Dino TLC: Feedback! Suggestions?

Jatheish

46 minutes ago, DRACK3n said:

T-rex has had some tlc but u need to get rid of the scales on body and up it's spine the real t-rex don't have this on it's body

Oh? What did a real rex look Like?  I don't like the scales personally and wish they were their own color region, but to say they aren't on the real rex when no one knows what one looked like is a bit of a stretch no? 

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Lockjaw said:

So, in a nutshell, Rex should have absolutely nothing to stand out... not even a useless little gimmick. And tamed Gigas should have a base hp of 80,000, base damage of 600, and an OP bleed in addition to imprinting, leveling, and saddle armor. Because Giga. Seems legit.

Ok ill rephrase it, id like the wild 1s(which the tek cave giga can be killed by 1...1! Of my rexes)  to be nerfed to make it not such a slap in the face when you tame it and it goes fail.  My rexes i use to fight the bosses all have at least 50k hp and they still have room to grow so 80k actually does sound like a legitimate number.  The giga is huge and should have the hp of dinos its size.  Im actually a rex fan, ever since Jurassic park was released, and i enjoy it being so great.  I dont enjoy busting my balls to get a legendary version of a rex for it to be defeatable by a single rex.  There is no way you can tell me that if a rex and giga fought  in real life that the giga wouldnt royally kick the rexes butt.  Im not even wanting a massive improvement, just a lil 1 so my giga with 17k+hp doesnt fain a measly 74hp per point...Thats just sad.  My rexes gain like 2k per point.

3 hours ago, Lockjaw said:

So, in a nutshell, Rex should have absolutely nothing to stand out... not even a useless little gimmick. And tamed Gigas should have a base hp of 80,000, base damage of 600, and an OP bleed in addition to imprinting, leveling, and saddle armor. Because Giga. Seems legit.

Ok ill rephrase it, id like the wild 1s(which the tek cave giga can be killed by 1...1! Of my rexes)  to be nerfed to make it not such a slap in the face when you tame it and it goes fail.  My rexes i use to fight the bosses all have at least 50k hp and they still have room to grow so 80k actually does sound like a legitimate number.  The giga is huge and should have the hp of dinos its size.  Im actually a rex fan, ever since Jurassic park was released, and i enjoy it being so great.  I dont enjoy busting my balls to get a legendary version of a rex for it to be defeatable by a single rex.  There is no way you can tell me that if a rex and giga fought  in real life that the giga wouldnt royally kick the rexes butt.  Im not even wanting a massive improvement, just a lil 1 so my giga with 17k+hp doesnt fain a measly 74hp per point...Thats just sad.  My rexes gain like 2k per point.

1 hour ago, Onimusha759 said:

id like the wild 1s to be nerfed to make it not such a slap in the face when you tame it and it goes fail.

That I could get on board with.

1 hour ago, Onimusha759 said:

My rexes i use to fight the bosses all have at least 50k hp and they still have room to grow so 80k actually does sound like a legitimate number.

I dont enjoy busting my balls to get a legendary version of a rex for it to be defeatable by a single rex.

Im not even wanting a massive improvement, just a lil 1 so my giga with 17k+hp doesnt fain a measly 74hp per point...Thats just sad.

See there's part of the problem. You're trying to compare a super-bred and leveled Rex to a low Giga who doesn't even have an imprint. The initial effort in taming a Giga is higher than the initial effort in taming a Rex, but that argument goes out the window and even works in the Rex's favor when you factor in the effort needed to first get a good base mating pair, then build mutations, then imprint, then level it up. (Also, it's not a Rex.The way that you bust your balls to get a legendary version of a Rex is by working throught the breeding process.)

As for the Giga's health scaling, I don't think it would be a bad idea to give it the same scaling as his melee. Pulling points away from melee to pump health would at least force a trade-off rather than just being a straight-up buff.

2 hours ago, Onimusha759 said:

There is no way you can tell me that if a rex and giga fought  in real life that the giga wouldnt royally kick the rexes butt.

I assume that you're talking about the in-game versions of them and not the real-life versions? Either way a real-life fight would be simple. If we're talking about the in-game versions then the Giga would be able to kill the Rex in one bite, while the Rex would be able to kill the Giga in two bites. One bite to break the Giga's leg, then when the Giga falls over another bite to the neck to finish it off.

If we're talking about the real-life versions then my money would be on the Rex. Giga has serrated teeth for slicing flesh, but the Rex has a much more powerful crushing bite that's capable of shattering bone. It would still be a good matchup though.

2 hours ago, Onimusha759 said:

The giga is huge and should have the hp of dinos its size.

Then he would need to pay for that extra tankiness in some other way. They attempt to balance every other creature in the game so there's no reason that Giga should get a free pass to ignore balance.

Also, that would likewise need to be applied to every other creature in the game. Yuty is smaller than the Rex and yet still gets the same health pool, and Megalosaurus is just barely behind them despite being the size of a Carno. And Titanosaur would need to get a huge buff to his health as he dwarfs even the Giga.

1 hour ago, Lockjaw said:

That I could get on board with.

See there's part of the problem. You're trying to compare a super-bred and leveled Rex to a low Giga who doesn't even have an imprint. The initial effort in taming a Giga is higher than the initial effort in taming a Rex, but that argument goes out the window and even works in the Rex's favor when you factor in the effort needed to first get a good base mating pair, then build mutations, then imprint, then level it up. (Also, it's not a Rex.The way that you bust your balls to get a legendary version of a Rex is by working throught the breeding process.)

As for the Giga's health scaling, I don't think it would be a bad idea to give it the same scaling as his melee. Pulling points away from melee to pump health would at least force a trade-off rather than just being a straight-up buff.

I assume that you're talking about the in-game versions of them and not the real-life versions? Either way a real-life fight would be simple. If we're talking about the in-game versions then the Giga would be able to kill the Rex in one bite, while the Rex would be able to kill the Giga in two bites. One bite to break the Giga's leg, then when the Giga falls over another bite to the neck to finish it off.

If we're talking about the real-life versions then my money would be on the Rex. Giga has serrated teeth for slicing flesh, but the Rex has a much more powerful crushing bite that's capable of shattering bone. It would still be a good matchup though.

Then he would need to pay for that extra tankiness in some other way. They attempt to balance every other creature in the game so there's no reason that Giga should get a free pass to ignore balance.

Also, that would likewise need to be applied to every other creature in the game. Yuty is smaller than the Rex and yet still gets the same health pool, and Megalosaurus is just barely behind them despite being the size of a Carno. And Titanosaur would need to get a huge buff to his health as he dwarfs even the Giga.

My reference to legendary was more of a pokemon reference as in a legendary beast compared to 1 thats not.  My rexes arnt super bred.  Majority of them have those stats as the base parents.  And since wild gigas would be basically every other creatures tamed version the fact my not bred rex can kill the lvl 200(I think) giga isnt right.  I was comparing in game versions, and your logic of how the fight would go isnt proper.  Your giving the rex an IQ bigger then what it would have.  Almost no wild animal goes after legs except pack animals.  The rex would most likely never get close enough between the range and the gigas ability to handle it with its arms, JP3 if you will.  If i follow your logic then the raptor is completely cheated by the rex since the rex thrashes him.  Or you could go with my logic of progression raptor to carno to allo to rex to giga.  Its the next step and should dominate its lower step.  As for every other creature the size of the giga, they all have large health pools, including the titan.  You can look at the giga and you just know, this thing should have more health and dmg then a rex because its the next step in evolving game wise.  Its meant to be the apex super beast at the very end.  I feel very underwhelmed by my giga.  Even if the giga was buffed, the rexes wouldnt lose their value because of the upper mid gameplay stage and the boss arenas.  As for balancing, yes they do that but within a stage of progression.  Mammoth beats beaver for wood because its the next stage, is the poor beaver being cheated?  No thats proper because they are in different levels of progression.  The rex theriz spino and yuty are together at the 2nd highest lvl notive they all around the 70s.  The giga is not in there level, even the egg fed dinos prove this when all the priors are worth the same value but the gigas is higher.  As for the mega tribe with the gigas, how is that any different then it is already?  So you change the main foot soldier of your army from rexes to gigas(which realistically this is how it should be because they using rexes only because its the best when the giga really should be as the apex predator), either way you have unstable mega.  As for sacrifice some dmg, ya id be ok with that provided the giga had superior hp and dmg to the rex and that can only be achieved if its tamed stat gained is buffed, doesnt have to be huge, i mean the gigas gaining .00X% per point, thats insanely low.  Just take 1 zero off and id probably be happy.  The percentaged would still be really low but it would allow 740hp per point compared to my rexes that still get 1.5-2k per point.

@Onimusha759

This will probably be my last comment here as we've already derailed the thread enough. But anyway...

13 hours ago, Onimusha759 said:

My reference to legendary was more of a pokemon reference as in a legendary beast compared to 1 thats not.

Truth be told I do like the idea of legendary beasts/hero units. I'm actually thinking about creating a mod which adds that to the game. But there is a difference here. I haven't spent a lot of time playing Pokemon but let me ask you this: Is pokemon a game of 'Go Mewtwo or go home'? Or is there some leeway to use what you want to use? I know for a fact that Charizard can evolve into a legendary pokemon. This is a starter pokemon that we're talking about, and yet he scales with the player's progression and remains relevant for the player who still wants to use him.

14 hours ago, Onimusha759 said:

My rexes arnt super bred.  Majority of them have those stats as the base parents.

50,000 health out of the wild? Either you aren't playing with vanilla settings or their melee is poop. And if they are bred then even without mutations that's still a step that you did not take with the Giga.

If i follow your logic then the raptor is completely cheated by the rex since the rex thrashes him.  Or you could go with my logic of progression raptor to carno to allo to rex to giga.  Its the next step and should dominate its lower step.

Mammoth beats beaver for wood because its the next stage, is the poor beaver being cheated?  No thats proper because they are in different levels of progression.

Raptors are faster than the rest and are getting a pack buff and a pounce attack. Carnos are kinda pointless at the moment, but that will likely change with the TLC pass. Allo has his bleed which can make him better than Rex in certain situations, and he's also faster than the Rex. Rex seems to be getting worked into the role of a carnivorous tank, but he does pay for it with slow speed and a lack of utility. Giga just blows everything else out of the water when it comes to melee damage, and he's faster than Rex and can damage stone structures. But he's been stripped of his indestructibility.

Mammoth is a dedicated wood gatherer while Beaver is a jack-of-all-trades who has the ability to gather wood.

Are you seeing the pattern? That progression that you spoke of still exists to an extent, but it's not like it was in the beginning when it was just a game of "Hehe my dino is bigger than yours." Dinos are being given unique abilities that allow them to remain relevant regardless where you are in the game.

As for every other creature the size of the giga, they all have large health pools, including the titan.

That's because none of them have anywhere near the damage output of a good Giga. They're not even in the same ball park. Giga is a high-end glass cannon while the rest of them are either tanks or well-rounded bruisers.

Anyway, since health seems to be the most important factor to you I would highly recommend that you get a mating pair of Gigas and imprint the baby. That 18,000 health will jump up to around 34,000 with the imprint. Either that, or just continue using your favorite dinosaur and be happy that he fits your play style so well. Either way.

1 hour ago, Lockjaw said:

@Onimusha759

This will probably be my last comment here as we've already derailed the thread enough. But anyway...

Truth be told I do like the idea of legendary beasts/hero units. I'm actually thinking about creating a mod which adds that to the game. But there is a difference here. I haven't spent a lot of time playing Pokemon but let me ask you this: Is pokemon a game of 'Go Mewtwo or go home'? Or is there some leeway to use what you want to use? I know for a fact that Charizard can evolve into a legendary pokemon. This is a starter pokemon that we're talking about, and yet he scales with the player's progression and remains relevant for the player who still wants to use him.

50,000 health out of the wild? Either you aren't playing with vanilla settings or their melee is poop. And if they are bred then even without mutations that's still a step that you did not take with the Giga.

Raptors are faster than the rest and are getting a pack buff and a pounce attack. Carnos are kinda pointless at the moment, but that will likely change with the TLC pass. Allo has his bleed which can make him better than Rex in certain situations, and he's also faster than the Rex. Rex seems to be getting worked into the role of a carnivorous tank, but he does pay for it with slow speed and a lack of utility. Giga just blows everything else out of the water when it comes to melee damage, and he's faster than Rex and can damage stone structures. But he's been stripped of his indestructibility.

Mammoth is a dedicated wood gatherer while Beaver is a jack-of-all-trades who has the ability to gather wood.

Are you seeing the pattern? That progression that you spoke of still exists to an extent, but it's not like it was in the beginning when it was just a game of "Hehe my dino is bigger than yours." Dinos are being given unique abilities that allow them to remain relevant regardless where you are in the game.

That's because none of them have anywhere near the damage output of a good Giga. They're not even in the same ball park. Giga is a high-end glass cannon while the rest of them are either tanks or well-rounded bruisers.

Anyway, since health seems to be the most important factor to you I would highly recommend that you get a mating pair of Gigas and imprint the baby. That 18,000 health will jump up to around 34,000 with the imprint. Either that, or just continue using your favorite dinosaur and be happy that he fits your play style so well. Either way.

I love the mod idea even tho i cant use them... In pokemon its called mega evolution and mewtwo also has 1 allowing him to trash mega charizard yet again.  Hes not indestructable tho, it takes possibly 2 or 3 others before he goes down(if he goes down at all).  That said a properly setup and having time to prepare in fight charizard can also buff itself to wipe the floor with literally anything so i see your balance there.  Ill be honest my gia was a 34 after tame...And i am comparing him to rexes that were perfect tamed and they were wild 100+.  I play single player so pve wise the giga is a let down.  Maybe an option in game to have setings different between the 2 types, pve vs pvp.  It sucks my pve play gets trashed constantly by pvp updates.  As for mods, im on ps4, cant get em.  My settings are set to 1.0 so i dont have any boosts and my rexes have 7k%Dmg at least.

On 3/2/2018 at 12:10 PM, TheRealSnek said:

Wait.....but they already are.... I don’t know if you’ve seen it, but it got a new model and new abilities 

Yes i've seen, but will it make them a bit stronger? That's what i meant: i would like something more than just a visual update and new ability (switch stance). Should have stated that more clearly.

And so, I am still waiting for Megalodon TLC, i believe it will happen, question is when. I think everything in the water has to get a bit reworked. Don't really have a reason (unless maybe black pearls) to go in the water, couple of underwater bosses would be nice maybe? 

On 3/5/2018 at 9:10 PM, Onimusha759 said:

My rexes i use to fight the bosses all have at least 50k hp and they still have room to grow so 80k actually does sound like a legitimate number.  

On 3/6/2018 at 2:04 AM, Onimusha759 said:

My rexes arnt super bred.  Majority of them have those stats as the base parents. 

this makes absolutely no sense unless you are playing on a server with modified settings where the rex has severely boosted stats. i’ve tamed and bred many many rexes and the highest base health i’ve ever seen is 10.8k post tame. it’s rare for a dedicated breeder to get rexes fully leveled to 40k health, much less being born with those stats. 

a giga, by default, will always outclass a rex of the same level in every category other than swimming speed, turning radius, stamina, and the obvious rage mechanic. if you bred a line of gigas with identical levels put into stats as your rexes, you would have a monster with more than 100k hp and a bite damage that would far surpass that of the rexes.

literally anyone who has ever put time into breeding both rexes and gigas will agree. 

On 12/19/2017 at 4:24 AM, Jatheish said:

Hey everyone,

In our most recent crunch, we were able to give you a quick glance at the upcoming Dino TLC. We'd love to collect more visual specific feedback about our creatures, whether you think there are any which are in definite need of some TLC, as well as your thoughts on what you've seen so far! Keep in mind, they're still WIP and are subject to change. 

For those of you who hadn't seen the mention in the crunch, here's a recap:

Dino TLC Preview

large.TLCRex.jpg

Now that Aberration has been released the question on your mind might be: what's in-store next for ARK?

Today we're excited to share with you the first few images of our Dino TLC update that is currently being worked on. These images are still work-in-progress and are therefore subject to change before final release, but here are the updated Rex, Ape, and Dire Wolf models.

large.TLCApe.jpg

Studio Wildcard started out as a small studio and as we've progressed through ARKs development, we've grown tremendously! We've been able to bring on very talented animators and character artists to work on the project. 

You've seen some of their work in our more recent creatures and expansion packs, and now they'll be taking their abilities and showing some love to some of the original creatures we launched with. We're excited to see where these creatures go with the new advanced techniques and can't wait to show you how they turn out!

large.WolfTLC.jpg

So if you guys have any suggestions or creatures you think we should definitely take a look at, let us know here!

I really still believe you need to fix the pteranodon, it doesn't look anything like a pteranodon and they are useless at this point.

You could also fix (little remodels) the mosa , the mammoth, and the pachy.

Please update the lovely mammoth.

-In terms of collisions, he have problems. He stucks and "bounce" when beavers push it on tiny rocks or over others beavers ( i aready lost 3 heavy mammoth because of this bug)

-Drain too much stam when attacking , actually need pauses when farm with quetzal or fall unconcious.

-Need a major buff in base hp and small in scaling melee . He is actually not good at fight at all.

-And the most annoying to me, it is the distance in wich you can interact with it ( ie mount or open inventory). You can't access inventory if you are 20 cm away, even dodo can be reach at this distance... Fix this hitbox plz 

14 hours ago, Smekski said:

Yes i've seen, but will it make them a bit stronger? That's what i meant: i would like something more than just a visual update and new ability (switch stance). Should have stated that more clearly.

And so, I am still waiting for Megalodon TLC, i believe it will happen, question is when. I think everything in the water has to get a bit reworked. Don't really have a reason (unless maybe black pearls) to go in the water, couple of underwater bosses would be nice maybe? 

Stronger? We'll find out when they've officially announced everything that will be in it, like they did with phase 1. It'll be able to switch stances, bipedal doing a lot more damage as it'll also use its claws in exchange for speed. Quadrupedal switches damage for speed and maneuverability. It'll move faster and have a tighter turning radius, as well as being buffed while in the water

8 hours ago, Demigod said:

this makes absolutely no sense unless you are playing on a server with modified settings where the rex has severely boosted stats. i’ve tamed and bred many many rexes and the highest base health i’ve ever seen is 10.8k post tame. it’s rare for a dedicated breeder to get rexes fully leveled to 40k health, much less being born with those stats. 

a giga, by default, will always outclass a rex of the same level in every category other than swimming speed, turning radius, stamina, and the obvious rage mechanic. if you bred a line of gigas with identical levels put into stats as your rexes, you would have a monster with more than 100k hp and a bite damage that would far surpass that of the rexes.

literally anyone who has ever put time into breeding both rexes and gigas will agree. 

You misunderstand me.  They werent tamed at that lvl.  I have probably 65 lvls of post tame training put into my rexes(The base parents at least).  As ive stated i play single player on ps4. I have no access to mods being on ps4 and i have stated my settings are set to 1.0 which is where they are supposed to be.  I have noticed that my rexes gain more dmg then what the wiki suggests.  Idky tho since i have purposely tried to make sure my settings are vanilla.

Update: So i went into my settings and flipped the single player settings thing off and my dinos crashed to below 50% of what they were...Now i feel like i have to wipe my island and SE because they arnt legit now...darn it wildcard!!!  Throwing new settings into game and having them set to on automatically...I was cool wit the taming speed boost, but the Xp and the stat increases wasnt something i wanted...Really should of elaborated more in game what it effected.

I've been wondering what they could do to the Carno, I need some help here :P 
Obv, visual update is needed (one of the oldest creatures in the game), and its headbutt is REALLY derpy.

I wonder if they could benefit from another new ability, i'd say a charge but that's already going to the new Trike. Any idea's? I'm curious :D

I can't stress enough how much I like the TLC pass idea, I hope all of creatures go through it even if its only for a visual update. But I do also think some need it more than others, the ones they have done so far have been a good call!

1 hour ago, DeMartian said:

Plesios in real life were not amphibious at all. Having them being able to move on land at all seems absurd when you consider that wild ones can not even come up to the surface.

Im just gonna quote the OP of the thread

The way I see it, if I'm not willing to back it up it just turns into he-said-she-said and no one really gets to learn anything. I enjoy the learning aspect, and enjoy sharing it with others..

At the same time, as this idea probably demonstrates I fully understand ARK's job isn't to be accurate. If something might make the game more fun and interesting... well, it's a game, and we have a setting which allows us to get away with plenty of inaccuracy in the name of having fun.

Going to mention again that I would really like to see Pelagornis and the Pachy get a rework as I like them both a lot gut it is hard to see many uses for them. I would also love it if for all the dinos that give torpor damage, if the rate and effectiveness they deliverred torpor could have even more refined and clear differences. 

I was thinking last night there could probably also be more differences in microrapters and the more rare archaepterix as well.

2 hours ago, Kaho said:

For this game as it is i think the sharpen would be out of place.  Idk if the thorns on the ank could justify a reflect or if it does a very little 1.  We have to compare it to the kent.  Im completely down with the golem bonus but as is idk know how effective it would be because the golem has big reach and knockback so the ank may not ever get a hit in.  After dealing with jellies, barys, purlovias, and those god forsaken microraptors i absolutely cannot agree with ANOTHER stun animal.  Stun is so OP as it is, and even tho we could utilize it for ourselves, it be such a hassle having wild anks dismounting us.

personally i think the megalodon could really use a tlc update it basically looks like a football with fins and a mouth also alot of people complain that its small i think thats basically just an optical illusion due to how fat it is. it doesnt really even look like its dossier picture that shark is sleek and actually looks like it could be a sizable creature. as for abilities i think it should have something akin to the deathroll the sarco is gonna be getting but tailored towards attacking creatures as large or larger than itself instead of small creatures. with large prey or whale carcasses sharks latch on and thrash around to tear off large chunks of meat or open deep wounds possibly you should give wild megalodon the gnash ability like you did with wild ravagers. of course the thrash attack should be a little weaker than a sarcos deathroll considering megalodon are absurdly common in the ocean filling in roughly the same niche as raptors and ravagers.

Honestly, I’d really like to see TLC for the first three bosses. They’re ugly and don’t look as powerful or intimidating as the lore makes them out to be and the fights themselves aren’t exactly dynamic, it’s just bring 18 rexes, a yuty, and a daeodon, whistle attack this target, and spam attack button until it dies. Why not get more dynamic fights wherein bosses have unique attacks depending on health (like the Rockwell fight) and each would require a unique battle strategy (though still allowing for customization on battle teams so players can still use their favorites most of the time)

For example, why not make the megapithecus be weak to lots of small Dino’s attacking it (and thus having a space allotment of 50 dinos, but only allowing smaller species) and have it primarily attack via throwing rocks from a distance and commanding swarms of mesos and apes to attack you? Like, instead of rexes, why not overwhelm it with dimorphs or vultures, or even compies or troodons? Heck, any Dino you could theoretically swarm it with could work. Plus this gives a reason to breed said dinos, as they would be crucial for megapithecus (they also don’t require big dino barns that lag servers, as rexes do)

And the broodmother should be ridiculously armored and tanky with a focus on debilitating attacks (acid sprays and webs) while the araneo swarms whittle you down slowly, and you should bring a team of smaller, armor-busting/bleeding creatures (apes, allos, sloths, and maybe a few arthros) to dodge her attacks, and kill her much more quickly than direct offensive creatures would.

The dragon could be much more complicated, wherein it spends almost all of its time in the air, divebombing you with a massive AOE flame attack, and landing to hit hard with melee attacks. When it lands, you must destroy its wings (which would be like rockwell tentacles and have their own health, although the dragon itself could still be damaged when they are present) and render it unable to fly, so it switches to using primarily melee attacks (bite, claw swipe, knockback tail swing) and the fight from then on is a violent and bloody all-out battle for victory (kinda like what we have now, but more exciting and risky)

I just think that boss battles would be more fun and rewarding if they actually required skill and strategy, and were much more rewarding as well, instead of the current bosses, where you do them all once and then grind the megapithecus for element. If I do a boss and say, “wow, that was hard! Let’s do it again!” or something similar, that’s a good boss. If I do a boss and I just say “meh” before spawning in the next one for engrams while in single player because I don’t want to move my rexes to the next obelisk is a sign of a bad boss. I want all the ark bosses to be “wow, that was fun! Let’s do it again! and not “meh” I’ll follow this comment with regular dinos I want to get a TLC pass.

• Jatheish locked and unlocked this topic
  • Jatheish unpinned and unfeatured this topic

Archived