Dino TLC: Feedback! Suggestions?

Jatheish

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Make the Direbear able to climb redwood trees so it can better get to the honey! Missed opportunity if you don't!

The Raptor NEEDS love. A new model definitely. Give it an attack that let's it cling to the hitboxes of larger creatures (maybe all sized creatures if you find it not OP) and then while clinging it's stamina will drain. You can perform a 'slashing' attack with it's talons, and will fall off if you tell it to or it's stamina runs out.

Give the Parasaur the ability to warn players when an aggressive carnivore is nearby. Make it honk!

Let the Stego have an impaling attack with it's tail like the Kentro does. Seems weird that the SMALLER of the two got it and not the more popular one (though I get it, the Kentro is vastly more spikey)

Diplo: while the concept is neat, it unfortunately falls short in practicality. so i'd say give it the ability to use it's tail as a whip. Make it applie the Yuty's fear effect. and give it a very small hit box, but heavy damage. so it would be hat to hit something, but it would be extremely powerful if it did hit

57 minutes ago, Umber0010 said:

Diplo: while the concept is neat, it unfortunately falls short in practicality. so i'd say give it the ability to use it's tail as a whip. Make it applie the Yuty's fear effect. and give it a very small hit box, but heavy damage. so it would be hat to hit something, but it would be extremely powerful if it did hit

I don't agree with this. I've personally used diplodocus to run back and forth all over the map, and its speed has made it able to outrun, well, anything. It's not a bad swimmer. It has good stamina. It has amazing weight and health. It can shove whatever's attacking it back, and then bolt. Or it can just tank attacks while you stand on the safety of its back, head, or tail and shoot whatever's attacking you if you really need them gone. While I wouldn't mind some edits to its appearance (...that goofy gallop tho) or its behavior (actually running away when it realizes a rex is eating it alive when wild), I don't like the idea of taking away its inability to attack. Call me silly, but I kind of like that novelty. If you give it the ability to attack, it'll likely get nerfed in other ways and then just become a smaller, crappier bronto. I really like the little niche it fixes now. I need some metal? no problem. Bolt over to the mountains, mine up some metal, bolt home. I can mow down trees, throw rexes back and then run away, etc etc. The only thing that's even a remote issue are thylacoleos because they knock me off. 

That said... I've only really played the Island heavily. 

3 hours ago, Slvr said:

I don't agree with this. I've personally used diplodocus to run back and forth all over the map, and its speed has made it able to outrun, well, anything. It's not a bad swimmer. It has good stamina. It has amazing weight and health. It can shove whatever's attacking it back, and then bolt. Or it can just tank attacks while you stand on the safety of its back, head, or tail and shoot whatever's attacking you if you really need them gone. While I wouldn't mind some edits to its appearance (...that goofy gallop tho) or its behavior (actually running away when it realizes a rex is eating it alive when wild), I don't like the idea of taking away its inability to attack. Call me silly, but I kind of like that novelty. If you give it the ability to attack, it'll likely get nerfed in other ways and then just become a smaller, crappier bronto. I really like the little niche it fixes now. I need some metal? no problem. Bolt over to the mountains, mine up some metal, bolt home. I can mow down trees, throw rexes back and then run away, etc etc. The only thing that's even a remote issue are thylacoleos because they knock me off. 

That said... I've only really played the Island heavily. 

they need to do something with it - watching it slowly die whenever i see one is just depressing.

i say remodel the face (so it looks less derpy) and make it flee until 50% health and then defend with a rng tail whip attack that can deal severe damage

I think the Paracer (aka penis horse) really needs a remodel, just based on its nickname. Maybe make head a bit smaller, and the neck shorter but thicker, like this:112e30c76522f7be0d5e6696bdbb7d7e.jpg

I also think it's platform saddle and movement speed could get a buff, since it's about the same size as a quetz and has slightly more base weight (850 vs 800), but the quetz saddle can have 40 structures, while the paracer can only have 25. Perhaps upgrade the saddle to 35 structures or so, and give it an ability where it can lift small dinos onto its back or something like that, because right now the bronto makes the paracer almost useless.

I also think the Carno needs a model change, because its arms dont even look like they're a part of its body, and its overbite makes it look just dumb. It's legs look way too far back for it to be able to balance. Perhaps make its neck shorter, and its legs and tail bigger, just to balance it out, or make it stand more upright. make its lower jaw bigger, and make its horns stick up more. Perhaps give it some sort of "frenzy" ability, where it gets a speed and stamina and maybe damage buff when it kills and eats prey.

I also agree with some previous suggestions like scorpion and araneo, but those two were what I thought should be changed the most.

5 hours ago, pixelrobot said:

they need to do something with it - watching it slowly die whenever i see one is just depressing.

i say remodel the face (so it looks less derpy) and make it flee until 50% health and then defend with a rng tail whip attack that can deal severe damage

The problem with this is if you read the dossier it specifically mentions that they're kinda stupid, and take every form of attention as play, which leads to their death as they don't understand what's going on until it's too late

3 hours ago, SubtendedCrib8 said:

The problem with this is if you read the dossier it specifically mentions that they're kinda stupid, and take every form of attention as play, which leads to their death as they don't understand what's going on until it's too late

Yes. This.

I would, however, not mind if they turned around and ran once they reached low health (20% or 40% or something like that). Even the dumbest of animals that can feel pain would eventually go "Oh, crap, this hurts!" and leave, lol. 

Hello survivors. Here's my small comment to Phase 1.

Procoptodon: It will get some really cool and useful abilities. I have nothing to add to that, but there is one thing in its model that should be corrected - feet. These middle toes are too thick and other toes are too far from them. Just look at this photo:

kangaroo_feet_by_meh_cannot_draw.thumb.jpg.579ce04e094a2f1b2e8a5ea82287a967.jpg

Please, fix that, it looks a bit weird imo. The rest of the model is wonderful. Also, I wonder if you added (or will add) different walking animation. Now we have small jumps as walking, big jumps as running and huge jumps as jumping. It would be nice to see Procoptodon walking on all fours like kangaroos irl (I don't mean manually switching between bipedal and quadrupedal because it would be pointless). But that's only a suggestion. Kangaroos walk pretty slow so it's up to you.

Gigantopithecus: I'm sure real Gigantopithecus didn't look like Bigfoot, but I like its in-game appearance (and its new face, the previous one was horrible). The new abilities will be interesting, but I think you could give them ability to wield tools or certain melee weapons (or just tools, weapons may be too OP). It would collect the same amount of resources as humans can collect to serve as mount to harvesting without need to dismount. I know that Mantis can already do this, but Mantis is exclusive only for Scorched Earth and Ragnarok, so Gigantopithecus could be its substitute - no weapons, tools in one hand and harvest everything with normal efficiency (like humans). And c'mon, Mantis doesn't have hands and its able to hold many things and Gigantopithecus which has two big, human-like hands can't even grasp a club. Consider it (I know that there are several reasons not to do it, but with some balance it would be OK).

Dire bear: I love this new look (and finally it looks like a bear). Its abilities are very useful and practical. Bear as a honey harvester is what we needed. Of course, you could give them ability to climb trees to get to beehives, it would be cool, but I think this is not necessary. And one more thing - bear will receive 3 times more honey than other dinos, so maybe you should give them small cooldown to harvesting honey, 3-4 seconds for example, or something similar? Just to not run at full speed across the map and collect a lot of honey without any impediment. Irl bears must have some time to harvest honey without disturbing hive. 

Dire wolf: New model is much better than the old one, but it definitely needs more fur. Abilities are great. Finally we have something to indicate these explorer notes. Regarding pack boost, real wolves not only hunt in packs, but also live in packs, so maybe you should add little pack boost that is active all the time? 

Rex: Its new model caused some controversy, but I think it is way better than the previous one. It could be improved, but it's fine. It also could get an another ability, because we will only have roar that will poopstun only some dinos for 1-2 seconds unless rider has enough fortitude. It doesn't sound very good. I understand you, Rex is strong even without ability, but you could come up with something else. Maybe super-strong bite with long cooldown that will deal 2,5-5% more damage, but drain a lot of stamina? I'm not saying that you must give it more powerful ability, as I said Rex is strong even without it and this roar will be very fun to use, but something else wouldn't be bad.

And yes, I know that this will be released today, but I had no time before. If you have no intention of changing what did you do, simply ignore this post. Otherwise, maybe you will change something in next update? Greetings.

16 minutes ago, Kubaxmax said:

Rex: Its new model caused some controversy, but I think it is way better than the previous one. It could be improved, but it's fine. It also could get an another ability, because we will only have roar that will poopstun only some dinos for 1-2 seconds unless rider has enough fortitude. It doesn't sound very good. I understand you, Rex is strong even without ability, but you could come up with something else. Maybe super-strong bite with long cooldown that will deal 2,5-5% more damage, but drain a lot of stamina? I'm not saying that you must give it more powerful ability, as I said Rex is strong even without it and this roar will be very fun to use, but something else wouldn't be bad.

I agree, it could use another ability. Maybe a stomp? Or an ability to actually grab things and use its arms and legs to slash it? IRL Rex obviously wouldn't just bite everything. It's theorized that it would've used it's arms and legs to help hold down or slash its prey while the head, with that powerful bite force, crushed it. 

On that same note, I mentioned this in an earlier comment, but it would be nice if the larger theropods had abilities like that, that help deal more damage if they are able to hold on to their prey. Also just be able to carry and hold on to creatures in general.

Also, unrelated but still relevant, as I have also previously stated, it would be amazing if all the creatures got an AI overhaul so the carnivores aren't mindless monsters attacking everything in sight, but rather acted like real animals, and had AI similar to the hyenadon to where it attacks animals it doesn't attack in the wild simply because they're tamed, and the herbivores actually did something like graze, and move in packs, and not just stand there waiting to be killed like a mindless zombie.

Almost all old creatures should get a remodel don't forget about the Giganotosaurus, Quetzal, Megalodon, Parasaur, Araneo, Mammoth, Pachy, Carbonemys, PLESIOSAUR!!, Stego, Trike, Dilo, Bronto, Ankylo, Angler, the Frog, Dimetrodon, Kairuku, Raptor and Titanoboa (give the Diplodocus an actual attack pls, they suck really bad)

After the TLC phases it would be nice to see some improvements in the building system, especially for cables and pipes and server connection, joining etc. so the game will live on

I still have to wait hours for my friends to join because after 1 minute it says connection failed and all have to restart the game again, this is now a full priced game, this can't be like this forever, I have it since 2015 and really like and support it, but you also have to consider that this game won't go on for long if you don't care about the more important things like the named.

I like the example of Rainbow Six, which failed at the launch but is now by far my favorite shooter, they really care about their community and the future of the game and improve it from season to season so pls do the same, because ARK could be such a beautiful place but so many things destroy the immersion

12 hours ago, SubtendedCrib8 said:

The problem with that is that it's totally ridiculous and immersion breaking. IIRC that came about at the same time as someone decided all dinos needed to behave like puppies getting their bellies tickled when being leveled. Also ridiculous and immersion breaking.

Hey everyone,
In our most recent crunch, we were able to give you a quick glance at the upcoming Dino TLC. We'd love to collect more visual specific feedback about our creatures, whether you think there are any which are in definite need of some TLC, as well as your thoughts on what you've seen so far! Keep in mind, they're still WIP and are subject to change. 
For those of you who hadn't seen the mention in the crunch, here's a recap:

Dino TLC Preview

large.TLCRex.jpg.aeaf5f1dd455fc76ff201e3ee812f3d6.jpg

Now that Aberration has been released the question on your mind might be: what's in-store next for ARK?
Today we're excited to share with you the first few images of our Dino TLC update that is currently being worked on. These images are still work-in-progress and are therefore subject to change before final release, but here are the updated Rex, Ape, and Dire Wolf models.

large.TLCApe.jpg.6c89c52e7074b18199b31c6e30218f76.jpg

Studio Wildcard started out as a small studio and as we've progressed through ARKs development, we've grown tremendously! We've been able to bring on very talented animators and character artists to work on the project. 
You've seen some of their work in our more recent creatures and expansion packs, and now they'll be taking their abilities and showing some love to some of the original creatures we launched with. We're excited to see where these creatures go with the new advanced techniques and can't wait to show you how they turn out!
large.WolfTLC.jpg.f6376bd4f561d4af2e3ed2c12a80eb05.jpg
So if you guys have any suggestions or creatures you think we should definitely take a look at, let us know here!

How bout the Bronto

5 hours ago, SubtendedCrib8 said:

I agree, it could use another ability. Maybe a stomp? Or an ability to actually grab things and use its arms and legs to slash it? IRL Rex obviously wouldn't just bite everything. It's theorized that it would've used it's arms and legs to help hold down or slash its prey while the head, with that powerful bite force, crushed it. 

On that same note, I mentioned this in an earlier comment, but it would be nice if the larger theropods had abilities like that, that help deal more damage if they are able to hold on to their prey. Also just be able to carry and hold on to creatures in general.

Also, unrelated but still relevant, as I have also previously stated, it would be amazing if all the creatures got an AI overhaul so the carnivores aren't mindless monsters attacking everything in sight, but rather acted like real animals, and had AI similar to the hyenadon to where it attacks animals it doesn't attack in the wild simply because they're tamed, and the herbivores actually did something like graze, and move in packs, and not just stand there waiting to be killed like a mindless zombie.

Re AI, I'd like to see all males of the same species fighting it out to drive each other away from the females. That alone would be pretty darn sweet. 

But the prey lists need some serious attention, and all dinos should flee larger predators than themselves, including the smaller predators. For example. no rex would tolerate allosaurs stepping on its feet, and no allosaur would be stupid enough to walk under the mouth of a rex. Prey animals recognize predators as threats, smaller predators recognize bigger predators as threats, and bigger predators recognize anything smaller than themselves as prey. 

Some love for the doed please! I just found out it can't mine obsidian in most places, only the caldera on The Island and a couple other spots. ...what? 

Compare it to the anky. The anky can mine all the good stuff at 4* or 5* rate, including metal, crystal and flint at 5*, obsidian and berries at 4* and rare mushrooms at 5*.  I mean, just look at it - https://ark.gamepedia.com/Ankylosaurus#Collectibles

Why not shift a couple of those gathers over to the doed? Like obsidian, sulfur and oil. The anky's list would still look exceptional (metal, crystal, flint and all the organics) but the doed would pick up a lot of value as a tame. 

• Jatheish locked and unlocked this topic
  • Jatheish unpinned and unfeatured this topic

Archived