ARK: Survival Evolved, Available Now on Windows 10 with CrossPlay!

Jatheish

31 minutes ago, Jatheish said:

That's what we're checking out with Microsoft at the moment.

Since there was no actual update for the game this morning for PC or xbox to replace code, what was actually 'changed' to allow this? Are you guys saying this was on the server side and not all of our install local copies? I was expecting an actual update at least on the windows 10 store or something.

Can you please clarify that cross-play dedicated hosting is actually cross play, and not just xbox hosts connecting to a PC server? I only see people wanting to host a dedicated server on PC and connect xbox clients. I want to host on XBOX and play with my PC which looks and runs light years faster. I have another made account on my home xbox that I use and share gold with, which is on my friend's list. This issue has nothing to do with silver/gold status. I'm gold on both. 

Correct, we still can't join/invite friends games on either xbox or PC, and vice versa. Something must still be up, we can't see our games in the list either. On the xbox app for PC, it still looks the same as before this was 'officially announced' this morning. It shows the account with the controller in the friend's listen, meaning it's a joinable game, but indeed is still greyed out, even after this morning. Surely we don't have to reinstall the game.

Thanks

I'm starting to see plenty of comments about this, but I've been spending the whole day trying to figure it out. I have a player dedicated server hosted on my xbox, and I'm trying to join it on my PC. I can't find it in the listed servers, I can't search it by name, and I can't join it from the Xbox app VIA my friends list. And yes i have cross platform enabled. I attempted to restart the server and it wiped all our progress and I still can't join...pretty crappy to lose all of our work and still can't even join. Been waiting for this update for months just to lose months of work. Someone help??

3 hours ago, BigBry said:

well you should buy this amazing game instead of playing ark for free

What does that even mean?! They DID buy ark. Gamesharing/Playanywhere is a great thing, in fact it gives me 3 copies of this game. One for my xbox, one for my gameshare, and one for PC. It's not working correctly as advertised, don't blame the consumer hah.. 

18 minutes ago, Texeira21 said:

I'm starting to see plenty of comments about this, but I've been spending the whole day trying to figure it out. I have a player dedicated server hosted on my xbox, and I'm trying to join it on my PC. I can't find it in the listed servers, I can't search it by name, and I can't join it from the Xbox app VIA my friends list. And yes i have cross platform enabled. I attempted to restart the server and it wiped all our progress and I still can't join...pretty crappy to lose all of our work and still can't even join. Been waiting for this update for months just to lose months of work. Someone help??

Yup, same here. This seems to be the consensus. It's just not working right, I was really surprised to see they somehow 'fixed' this without updating the game on either PC or XBOX.. interesting

*while sitting here BS'ing in the forums I've restarted my server 6 times, 3 times on each my XBOX and my PC, inviting my other gold tag and searching each time. We can't be sure if it's everyone, or even regional. Sorry to hear you guys even tried restarting your save, ouch! I feel your pain. 

Fun Fact for all - Some aren't aware we don't need xbox live on PC at all, and probably never will for lack of a player base. You just need the account you bought the game with to install it and on logged in PC, It's not hardware specific, even better than game share on xbox. Cheers 

Edited by adeezl

3 hours ago, Drolord said:

Yeah major disappiontment, had some friends buy steam version, and have xbox.  To me it's a fail we will never all play together

Still here, but in the studio's defense, this was said soooo long ago, like a year at least. People had a huge amount of time to decide. They clearly said that the steam version would not be cross-play. It can easily change down the road, but people always blame MSFT instead of Valve. Cheers

Good Evening,

First off I apologize if this is the wrong board to be posting this.  I am new to this site and I am looking for answers that I cannot find anywhere. Here are my issues.

First issue. I am unable to play cross play/play anywhere with my friends and family. I am trying to play on my PC and have my friends and family join my game, or trying to join their games to get this to work. I can't invite them to my game and they can't join mine and visa versa. Is this feature still broken or is there something that I am overlooking in getting this to work?

Second issue. Do I have to create a new gamer tag to use that to post a dedicated server on my PC in order for me to play on my xbox one x? I have a very powerful gaming PC that can play the game at max settings and I want to use it to run the game work so me and my friends and family can play on our Xbox's. 

I deeply appreciate any clear and precise answers to my questions. 

Thank you very much for your time and understanding. 

Ok I am soo confused, I have been waiting for this since they announced it.I have tweeted @Jatheish but no answer so hoping someone here can clarify this. Re: Windows 10/Xbox cross play My hubby bought the Xbox copy & now has access to the Windows 10 version & family shares the game with me on Xbox so I play, now If he hosts and plays on Windows 10 can I play with him from Xbox? or do I need to buy another copy? I understand that he cannot run a dedi from Windows 10 and then play from the Xbox. But what about gameshare/family Share? We cannot afford to shell out 100 Euros for another copy of the game and dlc etc. 

Also just to note there are other games that are play anywhere that and are still in Game Preview that we gameshare and can play, He logs in on pc launches the game, I log into my profile on Xbox and can play with him. Hope this makes sense lol

Edited by DeepwaterPie24

While on Xbox I can select the friend from the friends list and join the dedicated server we have set up, but I cannot type in the name of the server in order to access it. Why would it not be available in the list of dedicated servers? (Yes, I checked with and without password protection)

Edited by MoLeary

Extremely disappointed with this roll out of Aberration. I can't even run my Xbox server as it doesn't save progress... been checking it every day for 4 days and still no update (still in CERT!? bullpoop!). So I figured... sweet, I'll just setup a dedicated on PC and access via Xbox using crossplay! Oh wait, also broken! Thanks for thoroughly testing Wildcard/Microsoft... very disappointed customer here!

2 hours ago, DeepwaterPie24 said:

Ok I am soo confused, I have been waiting for this since they announced it.I have tweeted @Jatheish but no answer so hoping someone here can clarify this. Re: Windows 10/Xbox cross play My hubby bought the Xbox copy & now has access to the Windows 10 version & family shares the game with me on Xbox so I play, now If he hosts and plays on Windows 10 can I play with him from Xbox? or do I need to buy another copy? I understand that he cannot run a dedi from Windows 10 and then play from the Xbox. But what about gameshare/family Share? We cannot afford to shell out 100 Euros for another copy of the game and dlc etc. 

Also just to note there are other games that are play anywhere that and are still in Game Preview that we gameshare and can play, He logs in on pc launches the game, I log into my profile on Xbox and can play with him. Hope this makes sense lol

Since the mods and 'volunteer' mods go MIA, i'll easily answer this for you.

1) You do not need to buy another 100euros worth of ARK. You don't even need xbox live to play multiplayer from a PC if you buy the PC version from the store (gives you the xbox version), but you do need it to play the xbox version online.

2) Correct, you cannot host a dedicated and play from the same machine on either PC or XBOX. Unless you plan on playing when he's not, or have like 20+ people connecting (the reason for a dedicated server), then you should have him host a non-dedicated session on the PC so you get the benefits of no tethering etc. The thing is, it's not working right now, invites to friends, among just trying to join from the xbox or the PC xbox app for Windows 10, it's not working yet, but when they get it figured out, you're good to go that way)

3) This is unlike any other Play Anywhere title, and thus far not in a good way. It's supposedly "out" for 4 months retail, then Play Anywhere added later (Dec.14th was the real release for the Windows 10 version), but it doesn't work Cross-platform right now.

1 hour ago, DeepwaterPie24 said:

Yes they have been tweeting all day that they are working on it with Microsoft. 

https://twitter.com/Jatheish

This is where I get a bit iffy on this whole debacle of a release. 2 tweets saying they are aware and blame MSFT is hardly tweeting all day.. just saying!

This is the game forum.. people want to come here to get the info, not follow randoms on twitter for this game's updates. That's ludacris.

Was able to get play anywhere crossplay working and hosting dedicated session on PC. 

Step1: Download ARK and all DLC from MS Store while logged in as XBOX Gold profile that had purchased game. 

Step 2: Made sure family member accounts were added  and could sign in on Win 10 PC that ARK was installed on (All Settings, accounts, family & other people)

Step 3: Made sure to login family member on XBOX and opted out of "Gold" since share live services on console.

Step 4: Added family member as friend and accepted from both PC and XBOX 

Step 5: Started ARK on Win 10 PC and logged in as Silver family member

Step 6: On Win 10 session - Setup dedicated server, enabled crossplay

Step 7: On Win 10 logged into XBOX app and started party with my gold account and invited to game once server admin panel was up with game loaded.

Step 8: On XBOX gold account accepted invite and logged into server.

I still need to browse for the server from my XBOX client, but I know that I was unable to see the invites or join on earlier attempts because I had failed to actually login with the other "silver account on XBOX and had only logged in on WIN 10.  Will update if browse for server works next. 

**UPDATE** Can join server from WIN 10 only through invite, cannot browse from XBOX and see server created on WIN 10 on any server category.  Hopefully fixed soon.

Edited by Draka1205
Update

3 minutes ago, adeezl said:

Since the mods and 'volunteer' mods go MIA, i'll easily answer this for you.

1) You do not need to buy another 100euros worth of ARK. You don't even need xbox live to play multiplayer from a PC if you buy the PC version from the store (gives you the xbox version), but you do need it to play the xbox version online.

2) Correct, you cannot host a dedicated and play from the same machine on either PC or XBOX. Unless you plan on playing when he's not, or have like 20+ people connecting (the reason for a dedicated server), then you should have him host a non-dedicated session on the PC so you get the benefits of no tethering etc. The thing is, it's not working right now, invites to friends, among just trying to join from the xbox or the PC xbox app for Windows 10, it's not working yet, but when they get it figured out, you're good to go that way)

3) This is unlike any other Play Anywhere title, and thus far not in a good way. It's supposedly "out" for 4 months retail, then Play Anywhere added later (Dec.14th was the real release for the Windows 10 version), but it doesn't work Cross-platform right now.

Thanks for the reply,

1) -  is not needed as we own ark and have done for a lonnng time hehe, The windows version is under his account so I cannot play it on the PC anyway. 

2) - I did not know you could not run and play off the same machine, I just thought that was for the Xbox due to it not being strong enough to handle that, but a PC would, but I could be well incorrect their lol. Regarding the non-dedicated, I thought non-dedi's had the tether, that's why we want a dedicated server to play together without the tether, as when we ran a non dedi on xbox we had the tether, ahh but thinking about that, we were on one Xbox, so it was local split screen, so with us running a non-dedi we would lose the tether?

3) Yeah we were supposed to have play anywhere last year. But delays after delays after delays.. now its here and does not work >:(

lol

7 minutes ago, adeezl said:

This is where I get a bit iffy on this whole debacle of a release. 2 tweets saying they are aware and blame MSFT is hardly tweeting all day.. just saying!

This is the game forum.. people want to come here to get the info, not follow randoms on twitter for this game's updates. That's ludacris.

well it seems all day considering the first tweet about it was 7 hours ago, and I hear you about information not being on the official forums, this has been like this for a long time and most information especially early on was info from people repeating what the devs put on twitter or reddit,