Windows 10 / Play Anywhere - Closes on Start Up

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is not about this topic but I’ve got an idea about something you could do for the dlc extinction. Instead of having canteens water bottles and skins you could have a uncommon chance to find a wat

If you search for ARK in Add or Remove Programs, then select 'Advanced,' you'll see a list of add-ons. Just select one of them, and hit uninstall and then head to the store again, to reinstall it. 

Can confirm that installing scorched earth allowed my game to launch fully

Posted Images

On 3/21/2018 at 9:03 AM, Juggernaut said:

try to clear the game cache/rest under apps > ark > advanced options. Then do wsreset.exe. I am on that same build haven't crashed in 5 days (was crashing every day before i downloaded that windows build) still not on server list though...

Thanks for the idea Juggernaut, but I can't install Ark because of the download loop that it is stuck in, so it is not in my list of apps. 

I tried deleting the ark files in my windowsapps folder using command prompt, but that hasn't stopped the download loop either.

thank you Jesse for that ... AWESOME fix you posted...
i cant reset my system back to the standard OS after I installed the insidebuild, and now I cant even log into my system anymore... everytime i try to fix windows, it crashes and says there's a driver fail and i need to reset my system which I CANT... so thank you very freaking much for that JESSE!!!!!!!!!!

and the insidebuild "fix it" buutton is greyed out so I cant even fix the OS

you ruined my computer bigtime!

and it didn't solve anything at all... i still cant play ark whatsoever! it splashes like crazy!!

DO NOT ever try to get that inside build if you're running in Windows Home edition... i've only seen the problem being fixed on windows Pro sadly

• Facepalm 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a new variation of the problem....

My download loop finally ended, but I don't know why. After weeks of the download loop repeating it is now installed!

But

I am on the insiders slow ring. When I launch it doesn't log me in until after I click start, and it always closes after 29-30 seconds. I can get past the splash screen, I can start to load a local game or start to join a server. The same thing still happens if I leave it at the "start" screen, or if I go to the menu. It always closes after 29-30 seconds no matter what I am doing in game....

I'm sure this is beating a dead horse at this point but same thing happens to me. I don't own any DLC on the win10 version, but my game will open and show the blue screen background with the scaled down ark picture for about 3.5 seconds before shutting down. Reinstalling does nothing, I've tried the ol "install candy crush crap" makes no difference. Tried forcing the program through admin mode to run, tried running it in safe mode, tried opening ports, tried running from command prompt, tried using a different xbox ID to sign in to the MS store, tried the things the devs have said in this thread. Got nowhere. Still does it. To clarify, the game did run fine at some point, not sure when it started doing this but it was some time near the end of last year because I was going to cross play with some friends over holidays and it started doing this. Hope there is a fix soon (and I highly suspect this is a windows/MS problem because my steam version of ark runs fine minus those random crashes I posted about in the past)

I have the same issue. I've tried, in no certain order...

1.) Reinstalling everything. The main game. The DLCs,etc. Twice.

2.) Tried started the Windows PushToInstall service and then starting the game.

3.) Signed up for Windows Insider and updated my PC.

4) signed out of the Microsoft store and Xbox app, rebooted the PC and signed into the Store again. Never prompts me to sign into Xbox so I have tried both not signing in prior to lunch as well as signing in prior to launching the game.

5.) Updating the two files recommended in the first post. (I can't remember what they are called)

6.) Downloading Netflix and then launching the game.

7) Fixing the DCOM error that says Runtime Broker does not have permissions. After giving permissions to the correct file, I still get this error in the event viewer.

My computer meets all minimum requirements for the game to run.

So, at this point, i'm really at a loss as to what to do here. I have the physical copy of Ark for Xbox so I had to buy the PC copy in order to play the game on my PC. I'm a little frustrated that I can't play a game that I had to purchase that I already owned to begin with ?

Please send help.

3 hours ago, Sijileroux said:

I have the same issue. I've tried, in no certain order...

1.) Reinstalling everything. The main game. The DLCs,etc. Twice.

2.) Tried started the Windows PushToInstall service and then starting the game.

3.) Signed up for Windows Insider and updated my PC.

4) signed out of the Microsoft store and Xbox app, rebooted the PC and signed into the Store again. Never prompts me to sign into Xbox so I have tried both not signing in prior to lunch as well as signing in prior to launching the game.

5.) Updating the two files recommended in the first post. (I can't remember what they are called)

6.) Downloading Netflix and then launching the game.

7) Fixing the DCOM error that says Runtime Broker does not have permissions. After giving permissions to the correct file, I still get this error in the event viewer.

My computer meets all minimum requirements for the game to run.

So, at this point, i'm really at a loss as to what to do here. I have the physical copy of Ark for Xbox so I had to buy the PC copy in order to play the game on my PC. I'm a little frustrated that I can't play a game that I had to purchase that I already owned to begin with ?

Please send help.

What does your event viewer for ark show or any related events for ark?

5 minutes ago, Sijileroux said:

It doesn't show anything related to Ark at all. No System errors. No Application errors. Oh, I also tried changing my resolution but that didn't help either.

It is failing to start because of DCOM issue. This is related to microsoft DRM. I had this issue before, i had to do a complete windows refresh, then install the latest insider build (slow ring) and then install ark for DCOM issues to go away. I still get crashing issues though but I can at least start the game now. There are multiple processes/apps that rely on on the DCOM server (you can check the branches for DCOM server) and it is still buggy.  Other xbox play anywhere games also suffer from these similar issues. All you can really do is relay the event issues to MS and hope they fix them. 

Edited by Juggernaut
On 4/16/2018 at 1:46 PM, Juggernaut said:

It is failing to start because of DCOM issue. This is related to microsoft DRM. I had this issue before, i had to do a complete windows refresh, then install the latest insider build (slow ring) and then install ark for DCOM issues to go away. I still get crashing issues though but I can at least start the game now. There are multiple processes/apps that rely on on the DCOM server (you can check the branches for DCOM server) and it is still buggy.  Other xbox play anywhere games also suffer from these similar issues. All you can really do is relay the event issues to MS and hope they fix them. 

Hey Juggernaut,  if I reinstall the game on a new server can I restore my old game/saves? Any way we can PM, you seem to know your stuff. Thanks.

2 hours ago, xspyboyx said:

Hey Juggernaut,  if I reinstall the game on a new server can I restore my old game/saves? Any way we can PM, you seem to know your stuff. Thanks.

You can restore old server configurations/saves but I haven't found out how to locate the single player game saves (most likely in a protected/encrypted windows store folder). All of the server configurations files and saves are located under app data > microsoft > studio wildcard > local state > "saved". 

1 hour ago, Juggernaut said:

You can restore old server configurations/saves but I haven't found out how to locate the single player game saves (most likely in a protected/encrypted windows store folder). All of the server configurations files and saves are located under app data > microsoft > studio wildcard > local state > "saved". 

So you just copy all the files from "saved" into the new server, start it up? that's it?

My old server starts, will let people join for like 5 minutes and instantly crashes. Nothing in event logs or anything. Microsoft is starting to really piss me off. Shame on Wildcard and MS for not implementing this better

20 hours ago, Juggernaut said:

Hey thanks for this, I was able to build a new server and restore my map/saves without issue. Seems like I should build a 3rd server to have on hand in case MS messes this one up too.

Is there still no way to get the game to show up in the official list?

30 minutes ago, xspyboyx said:

Hey thanks for this, I was able to build a new server and restore my map/saves without issue. Seems like I should build a 3rd server to have on hand in case MS messes this one up too.

Is there still no way to get the game to show up in the official list?

Yeah the windows 10 PC hosting version is super buggy, mine use to run for 2-3 weeks straight 24/7 no issues but now it will only run about 5 days 24-7 before crashing. I get events for the crash and I post them here hoping devs will address them but chances are slim. The windows 10 pc hosting version honestly needs its own separate windows store app like Nitrado and run more like the steam version with command access and headless. I think a lot of the issues are also caused by MS and their window store app/xbox app/xbox service apps not always communicating properly. But also it is part of the devs fault, you can tell the windows store version was rushed with all the bugs and obvious buttons/controls not working, there was very little QA done. The most annoying bug and most common is textures failing to load when playing, forces you have to restart the game but also gives you an advantage because you can see everyone's base and dinos since nothing is hidden, makes thylo and purlovia "hidden" vaults not so hidden lol. 

In terms of appearing on server list, this has been a day 1 issue since ARK for both steam and non-nitrado servers. For some reason nitrado hosted servers show up within 5 minutes of starting them but other types of hosted servers are hit and miss. Mine typically takes about 3-4 days of running 24-7 to show up on the server list and even then, it might not always stay there. Something about the query for the list can only show so many servers. I am sure the devs are using some kind of ranking system for what servers show up. Best bet is to try and advertise and word of mouth, the only way people can join your server if not in the server list, is for you to friend them first through the xbox app (super annoying if you are not near your xbox, I have to use my xbox app on my phone and check it).

Also on that saved folder, I would advise you make backups in case your hard drive crashes or you want to do rollbacks. The windows 10 version will not make automatic backups even though the map saves every 30 minutes. You will need to use some kind of third-party backup software for this to make versions of each map in case you want to do rollbacks/etc. 

Last tip, if you are want to host a lot of people with decently high rates, you will need the fastest single clocked CPU you can get your hands on. The game is heavily single threaded and uses 2 other cores very lightly, mostly just one core so that will be your bottleneck. The devs stated this is a limitation of their current unreal game engine they are using and they can't upgrade the game engine to a newer unreal one because it would require a complete re-write since they have modified the original game engine so much. If they ever do Ark 2, I am sure it will utilize more cores better. 

Edited by Juggernaut
On 4/25/2018 at 8:52 AM, Juggernaut said:

Yeah the windows 10 PC hosting version is super buggy, mine use to run for 2-3 weeks straight 24/7 no issues but now it will only run about 5 days 24-7 before crashing. I get events for the crash and I post them here hoping devs will address them but chances are slim. The windows 10 pc hosting version honestly needs its own separate windows store app like Nitrado and run more like the steam version with command access and headless. I think a lot of the issues are also caused by MS and their window store app/xbox app/xbox service apps not always communicating properly. But also it is part of the devs fault, you can tell the windows store version was rushed with all the bugs and obvious buttons/controls not working, there was very little QA done. The most annoying bug and most common is textures failing to load when playing, forces you have to restart the game but also gives you an advantage because you can see everyone's base and dinos since nothing is hidden, makes thylo and purlovia "hidden" vaults not so hidden lol. 

In terms of appearing on server list, this has been a day 1 issue since ARK for both steam and non-nitrado servers. For some reason nitrado hosted servers show up within 5 minutes of starting them but other types of hosted servers are hit and miss. Mine typically takes about 3-4 days of running 24-7 to show up on the server list and even then, it might not always stay there. Something about the query for the list can only show so many servers. I am sure the devs are using some kind of ranking system for what servers show up. Best bet is to try and advertise and word of mouth, the only way people can join your server if not in the server list, is for you to friend them first through the xbox app (super annoying if you are not near your xbox, I have to use my xbox app on my phone and check it).

Also on that saved folder, I would advise you make backups in case your hard drive crashes or you want to do rollbacks. The windows 10 version will not make automatic backups even though the map saves every 30 minutes. You will need to use some kind of third-party backup software for this to make versions of each map in case you want to do rollbacks/etc. 

Last tip, if you are want to host a lot of people with decently high rates, you will need the fastest single clocked CPU you can get your hands on. The game is heavily single threaded and uses 2 other cores very lightly, mostly just one core so that will be your bottleneck. The devs stated this is a limitation of their current unreal game engine they are using and they can't upgrade the game engine to a newer unreal one because it would require a complete re-write since they have modified the original game engine so much. If they ever do Ark 2, I am sure it will utilize more cores better. 

Juggernaut, great info. I really wish they would fix the server list issue. I've never seen my server in the list even with open NAT and it being up for a week+.

I'm now doing file backups of the "files" as well as HyperV machine backups/snapshots. I'm running it on a R710 E5502 @ 1.87 Ghz with 96 gigs of ram and 8 disks in a raid  (I have other machines on this host) Ark has 16 gigs of ram and 4 procs. This seems to work well, I use to have the game on a SSD and restarts/backups was amazingly quick but it seemed like over kill and my players didn't notice much of a speed difference on the SSD vs HDD.

Also having the OS and the game on separate virtual disks seems to work well. This gives me the ability to mount the "data" disk to another machine if windows crashes and I needed to pull something off the server that the backup didn't have.

The most recent issue I've ran into on this new server is the game will randomly crash and in the event log it says "Package Studiowildcard.BunchofrandomnumbersAppArkSurvialEvolved was terminated because it took too long to suspend"....Like really? It's always some new issue. *eye roll*

One other question, What size are you running the server window? I noticed if the window is small it uses less CPU but if full screen it uses alot more. Does this effect game play at all?

Edited by xspyboyx
5 hours ago, xspyboyx said:

Juggernaut, great info. I really wish they would fix the server list issue. I've never seen my server in the list even with open NAT and it being up for a week+.

I'm now doing file backups of the "files" as well as HyperV machine backups/snapshots. I'm running it on a R710 E5502 @ 1.87 Ghz with 96 gigs of ram and 8 disks in a raid  (I have other machines on this host) Ark has 16 gigs of ram and 4 procs. This seems to work well, I use to have the game on a SSD and restarts/backups was amazingly quick but it seemed like over kill and my players didn't notice much of a speed difference on the SSD vs HDD.

Also having the OS and the game on separate virtual disks seems to work well. This gives me the ability to mount the "data" disk to another machine if windows crashes and I needed to pull something off the server that the backup didn't have.

The most recent issue I've ran into on this new server is the game will randomly crash and in the event log it says "Package Studiowildcard.BunchofrandomnumbersAppArkSurvialEvolved was terminated because it took too long to suspend"....Like really? It's always some new issue. *eye roll*

One other question, What size are you running the server window? I noticed if the window is small it uses less CPU but if full screen it uses alot more. Does this effect game play at all?

I was running on mine on i7-4790k 16gb of ram on windows pro. I was able to run two servers at once with VM/HyperV but that is it, with my limited RAM. SSD vs HD doesn't matter in terms of game play, it helps with saves when your save file gets large and server startup times but that is about it. I never had windows crash on me while running the game, only the game crashing or DCOM xbox live issues which has mostly been fixed with latest windows insider builds. I never seen that error, I was getting other Ark errors related to physx, there is a bug when playing on PC with windows store 10, textures fail to render, thinking maybe that has something to do with server crashing given we can't run the ark servers headless. It does run slightly higher frames per second if you minimize the window given the CPU/iGPU still has to render some of the game and host. I was just using google drive backup and it keeps version history for the past 30 days as my backup method, along with local once a day backups. Ragnorak with 70ppl on 10x was using around 8GB of Ram I think. Island map was like 6GB. 

That slow single core performance is fine for lower rate servers and not a lot of people but I say once you hit like 30+ on a big map like Ragnorak with a lot of structures and dinos and 10x+ rates it will bottleneck like crazy. I was running mine on a i5-4670 (3.8ghz) and it would bottleneck and lag once a lot of people joined. If you use the ini command Optimizedharvesting it helps with the lag as not as many calculations are done since you only get 1 resource at a time. I remember being on my i5-4670 with 70 ppl and I could crash the server just by swinging a Doed tail before i turned optimziedharvesting on. There was a post from a dev, that said they use to host tournaments and they were forced to use i7-6700Ks back then because the game engine favoring a single core so much. 

In terms of startup issues, I haven't had any since downloading the latest windows insider build as it pretains to this thread if people are still reading it. Download that and make sure windows store is up to date and your startup issues should go away. You might have to reinstall Ark. 

Edited by Juggernaut