ARK: Survival Evolved, Available Now on Windows 10 with CrossPlay!

Jatheish

1 hour ago, Draka1205 said:

Was able to get play anywhere crossplay working and hosting dedicated session on PC. 

Step1: Download ARK and all DLC from MS Store while logged in as XBOX Gold profile that had purchased game. 

Step 2: Made sure family member accounts were added  and could sign in on Win 10 PC that ARK was installed on (All Settings, accounts, family & other people)

Step 3: Made sure to login family member on XBOX and opted out of "Gold" since share live services on console.

Step 4: Added family member as friend and accepted from both PC and XBOX 

Step 5: Started ARK on Win 10 PC and logged in as Silver family member

Step 6: On Win 10 session - Setup dedicated server, enabled crossplay

Step 7: On Win 10 logged into XBOX app and started party with my gold account and invited to game once server admin panel was up with game loaded.

Step 8: On XBOX gold account accepted invite and logged into server.

I still need to browse for the server from my XBOX client, but I know that I was unable to see the invites or join on earlier attempts because I had failed to actually login with the other "silver account on XBOX and had only logged in on WIN 10.  Will update if browse for server works next. 

This worked for me as well.  I got in a party with my server host GT,  then invited my GT to the game from the admin console, not from the Xbox app.

3 hours ago, RockTheHawk said:

I don't know if this helps anyone but I was able to get Cross Play working by sending an invite from the Xbox dedicated server under the Admin menu. Then, under the Xbox app in Windows 10 I was able to click on that username and join the game from my PC.

That worked for me, though I'd tried it a thousand times the same way yesterday, so they must have issued a fix sometime in the past 10 hours.

I'm sure it's been asked before, and I'm sure I know the answer, but I've never seen an official response to it. I know on console if you host a dedicated server you have to dedicate your whole console just to running it, but on PC, both Windows 10 and Steam, if you host a dedicated server are you able to play it with that machine as well or is it like console in that regard?

1 minute ago, Zederia said:

Xbox One X has to be using dx12, plus the hardware of consoles is fixed, so...

No it doesn't have to, in fact I would be surprised if it is using Dx12, because the performance on the X shows it could do better if it was using Dx12.

Edited by CyberAngel67

2 hours ago, papafalafel said:

I started the download last night, it apparently didn't finish but the hard drive space is gone and I can't find the install, and now it's not available in the windows store any more. Amy suggestions? 

I had a similar problem at the very beginning, but with all the trouble at lunch of play anywhere, I just figured it was their problem to fix. As it turns out it actually hadn't finished downloading yet, just the progress had disappeared. If you check the properties of the Microsoft store download folder you'll see it has 2 different sizes. One is actual size on disk and one is allocated empty space. Check your downloads in the Microsoft store maybe it'll show as incomplete. Otherwise just wait for it to finish.

15 minutes ago, Joebl0w13 said:

Both the Xbox One and the Xbox One X use DX12.

When did they sneak that in, they have been promising for over a year for that, in fact it had been on the coming soon for so long.

Sorry but until I see it in writing from WildCard, I doubt very much it is using Dx12, because why was steam version excluded from Dx12?

14 hours ago, adeezl said:

Since the mods and 'volunteer' mods go MIA, i'll easily answer this for you.

1) You do not need to buy another 100euros worth of ARK. You don't even need xbox live to play multiplayer from a PC if you buy the PC version from the store (gives you the xbox version), but you do need it to play the xbox version online.

2) Correct, you cannot host a dedicated and play from the same machine on either PC or XBOX. Unless you plan on playing when he's not, or have like 20+ people connecting (the reason for a dedicated server), then you should have him host a non-dedicated session on the PC so you get the benefits of no tethering etc. The thing is, it's not working right now, invites to friends, among just trying to join from the xbox or the PC xbox app for Windows 10, it's not working yet, but when they get it figured out, you're good to go that way)

3) This is unlike any other Play Anywhere title, and thus far not in a good way. It's supposedly "out" for 4 months retail, then Play Anywhere added later (Dec.14th was the real release for the Windows 10 version), but it doesn't work Cross-platform right now.

Ok. So, about your explanation on item 2. I notice that it's not working. Invites from PC to Xbox fail to join every single time. And my dedicated server on PC does not display on Xbox list (same thing the other way around).
Now, we know this is bugged but do they know it?? I could not find any "official" info on this. Like, as I said in another thread, I've been waiting to create a PC dedicated server to crossplay on Xbox my own server since day one. Now they released like 2/3 of the benefits of PlayAnywhere but are they actually working on it?

Btw, the PC version on WIndows 10 does have the thetering as Xbox has. It was just increased 50%.

• Volunteer Moderator
45 minutes ago, CyberAngel67 said:

When did they sneak that in, they have been promising for over a year for that, in fact it had been on the coming soon for so long.

Sorry but until I see it in writing from WildCard, I doubt very much it is using Dx12, because why was steam version excluded from Dx12?

I didn't say Ark uses the API. Just that the API is used/available on both Xbox versions.

Good afternoon!

I bought steam earlier last year on steam.  Is there any expectation that I'll be allowed to participate in Cross Play anytime soon?
It seems only useful to the people that bought it on Xbox.

I only ask because even creating an account on these forums required my steam login so WC has the account on file anyway, so seems silly that they won't be able to

• Volunteer Moderator
Just now, Zadrax said:

Good afternoon!

I bought steam earlier last year on steam.  Is there any expectation that I'll be allowed to participate in Cross Play anytime soon?
It seems only useful to the people that bought it on Xbox.

I only ask because even creating an account on these forums required my steam login so WC has the account on file anyway, so seems silly that they won't be able to

No. There are no current plans to make the Steam version compatible with the W10/Xbox version.

53 minutes ago, DaniCardelli said:

Ok. So, about your explanation on item 2. I notice that it's not working. Invites from PC to Xbox fail to join every single time. And my dedicated server on PC does not display on Xbox list (same thing the other way around).
Now, we know this is bugged but do they know it?? I could not find any "official" info on this. Like, as I said in another thread, I've been waiting to create a PC dedicated server to crossplay on Xbox my own server since day one. Now they released like 2/3 of the benefits of PlayAnywhere but are they actually working on it?

Btw, the PC version on WIndows 10 does have the thetering as Xbox has. It was just increased 50%.

Try it again, it seems they fixed it overnight, invites/game joining from the xbox app on PC or on xbox is working now. 

* You are correct, they don't update this too often, the official forum, instead we get to seed through retweets and personal off topic stuff to get info on twitter or reddit hah.. it's cool, at least it's fixed at the moment. 

Now for the PC version to be massively updated, with like.. fullscreen and resolution changing.. 

Edited by adeezl
forgot to add, yes they don't like giving info on here