ARK: Survival Evolved, Available Now on Windows 10 with CrossPlay!

Jatheish

9 hours ago, CyberAngel67 said:

LOL, that sounds like a definite bug. May need to try that and see if it happens here.

Oh, did you try #1 and it didn't work or you just exited without trying #1, would be handy to know if that step worked or not. Might be something we can request for Windows 10, not sure how easy it would be to implement though.

This is exactly what I did

1) On Windows 10 exit the game, (which makes you return to the main screen when you open it again).

2) Log out of the Xbox App

3) Open Ark in Windows 10 and there sign-in with the silver account.

4) Send invite from pc to xbox and then try to join...

btw I still get the same error, what versions are you running in Windows 10 / Xbox? There was only update for console but none in the Microsoft store, mine are:

Win10:  1768.1

Xbox:      768.5

11 hours ago, HappyNem said:

What am most sad about is I can't run a dedicated server AND play on that server on the same PC... then I was like eh screw it the wife and I will play split screen while we are on the dedicated server... NOPE, can't play split screen on anything other than local and non dedi... DILO?

Does Steam have cross play?  Could I buy Another copy of the game for steam, run a dedi server there and then use the Windows version to log into it or the other way around?

I really love this game, but this dedicated server set up and play anywhere has been BS.

PS.. Why in the hell can't I put a password on a non dedicated game???

Yeah the Windows 10 version was seriously rushed out the door, very evident nobody did any serious testing on that version.

Steam doesn't have cross play.

You can buy another copy fro steam, you will any way. And yes you can create a server and fire it up any time you want to play or leave it running like I do.

There are two ways you can do this, I would suggest searching for ASM (Ark Server Manager) and use that to setup your server, as doing it manually requires some serious time and know how.

The manual way of doing it can be found here.

https://ark.gamepedia.com/Dedicated_Server_Setup

9 hours ago, gamerbadazz said:

Is the windows 10 version going to get or is there a way to make the game full screen? As of right now I don't see a way to get the annoying white windowed bar off the top of the screen :/

Yes, even though it should be doing it without this and I hope they fix it. But for now you can use the Windows Key + shift + enter to enter full screen.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ZombieMadAss said:

Do you have to have a controller plugged in for the game to even start up. Because I sign in and it doesn't load... HELP MAYBE

No, it should though. But you can just use the mouse and click on start. I know not very obvious, but that is what you get for rushing something out the door.

6 hours ago, Axldust said:

This is exactly what I did

1) On Windows 10 exit the game, (which makes you return to the main screen when you open it again).

2) Log out of the Xbox App

3) Open Ark in Windows 10 and there sign-in with the silver account.

4) Send invite from pc to xbox and then try to join...

btw I still get the same error, what versions are you running in Windows 10 / Xbox? There was only update for console but none in the Microsoft store, mine are:

Win10:  1768.1

Xbox:      768.5

Originally they where the same version when I tried that, however I am running 768.1 on Windows 10 and 768.5 on Xbox One and was able to be invited from the Xbox as normal. I will try sending an invite from Win 10 a bit later. 

1 hour ago, Luciferstwin said:

Gee Thanks. So for all of us that have been playing since it was first released as Early Access on steam, and have been playing on steam ever since.... get shafted. Cool.

No you're not getting shafted.

The Windows 10 Store version, is an Xbox Play Anywhere title, this is a special thing for Xbox Live players and allows them to buy a Digital copy and play on Xbox or PC and continue where they left off.

Personally I am over this bickering between MS and Sony, everything should be cross play and allow the player to choose where they want to play. I know, wishful thinking, got to happen one day...

11 hours ago, GhostlyCrowd said:

@Jatheish

Editing the INI files on Windows 10 is possible. I sent you a tweet about it but you must have missed it. I have it all working right now 4 servers up, customized by hand with INI edits. 

Unfortunately that is your single player ini files, if it is anything like the steam version, dedicated has a separate one which I can't find.

@Jatheish

I would like to propose I knew place for storing the INI files, a place that is accessible by the user and any tool programs. I have searched high and low how to programatically read those files and edit them with a tool. Either as a UWP App or Desktop App. Getting a user to Manually know that location, is something I don't want this tool to do.

On 21/12/2017 at 11:16 AM, Warlo3k said:

So their steps to host a dedicated server without buying another copy does work (logged into store with original Microsoft account I bought the game with, downloaded Ark, then went to xbox app on win 10, created a new account, and was able to use 2nd Microsoft account with a different email to run Ark with).

The problem I have is the dedicated server is useless. It launches and loads all the way through just fine, but NEVER shows on the dedicated server list. Nor can I invite myself to the game. 

-NAT is wide open (I DMZ'd the host which is ridiculous in relation to security to begin with but guarantees all open ports be forwarded to the PC)

-local system firewall is OFF

- system is dedicated solely to running an ARK dedicated session, so no other AV or anything else software wise to get in the way. 

Im rather desperate to get something up and running for me and my friends (who i bought each a copy for Christmas... hooray for this purchase......) to game on independently. I am an early supporter of Ark on steam (July of 2015) and have been enjoying the game for years. The Linux dedicated server i got setup in under an hour on a VM for steam. This, on the other hand, has been a nightmare.

I could NEVER understand why there was never a lan option on Xbox in the first place, I know very niche area, but still I think they under estimated people buying extra xbox's for that purpose.

6 minutes ago, ZombieMadAss said:

Im not being able to get back Start screen and it has been signed in at the top LEFT

WTF ARK.png

Yeah if you are stuck on the loading in the bottom corner, might be a problem. How long is the longest you waited there, with the loading in the bottom? It should take about as long as it the Xbox does.

3 hours ago, CyberAngel67 said:

Yeah if you are stuck on the loading in the bottom corner, might be a problem. How long is the longest you waited there, with the loading in the bottom? It should take about as long as it the Xbox does.

Im still waiting about 1Hr and 30 mins so far... So does anybody have a solution for why my game doesn't want to load after I login and also I can no longer open a thread on the forums... Everything is breaking RIP :(

Edited by ZombieMadAss

32 minutes ago, CyberAngel67 said:

No you're not getting shafted.

The Windows 10 Store version, is an Xbox Play Anywhere title, this is a special thing for Xbox Live players and allows them to buy a Digital copy and play on Xbox or PC and continue where they left off.

Personally I am over this bickering between MS and Sony, everything should be cross play and allow the player to choose where they want to play. I know, wishful thinking, got to happen one day...

How do you figure? I already own it on my PC that runs windows 10... So just because I didnt wait 3 years to buy in on PC now I cant play it on my xbox with out buying another copy? raptor that. Have already given WC too much money as it is.

• Volunteer Moderator
6 minutes ago, Luciferstwin said:

How do you figure? I already own it on my PC that runs windows 10... So just because I didnt wait 3 years to buy in on PC now I cant play it on my xbox with out buying another copy? raptor that. Have already given WC too much money as it is.

Windows 10 =/= Steam.

Windows and Xbox are both products of Microsoft, and Steam is a product of Valve. Why would you think Microsoft would give you a free version for Win10/Xbox just because you bought a version from Valve? Makes no sense.

4 hours ago, CyberAngel67 said:

Unfortunately that is your single player ini files, if it is anything like the steam version, dedicated has a separate one which I can't find.

@Jatheish

I would like to propose I knew place for storing the INI files, a place that is accessible by the user and any tool programs. I have searched high and low how to programatically read those files and edit them with a tool. Either as a UWP App or Desktop App. Getting a user to Manually know that location, is something I don't want this tool to do.

Incorrect, we have 3 servers running, all ini edited.  custom levels, custom spawns, custom dino levels, and custom drops and loot.  4th server i made as a test has alpha rexes alpha carnos running wild en-mass on Aberration. which we know dont exist otherwise. 

Edited by GhostlyCrowd

42 minutes ago, GhostlyCrowd said:

Incorrect, we have 3 servers running, all ini edited.  custom levels, custom spawns, custom dino levels, and custom drops and loot.  4th server i made as a test has alpha rexes alpha carnos running wild en-mass on Aberration. which we know dont exist otherwise. 

yeah to be honest I wasn't a 100% sure, as everything else about non-dedicated and dedicated is hidden otherwise, I made an assumption. Be nice to know where the maps are for backups.

9 minutes ago, CyberAngel67 said:

yeah to be honest I wasn't a 100% sure, as everything else about non-dedicated and dedicated is hidden otherwise, I made an assumption. Be nice to know where the maps are for backups.

All saved data and configs can be found here

%localappdata%\Packages\StudioWildcard.4558480580BB9_1w2mm55455e38\LocalState\Saved\UWPConfig\UWP\

11 minutes ago, GhostlyCrowd said:

All saved data and configs can be found here

%localappdata%\Packages\StudioWildcard.4558480580BB9_1w2mm55455e38\LocalState\Saved\UWPConfig\UWP\

Thanks I already knew that, I guess I had to wait until someone connected to the server before it generated the save file for the server.

Still I would like to know how I can access to this via a program so I can write a backup program for it, as well as an editor for the ini.