 2nd Highest capacity, 2 lowest regen, lowest or 2nd lowest range

These are only what I have noticed from taming them. In my opinion I like the featherlight the most because its range is awesome and you can get its capacity to about 1k which with its regen fills in around 15 seconds.

• 2 months later...

Bulbdogs are my favorite just because they are fat. :P   The trick is finding a good high level breeding pair. In the end, they all do the same thing so just adjust stats accordingly.

Plus, I have a bulbdog with 2 kill steals on Reaper Queens :P  Little bugger. Avoid this by putting them on passive hehe.

Shinehorns win for annoyance factor in their alerts. Man, that high pitched baaaaaaaa  is grating

- Seem to have a good range

- look funny with a bulb dog mask :P

Featherlights win for annoyance in following - a little tricky if you want to position them. Solution: pick up, look up and throw. 

-  I like their natural regen which I think is just as important as capacity

- They win for best sounds. Get a bunch for kibble eggs.

Glowtails are the most chill in noises, almost quiet. Some will like. Again, get a bunch for kibble eggs. 

• 2 months later...

Just posting in here that high amounts of regen makes Capacity a completely useless stat. Charge pets regen is always on, so around 2.5k regen, Capacity may as well be 1 (or 100 as the case may be). Even at 1.5k regen, the amount of charge depletion is so slow that it takes around 5 minutes to deplete 100 points.

The Glowtail has the highest regen and second highest charge radius - 10% more wild baseline regen, 17.5% more regen lvl scaling, and 5% more domesticated regen scaling then the Featherlight.

A Glowtail with 40 points into Regen (Decent shots of getting it within 40 high-lvl glowtails) only need 10 lvl ups to ensure infinite charge!

Another fun tidbit - Glowtails get MORE range per wild lvl, although only slightly less range per domesticated lvl. While this creates a bunch of VERY odd breakpoints in which the Glowtail/Featherlight overtake each other in melee depending on the wild/tamed lvls in melee, overall, Glowtails actually beat Featherlights in terms of range in the "mid-lvls" (Glowtail gives better range starting from ~20 points in range on tame, to ~95 points in range on tame.)

So for all practical purposes, Glowtail has the best stats for a charge pet - You need less points to get high regen, AND you get better range and the lvls in which it actually matters.

But lets go for other consideration purposes.

Bulbdog - Lowest regen and lowest range. However, Bulbdogs have more health (21% more health over the other 3, making them tankier), and more weight (20% more weight then the Shinehorn, almost double the weight of the Glowtail and Featherlight, allowing you to more easily use it as an extra backpack). Also can breathe underwater.

Shinehorn - While it's range is the 3rd lowest, the difference between the other 2 isn't that much. It's charge regen is the exact same as the Featherlight. A decent jack-of-all trades, and can carry a good bit more then the Glowtail and Featherlight. Also, it's the ONLY one of the 3 that eats berries, so it's easier to feed and raise.

Featherlight - Can fly. Are fast.

Glowtail - Best usable charge stats - You likely aren't going to stick with a low-charge range pet after a few breeding sessions, and it's nearly impossible to get the skyrocketingly-high range stats needed for the Featherlight to pass the Glowtail. However, the Glowtail is the HARDEST of the 3 to raise - You can collect mushrooms for the other 3 dinos to raise the babies ez, but baby Glowtails pass out if you try to feed them ascerbic shrooms.

So, really, it's up to you on what you REALLY want. Bulbdogs are much more likely to survive basilisk attacks and can carry alot. Featherlights have the excellent utility their flying gives them. Shinehorns can be fed and breed easily. Glowtails have the best charge stats. Bulbdogs are also useful on the Center/Ragnarok, which have deep, dark waters.

On 5/8/2018 at 7:22 PM, z0mbiebabykiller said:

Its much easier to raise baby light pets on their preferred mushroom types instead of having them rip up meat or berries. Just need to raise them in a separate building than normal dinos 

The issue here is the glowtail. I fed ascerbic shroom to a baby, and its torpidity went up

On 5/8/2018 at 2:44 PM, Frogspoison said:

Just posting in here that high amounts of regen makes Capacity a completely useless stat. Charge pets regen is always on, so around 2.5k regen, Capacity may as well be 1 (or 100 as the case may be). Even at 1.5k regen, the amount of charge depletion is so slow that it takes around 5 minutes to deplete 100 points.

The Glowtail has the highest regen and second highest charge radius - 10% more wild baseline regen, 17.5% more regen lvl scaling, and 5% more domesticated regen scaling then the Featherlight.

A Glowtail with 40 points into Regen (Decent shots of getting it within 40 high-lvl glowtails) only need 10 lvl ups to ensure infinite charge!

Another fun tidbit - Glowtails get MORE range per wild lvl, although only slightly less range per domesticated lvl. While this creates a bunch of VERY odd breakpoints in which the Glowtail/Featherlight overtake each other in melee depending on the wild/tamed lvls in melee, overall, Glowtails actually beat Featherlights in terms of range in the "mid-lvls" (Glowtail gives better range starting from ~20 points in range on tame, to ~95 points in range on tame.)

So for all practical purposes, Glowtail has the best stats for a charge pet - You need less points to get high regen, AND you get better range and the lvls in which it actually matters.

But lets go for other consideration purposes.

Bulbdog - Lowest regen and lowest range. However, Bulbdogs have more health (21% more health over the other 3, making them tankier), and more weight (20% more weight then the Shinehorn, almost double the weight of the Glowtail and Featherlight, allowing you to more easily use it as an extra backpack). Also can breathe underwater.

Shinehorn - While it's range is the 3rd lowest, the difference between the other 2 isn't that much. It's charge regen is the exact same as the Featherlight. A decent jack-of-all trades, and can carry a good bit more then the Glowtail and Featherlight. Also, it's the ONLY one of the 3 that eats berries, so it's easier to feed and raise.

Featherlight - Can fly. Are fast.

Glowtail - Best usable charge stats - You likely aren't going to stick with a low-charge range pet after a few breeding sessions, and it's nearly impossible to get the skyrocketingly-high range stats needed for the Featherlight to pass the Glowtail. However, the Glowtail is the HARDEST of the 3 to raise - You can collect mushrooms for the other 3 dinos to raise the babies ez, but baby Glowtails pass out if you try to feed them ascerbic shrooms.

So, really, it's up to you on what you REALLY want. Bulbdogs are much more likely to survive basilisk attacks and can carry alot. Featherlights have the excellent utility their flying gives them. Shinehorns can be fed and breed easily. Glowtails have the best charge stats. Bulbdogs are also useful on the Center/Ragnarok, which have deep, dark waters.

I had bulbdogs eating berries, even as babies, besides meat. So I don't see how Shinehorns are the only light pet species that eats berries. Featherlight are fast, but incredibly frail... so much one time I had to get someone's bulb off the pit, I had to get the featherlight to wear a flak/riot helmet to withstand at least one bite from a level 100 wild drake.
tl;dr:
Shinehorn - lowest range, but mainly jack of all trade

Bulbdog - highest Carrying and Charge capcity

Featherlight - highest Charge range

Glowtail - highest Charge regen

On 5/9/2018 at 10:10 PM, Vaculity said:

The issue here is the glowtail. I fed ascerbic shroom to a baby, and its torpidity went up

I had bulbdogs eating berries, even as babies, besides meat. So I don't see how Shinehorns are the only light pet species that eats berries. Featherlight are fast, but incredibly frail... so much one time I had to get someone's bulb off the pit, I had to get the featherlight to wear a flak/riot helmet to withstand at least one bite from a level 100 wild drake.
tl;dr:
Shinehorn - lowest range, but mainly jack of all trade

Bulbdog - highest Carrying and Charge capcity

Featherlight - highest Charge range

Glowtail - highest Charge regen

Bulb dogs are the only ominivore Dino in aberration 

Archived