Dino TLC: Feedback! Suggestions?

Jatheish

34 minutes ago, TheRealSnek said:

No I mean the Parasaur. It’s getting a tlc buff that will allow it to scare small dinosaurs away with a roar. It’s shown that it can scare raptors but I think it’s a little too strong. It should atleast have some sort of cool down

btw I’m loving the new TLC dinosaurs. You guys really are listening to all of our suggestions!

Ahh ok, ya i totally agree then.  When i think natural predator to the parasaur i think raptor.

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do like the idea of Carno, Allosaurus, Megalosaurus TLC that the user TheCryptoSorrow proposed. I have 750 hours at official PvP server and I can say that 99% ground fights are dumb face to face struggles (including hunting wild animals). It would be great if medium sized Carnos had a special ability to accelerate and catch up the victim with a heavy strike.

I do like the idea of Stego improvement too. Currently, the only purpose of Stego is to drain turrets. Stego charge speed boost can compensate its generally low speed a bit. The idea of protecting player from dismounts looks good. It would be nice to add a pack bonus for Stegos and an opportunity to make on of them a pack leader (analogue of how Ravagers do).  Stego pack leader may have some defense bonuses instead of attacking abilities. Improved armour, regeneration may be.

However, none of this improvements will make Stego a battle mount. It will always stay a siege/defense thing regardless of how strong it is unless it can beat a 290 LVL wyvern face to face. There is a rule #1 in ARK PVP: everything that you can outrun pose no threat to you. 

I dont like the idea of adding a charge/dive to wyverns. They are completely OP and this will make them even more OP.

Some more suggestions...

Paracer:

1) Overall, not much is needed for the Paracer. Like the Quetzal, its grainy, bumpy-looking model and textures could use a rework, to pull it into line with more recent creatures. Its animations currently look quite stiff and limited, so I feel those could use some polish, especially its ‘shuffling’ sprint.

2) I also have an idea for an improvement to its attacks. Its primary attack stays the same, where it raises both its front feet and slams them down to deal damage to anything within a small radius of the impact. But then it could have a secondary attack where it rapidly raises its front feet in an alternating rhythm, like a stationary march, beating the ground like a drum. This could have one of two effects (I can’t decide which I personally prefer, but only one should be implemented in game). One, it could cause an effect like an earthquake on Aberration, localised to a small radius, that makes enemies dizzy, OR, it could cause an effect like an earthquake on Aberration, localised to a small radius, that deals significant, sustained damage in a very short amount of time at a high cost to stamina (again I can’t decide which option I prefer). Or two, it could provide a defensive ‘war drum’ buff to nearby allies reducing their damage taken by, I dunno, 15% maybe. Or some more balanced percentage. Sorry, I’m not very good with numbers. :$ I understand that the Paracer’s strength comes from its tanking ability and its platform saddle, but at the same time I feel like its vanilla attack is a little underwhelming for something that stands so large and imposing across the landscape.

Oviraptor:

Please allow the Oviraptor to collect unfertilized eggs while on Wander, and give it a significant weight reduction for eggs in its inventory. I was surprised and disappointed that these weren’t features to begin with.

There also appears to be a bug where the Oviraptor cannot walk through standard sized doorframes, which doesn’t make sense when creatures larger than it can (i.e. Raptor).

Dung Beetle

Like the Oviraptor, please allow the Dung Beetle to collect poop automatically while on Wander, and adjust its mechanics so that it doesn’t have to be on Wander to turn faeces into fertilizer. This way, it’ll stop moving when it can’t carry anymore raw faeces and instead focus on turning what it has into fertilizer.

Also, please prevent the Dung Beetle from being able to miraculously climb over one-high railings. That is definitely not ok - they won’t stay behind my pretty little white garden fence!

Hyenodon:

Please fix the dossier; the information in it is incorrect in regards to its spawn locations. It still says that they spawn in the tundras, when they don’t. Also, why do they drop keratin? They don’t have significant bony growths anywhere on their body, and plenty of other creatures drop it, so there is no shortage of the resource.

Carbonemys:

1) Another of the most requested dino TLC candidates, it seems. I fully agree with other posters who request a texture, model, animation and sound rework for it. In particular, sprinting with it as a mount makes the rider practically vibrate on its back, because its waddling sprint animation has been so sped up. Humorous, but could be reworked into something more sensible.

2) Carbonemys’ dossier states twice that is has a ‘surprisingly fast swim speed’, though this is not really true in-game. I feel like this could be a relevant buff, giving it a solid niche as an early game amphibious mount (other amphibious mounts spawn in the swamp biome, which is nearly impossible for early game players to explore and survive in).

3) I would also like to second the idea that Carbonemys gain some kind of buff or resilience against jellyfish, as that would make it genuinely worthwhile to tame in the time before the player can get a Basilo.

4) And, of course, it goes without saying that everyone’s favourite turtle deserves the shell retract ability that was promised eons ago. <3

Parasaur:

I am disappointed that there is no visual update planned for the Parasaur, since I feel it could use a little touch up and a cleaner design. In particular, I don’t like the odd tooth-y spikes on its legs and shoulders. But otherwise, I am super excited to try out its new abilities!

3 hours ago, Karma Dragonia said:

There also appears to be a bug where the Oviraptor cannot walk through standard sized doorframes, which doesn’t make sense when creatures larger than it can (i.e. Raptor).

Raptors dont fit thru door frames, or not all of them.  My allo trap on the center consists of 1 stone dino gate and the rest is stone fence foundation with stone door frames.  I led a 150 raptor into it and it couldnt escape.  I then tried to lead it out of it after tame and it couldnt go thru the door even tho it was obviously small enough.  It was literally stuck on nothing lol.  I have a makeshift mating pen on the side of my house made of thatch ceilings and thatch door frames.  I have to cram my raptor in the 1 frame to make many dinos stay in mate range(this could use a fix).  Funny thing is my raptor can go fully thru this frame but i assumed its because the frame doesn't touch the ground.

I was expecting more things to be updated. like a C attack to be given to more creatures :(

I think many of us are expecting things like ptera, quetz, dimorph, (all flyers hmm) and anklyo

also, wasn't the mammoth supposed to have something to do with their huge tusk?

TLC is good. I like them all. except for wild raptors. I hate getting pinned by alpha raptors ;-;

1 minute ago, Wazzamaniac said:

Yes, and also replying to OP I am told alpha raptors do not pin.

The devs paused tlc to focus on bug fixes and quality of life fixes, maybe they wi come back to it.

this is good news I would love to see a remodelled compy :D

wait so I need to be careful of flying raptors off a cliff now? is this ark: kung fu evolved  D:

2 minutes ago, HiImZech said:

don't think so it's not in the patch notes...

and I hope not I like to run around on a wyvern I don't want to get ambushed by a raptor off a cliff and then get killed off the mount

I would assume it's like the other creatures that knock you off where they only knock you off smaller mounts. Like they wouldn't knock you off a rex but would off another raptor?

On 3/5/2018 at 1:23 AM, DarkRaptor13 said:

More powerful gigas ? I think that's a bad idea as many people complain of tribes with giga armies... but yes it need a new model, scarier and looking more powerful (small spikes or something to make his skin less sweet. Maybe Indominus or Zilla parts like claws or teeth...)

Maybe Tamed Gigas should be as powerful as wild ones but both should rage easier. 

Well, no. Wild gigas are the DEFINITION of unbalanced and disappointing when tamed. 80K+HP, huge melee, gnash attack, all gne down the drain when tamed, leaving it a 17K HP, 25% melee shell of itself. Give wildtamed Gigas 30K HP and lower Wild gigas to 50K HP at MOST.

On 20/03/2018 at 8:50 PM, Onimusha759 said:

Raptors dont fit thru door frames, or not all of them.  My allo trap on the center consists of 1 stone dino gate and the rest is stone fence foundation with stone door frames.  I led a 150 raptor into it and it couldnt escape.  I then tried to lead it out of it after tame and it couldnt go thru the door even tho it was obviously small enough.  It was literally stuck on nothing lol.  I have a makeshift mating pen on the side of my house made of thatch ceilings and thatch door frames.  I have to cram my raptor in the 1 frame to make many dinos stay in mate range(this could use a fix).  Funny thing is my raptor can go fully thru this frame but i assumed its because the frame doesn't touch the ground.

I remember one of my old tribe mates riding their favorite raptor right into the main room of the house, and how it pissed me off to no end. They even changed my building design to accomodate a two-wall-high doorframe (one wooden doorframe stacked on another) so they could ride it in without clipping through a wall. 

:Jerbmad:

(This was quite a long time ago, however. It may have already changed, I don't really tame raptors and so can't really find out.)

Managed to put some more TLC ideas into words...

Bronto:

1) I feel it would benefit from a texture, model, animation and sound update. The texture especially is bland, shiny and plastic-y, and doesn’t carry the same detailed wrinkles and ‘sag’ as the current TLC-treated creatures. Its face could look less gaunt and skeletal, while its eyes make me uneasy with how humanoid they look.

2) I feel like it should be easier for the Bronto to knock over or bowl through trees and rocks in their way, so that they have a more significant impact in shaping the landscape around them. This would also make it easier to drive them through more densely wooded and rocky areas, and compensate for their extremely slow movement speed. Currently, nothing is more annoying than trying to take a Bronto along a beach, only to get stuck on a palm tree and have to wait for it to be knocked over before you can keep moving again. I know the process of knocking over trees doesn’t take that long, but when you’re on such a slow creature, every second counts!

3) It has been said before, and I would like to formally agree; the Bronto should be able to carry stacks of berries to a higher maximum than any other creature, thus reinforcing its place as the top-tier berry harvester.

4) Please let our long-necked friends roar on command!

5) I feel the Bronto could use some tweaks to its attacks. Its tail whip could use a more accurate and intuitive hitbox, as many times I have been hit and knocked back when I was sure I hadn’t been within the radius. If this also means it has a harder time dealing with airborne threats, then I feel that would be appropriate. Big slow tank < faster, more agile air assault vehicles.

6) I would also like to support the idea of a Stomp attack for the Bronto. It would be incredible to see a Bronto rock back on its hind legs and the trunk of its tail, before using its momentum to throw itself forwards, slamming the ground with a dust cloud effect and a shockwave/stun akin to an Aberration earthquake. The stomp attack could completely demolish shrubs and small rocks within a localised radius, and do significant damage to any creature or survivor unlucky enough to be caught in it. As a trade off, perhaps it cannot harvest berries this way? Or it takes a significant chunk of stamina to execute?

7) The effect of damaging creatures that get under its feet when it is passively walking around would benefit from some increased consistency. I’ve found it’s actually quite rare for any creature to suffer damage from a moving Bronto, which is sad when that feature of its design is really interesting strategically. Currently, it’s really easy to hide under a wild Bronto to escape a larger predator, but if there was an increased risk of injury, it’d make players think twice about using the Bronto as an unwitting meat shield.

Diplodocus:

1) Despite being a newer addition to the game, its textures and model could benefit from some attention. In particular, the black ‘holes’ on its skin texture, where the spines down its back are supposed to line up, are slightly off and visible. In the same vein as the Bronto, I personally find the Diplo’s eyes to be unnervingly humanoid. I also feel it could be improved with more defined wrinkles and a heavier ‘sagging’ effect, again, same as the Bronto. Where are its ear holes? Why does the line for its mouth go so far back towards its neck when it is incapable of opening its mouth that wide?

2) There is a visual bug with the Diplo’s tail - when it swings back and forth, most notably when it is passive and idle, there is a stretching, ‘fan’ effect on the end, as though one vertex of the polygon mesh has not been animated properly, and is being left to lag behind in the movement of the tail swing. I’m not really sure if this is what is happening tbh, I never did pass my old computer animation classes, but I don’t know how else to describe the effect. :P

3) I have read many complaints about the lack of actual damage that the knockback attack does, and I would like to formally counter-argue this point. I really like the fact that the Diplo is totally harmless and does no damage whatsoever. It is a nice gimmick that really sets it apart from other creatures, though I would like to suggest some improvements;

4) The animation, sound and sheer force of the attack’s knockback does NOT feel at all passive, in fact, quite the opposite. The animation is not gentle and playful, but comes across as an aggressive, genuine attack. The sound is more like a grunt, which compounds the misunderstanding. I acknowledge that the knockback cannot be altered, as when the creature is tamed its knockback becomes incredibly useful, but if the sound was more upbeat and ‘chirpy’ suggesting a playful, puppy-like happiness, and the animation more like how a horse might nuzzle and nudge at their rider, then that would go a long way to more accurately expressing the creature’s intention of kindness and play.

5) I support the suggestions of a secondary tail whip attack for the Diplo, though I believe it should do no damage whatsoever, but only do a knockback, same as the head attack. My reasoning, other than the fact that I enjoy the Diplo’s passive, air-headed nature, is that it is incredibly difficult to try and turn the creature around to perform a knockback on something attacking it from behind. If it could cover itself 360o with a knockback effect, 180o controlled by the head attack and 180o controlled by a similar tail knockback, then it would really help the Diplo with self-defence. And who’s to say it wouldn’t try and cuddle you with its tail?

Angler:

1) My biggest complaint about the Angler is that not enough of them spawn in the ocean (on the Island) – for me, they have always been a rare sight, whereas I believe they should be a staple in the deepest depths. Please consider increasing the frequency of their spawns, making them more common the deeper you go.

2) The Angler should passively attract smaller sea creatures, like Coel, Manta, Ammonites and Icthy. It states on the Wiki that wild Angler are attracted to the light of a tamed Angler, but this feature defies reasonable logic. Why would an Angler be lured by the light of one of its own? Surely it would know to stay away? I feel it would make more sense to have the light of the Anglerfish attract other smaller species instead.

3) Someone said this previously, but I agree that it would be an excellent feature if the Angler could make it easier for you to use the fishing pole. The player could fish near an Angler, using their lure light as a replacement for bait. This feature would only work if used in conjunction with the above improvement, making the Angler a natural predator to Coel. (Alternatively, making Angler Gel a legitimate fishing bait alongside Honey and Leech Blood could also be an option).

4) I reckon it would look great if the Angler’s light could be animated to gently fade on and off. This effect could be toggle-able in a radial menu on a tamed Angler, along with the simple options of ‘on’ and ‘off’.

5) Like pretty much everything else on my suggestions list, the Angler would benefit from a model, texture, sound and animation pass. I never did understand why its tail curved down as it does; wouldn’t that make it difficult for the creature to propel itself forwards on a horizontal plane? I feel it would also be a terrifying improvement to see the Angler unhinge its lower jaw and open its mouth unnaturally wide, swimming quickly towards the player with a gullet like a great black maw of eternal darkness and pain... om nom nom nom... :D

6) I don’t believe that the Angler should prefer Raw Prime Meat, or even Cooked Lamb Chops, over Raw Prime Fish Meat.

Anky:

1) Deserves a model, texture, sound and animation rework. I personally have always been uncomfortable with my survivor sitting inches above its massive back spikes with nothing protective between them and my survivor’s nether regions.

2) There is a known bug with a tamed Anky’s eggs phasing through the ground when laid, only to vanish into the abyss below the playable area. This is believed to be due to the creature’s short stature, with the eggs having no room under its tail once laid and thus being forced through the ground. As part of a model update, this bug could also be addressed or worked-around.

3) I do not believe the Anky should be as good at swimming as it is.

4) It has been previously stated in this thread, but I agree that Ankys should do 2x damage to Rock and Rubble Elementals, in reference to their affinity for rock and metal. They’re not the best combat mount, but giving them a buff against Elementals would be a bit of fun regardless.

5) I feel the Anky would really benefit from its own smithy saddle.

6) I really like NateTheGallimimus’ idea of Ankys having a defensive stance (or even a passive ability) that allows them to reflect back to their attacker 1/3 of the damage dealt to them. It would give all the spikes on their hard backs a real use, and compensate for their slow movement speed in combat. Ankys could just power-stance and wait for the fight to come to them!

7) Please share the Anky’s impressive harvesting capabilities with some other dinos. It’s not fair that one dino is the best at harvesting metal, crystal, flint, rare mushrooms, rare flowers, oil AND obsidian. Share it around a little.

8) The Wiki states that the image of the Anky skull on the Dossier is inaccurate and more closely resembles another species relative to the Anky.

I'm ok with the Spino, Raptor and Argentavis but the Trike and Sarco are still useless.

The Trike's ram attack does less damage than a normal one? Totally makes sense... :D The rivalry buff isn't really worth it as well. Only 10% on melee is not enough.

The Sarco still has the pity aoe and the deathroll + lunge attack seem to be just visual things that look different. Not a huge difference from the normal attack.

4 hours ago, Karma Dragonia said:

Anky:

1) Deserves a model, texture, sound and animation rework. I personally have always been uncomfortable with my survivor sitting inches above its massive back spikes with nothing protective between them and my survivor’s nether regions.

2) There is a known bug with a tamed Anky’s eggs phasing through the ground when laid, only to vanish into the abyss below the playable area. This is believed to be due to the creature’s short stature, with the eggs having no room under its tail once laid and thus being forced through the ground. As part of a model update, this bug could also be addressed or worked-around.

3) I do not believe the Anky should be as good at swimming as it is.

4) It has been previously stated in this thread, but I agree that Ankys should do 2x damage to Rock and Rubble Elementals, in reference to their affinity for rock and metal. They’re not the best combat mount, but giving them a buff against Elementals would be a bit of fun regardless.

5) I feel the Anky would really benefit from its own smithy saddle.

6) I really like NateTheGallimimus’ idea of Ankys having a defensive stance (or even a passive ability) that allows them to reflect back to their attacker 1/3 of the damage dealt to them. It would give all the spikes on their hard backs a real use, and compensate for their slow movement speed in combat. Ankys could just power-stance and wait for the fight to come to them!

7) Please share the Anky’s impressive harvesting capabilities with some other dinos. It’s not fair that one dino is the best at harvesting metal, crystal, flint, rare mushrooms, rare flowers, oil AND obsidian. Share it around a little.

8) The Wiki states that the image of the Anky skull on the Dossier is inaccurate and more closely resembles another species relative to the Anky.

Have you been in a cave with a decent amount of centipedes with a wolf bary or raptor?  Have you attacked a family of kents with a combat/scout flyer?  My guess is no because the reflect shreds your mounts hp.  These reflections are 25%(1/4).  Now your suggesting to give a tank dino, meaning large hp pools compared to the other 2, an even more powerful reflect then the current two.  Wouldnt suprise me if 1 family of anks would kill a mount.  Lets not forget the giga is worthless against any reflecting creature because of rage.  This shouldnt be common.  The gigas barred from boss battles and is only good as a kamikaze shock trooper in raids, i dont agree with limiting its farming utility with making a common animal a no touch zone for it.  Wiping mountains to tame gigas or rexes would also get nailed really hard by this.  Not to mention the anks dmg output is higher then either the kent or athro.  "hey look its a group of anks, an upper 30s saddle creature, we cant kill it tho." "why captain?"  "because none of us are in the 80s yet to craft a rocket launcher(because that be about your option to deal with a huge and almost endless reflect if you used a dino and dont want to spen the next hour killing dinos and feeding your mount)."  so unbalance the giga more and make mountain wipes heck, do we really need more reasons to not do this.  The fact we bust our butts to get a giga and the fact the apex has lil use and this idea lowers it further should be enough deterrent to any tamers out there.

• Jatheish unpinned and unfeatured this topic

Archived