Please mark legacy PVE servers that are safe for the next 6 months

Halcyon

TL;DR :  Please mark legacy PVE servers that are safe for the next 6 months, so i can stop playing like a dead man walking. I can't let go of all I've done in the last years.  

-------------------

To live knowing there is an end, is something we humans deal to live with everyday. Some of us invest in children, to carry on all we've invested, so we feel we mattered. Others invest in infrastructure or a legacy....     Being dealt a bad card is nothing new to us. 

Now imagine you just found out the whole world is to end in your lifetime, but you don't know when for certain.  

Now if you were to look at your own 8 year old child in such a scenario, how would u feel? 

Some say "well, that's life." other's will say: "It's about damn time."   But those who love the world.... well; Sadness. 

I say: "Well, Wildcard has the luxury of being god in these matters."   

Please give us Legacy Players something to work with, so we can build bases again, without feeling like we're sculpting statues made of ice in spring. 

" It's easy to start over alone " said no ARK gamer ever. 

P.s. Yes, I know they released save files....  But singleplayer just isn't the same

TL;DR - Legacy players buy expansions too. This second rate citizens treatment by reserving the right to nuke their worlds to benefit the chosen ones, needs re-evaluation. 

(this post was a separate post, that got merged into this post by our hardworking and vigilant moderator(s)) 

--------------------------------------------

Sorry, but I can't NOT see the parallels to an apartheid. 

This treatment of legacy players as second rate citizens is clearly NOT what Wildcard had in mind, but ended up doing. 

The wings of the Hackers have been clipped.

A demand for legacy servers has been confirmed, as legacy players cap out the Abberation servers during prime time. 

Look. I agree that legacy had to be made legacy and split off from the usual cluster. Removing customer support had to be done in order to say "we don't condone the trade and use of hacked Dinos.", while washing your hands clean of the impossible and painful task of actively removing hacked Dinos from the system. 

But to go so far as to say "We'll nuke your entire world away when we want to, to benefit our better ones", that's downright messed up, bro. Like Death-Star grade messed up. You know it.  How is anybody suppose to play PvE with THAT hanging over their heads?!  

Making money off legacy players on expansions, while supporting the culling of their worlds?  That's like feeding legacy players and post-beta players protein paste made of older legacy players. GG. 

Clearly not what Wildcard planned for. (or is it? Was the decision made by the team or a Sith Lord? Donnoh) 

Also;  Don't come at me with "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few."  

Remember that legacy players were a majority. Don't forget your roots. 

What stops Wildcard from repeating history?  Food for thought.  

I understand you there Halcyon, I'm still on a legacy server also, official just has too much going on, either no room to start over now or no luck on what few ragnarok/aberration servers we got. Seems legacy was left to dust at this point, though ever since they implemented the dino unclaim option we have had a lot less raiders on ours. which is fine. they come, they eat(take) they leave. means less population overall, I have 4 people in our tribe and 2 guaranteed to login daily, maybe 3 or 4 tribes of any size left, which was at one time much more considerable (over 20 confirmed different tribes). Cutting off the legacy servers pretty much ruined everything as a lot of people jumped ship.  only way to know if our servers MIGHT stay is what population is doing, if they stay 0 for too long, day after day, you can bet your bottom dollar line they will be gone. Everyone started as a "legacy" player, weather they want to acknowledge that or not. But it is easy to say " we should have left too", Not everyone wants to just walk away from everything and restart.

28 minutes ago, ArkRage said:

What about the legacy players that have already had their server deleted? I'd like to know what sets you apart from them. I don't wanna sound insenstitive, but I'm sure other legacy players would be upset if certain servers got special treatment and were saved. ?

You don't have to play singleplayer with the save file, y'know. How about talking to other players on your server and see if they all want to contribute to a nitro server (or even a dedicared server) for you all to continue your adventure?  Good luck with the world whatever you decide to do if the devs do decide to repurpose it. :)

What sets me apart is that if I knew my server was gonna sink, i'd do all within my power to evacuate my tribe and friends and all who wish to return.

If Wildcard could promise me the existence of a server for the next 6 months, I'd move to that server, build to my hearts content and RE-CONSTITUTE all of my friends and more - meaning i'd give them what i have saved, to boost them back up to their former glory. 

I have rows of "ARK Cryo" fridges, each holding several pairs of every kind of my best Dinos, ready for rapid repopulation. (and believe me, my stock is pretty good...) 

I'd ask nothing in return, for what goes around, comes around. Think of me as a colony ship, in search for safety. 

That, is what sets me apart. 

You see, there are 3 ways to win in life:  

1. Outperform

2. Outmanuever

3. Outlast. 

Nr. 3 is my strength. 

1 minute ago, ArkRage said:

Why put everything into an early access server, though. I mean, that should have been a indicator that it might not exist 6 months from when it was created let alone a year. I just don't get the logic. Nothing was set in stone about them not being wiped until a few months before release I think.

That's the sad thing. 

It was explicitly promised that there wouldn't be any wipes anymore on beta servers. They changed their minds at one point, then made a roundabout back to the original promise, just modified. A compromise was made. 

This sets a precedence to official launch servers, after all legacy servers are re-purposed. Are they going to re-purpose older official launch servers too, if there are no legacy servers left to repurpose? 

History has shown that Wildcard can and will "modify" promises. It's in their EULA. 

1 hour ago, ArkRage said:

I reckon in the future low populed official new servers could be repurposed too, but that's just my opinion. Who knows what will happen. 

For the amount of time and effort one has to put into achieving greatness in ARK, every player is faced with the question of whether it is worth it in an uncertain climate. 

My father once told me: "If you put the same amount of effort into your work, as you put into games, you'd be a millionaire by now."

These words haunted me ever since playing "EverQuest". 

It's just unfortunate that our realities is a painfully dull dimension compared to ARK. 

But then. It's alright. Legacy needs only last until Star Citizen launches. That is my consolation. 

7 hours ago, Halcyon said:

TL;DR :  Please mark legacy PVE servers that are safe for the next 6 months, so i can stop playing like a dead man walking. I can't let go of all I've done in the last years.  

-------------------

To live knowing there is an end, is something we humans deal to live with everyday. Some of us invest in children, to carry on all we've invested, so we feel we mattered. Others invest in infrastructure or a legacy....     Being dealt a bad card is nothing new to us. 

Now imagine you just found out the whole world is to end in your lifetime, but you don't know when for certain.  

Now if you were to look at your own 8 year old child in such a scenario, how would u feel? 

Some say "well, that's life." other's will say: "It's about damn time."   But those who love the world.... well; Sadness. 

I say: "Well, Wildcard has the luxury of being god in these matters."   

Please give us Legacy Players something to work with, so we can build bases again, without feeling like we're sculpting statues made of ice in spring. 

" It's easy to start over alone " said no ARK gamer ever. 

P.s. Yes, I know they released save files....  But singleplayer just isn't the same

Legacy is dead, there is no support or effort being put in to those servers. If you want support or any help at all you must leave legacy.

They should kill all legacy servers and make more officials. Theres enough dedi's our there for you people trying to hold onto your tames forever lol.

8 hours ago, Halcyon said:

Sorry, but I can't NOT see the parallels to an apartheid. 

What stops Wildcard from repeating history?  Food for thought.  

Please don't compare apartheid to video game servers. At least not in public. It's beyond insensitive for reasons I won't go into and you should already know. 

As for your request to have a list of servers that are safe for 6 months, considering their official statements on the matter, it's probably not going to happen. Wildcard has been pretty clear that they will decommission servers as the populations die. If you're on server with heavy activity throughout the day and suddenly a bunch of tribes move to another server, yours might die and it might be repurposed. Wildcard doesn't have a crystal ball, which means they can't tell you if the population of the server you're on will die in the next 6 months. That said, if your server is high-population and has been since release, you probably don't have too much to worry about. Worst case scenario, you get a warning before it's repurposed and you take all your stuff to another legacy server.

2 hours ago, OttoGrunf said:

wildcard will not provide answer for how long legacy servers are safe because it would be  good communication with your player base and they think thats a mortal sin :D 

Wildcard did provide an answer for how long legacy servers are safe. Legacy servers will be around as long as they are populated. The devs will notify players before the server is repurposed to allow time players to transfer off dinos and materials. Additionally, they are providing world-saves of the server for those who wish to preserve more than just the dinos/mats, allowing the player to reminisce in singleplayer, or rent a server, load the save, and invite folks to play there instead of the retired legacy server.

There are plenty of legitimate and lasting reasons to criticize Wildcard. There's no need to make stuff up if you want to make them look bad.

4 hours ago, edskelly said:

They already made the legacy saves available.

You should of taken the file to unofficial.Myself and some friends did and we haven't looked back.

I have yet to load one of those up. How much loot did you make off with tearing through everyone's bases?

I side with the OP here. I have over 6k hours, most spent in Legacy servers. I hate this lingering feeling in the back of my mind, will I be able to keep playing here as long as I wish, or will I be cut off from this place at any given moment, and not given enough time to move all of my assets. It is a unpleasant feeling.

I used to have four Legacy servers I regularly played, and three unofficials, cut down to two legacy (due to the numerous micro-changes that increased how long upkeep takes) and one unofficial (cut off some unofficials due to the uncertainty of continued existence, and lack of my time to play). With Abberation released, my servers have changed to be three legacy, and one private (my own unofficial, which has experienced three Halloweens without reset/wipe).

I do not like the uncertainty that is the impending wipe/deletion that may or may not happen.

I do not like the time given to us to move out. 4 days is NOT enough. Moving out of the two Legacy servers I used to play, took me several weeks, WEEKS per server.

Most of the residents of my main Legacy server community have moved to a private one hosted by one of the residents. I was invited, tried it, and quit after a few days. The slight changes made, and the uncertainty if they will add mods or not, killed my motivation to play there. I asked for one small thing to be adjusted so it would be like the legacy I knew (respawn radius wasn't the same) and my request was denied. I left because I was too picky, so I did not feel I would be a good fit for my home (my stuff is a few thousand hours of time spent) to be left up to the whims of a single person. My ping to their server was usually over 200, hosted on the other side of the world from me.

The suggestion of going to unofficial maybe easier said than done, and not a solution for everyone.

In singleplayer, I had loaded up the legacy save of my main server. I freeze up every three seconds. And crash from time to time. Took me several hours with admin commands to delete most everyone else's bases and dinos, the game still freezes every few seconds. I cant get my mental state into a place of not using cheat codes, nor can I get the configs fixed to be exactly like Legacy Official. Wildcard has not released their config settings for public to know. Singleplayer Default settings are not the same as Legacy Official. Legacy official is still my preference. Besides, I frequently play with my side acct, tether host sucks, even if it is at 500 tether distance, playing Legacy Official is still preferred imo

I tried starting over on non-Legacy official, in a tribe with several friends from my Legacy servers. I tamed stuff (including two 7 hour mejo theriz tames), built stuff, and I just didn't care for it, like I cared for my Legacy stuff. My Legacy dinos, my muted breeds, my hoard of mastercraft, all of it I didn't have. I tossed leadership over to a friend, and left. Starting from scratch is not enjoyable for me after the first time. I hate the grind in the beginning. I only do it with the incentive of what I will have later on, and not having my legacy stuff killed my motivation to keep going on non-Legacy.

These are my thoughts motivated by the OP's post, and some of my thoughts brought up by others replies. My opinions/comments may or may not differ from your own, I am fully aware of this likely possibility and do not wish to be condemned for having a different opinion than yours. We should both be ok to have different opinions on these matters.

Thank you for taking your time to read. Please don't condemn me if you wish not to read, as you have every right to skip if you want.

6 hours ago, GreenRoc said:

I side with the OP here. I have over 6k hours, most spent in Legacy servers. I hate this lingering feeling in the back of my mind, will I be able to keep playing here as long as I wish, or will I be cut off from this place at any given moment, and not given enough time to move all of my assets. It is a unpleasant feeling.

I used to have four Legacy servers I regularly played, and three unofficials, cut down to two legacy (due to the numerous micro-changes that increased how long upkeep takes) and one unofficial (cut off some unofficials due to the uncertainty of continued existence, and lack of my time to play). With Abberation released, my servers have changed to be three legacy, and one private (my own unofficial, which has experienced three Halloweens without reset/wipe).

I do not like the uncertainty that is the impending wipe/deletion that may or may not happen.

I do not like the time given to us to move out. 4 days is NOT enough. Moving out of the two Legacy servers I used to play, took me several weeks, WEEKS per server.

Most of the residents of my main Legacy server community have moved to a private one hosted by one of the residents. I was invited, tried it, and quit after a few days. The slight changes made, and the uncertainty if they will add mods or not, killed my motivation to play there. I asked for one small thing to be adjusted so it would be like the legacy I knew (respawn radius wasn't the same) and my request was denied. I left because I was too picky, so I did not feel I would be a good fit for my home (my stuff is a few thousand hours of time spent) to be left up to the whims of a single person. My ping to their server was usually over 200, hosted on the other side of the world from me.

The suggestion of going to unofficial maybe easier said than done, and not a solution for everyone.

In singleplayer, I had loaded up the legacy save of my main server. I freeze up every three seconds. And crash from time to time. Took me several hours with admin commands to delete most everyone else's bases and dinos, the game still freezes every few seconds. I cant get my mental state into a place of not using cheat codes, nor can I get the configs fixed to be exactly like Legacy Official. Wildcard has not released their config settings for public to know. Singleplayer Default settings are not the same as Legacy Official. Legacy official is still my preference. Besides, I frequently play with my side acct, tether host sucks, even if it is at 500 tether distance, playing Legacy Official is still preferred imo

I tried starting over on non-Legacy official, in a tribe with several friends from my Legacy servers. I tamed stuff (including two 7 hour mejo theriz tames), built stuff, and I just didn't care for it, like I cared for my Legacy stuff. My Legacy dinos, my muted breeds, my hoard of mastercraft, all of it I didn't have. I tossed leadership over to a friend, and left. Starting from scratch is not enjoyable for me after the first time. I hate the grind in the beginning. I only do it with the incentive of what I will have later on, and not having my legacy stuff killed my motivation to keep going on non-Legacy.

These are my thoughts motivated by the OP's post, and some of my thoughts brought up by others replies. My opinions/comments may or may not differ from your own, I am fully aware of this likely possibility and do not wish to be condemned for having a different opinion than yours. We should both be ok to have different opinions on these matters.

Thank you for taking your time to read. Please don't condemn me if you wish not to read, as you have every right to skip if you want.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Exactly how I feel! 

I do feel inspired into hosting my own unofficial server just to have the feeling of certainty. But I also don't want to have the power of god in my hands for it lessens the value of all that is. Like.. it destroys the fourth wall, because your a 4th dimensional being.  Official servers exist for their own sake, just as ARKs do. On the other hand, I could explain that my tribe ascended to a point where we hacked an ARK and placed it under our control, and decided to make it our home world. 

I daydream about using structures + and steampunk mod, giving everyone an Airship to start with, so the map itself can stay virgin, and so there will be no disputes over territory. 

I'd spawn a boss onto the overworld as events, or as a quest reward and my friends would then fly their airship(s) over these bosses and bombard them with cannon(s). 

I'd revert the flyer nerf and all. Make the obelisk system fun again by removing those stupid timers. 

@GreenRoc@Halcyonjust need to learn some self control regarding using cheat codes if you ever take your saves to unofficial, its not actually that hard.Once its set up how you want it you can kinda forget that you have the power to cheat.

I personally think that another round of wipes is very close.With player numbers on many of the legacy servers im surprised theyre not gone already,the server i played on and am now hosting on unofficial has no more than 2 people online at a time.

8 hours ago, LouSpowells said:

Wildcard did provide an answer for how long legacy servers are safe. Legacy servers will be around as long as they are populated. The devs will notify players before the server is repurposed to allow time players to transfer off dinos and materials. Additionally, they are providing world-saves of the server for those who wish to preserve more than just the dinos/mats, allowing the player to reminisce in singleplayer, or rent a server, load the save, and invite folks to play there instead of the retired legacy server.

There are plenty of legitimate and lasting reasons to criticize Wildcard. There's no need to make stuff up if you want to make them look bad.

they didnt check 

they will not be around as wildcard prefers to have hight player count on servers even that servers arent suitable for that high player count as they lag like insane.

you think 2-3 days are fine for large bases and lots of animals to be moved? people tend to have families and work, cant play ark for 72 hours straight to do that

i dont want saved files, im playing pvp and i just want good servers with enought but not too much people and 0 lag, and legacy is like that

i dont criticize wildcard i just want information how long will legacy servers be online so i know should i keep playing there or should i find something else to play as nobody likes that his or hers game is interrupted in middle

Archived