Dino TLC: Feedback! Suggestions?

Jatheish

Absolutely love the new Rex model... Up until the point it moves. The hip motion could do with some editing. Straight off the bat, the odd way the hips move is apparent. And thinking about it... I worry the Rex is likely to tip forward. xD What do I know about an extinct dinosaurs center of mass? 

Other than that, the new jaw and teeth are awesome. The colour mutations look sweet and less like paint. My favourite part - The feet. Overall, the new Rex has upped in scare factor. 

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You  gotta fix the plesio 

On 12/18/2017 at 8:24 PM, Jatheish said:

Hey everyone,

In our most recent crunch, we were able to give you a quick glance at the upcoming Dino TLC. We'd love to collect more visual specific feedback about our creatures, whether you think there are any which are in definite need of some TLC, as well as your thoughts on what you've seen so far! Keep in mind, they're still WIP and are subject to change. 

For those of you who hadn't seen the mention in the crunch, here's a recap:

Dino TLC Preview

large.TLCRex.jpg

Now that Aberration has been released the question on your mind might be: what's in-store next for ARK?

Today we're excited to share with you the first few images of our Dino TLC update that is currently being worked on. These images are still work-in-progress and are therefore subject to change before final release, but here are the updated Rex, Ape, and Dire Wolf models.

large.TLCApe.jpg

Studio Wildcard started out as a small studio and as we've progressed through ARKs development, we've grown tremendously! We've been able to bring on very talented animators and character artists to work on the project. 

You've seen some of their work in our more recent creatures and expansion packs, and now they'll be taking their abilities and showing some love to some of the original creatures we launched with. We're excited to see where these creatures go with the new advanced techniques and can't wait to show you how they turn out!

large.WolfTLC.jpg

So if you guys have any suggestions or creatures you think we should definitely take a look at, let us know here!

You gotta fix the plesiosaurs face it's just horrible

Re Diplodocus: I think some people are missing some of the fantastic utility of the diplodocus. Call me crazy, but I use this dino very frequently, and I love it. And here's why I think, even on servers, it should be even more amazing: you can have protective dinos follow you, a fair level rex should be able to keep up, or hell, even a pack of raptors should be able to take care of threats pretty easily. I usually have a few battle-oriented argentavis follow me, or a rex. Or, with the 10+driver saddle, you could run around while your buddies dispatch anything that comes your way. Or, you can just outrun it. The diplodocus can mow down trees and runs quickly, AND has tons of stamina. On top of that, if you *really* are forced to fight, as a solo player, you can throw the offending animal back and then flee, or dismount and shoot at the opposition. The diplodocus is personally my go-to when it comes to gathering metal and obsidian. I do not find its behavior immersion breaking; it is a small, squishy sauropod, lol. I don't know if that's accurate to real life or not, but I stand by my previous statements where they don't have to be. They have mostly made up scientific names and nobody was there to see what the real things looked or acted like (especially on the latter), so it's kind of ridiculous to call it "immersion breaking," imo... Except for wild diplos just standing there letting wild animals eat them until they're 2 hits away from dying, that part is pretty ridiculous.

I do agree on one other immersion breaking thing though... The way carnivores mindlessly kill anything in their path. I would love to see an AI overhaul in the later phases of the TLC pass, which would do a few things, such as make certain dinosaurs territorial to others of their species (i.e., therizinosaurs seem territorial, as they are herbivores but will attack players and tamed dinos... perhaps male therizinosaurs will fight each other on sight?). And like I suggested in my Breeding Behavior thread, it would be nice if breeding dinos would stay near each other by themselves... Seriously. Kairukus can't even breed properly in a 1x1 foundation space. If one's on one side of the foundation and the other's on the other, they don't breed. I discovered this when in my singleplayer world I started breeding them to raise for polymer since I live very far from where wild kairuku are found as well as obsidian. Wild carnivores should also probably only hunt when hungry, rather than just ravaging anything in their path... I'm sure SOME people at Wildcard like coding special AI behavior... wouldn't that be fun, if nothing else, to make the animals have their own quirks and behaviors? (Then again, I am SuperNerd(TM), and little details like this would make me far happier than any big additions. That said, I can see why such minute details would come off as unreasonable to spend resources on...)

TLC SUGGESTION SABERTOOTH ABILITY

aside from the model update

The TLC Pass 1 brought us some new models and new abilities to some old creatures, tho the first one was actually the sabertooth it didn't have any significant features aside form the model update.

I know it has reduced fall damage and additional pelt harvesting

but what about its innate ability?

What will happen is that the saber will be left out completely since the Wolf is so much better now than it used to be.

Here are some of my suggestions so the Saber wouldn't be left out.

SABER SKILLS

• Stalking its Prey - Reduces the enemy visibility range by 50% while moving silently
  • Backstab - Additional Damage when attacking the enemy on its back
  • Jump Swipe / Jump Bite - A targeted Jump attack with its claws (Large creatures) / teeth (Medium, Small creatures) mid air

I think these 3 abilities justifies its use due to the Saber being a Solitary creature by nature as oppose to that of the Wolf which is a pack creature with a pack bonus.

you can also join the subreddit on this discussion 

Hey, everyone! I hope a suggestion about the new remodels is okay.

While overall my cluster is all very excited and loving the TLC update, we are a bit.... confused on the new region mapping for these guys. You guys did an amazing job on the new textures, but regions now are extremely defined and harsh looking, and they don't look very good with some mutations (and some natural colors) now. We love the new looks of them, but the color regions are an odd choice and some of them need a lot of help with blending.

Here's one of my clean rexes with vanilla colors:

UQlEGoAg.png

You guys gave the rex such a large, defined jaw as a design choice, but completely cut it in half with its color regions. I'd suggest either moving the belly region higher up on the face as it was, or move it down a bit. The random bits above the upper lip look more accidental than intentional, and the rest needs to be blended together better. Some of them look great still, like our dark blue and blue combo rexes, but some look a tad strange now.

Direbears: Here is a before and after of someone's mutated bear on our cluster.

rmWWoJK.png

cJCuq9n.png

The new bear, without mutations, is miles better.... But colors on these guys looked so pretty before, and now the regions are mapped much too cleanly. They look painted on, almost. Same case for the dire wolf. I didn't have screenshots on hand, but here is a before and after of @TheConstructor (on this forum)'s wolf:

nPuX9lY.jpg

0UnAYEy.jpg

Haha, while red and cobalt blue aren't the best combination, you see what we mean. I haven't seen the new procoptodon or its regions myself yet, but judging by the rest of these guys I imagine it's pretty similar?

The regions on all the updated models really could benefit from being blended together more to allow for a wider range of color combinations without looking so odd. I am unsure if this was a very conscious stylistic decision, or if not much thought was put into these regions (which I would hate to assume, since your design/art team has done such a good job!!). I really hope this doesn't come across as negative; overall like I said we love the looks of the updated models. The region mapping could just use some work! Thanks for reading! <3

Edit: There is another slight issue with the wolf regions as well, as you can see on these naturally colored pups. The regions have an odd border around them:

kGUxsc7.jpg

Here’s what I think needs to be done

Raptor: definitely needs a pack number buff. They mention countless times in the dossier how they are pack animals. And maybe a new attack like a leap or a kick would be cool, along with a remodel

Carno: I think something like a charge would be cool, and maybe make it like it is in primal carnage, and maybe some stat buffs. A remodel would also be welcomed

Galli: these fellas need to get a better turning radius, along with some other new abilities to make it more survivable

Bronto: I personally think a stomp attack would be cool, along with new animations and models

Unsure when all of the remodels will be out on Xbox but I’m really loving them all. They look so great. When my gigantopithocus changes from the old style it’ll be amazing. I think the hair on things like the bear has to be one of the best changes, as well as the kangaroos face not looking derpy! :D

3 hours ago, Elle said:

While overall my cluster is all very excited and loving the TLC update, we are a bit.... confused on the new region mapping for these guys. You guys did an amazing job on the new textures, but regions now are extremely defined and harsh looking, and they don't look very good with some mutations (and some natural colors) now. We love the new looks of them, but the color regions are an odd choice and some of them need a lot of help with blending.

UQlEGoAg.png

You guys gave the rex such a large, defined jaw as a design choice, but completely cut it in half with its color regions. I'd suggest either moving the belly region higher up on the face as it was, or move it down a bit. The random bits above the upper lip look more accidental than intentional, and the rest needs to be blended together better. Some of them look great still, like our dark blue and blue combo rexes, but some look a tad strange now.

rmWWoJK.png

cJCuq9n.png

The new bear, without mutations, is miles better.... But colors on these guys looked so pretty before, and now the regions are mapped much too cleanly. They look painted on, almost. Same case for the dire wolf. I didn't have screenshots on hand, but here is a before and after of @TheConstructor (on this forum)'s wolf:

nPuX9lY.jpg

0UnAYEy.jpg

Haha, while red and cobalt blue aren't the best combination, you see what we mean. I haven't seen the new procoptodon or its regions myself yet, but judging by the rest of these guys I imagine it's pretty similar?

The regions on all the updated models really could benefit from being blended together more to allow for a wider range of color combinations without looking so odd. I am unsure if this was a very conscious stylistic decision, or if not much thought was put into these regions (which I would hate to assume, since your design/art team has done such a good job!!). I really hope this doesn't come across as negative; overall like I said we love the looks of the updated models. The region mapping could just use some work! Thanks for reading! <3

I totally agree! Seeing the amazing blending before looked so nice. The colours had more fur texture in there too. Now it’s like a block colour with no texture and looks kind of like someone painted it in Microsoft paint....

9 hours ago, powerstuck said:

Was it planned that fully mutated dinos now look like poop ? 

A full red wolf is now red and brown. A full bright green wolf is now black and green. A full red bear is now face red and rest the standard brown. 

Like seriously DILO !

they want us to stop playing for breeding.. thats why they do this poop colors.. 

It shouldn’t matter to them if people want to play for breeding things to look cool. It’s a good bonus IMO but if some people want to fully focus on that then awesome, they bring out cool mutations and make epic mounts and companions. Please fix the colours to look cool again, like before. Great models, now fix the colours :D 

3 hours ago, Elle said:

UQlEGoAg.png

rmWWoJK.png

cJCuq9n.png

nPuX9lY.jpg

0UnAYEy.jpg

I can tell that the region 3 on rex (region next to the sipne) has been removed u cant even admin paint it so every rex has naw that ughli black/grey back, ather then that love the new rex.

So my sugesion is devs pls give us back region 3

I was confused as to why all my Rex's backs are grey/black. I figured that they might have defaulted to that color for whatever reason, and new breeds would be different. So, I tested out some color changes on a Rex in single player. I found that Region 3 (the back) is semi-nonexistent. On an all-white Rex with magenta for Region 3, all I saw of magenta was a  teeny-tiny patch near the start of the tail, and two on either side of the spine near the center of the Rex.

That's why I called it semi-nonexistent, because you have to get out a magnifying glass to even see those tiny patches of color...almost as if you guys meant to make the new grey/black part on every Rex's back the new Region 3, but didn't code it that way to take place of the old Region 3. Any word on this design decision and/or bug?

3 hours ago, StockInsAug said:

I hope, it's just a bug that the rex have only 3 color regions now instead of 4. All of my blue und purple backs are grey now. Thats very sad.

yes, I agree - I rly hate that about the new rexes - I had rly nice colour combinations and now all of them have that ugly (moldy) looking grey back (area next to the spine) - plz fix this!!!!! why would they remove that colour region or auto-paint it grey???

so something i thought of that i think would be cool for the scorpion was if the Scorpion could percislly sting an unconscious creature WITHOUT Hurting it, and then use narcotics in it's inventory to keep a dino asleep. so say there was a creature with a high torpor drain, let's say a Procoptodon, sense, unlike Dimetrodons, actually have a use. Anyways, say i had KOd this procoptodon, but wanted to do something else instead of constantly keeping it from waking up, so, i could bring over my scorpion, have the scorpion gently poke the procoptodon with it's stinger, then it would "feed" the procoptodon a narcotic in the scorpion's inventory every time it lost more than, say, 50 torpor. this way i could do whatever i wanted to do and the procoptodon would stay down.

Now the question is, how would this be balanced? well, right off the bat the scorpion would be using way more narcotics then was needed. For example, according to the wiki, you need 36 Narcotics to kibble tame a 150 paracer. well, unless i put exactly 46 narcotics on the scorpion, then it wouldn't know this, so it might end up burning over a stack of narcotics for no reason. although if that's not enough, another option could be that if you use a scorpion like this, the dino will automatically lose 5-10% taming effectiveness, then it becomes the decision of micromanagement for less levels, or multitasking for less levels.

11 hours ago, Elle said:

UQlEGoAg.png

rmWWoJK.png

cJCuq9n.png

nPuX9lY.jpg

0UnAYEy.jpg

Edit: There is another slight issue with the wolf regions as well, as you can see on these naturally colored pups. The regions have an odd border around them:

kGUxsc7.jpg

I agree with all of this! Please be considerable of those who take breeding seriously. For many this is the main highlight of the game.

Can we please get a better less dull look on the giganotosaurus? i don't like it how its one of the cooler theropods but is the dullest by far till this day. im hoping maybe in the third TLC update it should get a new design, i think it should just have a better design, but i know people asking for size change and all but if the intended purpose was for the giganotosaurus to be a super sized carnivore then im good with it. just wish it was cooler so it didn't look like a mountain of oversized scales and no awe factor to ithttps://www.google.com/search?q=giganotosaurus&client=ms-android-verizon&prmd=ivsn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjw6N_f0p7ZAhVX1IMKHW0JBvkQ_AUIESgB&biw=412&bih=718&dpr=2.63#imgdii=q-2OuEzCPSBVtM:&imgrc=9gNTIew904GbnM:&isa=y

or this one design 

https://www.google.com/search?client=ms-android-verizon&biw=412&bih=424&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=LaCAWoL6B8vOjwShxomoDw&q=giganotosaurus+and+other+terrible+lizarsa&oq=giganotosaurus+and+other+terrible+lizarsa&gs_l=mobile-gws-img.3..30i10k1.61469.69367.0.69705.32.30.0.0.0.0.274.4501.4j20j5.29.0....0...1c.1j4.64.mobile-gws-img..4.24.4008...0j35i39k1.111.ElBLwCHneAY#imgrc=6vij-fjc8q5CcM:&isa=y

When does the TLC stuff start coming to Xbox? Apologies if this is noted somewhere, I haven’t seen it.

really love the models but the bright colours used to look better before. The colour regions being made more harsh/ taken away and also looking less “natural” in terms of blending and texture is sad. 

• Jatheish locked and unlocked this topic
  • Jatheish unpinned and unfeatured this topic

Archived