Dino TLC: Feedback! Suggestions?

Jatheish

17 hours ago, pixelrobot said:

you said if you take away a dinos abilities they wont be used - i said they aren't used anyway - for the most part - and that i don't want to take them away - i want them to be implemented across more dinos instead of gimmicks for individual dinos.

As for the creatures above  - ill give you my thoughts - not that you want them, since clearly you're stuck in your opinion.

Basilos,- i take it you're talking about the blood in the water glow? why isn't blood in the water in general a thing? how does the Basilio making things bleed differ from other dinos making things bleed?

Thylas - why can't other creatures pounce and pin? or ambush for that matter?

Yutys - the ally roar is ridiculous and makes zero sense - does it have mind control? as for it's fear roar - implement it across more larger carnivores. (which i guess they are doing with the rex)

Kentros - why don't other horned creatures impale? or cause bleed? trike? stego? or take defensive damage for that matter?

Arthros - people don't use this dino - and it's turret mode is a joke.

Gigantopithicus - same applies for this one - which is about to change thankfully - i can grant this creature some "fantasy" since it is humanoid and could theoretically learn things like gathering fiber, climbing onto ziplines.

Daeodons - how does it heal other creatures? did it study medicine? ridiculous ability - just have it be a swift tanky mount - it's cool enough without the fluff.

Mantis - a mantis holding swords... when it already has sharp arms... redundant and it looks stupid as hell. But it's scorched earth, and well, if you like that stuff you're in a separate camp to me.

Lystros - medium carnivores need to eat - why can't it just be scenery? or a companion with no magical benefits? not everything has to have a gimmick.

Pachyrhinos - same applies for this one really - why can't it just be a hefty mount like the trike - but less deadly? have it easier to tame - bingo - it's got it's place in the game - biodiversity and an easier to tame mount for starter tribes.

Iguanadons - can switch from bipedal to quad? spino is getting that now too - devs are fixing things.

Equus - why can't other creatures KO easily - pachy, im looking at you.

If you don't agree dude that's fine - i get the feeling ark fans fall into two camps - those that were lured in by the dinosaurs and obsure species and those that were lured in by the pvp and power fantasy.

Some of us want a semi-realistic dinosaur world to live in, others want to ride wyverns and defeat create tek gear.

Sorry, had School. Now i want to re-iterate, imagine how BORING dinos would be without "Superpowers". Barys would just be swimming raptors instead of the manta and megaladon stunning mount we know them as. Basilos would just be weaker mosas instead of the CC immune whales with good regen. Daeadons would just be pigs instead of the incredibly useful Medic. Pachyrhinos would just be weaker trikes instead of the dino that lets you get past enemies undetected or lets even the most docile of creatures get mad at you. Thylas would just be quick mammles instead of the climbing ambushers that are great for travel. Tusos would just be squids instead of the Vampiric Cephalapods that can drain the life of even the largests of the ocean's beasts. if the only thing separating creatures was stats, then each dino creature would be lame. 

to put it bluntly, you're overthinking things, and this is coming from someone who tried to figure out Why wyvern's can't breed in Captivity and produce milk. I'm also trying to figure out the Chemicle composition of element. but that aside not every dino needs to do things like Pin prey, impale creatures, or Switch between bipedal or Quadpedal. If you do that, then nothing would be special. 

And in regards to your "camps" thing. Look through this thread, because I've seen most, if not all of it and you and @LinuxGyver are the only two people who want to reduce dinos to mundane models with stats. nearly every other of the 17 pages of posts is suggesting cool new abilities for dinos. so while your "camp" exists, it's seemingly only 1 or 2 tents.

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be really interesting to me if they could change the maps so that at random intervals a few of those drones that spawn in the ascension boss fight could randomly come out of the bottom of the obelisks or spawn in near them and hunt things down, including/especially players. The crawlers can focus on land creatures and the flying ones obviously flyers. It would give us flying mounters a threat to actually worry about. Maybe after an hour or so the ones that are still alive harvest whatever go back to the Obelisks to 'study the data they brought back.'

I think it would both give newer players a little glimps of the ascension fight they should be working towards and it also would help flesh out what is so far content you are likely to only see once and never really care about. It would also (IMO)  help give TEK weapons and armor in general much more of a purpose for everyday use outside of PVP.

BTW please buff Pachycephalous, make it a little bigger with higher stats so it's more of a mid-game mount.

Every time I post about the TLC update I can't help but praise the Devs for the marvelous work they've put on display. The new models are so much more refined, and the new abilities much appreciated.

But, I was thinking about where this all began. I remember when the Sabertooth model was reworked. I love the face and fur updates(the patterning is still a bit silly, especially in certain color combinations), and the animations are much more fluid and feline.

But of course, something bothered me then, and it's bothering me even more now with all the abilities being given the creatures. The model still retains it's very unfeline, cumbersomely big paws, with perpetually extended claws. This is one of the few things that really distinguishes cats from dogs in the first place; as a cat person, I have a bias against the wolf, and have always sided with the Saber, but I would love to be able to back that up with some interesting model & behavioral refinements.

I'm not talking anything big. I'd love to see the tail shortened to the length of an actual Sabertooth, but I can live with it the way it is. The only thing I really want is for the claws to be retracted by default, and only extended when sprinting, or attacking. 

In order to give the Saber a competing chance against the Wolf, with all it's abilities and it's intense damage output, I think an ability in line with the feline ability to retract their claws is in order. Maybe wild and tamed Sabers have some sort of natural ghillie value while walking, which stops other wild creatures from aggro until they're much closer than other carnivores. Then, if you manage to strike within a certain, very short period just after aggro, you get a very high damage bonus that lasts a short while.

In this way, the wolves will be outfitted for craftily tracking prey, while Sabers are built for silently stalking them. 

I really hope this idea seems interesting! Thank you for your time :) 

More accurate pounce for the mantis and kapro, and a stealth/pounce attack for sabers. (press c to sneak; reduced noise and aggro range, can pounce on prey and attach to it fir a few secs only from stealth mode, causing bleed effect)

Give mantis the ability to hold torches again please. Also, maybe give gigantopithecus the ability to hold them too?

Suggestion for all creatures without saddle; give them a "skins" slot to equip dino saddle skins anyway - wyvern with bunny ears? Direwolf with witch hat? also titano skin for brontos :)

Right klick claw attack for thylas (similar to ravager) why would it risk to hurt his head anyway when it has amazing claws?

Jerboa weather detection for island/center (at least rain on island) 

Slight insulation when riding mammoth/rhino/yuty (warm fur!)

Does the terrorbird have a kick attack already?

Quick life regen for Pelagornis when eating fish

Sand weight reduction for rock elementals

Tameable water/oil jug bug, shoulder mounted

Player gets small buff when traveling with pack animals (YOU are the alpha, after all)

If argents can carry things in their beak, will other flyers be able to do so too? At least quetz and wyvern (ok, wyvern teeth could be dangerous)?

Hyaenodon as "fridge" doesn't work for wyvern milk atm, can it be changed?

Less Thorny dragon tail movement. You need a lot of space if you don't want them to stick through your walls atm.

Give Araneo a climbing ability like megalania. Let it shoot webs (slow effect or bola)

Remove pteranodon teeth

Don't let "fish" die instantly when they leave water

Let beehives be placed on walls/ceilings too, like canvas :)

Parasaur pack bonus

Scorpion - Put sting and claw attack on different keys

Let karkinos attack while in falling animation

@Jatheish Please fix the AI for the Wyvern. I don't know if it qualifies for the "TLC Pass" or not but I just got a fire and lightning and started using them and LOVE them. BUT, if they are on the ground in shallow water and I or another tame of mine attack something the wyvern flies away. Yesterday it flew over a wild giga!!! luckily the giga didn't aggro on it for some reason but I literally almost had a heart attack. I now have it on follow which at least keeps it close when it inevitably flies away but when they hover over you they are too high to reach so that has killed me a few times...ugh. When you tell the wyvern to land using whistle command it doesn't land where you ask it to either. So it flies a ways away and I hope not to die trying to get back to it. I play single player and could just command stuff in if something was to die but I really like trying to play like on official. I enjoy the game like the official server is set however I hate losing stuff to BS AI "logic", glitches, etc. It really ruins the gameplay for me. The fire wyvern's fire attack also doesn't seem to hit every time either. Either make the hit box bigger or make the fire animation smaller because that is super annoying and a waste of stamina. OH and PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE can you make an option where the tamed unridden wyverns can use their element ability? I don't know if that's off on purpose for balance reasons but please make it a server option so for single player my unridden wyverns can use that ability it seems silly they just try to bite...

WYVERNS NEED A CHANGE

1 Better hitbox when breathing ice or fire

2 bigger colour palet  or mutated wyvern eggs ( example : red body parts on ice wyverns etc )

3 mutated wyvern eggs : like cmon  who doesnt want a mutated wyvern.. imagine a white/red ice wyvern... please put this in the game, atleast give us a chance that the egg containz a mut.. 

4 better landing system (still not fixed)

5 design change : they look retarded with their mouth open 24-7 and the fire wyverns needs a head change 

6 tek wyvern saddle

7 add wyrms and dragons to the game ;)

it would be cool to find wild baby creatures and no matter what creature it is, weather its a lystro to a giga, the mother will become agro onto you regardless. (Also why cant we carry lystros or medium to small baby creatures) and it would be cool if the trodons, megalania and megalosaurus were afraid of fire and torches.

On 1/30/2018 at 8:08 AM, Topherallen07 said:

Bigger Titanaboa Grab n squeeze attack, lose frill n poison, Let Troodons n Basilisk keep those. Raptor needs a big change i think they look silly, and maybe pounce attacks that pin you down for a few seconds.

This needs to happen to the titanaboa - it would be so easy - cut the frill, increase the size - remove the venom and replace it with a slowing effect that increases the longer you stay close to it.

The Pulminoscorpious needs some tlc!

I think its pinchers should be able to be used to "hang on" which could hold smaller things in place, and maybe make it able to latch onto bigger dinos, kind of like when a regular scorpion in real life attacks. 

also a more regular thing, why aren't scorpions breedable?

Its my favorite creature since ark came out!! They have little use currently. 

Thanks for reading!

1 hour ago, Umber0010 said:

i thought you where one of the people who wanted dino abilities to go away?

strawman argument. never said i wanted abilities removed, i said i wanted magical abilities, like healing and recruiting other species as allies to be removed and for common abilities to be shared across species.

btw - is that really how you run the game? (looking at your steam screenshots, looks like pixark came early :)) i feel bad for you man, no wonder you don't appreciate the potential for realism when you run the game in cartoon mode.

3 minutes ago, pixelrobot said:

strawman argument. never said i wanted abilities removed, i said i wanted magical abilities, like healing and recruiting other species as allies to be removed and for common abilities to be shared across species.

btw - is that really how you run the game? (looking at your steam screenshots, looks like pixark came early :)) i feel bad for you man, no wonder you don't appreciate the potential for realism when you run the game in cartoon mode.

yeah, i get that a lot. you get used to it. Also, i am curious whether you're looking for "realism" or "immersion" if you want realism, (may have already said this) i recommend Saurian. the developers are a whole 'nother level of Passionate. and it is easily the most realistic game you will ever see on the market until we invent time machines. and i mean seriously, from dino models, all the way down to the plant life.

However, if you want immersion, then you are breaking it yourself here. Ever heard of "suspension of disbelief"? if you haven't there are a couple definitions, but i think the one that does best here is "sacrifice of realism and logic for the sake of enjoyment". while you may find it hard to belive that a daeodon can heal allies, a thylacoleo can punch and pin, but other dinos can't, or how the Yuty can earn the trust of different dino species. but if you where to just let that go, even if it was just while playing, i'd guarantee that you'd have a much better time. (although to be fair, i'd imagine this is easier on aps like SE, rag, and Aberration, sense those have more fantasy and sci-fi features"

4 minutes ago, Umber0010 said:

yeah, i get that a lot. you get used to it. Also, i am curious whether you're looking for "realism" or "immersion" if you want realism, (may have already said this) i recommend Saurian. the developers are a whole 'nother level of Passionate. and it is easily the most realistic game you will ever see on the market until we invent time machines. and i mean seriously, from dino models, all the way down to the plant life.

However, if you want immersion, then you are breaking it yourself here. Ever heard of "suspension of disbelief"? if you haven't there are a couple definitions, but i think the one that does best here is "sacrifice of realism and logic for the sake of enjoyment". while you may find it hard to belive that a daeodon can heal allies, a thylacoleo can punch and pin, but other dinos can't, or how the Yuty can earn the trust of different dino species. but if you where to just let that go, even if it was just while playing, i'd guarantee that you'd have a much better time. (although to be fair, i'd imagine this is easier on aps like SE, rag, and Aberration, sense those have more fantasy and sci-fi features"

Saurian looks great but I promised myself I wouldn't buy early access again. I'd rather play as a human though, makes the experience more immersive for me and i was a big dino riders fan growing up. I'll probably check it out once it's done though.

I'm all for suspending disbelief if it's convincing, and presented well - but things glowing "so you know it's there" seems lazy to me and takes me out of the world and reminds me it's a game.

Also i think sometimes realism is cooler. For example the titanoboa that actually existed was much larger than the one we have in ark. Personally I think a giant monster waiting to ambush you in the swamps is much scarier than a slightly larger than life python that slithers brainlessly towards you and is easily piked and killed.

Making it larger would also allow for you to ride it, which is cooler in it's own right - AND it would actually serve a purpose other than laying eggs (which is the only utility they have at the moment)

1 minute ago, pixelrobot said:

Saurian looks great but I promised myself I wouldn't buy early access again. I'd rather play as a human though, makes the experience more immersive for me and i was a big dino riders fan growing up. I'll probably check it out once it's done though.

I'm all for suspending disbelief if it's convincing, and presented well - but things glowing "so you know it's there" seems lazy to me and takes me out of the world and reminds me it's a game.

Also i think sometimes realism is cooler. For example the titanoboa that actually existed was much larger than the one we have in ark. Personally I think a giant monster waiting to ambush you in the swamps is much scarier than a slightly larger than life python that slithers brainlessly towards you and is easily piked and killed.

Making it larger would also allow for you to ride it, which is cooler in it's own right - AND it would actually serve a purpose other than laying eggs (which is the only utility they have at the moment)

actually, i heard that ARK's titanoboa and Megaladon are some of the more realistic sized creatures, and that everything else is WAY bigger than they where IRL. could be wrong, but i heard that Allosaurus is 90 feet long!

Another thing that I believe the giganto should be able to do is hold weapons and tools in it's hand like the Mantis and perhaps even have an offhand slot for shields. Could even make it so it can't wield tools or just make it so it can not harvest but have it be able to hold weapons and shield to make it combat focused.

5 hours ago, Umber0010 said:

actually, i heard that ARK's titanoboa and Megaladon are some of the more realistic sized creatures, and that everything else is WAY bigger than they where IRL. could be wrong, but i heard that Allosaurus is 90 feet long!

Some are bigger, some are smaller. Thylacoleo for one is much bigger than it actually was, but things like Iguanodon and Parasaurolophus are actually smaller than what the usually shown species are. Granted, there are many species of Iguanodon, some smaller, but larger ones were at 9 meters long. In no way is ARK Iguana that large.

I'm actually personally annoyed by the Hyeanodon of the game. They made several mistakes it (from my point fo view anyway). For one, they were NOT hyenas, and should not look like hyenas. Hyeanodon was a weird looking critter, with a hige head, and it did not have a sloping back. It also had a smaller brain than you'd think, and would have been a solitary predator most likely. I say nothing about the size, since there were several species of Hyeanodon, some smaller, some larger, than our game hyena. I'd rather see a new Hyeanodon that looks and acts like it should instead, and have the current one turned into a Cave Hyena.

• Jatheish locked and unlocked this topic
  • Jatheish unpinned and unfeatured this topic

Archived