ARK: Survival Evolved, Available Now on Windows 10 with CrossPlay!

Jatheish

1 minute ago, CyberAngel67 said:

Thanks I already knew that, I guess I had to wait until someone connected to the server before it generated the save file for the server.

Still I would like to know how I can access to this via a program so I can write a backup program for it, as well as an editor for the ini.

a simple batch file, or power-shell script can do it, or any backup app, or even syncing it with a cloud service should work.  

Just now, GhostlyCrowd said:

a simple batch file, or power-shell script can do it, or any backup app, or even syncing it with a cloud service should work.  

Yeah, but thats not what I have in mind. I'll have to re-read and see if env vars are handled in apps, they should be. I just don't know why I didn't think of %localappdata%

7 hours ago, CyberAngel67 said:

Yeah the Windows 10 version was seriously rushed out the door, very evident nobody did any serious testing on that version.

Steam doesn't have cross play.

You can buy another copy fro steam, you will any way. And yes you can create a server and fire it up any time you want to play or leave it running like I do.

There are two ways you can do this, I would suggest searching for ASM (Ark Server Manager) and use that to setup your server, as doing it manually requires some serious time and know how.

The manual way of doing it can be found here.

https://ark.gamepedia.com/Dedicated_Server_Setup

No way in hell I'm getting the steam version if I can't play with the xbox/win 10 people.  The rest of my fam is on Xbone... This is a poop show of a company to screw steam players so hard.

On 12/20/2017 at 2:03 PM, DaniCardelli said:

It worked for me. I will do another test but I think that inviting from the game (there is a button there to invite friends) doesn't work but inviting from Windows Xbox app worked. But also I did another change in my router to enable all incoming data to the "server" so I'm not sure if both or just one fixed it. So, family member, inviting from the app and the router setup was my fix so far.

I will test inviting someone that is not a family member to see if works as well and if so, then we can probably narrow it down to the invite origin.

Anyway, my dedicated server still doesn't display in the ark server lists. No clue how to fix this.

Thanks for the help so far!

Ok. Last update on this so far.

1. I still can't see my dedicated session on the game list. No clue if there is a fix for this or if there will be, for that matter.

2. You don't need to add your silver account to you Family on Xbox. You can, it won't hurt. But you need to add as your "friend" or contact or whatever it's called. Then this is how we are doing so far.

- Silver account logged in Xbox APP on PC

- Push Play Ark from the App (it didn't run when playing it directly but this could be my PC fault. Keep it in mind)

- Open the game and start your dedicated server

Then from my Gold account and from my girlfriend also Gold account, we managed to log in to the server. It failed a few times and we tried different approaches like:

- Silver account invited friend (from the Xbox App, not from the game) it worked for me but just once for my girlfriend

- Once I got into the session, as my girlfriend was having issues, I invited her to join my game. It worked kind of fine. 

- On the second day, we both tried to Join the silver account game. It worked for me right the way. Fail for my girlfriend so I invited her to join my game. 

- On the third day, well, we tried again to just Join the silver account game and voi là.. Worked. And it's been like this since them (like we just play for 4 days so... lol)

NOTE: If you just try to "Join Last Session" which is an option in the servers list, it won't even enable if your last session wasn't started from there and as we are using INVITE to join the session, this will never be an option for us until the dedicated server shows in that list.

I don't know if this was well explained or if it will help some of you anyway.

But I hope our experiences combined manage to get this working and maybe WC also help us fixing some minor bugs in this, like not 

Just now, Darkprince388 said:

Ok, thank you.  So my copy of ark on pc doesn't matter because if I upgrade my pc to windows 10 instead of 7 I can crossplay?

no

You can only cross play between Xbox and Windows 10 store version, if you bought the Xbox Play Anywhere version. Steam version has nothing to do with Xbox Play anywhere.

Edited by CyberAngel67

2 minutes ago, CyberAngel67 said:

no

You can only cross play between Xbox and Windows 10 store version, if you bought the Xbox Play Anywhere version. Steam version has nothing to do with Xbox Play anywhere.

Oh.  Well that's just wrong.  I bought steam copy just like my Xbox copies and they can transfer.I understand its Microsoft probablyis the reason.  But man.  Talk about screw the first players of the game.

Oh.  Well that's just wrong.  I bought steam copy just like my Xbox copies and they can transfer.I understand its Microsoft probablyis the reason.  But man.  Talk about screw the first players of the game.

I suggest you research what Xbox Play Anywhere actually is, before you come to that conclusion of shafting the players.

8 minutes ago, CyberAngel67 said:

I suggest you research what Xbox Play Anywhere actually is, before you come to that conclusion of shafting the players.

I suggest you offer your evidence before bashing me about shafting players.  When I have been here a long time seeing players being shafted.  How about you explain something.   If someone doesn't get it.  As it sounds like I was just told that 1 copy doesn't get what another copy does.  That is shafting.  But as I am not able to understand everything right away.  Hat your attack.

• Facepalm 1

42 minutes ago, Darkprince388 said:

I suggest you offer your evidence before bashing me about shafting players.  When I have been here a long time seeing players being shafted.  How about you explain something.   If someone doesn't get it.  As it sounds like I was just told that 1 copy doesn't get what another copy does.  That is shafting.  But as I am not able to understand everything right away.  Hat your attack.

Just reread it.  I see what it is.  But as I said.  Original console version gets to go to windows 10 free.  Original pc version does not.  So original pc players have to buy another copy to be able to play with console players.  It's not right and the older players did get shafted unless there is something else that was not on the forum about it.  It's. Not. Right.  I'm not going to buy another after I already bought 4.  That's rediculous. 

Just reread it.  I see what it is.  But as I said.  Original console version gets to go to windows 10 free.  Original pc version does not.  So original pc players have to buy another copy to be able to play with console players.  It's not right and the older players did get shafted unless there is something else that was not on the forum about it.  It's. Not. Right.  I'm not going to buy another after I already bought 4.  That's rediculous. 

SMH

Xbox Play Anywhere

Those XBOX games, not steam games not PC games, but Xbox games, are special Xbox Live games under the umbrella Xbox Play Anywhere.

It is a Microsoft program, that allows for anyone on Xbox or Windows 10 store to buy these Play Anywhere games for the sole purpose of being able to, well play anywhere. It is not Valve doing this, it is not Sony doing this, it is Microsoft. WildCard joined that by allowing Xbox Players to get a free copy on Windows 10 so they could play on PC and connect to the Xbox Servers.

Like I said, before saying you have been shafted, understand what Xbox Play Anywhere actually is...

And for the love of god, notice it is XBOX Play Anywhere and not Steam Play Anywhere.

FYI:

The problem with mismatch versions or different versiones (lost in translation?) was that in PC the total conversion (primitive+) was active, after returning to normal game I was able to join the server from Xbox without any problems... except that (as some others mentioned) the server doesn't apper in the servers list.

The only way for anyone else to join is selecting join game (the players must be friends and not just followers). I hope this gets fixed so anyone else can join.

Hey i'm a really big Fan of Ark and know it released via cross play. Im grateful so I can play with my friends via xbox. But when I launch the game via Windows 10 version it gets to the start screen. I am able to login but it gets stuck loading any ideas how to fix. Ive reinstalled the game 4 times and still the same thing.

Thanks in advance

Zombiemad360

Just now, Zombiemad360 said:

Hey i'm a really big Fan of Ark and know it released via cross play. Im grateful so I can play with my friends via xbox. But when I launch the game via Windows 10 version it gets to the start screen. I am able to login but it gets stuck loading any ideas how to fix. Ive reinstalled the game 4 times and still the same thing.

Thanks in advance

Zombiemad360

I have no idea if this will fix it, but give it a go.

Select the Windows icon in the bottom left of the task bar and launch settings and go into the Apps section. Scroll down till you find Ark and click on it. After clicking on it, it will expand to show Advanced options, click on that and it should take you to reset the app.

1 hour ago, CyberAngel67 said:

SMH

Xbox Play Anywhere

Those XBOX games, not steam games not PC games, but Xbox games, are special Xbox Live games under the umbrella Xbox Play Anywhere.

It is a Microsoft program, that allows for anyone on Xbox or Windows 10 store to buy these Play Anywhere games for the sole purpose of being able to, well play anywhere. It is not Valve doing this, it is not Sony doing this, it is Microsoft. WildCard joined that by allowing Xbox Players to get a free copy on Windows 10 so they could play on PC and connect to the Xbox Servers.

Like I said, before saying you have been shafted, understand what Xbox Play Anywhere actually is...

And for the love of god, notice it is XBOX Play Anywhere and not Steam Play Anywhere.

Ok.  There you go.  For the love of god.  Try to be a little nicer, huh?  I'm not your enemy.  World peace.

17 minutes ago, CyberAngel67 said:

I have no idea if this will fix it, but give it a go.

Select the Windows icon in the bottom left of the task bar and launch settings and go into the Apps section. Scroll down till you find Ark and click on it. After clicking on it, it will expand to show Advanced options, click on that and it should take you to reset the app.

Thanks I have just tried this and still get stuck on the Main Menu loading... :(

Just now, Zombiemad360 said:

Thanks I have just tried this and still get stuck on the Main Menu loading... :(

The only other thing I can think is if you have Scorched Earth installed, uninstall and reinstall SE and see what happens, provided you own SE. Otherwise the only other thing I can suggest is reinstalling the game.

2 minutes ago, CyberAngel67 said:

The only other thing I can think is if you have Scorched Earth installed, uninstall and reinstall SE and see what happens, provided you own SE. Otherwise the only other thing I can suggest is reinstalling the game.

I have reinstalled and I dont own any DLC for the game yet