Dino TLC: Feedback! Suggestions?

Jatheish

4 minutes ago, bomhoofdalienkid said:

wyvern breeding

basilisk breeding

giga remaster

PHOENIX TO RAG DESERT

No. Op enough let alone a breedable army. Alpha tribes would love it. For single player it pulls away the challenge. 

No. Wouldnt make sense if titanoboa isn't included as well. With the ability to bury and move around your suggesting easy acsess to trolling/greifing a server. Pointless in sp

Yes long overdue 150% model, texture, movement ext.

No. What would be left in scorched earth to keep the value in its dlc?

Now I wanna ask why your suggesting these so I understand your view. 

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, LouSpowells said:

Where did you get that information about Ark creatures?

It's implied through the dossiers as they're separate subspecies and look and act a little different than they had in real life. If I remember correctly, Helena also mentions it in one of her early explorer notes on the island

On ‎11‎.‎2‎.‎2018 at 9:19 AM, Elle said:

Hey, everyone! I hope a suggestion about the new remodels is okay.

While overall my cluster is all very excited and loving the TLC update, we are a bit.... confused on the new region mapping for these guys. You guys did an amazing job on the new textures, but regions now are extremely defined and harsh looking, and they don't look very good with some mutations (and some natural colors) now. We love the new looks of them, but the color regions are an odd choice and some of them need a lot of help with blending.

Here's one of my clean rexes with vanilla colors:

UQlEGoAg.png

You guys gave the rex such a large, defined jaw as a design choice, but completely cut it in half with its color regions. I'd suggest either moving the belly region higher up on the face as it was, or move it down a bit. The random bits above the upper lip look more accidental than intentional, and the rest needs to be blended together better. Some of them look great still, like our dark blue and blue combo rexes, but some look a tad strange now.

Direbears: Here is a before and after of someone's mutated bear on our cluster.

rmWWoJK.png

cJCuq9n.png

The new bear, without mutations, is miles better.... But colors on these guys looked so pretty before, and now the regions are mapped much too cleanly. They look painted on, almost. Same case for the dire wolf. I didn't have screenshots on hand, but here is a before and after of @TheConstructor (on this forum)'s wolf:

nPuX9lY.jpg

0UnAYEy.jpg

Haha, while red and cobalt blue aren't the best combination, you see what we mean. I haven't seen the new procoptodon or its regions myself yet, but judging by the rest of these guys I imagine it's pretty similar?

The regions on all the updated models really could benefit from being blended together more to allow for a wider range of color combinations without looking so odd. I am unsure if this was a very conscious stylistic decision, or if not much thought was put into these regions (which I would hate to assume, since your design/art team has done such a good job!!). I really hope this doesn't come across as negative; overall like I said we love the looks of the updated models. The region mapping could just use some work! Thanks for reading! <3

Edit: There is another slight issue with the wolf regions as well, as you can see on these naturally colored pups. The regions have an odd border around them:

kGUxsc7.jpg

Thanks for useing our red/blue wolf as showcase. lol :D 

2 hours ago, SubtendedCrib8 said:

It's implied through the dossiers as they're separate subspecies and look and act a little different than they had in real life. If I remember correctly, Helena also mentions it in one of her early explorer notes on the island

I was more referring to your implication that the dinos in Ark evolved independently from other species. From what I've gathered after reading the dossiers/notes, the dinos on the Arks weren't necessarily evolved. She uses the term 'evolved' in her notes, but her descriptions often seem to be an attempt to reconcile what she knows of earth creatures to the creatures she sees. She later discovers (Aberration notes) that they're lab-created clones to ignore/bypass the evolutionary traits of the original extinct original creatures. Ultimately I think we're on the same page...just a difference in terminologies. 

6 hours ago, LouSpowells said:

I don't imagine the point would be to use the turtle as a travel or battle mount, just a fun feature on a somewhat underutilized - yet super neat - tame. Having a little 1x1 on a turtle would also be pretty sweet.

the issue is still there though, even if Turtles got jelly fish immunity/extra bio-toxin, they'd either have to get lucky with the jelly fish spawns, or go into the open ocean, and i really doubt that a turtle would be able to deal with the mass Megaladon spawn.

38 minutes ago, LouSpowells said:

I was more referring to your implication that the dinos in Ark evolved independently from other species. From what I've gathered after reading the dossiers/notes, the dinos on the Arks weren't necessarily evolved. She uses the term 'evolved' in her notes, but her descriptions often seem to be an attempt to reconcile what she knows of earth creatures to the creatures she sees. She later discovers (Aberration notes) that they're lab-created clones to ignore/bypass the evolutionary traits of the original extinct original creatures. Ultimately I think we're on the same page...just a difference in terminologies. 

I think of them as separately evolving from the base genome, although being genetically created like the humans in aberration, goes along with a theory about the origins of the ARKs that I have.

In the aberration ascension, you get transported to earth. Before you do you can see a large crater. We also learn that the tek tier, which is the same style as the ARKs, is human made. We also see briefly in the cinematic that on earth very similar structures are left in a barren hell, so it's basically confirmed that they're human made. We also learn from Diana that in the future that humanity is split into two warring factions.

From this, I'm going on a limb and saying that the war caused a near-human extinction, sparking the creation of the ARKs to secure the future of the human race. 

Shortly after launching the project, a massive meteor struck the earth, causing that huge crater from the cinematic, as no nuke is powerful enough to create such devastation, only something like a meteor is, which we've seen here on earth in the real world.

As a way of preparing the survivors of the ARKs for the harsh realities of the now completely devastated earth, the future humans scanned and cloned humans displaying certain characteristics, such as intelligence, adaptability, lethality etc from across time, as well as some of the most dangerous, either letting them evolve on their own or genetically enhancing them to the point that they're a new species, to allow them to adapt to the horrors they may face when they return.

This would explain the name 'Extinction' for the next and final DLC releasing this year, as it would show the extinction of the human race, and possibly all life on earth in the future, and explaining why they're called ARKs, because an ark is used to preserve life after a cataclysmic event, like noah's ark.

The only things that don't add up are the defense units in the control station, as they're bio-organic, or in lamens cyborgs. Although if the dinosaurs are genetically altered, it's not too much of a stretch to assume that they would have altered various beings to leave behind to help ensure only the best survive.

Unless of course it's revealed that the whole thing was created by an alien race, which would explain the reason the control center and the defense units look different stylistically compared to things on the ARKs themselves.

TL;DR it makes sense for them to be genetically altered, and not separately evolved

Spoiler

Please fix the Diplodocus! The appearance is pretty good, and actually sorta accurate! The only issue I have with it is its attacks. Irl, the Diplo used its tail to whip away predators. So maybe you can make it like that? So when you tame it it could like a right click tail whip like the Bronto!

not sure u posted this before, but i think it would be nice if dinos that passively produced a resource (achitina, basilo, and Tuso) would, instead of having production completely stop once a certain amount is reached, have diminishing returns of production speed.

For example, let's take the Achitina. every 60 seconds it would produce 1 achitina paste until it reached 100, but then ech paste in it's inventory after 99 would increase the time it takes for 1 paste to be produced by 5 seconds, so if 100 takes 60 seconds, then 101 would take 65 seconds, 110 would take 110 seconds (that was not planned i swear), 200 would take 560 seconds, so basically these kinds of dinos will keep producing if you get off for awhile, but you're still encouraged to empty them frequently

9 hours ago, GeneralBigBear said:

No. What would be left in scorched earth to keep the value in its dlc?

Well, rag has everything SE has (minus the phoenix) and more, and the phoenix is rather lackluster, so really, adding the Phoenix to Rag wouldn't change anything. Barely anybody plays SE these days, mainly because rag killed it.

8 hours ago, Umber0010 said:

the issue is still there though, even if Turtles got jelly fish immunity/extra bio-toxin, they'd either have to get lucky with the jelly fish spawns, or go into the open ocean, and i really doubt that a turtle would be able to deal with the mass Megaladon spawn.

Well, it couldn't do much to kill them for sure, but it's a war of attrition with turtles and they sure can take a beating. Seriously though, I don't really think it would be a super useful utility tame. More of a fun nearly-useless novelty for a dino that doesn't really have any other uses.

Am I the only one who think that bosses need new visual models too, especially the megapithecus head?

Maybe different visuals for each level (gamma-beta-alpha) instead of only different colors? Like the actual dragon, one with spikes and another with a metal-like skin for example.

Would be great to have small tameable variants of them. Maybe small clone made with DNA content that you get after beating a boss, and then you can use the cloning chamber to get smaller and weaker variants of the bosses. A way to show that you beat them AND it will be great to have small bosses as tames.

1 hour ago, RaptorRob456 said:

The Quetzalcoatlus needs the TLC pass more than any other creature in my opinion, It's model is terrible even when compared to the legacy dinosaurs and it still isn't in a very good place concerning it's balance. 

The way it walks should look more like girafe and it could be great if it could grab creatures with his mouth too. And the mohawk hair has to be rework I think... And as all other flyers it should be able to "float" on water instead of "bugging" close to water surface. Doesn't need to float as a swan but more like eagle (yes they can). Should be able to glide without using stamina too. 

Could push back creatures by moving a lot of air when taking if too ? 

The new Raptor Pounce ability looks great. Not sure if it's just me, but I think that raptors need to be able to jump on big preys as Para and Iguanodon too, latching to them. That's one of the first thing I think of about Raptors attack. Here is my suggestion :

The new Pounce ability works when jumping on small preys but when jumping on big preys it will work as the latching ability. From this, there are 2 options:

A challenge where you have to use all command that appears on the screen to stay on the prey and deal damages to it, a challenge like the fishing rod. 

OR

The raptor stays as long as it has stamina, stamina decreases quickly and if the raptor is damaged it falls.

In both situations there is a cooldown between each jump&latch. 

The Raptor could give a small bleeding status to the prey as long as it stays on it. 

The second creature is the Saber. It had a new model but it still need new abilities. 

A pounce ability on small creatures like the raptor could be great, with less damages BUT it increases torpor as the saber use his teeth to attack the prey neck and make it suffocates. It could be great too if it could jump on bigger preys (mammoth, megaloceros...) and stay on them a moment, giving a small suffocating effect too, increasing torpor/reducing stamina. 

In both ideas I think that they could be a maximum of 1-2 pedators latching on a prey (left or right side of it) 

The Saber could also have a stealth bonus when walking ? 

Scorched Earth TLC Pass !

Could be good to have a SE specific TLC pass too make SE more special. Since ragnarok launch, only the phoenix is "SE exclusive"  making SE less special than Aberration and his exclusives creatures that don't spawn on other map. 

Here is the idea: Make a SE TLC pass for some of SE creatures to have Scorched Earth/Desert Variant of classic creatures like we have aberrant variant on aberration. 

But instead of just a color change, new model/name could be given and more classic creatures could be added thanks to new variant.  Here are some examples:

SE Para-> Lambeosaurus (different crest) 

SE Troodon-> Velociraptor (longer head) 

SE Pteranodon-> Pterodactyl (no crest) 

SE Mammoth-> Palaeoloxodon (no fur) 

SE Megaloceros-> Macrauchenia (no antlers, antelop with strange nose) 

SE Titanobia->Giant Rattlesnake 

SE Direwolf->Coyote 

There are many other possibilities and the new SE variant could maybe have bonus abilities specific to SE too, like transporting water, heat protection and more... This way creatures from SE would be more interesting and SE would worth playing/buying to more players. 

By the way it would be great if ragnarok polar direbear could have a different head than normal direbear, looking more like a true polar bear, and having thermal protection/swimming speed boost. 

Remember guys, this is a thread for models and abilities for the older creatures. There will be limits to what they can do. You can't program an entire personality into an AI animal.  Sure, some things can be implemented, like the extended usage of web for the Araneos, but there are some things you can't put in a game.

Remember what Wu said: "Nothing on this island is natural. If they were, they would be a whole lot different."

I’m loving the TLC on all the old creatures that deserved and desperately needed some new abilities and looks.

i personally believe the trike should be a lot bigger, make it stronger, more bulky and faster. Give it a redesign, make the frill spikes less prominent. Make it the ultimate herbivore along side the theri. Perhaps make males a lot bigger than females (like a bull trike) and only the males have the charge attack. Then have alpha bull trikes in the wild that are aggressive towards all other carnivores. 

Make the anky bigger as well and rework its design. In its bigger size it should naturally move faster which should fix its slow speed.

terror bird/ plesiosaur/ stego/ptera/ parasaur need some work as well as their animations.

imo many creatures need work, but these are the main ones that bother me.

also, can we please add an edmontosaurus already? Make it bigger than a stego, really bulky and all resources have a 25% weight decrease in its inventory on top of its already massive weight stat! So we have a creature that can carry everything for us including structures and weapons across the map. I feel it should be hard to take like a theri

Rework of some hitboxes maybe?

Ankys should fit under a 2 high ceiling if Direbears, Griffins, Thylas etc. do.

Why can yutys walk through a regular dino gate but rexes can't? 

Morellatops look like they are able to fit through a dino gate, but they don't. I think they should. 

Griffin hitbox is strange when flying right under ceilings, it always looks like you're on top, but you're actually underneath. 

Thorny Dragon tail *!#+

Wouldn't mind seeing the Megalodon get a "breach" ability. It could basically be the opposite of the Griffin's dive, if you swim upwards with a Megalodon, it gains speed and deals more damage with it's bite. Maybe have a successful "breach" attack also deliver a slow effect, like the Alpha Allosaurus bite does. Sharks are well known for going after fins to cripple large prey. Megalodon was no different, judging by the fossil records of ancient whales that Megalodon preyed upon. Megalodon in Ark are way smaller than they were in reality though. In reality, they were even bigger than Mosasaurus.

• Jatheish locked and unlocked this topic
  • Jatheish unpinned and unfeatured this topic

Archived