ARK: Survival Evolved, Available Now on Windows 10 with CrossPlay!

Jatheish

2 minutes ago, ilriveril said:

So at this moment, I can't host a dedicated server for the Windows 10 version on my Windows Server 2012 PC?  I don't have much hope for that ever happening when you say "we are going to see if there is a way"

You can now, they fixed it i'm in my own game now running the xbox dedicated and connecting with my PC. It appears to be resolved for the moment. Invites are sending and being received. Cheers

1 hour ago, DaniCardelli said:

Ok. So, about your explanation on item 2. I notice that it's not working. Invites from PC to Xbox fail to join every single time. And my dedicated server on PC does not display on Xbox list (same thing the other way around).
Now, we know this is bugged but do they know it?? I could not find any "official" info on this. Like, as I said in another thread, I've been waiting to create a PC dedicated server to crossplay on Xbox my own server since day one. Now they released like 2/3 of the benefits of PlayAnywhere but are they actually working on it?

Btw, the PC version on WIndows 10 does have the thetering as Xbox has. It was just increased 50%.

Yeah it works now, you can set it up. There is some monster lag in non-dedicated for me at times, no clue. If you have a modern PC you could theoretically run the dedicated server and another instance of the game as a client, but it's locked purely by the DRM with your xbox/windows account. You can only be signed in 1 at a time on each device.

Hrmm.. I didn't know that, I just checked and you're right. The tether will easily be removed soon enough, but as for now I guess it's only for split screen. Cheers

2 hours ago, adeezl said:

Try it again, it seems they fixed it overnight, invites/game joining from the xbox app on PC or on xbox is working now. 

* You are correct, they don't update this too often, the official forum, instead we get to seed through retweets and personal off topic stuff to get info on twitter or reddit hah.. it's cool, at least it's fixed at the moment. 

Now for the PC version to be massively updated, with like.. fullscreen and resolution changing.. 

It worked for me. I will do another test but I think that inviting from the game (there is a button there to invite friends) doesn't work but inviting from Windows Xbox app worked. But also I did another change in my router to enable all incoming data to the "server" so I'm not sure if both or just one fixed it. So, family member, inviting from the app and the router setup was my fix so far.

I will test inviting someone that is not a family member to see if works as well and if so, then we can probably narrow it down to the invite origin.

Anyway, my dedicated server still doesn't display in the ark server lists. No clue how to fix this.

Thanks for the help so far!

Ok just a question do we have any news what so ever on the new patch thats in cert cause me and several others are trying to set up a friends only dedicated server for abberition for our own personal fun but its has been unable to save this patch was supposed to fix this issue if I'm not mistaken so is there any news at all?

On 12/19/2017 at 1:03 PM, RaptorJesus093 said:

Does this apply to steam players as well? Or only Windows 10 versions of the game?

Same.  I have it on steam and 2 digital on xbox and the collectors.  So does this mean steam bought can transfer free to windows 10?  But not play on cross play?  As if someone uses Windows 7?

So their steps to host a dedicated server without buying another copy does work (logged into store with original Microsoft account I bought the game with, downloaded Ark, then went to xbox app on win 10, created a new account, and was able to use 2nd Microsoft account with a different email to run Ark with).

The problem I have is the dedicated server is useless. It launches and loads all the way through just fine, but NEVER shows on the dedicated server list. Nor can I invite myself to the game. 

-NAT is wide open (I DMZ'd the host which is ridiculous in relation to security to begin with but guarantees all open ports be forwarded to the PC)

-local system firewall is OFF

- system is dedicated solely to running an ARK dedicated session, so no other AV or anything else software wise to get in the way. 

Im rather desperate to get something up and running for me and my friends (who i bought each a copy for Christmas... hooray for this purchase......) to game on independently. I am an early supporter of Ark on steam (July of 2015) and have been enjoying the game for years. The Linux dedicated server i got setup in under an hour on a VM for steam. This, on the other hand, has been a nightmare.

4 hours ago, Darkprince388 said:

Same.  I have it on steam and 2 digital on xbox and the collectors.  So does this mean steam bought can transfer free to windows 10?  But not play on cross play?  As if someone uses Windows 7?

Xbox Play Anywhere is an Xbox and Windows 10 only thing, nothing to do with steam.

On your Windows 10 PC…
1.    Launch and sign into the Microsoft Store using your Xbox Live Gold account
2.    Download and install ARK
3.    Launch the Xbox App and sign-in (or create as needed) an Xbox Live Silver account
4.    Launch ARK
5.    When the Xbox Account picker comes up select the Silver account
6.    In ARK, set up your dedicated server

What if I've already sign-in with my Xbox Live Gold account? Is there a way to sign-out in the game in PC just like there is in console?

Edited by Axldust

On 12/19/2017 at 1:14 PM, Treyze said:

Super dissapointed that this means I have to buy the dlc twice on both xbox and steam to play with all my friends. Not worth it

You have severely misunderstood something. If you own the game and the DLC on xbox store. It syncs to the WINDOWS store. This is not a Steam/Microsoft cross play. Go to the MS Store on your windows 10 device, log in with your microsoft account you use for your main GOLD xbox account, and all digitally purchased content from your xbox profile will be downloadable at no charge.

Keep in mind you would need an additional account with a copy of the game in order to host a dedicated server on Windows 10 while simultaneously playing on Xbox.   So why is this crossed out? Does this mean we can host on PC and play on xbox? Cause I'm trying this right now and its not letting me start up my xbox version. Any ideas? I've been waiting for crossplay just so I can host a map for me and my buds where we aren't tethered to each other, very disappointing to see it may not work like that.

35 minutes ago, TylerTriforce2 said:

Keep in mind you would need an additional account with a copy of the game in order to host a dedicated server on Windows 10 while simultaneously playing on Xbox.   So why is this crossed out? Does this mean we can host on PC and play on xbox? Cause I'm trying this right now and its not letting me start up my xbox version. Any ideas? I've been waiting for crossplay just so I can host a map for me and my buds where we aren't tethered to each other, very disappointing to see it may not work like that.

No idea, you do need another account to host on Windows 10, the two accounts can not be active on both devices at the same time.

4 hours ago, Axldust said:

What if I've already sign-in with my Xbox Live Gold account? Is there a way to sign-out in the game in PC just like there is in console?

I am not sure if this works or not, but you can try it.

1) On the Windows 10 version go back to the start screen in the same way you do on Xbox.

2) Log out of the Xbox App and sign into the account you want.

3) Press Y  in Ark on the start screen like you would on Xbox.

Now I am assuming it will pick up the new Microsoft Account/Xbox Live and use it, let me know how you go.

Edited by CyberAngel67

6 hours ago, CyberAngel67 said:

I am not sure if this works or not, but you can try it.

1) On the Windows 10 version go back to the start screen in the same way you do on Xbox.

2) Log out of the Xbox App and sign into the account you want.

3) Press Y  in Ark on the start screen like you would on Xbox.

Now I am assuming it will pick up the new Microsoft Account/Xbox Live and use it, let me know how you go.

It worked, thanks, the only difference is step 1, I closed the game then proceed to log out in the xbox app and log in(in the game)with a silver account.

But now, I created a dedicated game and when I try to join in  console (via direct invite since the game is not listed in the servers list) I get the message:

"The client and host versions don't match" (not exact words), I will try to update the Windows 10 version now, will let you know if it works.

Edited by Axldust
typo

On 12/19/2017 at 8:03 PM, IDreamInCode said:

Extremely disappointed with this roll out of Aberration. I can't even run my Xbox server as it doesn't save progress... been checking it every day for 4 days and still no update (still in CERT!? bullpoop!). So I figured... sweet, I'll just setup a dedicated on PC and access via Xbox using crossplay! Oh wait, also broken! Thanks for thoroughly testing Wildcard/Microsoft... very disappointed customer here!

So last night I was pleasantly surprised when I got home from work... I was actually able to use crossplay and connect three of my Xbox's to my Win10 PC Server!!! However, after playing with my kids for two hours I was again disappointed to find that the server did not save structures/items as on the Xbox One.

Pretty amazed that it's been in certification for almost a week!?!?

2 hours ago, Axldust said:

It worked, thanks, the only difference is step 1, I closed the game then proceed to log out in the xbox app and log in(in the game)with a silver account.

But now, I created a dedicated game and when I try to join in  console (via direct invite since the game is not listed in the servers list) I get the message:

"The client and host versions don't match" (not exact words), I will try to update the Windows 10 version now, will let you know if it works.

LOL, that sounds like a definite bug. May need to try that and see if it happens here.

Oh, did you try #1 and it didn't work or you just exited without trying #1, would be handy to know if that step worked or not. Might be something we can request for Windows 10, not sure how easy it would be to implement though.

Edited by CyberAngel67

4 hours ago, Axldust said:

I was able to send an invite and join, as the version number of Windows 10 and the Xbox matched, but for some reason the Xbox when loading into Ragnarok, was still the loading screen and the hot bar. The person on the PC, said they could see me running around, just I couldn't see anything.

On 12/19/2017 at 4:33 PM, Jatheish said:

You will not be able to edit the "game.ini" or "gameusersettings.ini" server files, as those are locked behind the Windows 10 platform

@Jatheish

Editing the INI files on Windows 10 is possible. I sent you a tweet about it but you must have missed it. I have it all working right now 4 servers up, customized by hand with INI edits. 

Edited by GhostlyCrowd

What am most sad about is I can't run a dedicated server AND play on that server on the same PC... then I was like eh screw it the wife and I will play split screen while we are on the dedicated server... NOPE, can't play split screen on anything other than local and non dedi... DILO?

Does Steam have cross play?  Could I buy Another copy of the game for steam, run a dedi server there and then use the Windows version to log into it or the other way around?

I really love this game, but this dedicated server set up and play anywhere has been BS.

PS.. Why in the hell can't I put a password on a non dedicated game???

Edited by HappyNem