Cross play becoming standard on Official-Opinions?

Dreadnaught

With the announcement today of crossplay with windows 10 and the revelation in said announcement that all official servers will become crossplay once battle eye is working on windows 10 sometime in the future we will have some PC players interacting with the console crowd.  How does this make you feel?  Will this be good for the game and its community?  What are potential problems that could come up?  What is the direct benefit to players?  Just a few questions, wonder how others are reacting to this news, lets discuss it!

• Volunteer Moderator

the Steam version and the Win10 version are not crossplay compatible and are separate versions. the Win10 version is essentially the xbox version emulated on Win10, so Steam version PC players will not be interacting with console players, at least not for the foreseeable future. 

Doesnt really make me feel anything. Why shouldnt it be on all servers once battleeye is up and running ? Are the PC crowd really going to be intereacting with the console crowd ? If your on PC chances are your going to have the Steam version of the game not the windows 10 version, its not really crossplay. True crossplay probably wont ever happen. I always saw this as an option to allow xbox people to play on their pc.

28 minutes ago, Ep1cM0nk3y said:

bad idea from a balance perspective.. key board and mouse is vastly superior to controllers both with aiming and interface/inventory management..

Agreed, terrible idea purely because like you said the keyboard and mouse is superior and does allow for more things to be done which a controller just can't do. Also PC can spec tf out of their computer to reduce frame drops and essential stuff like that which will make the general PVP massively unbalanced, especially sniping. 

Edit: Ignore me, Grand Master Inquisitor @Joebl0w13 has provided more accurately below.

• Volunteer Moderator
12 minutes ago, Dylan1602 said:

Agreed, terrible idea purely because like you said the keyboard and mouse is superior and does allow for more things to be done which a controller just can't do. Also PC can spec tf out of their computer to reduce frame drops and essential stuff like that which will make the general PVP massively unbalanced, especially sniping. 

The version running on the PC is the exact same code/version as running on the xbox. It's simply just a xbox client running on W10. Beefing up your machine isn't going to change anything.

The PC players and console crowd? You make it sound like different classes in society. As a PC and Xbox gamer (with the odd PS4 night thrown in) I'd like to point out that nothing will change. PvE servers will be pillared to death and PvP servers will be impossible to play on without being part of an alpha tribe - the machines played on will not change this!

19 minutes ago, Joebl0w13 said:

The version running on the PC is the exact same code/version as running on the xbox. It's simply just a xbox client running on W10. Beefing up your machine isn't going to change anything.

I disagree, getting better FPS near huge bases because of better hardware will be an advantage. And then Win10 version might have some additional graphic settings unlocked (view distance, higher resolution textures, control over shadows/blurs etc) as well as uncapped FPS and that will mean also better hardware - better performance.

1 hour ago, Joebl0w13 said:

I suspected this may be the case, my main concern would be what Ep1cM0nk3y stated.

2 hours ago, Ep1cM0nk3y said:

bad idea from a balance perspective.. key board and mouse is vastly superior to controllers both with aiming and interface/inventory management..

While the larger steam player base will not be on cross play i can totally see some people getting the win 10 version just to troll/pick on the people using controllers instead of mouse and keyboard.

4 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

keyboard and mouse is far superior to a gamepad in fps games so even console version in virtual machine on pc will be an advantage for pc players

13 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

Yes, it will. Whilst it's the same code base (it's Microsoft's  UWP that allows for this), the PC version can take advantage of increased CPU performance, RAM and graphical hardware. I've literally watched this happen with my own eyes last week when the Win 10/Play Anywhere version came out. The Windows 10 version is not 'crippled' to match the performance on Xbox One hardware, if you have a $10k PC setup it'll take full advantage of that. I mean you'll probably have the Steam version if that was the case, but anyway... :P

9 hours ago, OttoGrunf said:

keyboard and mouse is far superior to a gamepad in fps games so even console version in virtual machine on pc will be an advantage for pc players

It's not a virtual machine, it's from the same codebase.

@Joebl0w13 - if you want to 'facepalm' this comment, let's see you provide some facts and figures to correct any portion of it.

1 minute ago, OttoGrunf said:

totally not important regarding my comment that mouse + keyboard are far superior to the gamepad and will obliterate gamepad players in the game like ark

Agreed, and I never said it wasn't. But people will see that and just go ahead and believe it's in a virtual environment, which is what I was pointing out.

Archived