Dino TLC: Feedback! Suggestions?

Jatheish

Hi all,

Just been watching all the news and updates for TLC #2 on YouTube and I’m pretty psyched. (Xbox player so don’t have it yet).

I’m hoping the fun doesn’t stop there, as there are still some old school dinos which need some loving in my opinion.

Im fascinated (but also terrified) of the sea on ARK (love going balls deep) but have a lot of love for Megalodon and the Plesi. 

I think the Megalodon model needs to be bigger and their numbers need trimming (they’re basically just like sea raptors at the moment). Make them bigger, bolder and tougher and with some kind of inflict bleeding attack and maybe also a breach attack (opposite of Griffin). They should be scary, not just a nuisance. 

The Plesi I also think looks a bit derpy. I tamed my first one last year (just before I took a break from the game) and was pretty underwhelmed by its head and face, which looks like deadmau5. 

As far as land dinos go - the Pachy, a personal favourite Dino, really has no use in the game and it’s sad. Give it some kind of damage Stone ability or make it better at fighting, as this was what this dino was all about. 

I can’t wait to get back into ark in April and see what all my old dinos have changed into (Spinos and Argys especially). I played the Center for a long time but will be renting a Ragnarok server with some buddies and looking for some others to join as well. :) 

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would it be possible to breed More creatures?  Crabs, scorpions, snakes, Griffins? etc.  To some degree I am OK with there not be breeding for some creatures like the wyvern which seems appropriately balanced with the increased level and could lead to overpopulation and server stress.  For the animals that lay multiple eggs like the insects, perhaps some kind of system where a batch are born but not all survive and some kind of minigame to keep the ones you want alive.  You guys develop some really fun mechanics so any of my recommendations would be amateurish.  

Also, I mentioned this in a prior post, and by the way thank you for fixing the anky hit box in the aberration red zone, but if you can do something to make the giga more than a trophy for those in single player and pve.  Reintroduce the possibility for use in boss fights perhaps?

Thank you for the wonderful game!

I love the new Argent. The beak grabbing is cool and what about the weight increase and saddle-smithy? I am just confused about the claws grabbing: it's cool to add the equus and other dinos but are you devs going to re-enable the old list (carrying hyenas, moschops....)  

I am just curious. One can always adapt to new realities.

21 hours ago, Onimusha759 said:

Have you been in a cave with a decent amount of centipedes with a wolf bary or raptor?  Have you attacked a family of kents with a combat/scout flyer?  My guess is no because the reflect shreds your mounts hp.  These reflections are 25%(1/4).  Now your suggesting to give a tank dino, meaning large hp pools compared to the other 2, an even more powerful reflect then the current two.  Wouldnt suprise me if 1 family of anks would kill a mount.  Lets not forget the giga is worthless against any reflecting creature because of rage.  This shouldnt be common.  The gigas barred from boss battles and is only good as a kamikaze shock trooper in raids, i dont agree with limiting its farming utility with making a common animal a no touch zone for it.  Wiping mountains to tame gigas or rexes would also get nailed really hard by this.  Not to mention the anks dmg output is higher then either the kent or athro.  "hey look its a group of anks, an upper 30s saddle creature, we cant kill it tho." "why captain?"  "because none of us are in the 80s yet to craft a rocket launcher(because that be about your option to deal with a huge and almost endless reflect if you used a dino and dont want to spen the next hour killing dinos and feeding your mount)."  so unbalance the giga more and make mountain wipes heck, do we really need more reasons to not do this.  The fact we bust our butts to get a giga and the fact the apex has lil use and this idea lowers it further should be enough deterrent to any tamers out there.

Whoa whoa whoa, calm down, please.

First, I was agreeing with a post that was said before me. It feels, to me, like an Anky should have reflect damage. It is covered in spikes, after all. Maybe if it did, it wouldn't need such a big health pool? Maybe 1/3 reflection damage is too much, and that would be up for debate. But you're not debating here, you're straight up attacking me.

I have done caves, and Arthro are little problem for a Survivor with a swarm of trained Dimophs and a shotgun. No Wolf, Bary or Raptor required.

Who the hell goes up against a family of Kentros with a flyer? It's possible to take on three families with one Yuty. Taking a flyer is a bad decision. 

Gigas I couldn't care less about, I do admit. They're a threat in the wild, but not when tamed, and somehow I think that might be the idea. Players would get mad if you straight up couldn't tame something as powerful as a Giga, so instead they get nerfed into the ground when tamed, which acts as a deterrent. Just leave them wild, get a Rex instead.

What do you mean, "making a common animal a no touch zone?" This sentence makes no sense.

Removing some farming utility from the Anky wouldn't have too much of an impact overall. And it doesn't even make sense that the Anky be at all good at harvesting rare mushrooms or flowers. Everything else, sure, but mushrooms and flowers? Nah.

Why would you bother wiping a mountain to tame a Giga or Rex? That doesn't make any sense, just get some Raw Mutton and clear the closest aggressive creatures, aha. Or get yourself a strong ground mount and have some fun. 

And no, you wouldn't need a rocket launcher to kill an Anky with reflect damage. Crossbows exist, and do solid damage at higher qualities.

But after all this, I still want to ask, why are you so angry over an idea? Debate it, don't mash the keyboard and pour your rage into the internet's fibers. It won't get you anywhere.

5 hours ago, Karma Dragonia said:

Whoa whoa whoa, calm down, please.

First, I was agreeing with a post that was said before me. It feels, to me, like an Anky should have reflect damage. It is covered in spikes, after all. Maybe if it did, it wouldn't need such a big health pool? Maybe 1/3 reflection damage is too much, and that would be up for debate. But you're not debating here, you're straight up attacking me.

I have done caves, and Arthro are little problem for a Survivor with a swarm of trained Dimophs and a shotgun. No Wolf, Bary or Raptor required.

Who the hell goes up against a family of Kentros with a flyer? It's possible to take on three families with one Yuty. Taking a flyer is a bad decision. 

Gigas I couldn't care less about, I do admit. They're a threat in the wild, but not when tamed, and somehow I think that might be the idea. Players would get mad if you straight up couldn't tame something as powerful as a Giga, so instead they get nerfed into the ground when tamed, which acts as a deterrent. Just leave them wild, get a Rex instead.

What do you mean, "making a common animal a no touch zone?" This sentence makes no sense.

Removing some farming utility from the Anky wouldn't have too much of an impact overall. And it doesn't even make sense that the Anky be at all good at harvesting rare mushrooms or flowers. Everything else, sure, but mushrooms and flowers? Nah.

Why would you bother wiping a mountain to tame a Giga or Rex? That doesn't make any sense, just get some Raw Mutton and clear the closest aggressive creatures, aha. Or get yourself a strong ground mount and have some fun. 

And no, you wouldn't need a rocket launcher to kill an Anky with reflect damage. Crossbows exist, and do solid damage at higher qualities.

But after all this, I still want to ask, why are you so angry over an idea? Debate it, don't mash the keyboard and pour your rage into the internet's fibers. It won't get you anywhere.

1st of the gigas lack of utility and the blatant slap to the face when you tame it gets under my skin massively.  When i bust my nads to get to lvl 96 and the mighty apex is so worthless afterwards kinda ticks me off.  The reflect on anks would make it a no touch zone as in for gigas biting it=Rage overload.  And like i mentioned before anks have more hp then many creatures so trying to kill a family of them is gonna cause  a significant amount of reflect dmg in the fight before its over meaning im gonna be bored out of my mind healing the dmg done spamming meat down my dinos throat.  Either you dont understand the concept of wiping wilds for new spawns or you haven't done the end game.  The last option is you play singleplayer or dedicated with increased power to your dinos.  That can happen without even knowing ot because around rag release they added an option that was set to on automatically which really buffs your dinos so no breeding is required to kill alpha bosses.  You wipe areas where gigas or rexes spawn so rexes and will spawn, dont like these ones either, wipe it again.  Ankylos are in this area quite commonly so youd have to wipe them also or youd eventually have a mountain of ankylos.  Now take your yuty and lets see it wipe the hole mountain area, now scout and wipe it again and again, loop after loop.  Now you understand why i use a bird, it way faster and if i find something i want i can leave without aggroing it and causing its despawn timer to speed up.  We do this for rex because we need rexes with a lot of points in one stat so it can transfer that to an offspring with another parent with another huge stat.  Without the huge buff (which destroys the game basically) you literally have to get good bred rexes for boss battles.  This process can get very boring and healing even more so during the process.  I dont think increasing how much more downtime we have to take in this snoozefest process is a good idea.  I dont like losing dinos and between lava and reflect im sure you lose a few of your bred(1 i bred would be even worse) lil cave flyers.  I prefer something under my direct control and can swim since you cant do a few caves without fully submerging.  The mountain wipe for gigas is necessary because most are low level and since they get nerfed so hard you have to go big if you get 1.  Reflect is a very powerful ability and should not be common, anks are common.  I like almost every idea in your head but this games quickly going from fun to a pain in the butt.  Im an adult with pains i deal with every day.  I grew up when games were supposed to be fun, not a pain in the butt.  The fact a fellow gamer is suggesting something thats gonna be rather bothersome to the development team which certainly doesnt need help in doing that is like high treason lol.  Even if they would do the reflect, 33% is a bad choice considering the kent does 25% and its spikes are like 10x bigger.  Reflect and bleed are rare because they are insanely powerful and it should remain rare.  So you dont go rex hunting or like gigas, think about people who do and the long term effects.  If your argument is i want this because it wont hurt me then a debate in a diplomatic way isnt even possible because of your view point.  Note i dont think your actually like arguing that particular reason.

3 hours ago, Onimusha759 said:

1st of the gigas lack of utility and the blatant slap to the face when you tame it gets under my skin massively.  When i bust my nads to get to lvl 96 and the mighty apex is so worthless afterwards kinda ticks me off.  The reflect on anks would make it a no touch zone as in for gigas biting it=Rage overload.  And like i mentioned before anks have more hp then many creatures so trying to kill a family of them is gonna cause  a significant amount of reflect dmg in the fight before its over meaning im gonna be bored out of my mind healing the dmg done spamming meat down my dinos throat.  Either you dont understand the concept of wiping wilds for new spawns or you haven't done the end game.  The last option is you play singleplayer or dedicated with increased power to your dinos.  That can happen without even knowing ot because around rag release they added an option that was set to on automatically which really buffs your dinos so no breeding is required to kill alpha bosses.  You wipe areas where gigas or rexes spawn so rexes and will spawn, dont like these ones either, wipe it again.  Ankylos are in this area quite commonly so youd have to wipe them also or youd eventually have a mountain of ankylos.  Now take your yuty and lets see it wipe the hole mountain area, now scout and wipe it again and again, loop after loop.  Now you understand why i use a bird, it way faster and if i find something i want i can leave without aggroing it and causing its despawn timer to speed up.  We do this for rex because we need rexes with a lot of points in one stat so it can transfer that to an offspring with another parent with another huge stat.  Without the huge buff (which destroys the game basically) you literally have to get good bred rexes for boss battles.  This process can get very boring and healing even more so during the process.  I dont think increasing how much more downtime we have to take in this snoozefest process is a good idea.  I dont like losing dinos and between lava and reflect im sure you lose a few of your bred(1 i bred would be even worse) lil cave flyers.  I prefer something under my direct control and can swim since you cant do a few caves without fully submerging.  The mountain wipe for gigas is necessary because most are low level and since they get nerfed so hard you have to go big if you get 1.  Reflect is a very powerful ability and should not be common, anks are common.  I like almost every idea in your head but this games quickly going from fun to a pain in the butt.  Im an adult with pains i deal with every day.  I grew up when games were supposed to be fun, not a pain in the butt.  The fact a fellow gamer is suggesting something thats gonna be rather bothersome to the development team which certainly doesnt need help in doing that is like high treason lol.  Even if they would do the reflect, 33% is a bad choice considering the kent does 25% and its spikes are like 10x bigger.  Reflect and bleed are rare because they are insanely powerful and it should remain rare.  So you dont go rex hunting or like gigas, think about people who do and the long term effects.  If your argument is i want this because it wont hurt me then a debate in a diplomatic way isnt even possible because of your view point.  Note i dont think your actually like arguing that particular reason.

The Giga really needs one tiny little fix which would make it literally a million times more viable... LET US PUMP STAMINA!!!  The stamina on gigas is freaking horrible and makes it almost impossible to use them as an actual mounted Dino.  After imprinting and all that stuff gigas get tons better, but they still can never get a decent stamina stat.  You could pump every point  you have into stamina on a giga and they still wouldn't be able to take three steps without emptying their entire stamina bar.  400 stamina is all they get, really?

On 3/24/2018 at 8:55 PM, DomiDarko said:

I'm ok with the Spino, Raptor and Argentavis but the Trike and Sarco are still useless.

The Trike's ram attack does less damage than a normal one? Totally makes sense... :D The rivalry buff isn't really worth it as well. Only 10% on melee is not enough.

The Sarco still has the pity aoe and the deathroll + lunge attack seem to be just visual things that look different. Not a huge difference from the normal attack.

The Sarco is the biggest letdown imo

The Deathroll seems like it's just copy pasted from the ptera's barrel roll.

This video explains it.

tlc 2 was definitely a mixed bag - the spino, raptor and argent all look great - but the trike should have been moved up to a later game tame and given a size and strength boost, the parasaur NEEDS a new model (loving the functionality though) and the sarcos death roll looks very cartoonish and should only be able to be activated when in the water.

On 2/20/2018 at 9:24 AM, MaiynLaeth said:

What about adding some larger trees with limbs you can perch on while riding a bird. They have large unharvestable trees in the redwoods so having some in the normal forests would be good for this. And make it so that wild birds will perch from time to time.

Also fixing the crash issue with ragnarok viking bay would be great.

My base is in viking bay :( i haven't been able to play Ragnarok in months. I cant stay in long enough to build a base elsewhere. Ragnarok just causes Ark to crash.

So can we get an official response to the literal years of players requesting simple things like DINO HUNGER, FOOD CHAINS, HERDS AND SLEEPING for all creatures across the ark? some of these have been achieved by mods, others are in light and dark (if the herds in the trailer arent just fluff).

Just got gang banged by a team or raptors and troodons who worked together despite being completely different species -  and please, no piss poor "It's ark lore" replies.

Yeah the dinos get stuck on eachother because they are actually holograms and created by the shield droids from the phantom menace... b please.

7 hours ago, pixelrobot said:

So can we get an official response to the literal years of players requesting simple things like DINO HUNGER, FOOD CHAINS, HERDS AND SLEEPING for all creatures across the ark? some of these have been achieved by mods, others are in light and dark (if the herds in the trailer arent just fluff).

Just got gang banged by a team or raptors and troodons who worked together despite being completely different species -  and please, no piss poor "It's ark lore" replies.

Yeah the dinos get stuck on eachother because they are actually holograms and created by the shield droids from the phantom menace... b please.

I agree. Allosaurs wouldn't be stepping on the toes of a rex, and a rex wouldn't let any of other predators in its territory. All predators see anything smaller than them, predator or prey, as prey, and anything bigger as a threat, with the exception of things like packs of raptors against a trike/stego, or a rex against a bronto.

5 minutes ago, SubtendedCrib8 said:

I agree. Allosaurs wouldn't be stepping on the toes of a rex, and a rex wouldn't let any of other predators in its territory. All predators see anything smaller than them, predator or prey, as prey, and anything bigger as a threat, with the exception of things like packs of raptors against a trike/stego, or a rex against a bronto.

Agreed, the horrible AI these dinos have is insanely sad.  The Isle is like a year from being released from its early access state and their AI is way beyond this games.

The update for the Spino is awesome. It really brings the big guy in to the picture. I would however love to see the Rex getting a little love. If anything, on it's turning radius. There is no way a lone Sabertooth or Raptor is supposed to kill a Rex, but it happens now with the small animal just getting in behind and inbetween the Rex's legs, and it is done. Can't do anything but slowly die. 

2 hours ago, Marinxar said:

The update for the Spino is awesome. It really brings the big guy in to the picture. I would however love to see the Rex getting a little love. If anything, on it's turning radius. There is no way a lone Sabertooth or Raptor is supposed to kill a Rex, but it happens now with the small animal just getting in behind and inbetween the Rex's legs, and it is done. Can't do anything but slowly die. 

this - they need to give dinos a broader radius of attack similar to the giga.

I don't get what's taking so long to change the obviously meaningless creature in ark's water since the very beginning - the megalodon. I mean here's a thing that hunted everything but in ark is a squeashy oversized piranha. Even if I presume that having the RL megalodon was not the plan the game devs had, they are even pointless from the predator and prey angle. The only sea creature the supposed "shark" beats are coelacanths. Even an equal level manta beats the shark.

The itchys may be less powerful but its speed and torpor buffs make up for it. In the wild the megalodons swarm the ocean, probably more than coelacanths do and that is irritating. As a tame its a waste if they keep dying before even the owner got some fun moments with it.

Among the ark creatures that need love, megalodon top the list. Over time as newer sea creatures were introduced, literally all outclassed ark's "shark" in terms of Melee/DPS so that's a must. But more than attack buff, it needs some immunity or at least lessen the vulnerability to electrophorus and cnidaria. Spawn rate must be reduced, increase more coelacanths in the ocean, increase the spawn rate of plesiosaurs to balance the variety of life in the sea. Lastly the looks of the megalodon must be looked into - sharks are highly streamlined and hence faster efficient swimmers - ark's shark is neither.

13 minutes ago, Anik8 said:

I don't get what's taking so long to change the obviously meaningless creature in ark's water since the very beginning - the megalodon. I mean here's a thing that hunted everything but in ark is a squeashy oversized piranha. Even if I presume that having the RL megalodon was not the plan the game devs had, they are even pointless from the predator and prey angle. The sea creature the supposed "shark" beats are coelacanths. Even an equal level manta beats the shark.

The itchys may be less powerful but its speed and torpor buffs make up for it. In the wild the megalodons swarm the ocean, probably more than coelacanths do and thatts irritating. As a tame its a waste if they keep dying before even the owner got some fun moments with it.

Among the ark creatures that need love, megalodon top the list. Over time as newer sea creatures were introduced, literally all outclassed ark's "shark" in terms of Melee/DPS so that's a must. But more than attack buff, it needs some immunity or at least lessen the vulnerability to electrophorus and cnidaria. Spawn rate must be reduced, increase more coelacanths in the ocean, increase the spawn rate of plesiosaurs to balance the variety of life in the sea. Lastly the looks of the megalodon must be looked into - sharks are highly streamlined and hence faster efficient swimmers - ark's shark is neither.

The megalodon seems closest to the great white which irl is an ambush from below type, hence its top speed isnt that impressive and only used for breaching.  Not all sharks are that streamlined, great whites are bulky, if you want a speed shark youd have to go with a tiger or mako shark.  Realism wise, besides the size problem the megalodon is pretty accurate.  As for shark vs ray(Irl mants dont have stingers, arnt hostile) the two have comparable dmg, shark has more hp and weight and it cant suicide itself so easily.

• Jatheish unpinned and unfeatured this topic

Archived