Doed and Beaver both Autoharvest, Why not Anky?

CyanicEmber

So I was just wandering around with my freshly tamed Karkinos carrying a Doed and an Anky. To my surprise and delight, the Doed auto-harvested every rock that I held it near while it was still in my Karkinos' claws, however, my Anky simply sat there and did nothing. I spawned in a Castoroides as a test, and sure enough it harvested wood while held in the Karkinos' claws. It would truly be amazing for my sparkpowder, and even metal runs, if Anky's auto-harvested in the same way. Karkinos utility in both Single-Player and Multi-Player would sky-rocket even further!

Plus, for consistency's sake, Anky's should auto-harvest anyway. So as we approach the TLC pass, I think this would be a great thing to add in. Also, Anky's do not need to gather stone, just flint, metal, obsidian, and crystal. It just overlaps the Doed and reduces the Anky's innate usability. 

8 minutes ago, Olivar said:

They must have changed/broken this recently, because I'm pretty sure my Anky auto-harvest all rocks in front of his nose when I dismounted him on the mountains.

No, Ankys have always been the odd man out when it comes to auto harvesting.

10 minutes ago, CyanicEmber said:

It would truly be amazing for my sparkpowder, and even metal runs, if Anky's auto-harvested in the same way.

I think this is probably why Anky's don't have auto harvest, it would make gathering metal a little too easy... especially in PVP situations.

1 minute ago, Ranger1 said:

No, Ankys have always been the odd man out when it comes to auto harvesting.

I think this is probably why Anky's don't have auto harvest, it would make gathering metal a little too easy... especially in PVP situations.

I suppose... On the other hand, having them autoharvest your metal always reduces their yield as compared to interacting with them manually. Because on their own they get overburdened, whereas when coordinated they can still be used even when they are overburdened.

1 minute ago, CyanicEmber said:

I suppose... On the other hand, having them autoharvest your metal always reduces their yield as compared to interacting with them manually. Because on their own they get overburdened, whereas when coordinated they can still be used even when they are overburdened.

Yes, but also consider that:

1:  You can be doing other important things while a creature is auto harvesting, and multi-tasking pays large dividends in game (especially when trying to rebuild from a raid, or build a base).

2:  You can have multiple creatures auto harvesting within your render range at the same time, again, while you are doing other things.

Passive collection of materials is something that has be be closely controlled, especially with the more valuable resources like metal.  Perhaps one day they will lift that restriction (possibly in the TLC pass), but considering the increasingly strict policies concerning auto decay and a general trend towards making it more difficult to maintain bases/structures unless they are constantly used/defended... well, I wouldn't count on it.

• 8 months later...

Archived