Jatheish

Windows 10 / Play Anywhere - Closes on Start Up

Update 3 [10th of January]

Thank you to everyone who has submitted reports. Microsoft now has an internal repro of the problem and is working on getting us more information. We still do not know what is causing it, but Microsoft is on it! We'll update you as we learn more. ~ Jesse

Update 2 [8th of January]

For anyone who is having the close-on-launch issue, can you please do the following and send the results to [email protected] so we can work with Microsoft on the issue:

1. Attempt to launch the Microsoft Store version of ARK: Survival Evolved.
  2. Observe that the game closes automatically at the splash screen.
  3. Open a command prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd.exe)
  4. Type eventvwr
  5. Navigate to Windows Logs > System
  6. Right-click on any Errors you see from the time you launched the game, and choose Save Selected Events...
  7. Type cd %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Temp
  8. Type licensingdiag 
  9. Type wscollect
  10. Gather all of the files generated in the directory in step 7 by the commends in steps 8 and 9, and put them in a .RAR file (or renamed .ZIP file).

Thanks, this will hopefully help us solve this problem more quickly!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update one:

After further investigation, we've found that there is a communication issue with Microsoft's DCOM Server. Other games have had a similar issue, for instance, Forza 7:

https://forums.forzamotorsport.net/turn10_postst110840_Unable-to-start-DCOM-Server-error-starting-Forza-7.aspx

We managed to sort out the issue by installing DLC over the base game. If you are experiencing the crash, you can try reinstalling a DLC or the base game. We've reached out to Microsoft for further direction on how we can avoid this situation going forward. 

Other players have reported success installing smaller products, and then attempting to launch ARK.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Survivors,

I'm looking into an issue where the Windows 10 / Play Anywhere version of the game is immediately closing on startup for PC. For anyone experiencing the issue, could you please try the following:

Firstly, please check that you're running the latest version of Windows 10? You can see if your PC has downloaded the most recent updates by clicking here and selecting "Check for updates now": 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4027667/windows-update-windows-10

Afterwards, please ensure that the store is up to date. You can do so by clicking on "..." next to your profile on the top right, select "Downloads and updates", and then "Get updates". 

Once complete, please check the ARK Store page to see if you meet the minimum specification required to play the game. If everything checks out, please launch the game and see if your issue is solved.

If it's still closing out, please press the 'start' key on your windows, search for "dxdiag", run it, press the "Save all information.." button and paste the contents of that onto a www.pastebin.com which you can share with me here.

Also, it would be good to also try this:

- Sign out of the Xbox App

- Sign out of the Microsoft Store

- Restart your PC

- Sign back into the Microsoft Store

- Launch ARK

- Then when asked sign into the Xbox App and try to run the game.

Thanks!

So I am having this exact problem. I tried all the steps and even tried logging each of my xbox accounts with no luck. it did this the first day I installed it, worked just fine every day up until today when it started doing it again.

DxDiag.txt

Edited by Bowdwn2Megatron
added a file

13 minutes ago, Bowdwn2Megatron said:

So I am having this exact problem. I tried all the steps and even tried logging each of my xbox accounts with no luck. it did this the first day I installed it, worked just fine every day up until today when it started doing it again.

DxDiag.txt

Are you able to get a video for me when you attempt to start up the game?

2 minutes ago, Bowdwn2Megatron said:

heres a quick video trying it thru the reg app and using cortana to try and launch it

I'm going to send you a quick email (the one that's registered to your survivetheark account), let's see if we can work this out.

This is not about this topic but I’ve got an idea about something you could do for the dlc extinction. Instead of having canteens water bottles and skins you could have a uncommon chance to find a water bottle since it’s gonna be on earth and you can only find it not craft it. Hope u like the idea jat.

• Facepalm 1

Did all suggestions you had to fix crash on startup, but nothing worked. I had the original version that was released on the store last week, and the same thing is still happening now. Once freshly installed, I could play the game on single player fine. No crashes during gameplay or anything. When I shut the computer off, in both cases overnight, I turn it back on to find Ark crashing half a second past the blue load window with a smaller picture in the middle. No errors pop up, the window just opens and then closes shortly after, it doesn't freeze and need to be closed thru task manager. My graphics driver is updated, so is windows 10, tried to log out of store and restart but nothing changed.

Dxdiag: https://pastebin.com/CMfKwxFJ

I've downloaded this game 3x now over the past week at 80gb+ a pop, very frustrating.

Edited by Loblaw
clarity

4 hours ago, Jatheish said:

Let me know how that works out. If any of the above sold the problem for you, please let me know which steps you took.

Thanks!

I had the issue where Ark wouldn't start on my Silver account (shuts down with errror or else doesn't start), this was on a separate login on the same PC. I fixed it by going to the Apps under Settings and uninstalling it. Then logged in to the Store with my Gold account (with the windows login still being on the Silver account) and hit Install again. Since it's not on the primary Gold account the download is super fast, only needs about 60MB out of the full 60+ gigs. The game is still obviously fully installed on the Windows login that I use for my Gold account. 

Not sure if this is what other people are experiencing. 

After further investigation, we've found that there is a communication issue with Microsoft's DCOM Server. Other games have had a similar issue, for instance, Forza 7:

https://forums.forzamotorsport.net/turn10_postst110840_Unable-to-start-DCOM-Server-error-starting-Forza-7.aspx

We managed to sort out the issue by installing DLC over the base game. If you are experiencing the crash, you can try reinstalling a DLC or the base game. We've reached out to Microsoft for further direction on how we can avoid this situation going forward. 

24 minutes ago, CaptainMead said:

Is there any way to just reinstall a DLC on the Microsoft Store? The only thing i can remove is the whole game or nothing.

If you search for ARK in Add or Remove Programs, then select 'Advanced,' you'll see a list of add-ons. Just select one of them, and hit uninstall and then head to the store again, to reinstall it. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Jatheish said:

If you search for ARK in Add or Remove Programs, then select 'Advanced,' you'll see a list of add-ons. Just select one of them, and hit uninstall and then head to the store again, to reinstall it. 

Thanks for the tip, man! For future confirmation for other people, i removed Scorched Earth and then reinstalled it and it fixed the issue for me. My game is now loading and working.

• Thanks 1