Dino TLC: Feedback! Suggestions?

Jatheish

47 minutes ago, Ipsedia said:

don't just put bleeding on everything, yeah it makes sence but there is no longer a point to it

by that logic they should remove dinos from needing to be fed - make it a feature only for some dinos - preferably remove it from the ones that eat fish only - it would make filling those feeding bins easier.

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, pixelrobot said:

by that logic they should remove dinos from needing to be fed - make it a feature only for some dinos - preferably remove it from the ones that eat fish only - it would make filling those feeding bins easier.

really? strawman?

alright everything causes bleeding now, then to counterbalance every dino healthpool is increased, then everything that had the bleeding effect before it was globalized gets a "stronger bleeding" and you end back to the beginning

and don't forget every mid-big dino kills you in one bite because it can just swallow a player

2 minutes ago, Ipsedia said:

really? strawman?

alright everything causes bleeding now, then to counterbalance every dino healthpool is increased, then everything that had the bleeding effect before it was globalized gets a "stronger bleeding" and you end back to the beginning

and don't forget every mid-big dino kills you in one bite because it can just swallow a player

You opened with a strawman. Nobody said apply it to all dinos, just where it fits. I wouldnt suggest a bronto cause bleed, but a rex - it fits.

A bronto should have a chance to topple it's adversary - or stun it. I mean that tail is huge. Likewise an ankylo should be able to do the same.

It should all be dependent on what the creature is attacking too. If a scorpion stings a dodo - it should KO immediately - but if it stings a bronto it shouldnt have any effect.

These are all things that would take maybe a meeting to work out the tiers of creatures based on size/tankiness and then work out how they would interact with eachother to make combat more interesting.

But no - lets just have them mash into eachother and the one with the best health to damage ratio wins... zzzz.

9 minutes ago, pixelrobot said:

You opened with a strawman. Nobody said apply it to all dinos, just where it fits. I wouldnt suggest a bronto cause bleed, but a rex - it fits.

A bronto should have a chance to topple it's adversary - or stun it. I mean that tail is huge. Likewise an ankylo should be able to do the same.

It should all be dependent on what the creature is attacking too. If a scorpion stings a dodo - it should KO immediately - but if it stings a bronto it shouldnt have any effect.

These are all things that would take maybe a meeting to work out the tiers of creatures based on size/tankiness and then work out how they would interact with eachother to make combat more interesting.

But no - lets just have them mash into eachother and the one with the best health to damage ratio wins... zzzz.

do you realize how powerful bleed is? there's a reason so few dinos have it, imagine a Rex or spino dealing 5% of a targets HP pool over 5 seconds IN ADDITION to there already high damage and bulk. and that's excluding the slow effect which would make it impossible to get away. again, there's a reason why only 3 dinos apply that effect (although i'm pretty sure only 2 are intended). It's just to powerful to be widely used

15 minutes ago, pixelrobot said:

that wasn't a strawman, status effects are sopposed to be special 
you will never archive that on a game with stats and levels, otherwise just remove it, a bunch of creatures that look the same shouldn't have more or less health/attack than the other, otherwise everything with a "sharp" attack or big extremities that can crush you internally should cause bleeding, even the stone hatched should
and everything should have an alpha buff, and a bronto tail should just one hit even a rex, hell a diplodocus tailswipe should one hit it if it get attacks
its a game, it need to have a balance between where the realism stops and the gameplay starts
othewhise I welcome the max speed hit and run thorny dragon meta then, because thats 5% hp gone just by trowing spikes on anything but the crab/turtle/titano

4 minutes ago, Umber0010 said:

do you realize how powerful bleed is? there's a reason so few dinos have it, imagine a Rex or spino dealing 5% of a targets HP pool over 5 seconds IN ADDITION to there already high damage and bulk. and that's excluding the slow effect which would make it impossible to get away. again, there's a reason why only 3 dinos apply that effect (although i'm pretty sure only 2 are intended). It's just to powerful to be widely used

I'm speaking strictly from a pve perspective here - because lets face it, pvp will always and has always been broken (recent events further highlight that fact).

That being said, do you think twice before encountering a WILD rex or spino?

would you rather take on a pack of allos, a giga - or the supposed king of the dinosaurs - tyranosaurus-stuck-on-a-rock-turns-like-a-truck-rex?

If you can't see a spino or rex coming to avoid their bleed then you deserve to be slowed, and killed.

Pve is incredibly boring late game because there is no danger. Thats why the pve servers are full of people breeding god ugly mutated abominations instead of fighting together to survive.

38 minutes ago, Ipsedia said:

really? strawman?

Yes! Exactly. Just add "if you're wearing chitin armor or up, on the first attack they toss you away after a couple of chews, and if you annoy them again they tear you to pieces" and you've got it exactly where I want it. 

Except for the part where bleeding effect is ridiculous-looking and slows you too. Bleeding should drain *some* stam instead of slowing imo. 

6 minutes ago, Ipsedia said:

that wasn't a strawman, status effects are sopposed to be special 
you will never archive that on a game with stats and levels, otherwise just remove it, a bunch of creatures that look the same shouldn't have more or less health/attack than the other, otherwise everything with a "sharp" attack or big extremities that can crush you internally should cause bleeding, even the stone hatched should
and everything should have an alpha buff, and a bronto tail should just one hit even a rex, hell a diplodocus tailswipe should one hit it if it get attacks
its a game, it need to have a balance between where the realism stops and the gameplay starts
othewhise I welcome the max speed hit and run thorny dragon meta then, because thats 5% hp gone just by trowing spikes on anything but the crab/turtle/titano

im all for removing levels, from both players and the game. would make balancing this mess a whole lot easier :)

the problem with ark and wildcard as a whole is they can't decide what direction they want this game to go.

You have an ultra harsh, grindy survival game where the cold and heat and the need to eat and drink are constantly a threat... and then you have toilets giving you a buff when you poop in them and magical pigs healing other creatures like some kind of MOBA.

Anyway agree to disagree - you guys like the status-quo - i think the game would be better if it took itself a little more seriously.

29 minutes ago, pixelrobot said:

im all for removing levels, from both players and the game. would make balancing this mess a whole lot easier :)

the problem with ark and wildcard as a whole is they can't decide what direction they want this game to go.

You have an ultra harsh, grindy survival game where the cold and heat and the need to eat and drink are constantly a threat... and then you have toilets giving you a buff when you poop in them and magical pigs healing other creatures like some kind of MOBA.

Anyway agree to disagree - you guys like the status-quo - i think the game would be better if it took itself a little more seriously.

I'm sorry, but how does a healing pig make ARK a MOBA?

the standared MOBA has a small arena with multiple lanes, and the goal of the game is to destroy opposing towers and eventually destroy the structure at the center of the opponents base. ARK has NONE of these things. It's a huge open world, players can build there bases, you don't start with dinos or abilities, you have to earn them. and abilities like the heal pig aren't even original to MOBAs, while i'm no expert, i imagine that kind of thing would be more so from RPGs.

Also, allow me to re-re-reiterate, If the only thing differentiating something is stats, then there's no reason to use the weaker one. For example, let's say we had two guns, a pistol and an AK-47/ the pistol may be slightly more accurate or slow me down less when firing, but overall the AK-47 will be the better option in almost every situation. it's statistically stronger. now, let's say i gave that pistol an attachment that allowed it to launch grenade on a short fuse. This would give me a reason to use both guns. the AK-47 would be stronger in fire fights, but the pistol would have a high burst damage and the ability to bunch grenades off walls to hit enemies behind cover. There would be a reason to choose the pistol over the AK-47, but it's not just a straight upgrade. Now let's say we gave the AK-47 the same grenade launcher attachment. well, then we're right back to square one. i have no reason to choose the pistol over the AK-47 sense they both have that grenade launcher.

And it's the same with Dinos, let's say i had a rex and an Allo, as it stands, the Allos pack bonus and bleed give me a reason to use them over the rex. now let's say that the Rex gets bleed attack, well then i have no reason to use the allo, it's statistically weaker than the rex and a pack of rexes will be more effective than a pack of allos. Now let's look at the Trike and Pachyrhino. If the Pachyrhino lost it's essence abilities (pretty sure you mentioned that one). and became just a weaker trike, then why should i EVER use the pachy? the trike would be able to do everything the Pachy can, but better.

the new direwolf model looks very good but i was hoping for the angrier one to take place into the game , maybe if u could make it change stances like Aggressive/Passive mode ?or a skin slot same as the bunny procoptodon and the raindeer megaloceros . I don't know what are u planning for it but i want my dire wolfs to look ferocious  predators not pet dogs

19 hours ago, pixelrobot said:

Agree 100% when it simply becomes a game of health vs damage it gets boring, much more could be done with the combat 

I knew I had forgot some things in my last previous post xD And here what came in my mind (Sorry for some mistakes, I'm not English =P) :
-Quetzal. Is a BIG flyer, it shouldn't aggro on itself dilos, raptors, T-Birds and carnos (and other smaller predators). Quetzals were known to eat smaller dinos and even Rex Pups when their parents weresn't around. Actually it has the same problem that had the Diplo. Same for the Basilisk. I hope it will be fixed too. For now is like a Titanoboa. I can't even go around with it because everything aggroes on me. And we're speaking of a venomous snake that usually a creature would avoid on sight xD

- Titanosaur. I was very interested in making it a permanent tame. BUT! Just release a code like the Raid Dino feeding so people won't complain and it will be up to the Admin to enable it or not, but leave also the Raid Dino Feeding, in case the admin doesn't want make it permanent. On official maybe it won't change but it would be nice not being forced to forcefeed it every day (in Single Player or a private server). A friend of mine made it last 12 weeks, he forgot to feed it and it died in one day. At least taming one will worth the effort and the resouces and the time. And yeah, we can have a limit of one per tribe. Having a mobile base would be very useful.

If something else comes in my mind I think i'll update this post instead of posting again ^^

While the TLC for the Rex is up for discussion, I would love to see the Rex's damage brought in line with other creatures (not the giga). For example, the Plesi (which I currently like and certainly am not asking for a nerf for) deals 75 base damage with a much smaller and less toothy maw than the Rex who deals 62 base damage. My suggestion would be to up the Rex's damage to 75 as it surely could do as much damage as the Plesi seeing it could fit far more of an organism into its mouth.

I love the TLC pass and am excited to see what you come up with! Thanks.

1 hour ago, adv3rsity said:

While the TLC for the Rex is up for discussion, I would love to see the Rex's damage brought in line with other creatures (not the giga). For example, the Plesi (which I currently like and certainly am not asking for a nerf for) deals 75 base damage with a much smaller and less toothy maw than the Rex who deals 62 base damage. My suggestion would be to up the Rex's damage to 75 as it surely could do as much damage as the Plesi seeing it could fit far more of an organism into its mouth.

Not to mention the tyrannosaurus rex in real life had the strongest bite force on record of any animal (yes I know this is technically the T. dominum, but still)

On 19/12/2017 at 2:24 AM, Jatheish said:

Hey everyone,

In our most recent crunch, we were able to give you a quick glance at the upcoming Dino TLC. We'd love to collect more visual specific feedback about our creatures, whether you think there are any which are in definite need of some TLC, as well as your thoughts on what you've seen so far! Keep in mind, they're still WIP and are subject to change. 

For those of you who hadn't seen the mention in the crunch, here's a recap:

Dino TLC Preview

large.TLCRex.jpg

Now that Aberration has been released the question on your mind might be: what's in-store next for ARK?

Today we're excited to share with you the first few images of our Dino TLC update that is currently being worked on. These images are still work-in-progress and are therefore subject to change before final release, but here are the updated Rex, Ape, and Dire Wolf models.

large.TLCApe.jpg

Studio Wildcard started out as a small studio and as we've progressed through ARKs development, we've grown tremendously! We've been able to bring on very talented animators and character artists to work on the project. 

You've seen some of their work in our more recent creatures and expansion packs, and now they'll be taking their abilities and showing some love to some of the original creatures we launched with. We're excited to see where these creatures go with the new advanced techniques and can't wait to show you how they turn out!

large.WolfTLC.jpg

So if you guys have any suggestions or creatures you think we should definitely take a look at, let us know here!

I like very nice more real dinos

9 hours ago, Dougdimmadome2 said:

it would be cool if big dinos like rex or giga could slip and fall on there side causing massive damage if they get hit by a creature as big or bigger than them on there side or legs, but this would be rare and very hard to pull off.

I'd love to see that, have creatures rag doll if they get knocked over dismounting the rider - i'd also like to see wild creatures take fall damage... but i know these things come with issues and it won't happen :(

34 minutes ago, pixelrobot said:

I'd love to see that, have creatures rag doll if they get knocked over dismounting the rider - i'd also like to see wild creatures take fall damage... but i know these things come with issues and it won't happen :(

No! Do not dismiss the chance. Let's let the developers decide what they can do :) 

On something of the same topic, I'd like to see collision damage from creatures. Big creatures like brontos running into your wall should shake it and cause damage (there's even a dust effect for walls fyi). I'd rather see this as an attack than aggroed creatures trying to chomp the wall. They should be bashing into it to knock it down, and that's an application of the knockback effect we already have in game. 

Similarly there should be bash damage against players and other dinos. Big dinos should = scary for a number of reasons, and getting knocked around by one should be one of them imo.

6 hours ago, adv3rsity said:

on my experimental server settings, all wild dinos have x2 damage and all creatures with historically powerful bites have another x1.5 on top of that (total 3x). It feels so right to be scared of a Rex no matter what you're riding. Megalodons too, they are not to be taken casually.

Interestingly, this brings damage for wilds into line with new tames of the same original level. A 150 wild is about equal to a fresh 224 tame. That also feels very right. I'm not sure why the free levels for taming even exist, actually. I'd rather a model where you lose levels if it's not a perfect tame and the damage is amped equally for both. Less powertripping, moar struggling to win = longer term satisfaction imo.

46 minutes ago, Milsurp said:

on my experimental server settings, all wild dinos have x2 damage and all creatures with historically powerful bites have another x1.5 on top of that (total 3x). It feels so right to be scared of a Rex no matter what you're riding. Megalodons too, they are not to be taken casually.

Interestingly, this brings damage for wilds into line with new tames of the same original level. A 150 wild is about equal to a fresh 224 tame. That also feels very right. I'm not sure why the free levels for taming even exist, actually. I'd rather a model where you lose levels if it's not a perfect tame and the damage is amped equally for both. Less powertripping, moar struggling to win = longer term satisfaction imo.

Sounds awesome man, and thats a great point about a tame gaining points. You've just broken the creature, and nurtured it back to health - if anything it should lose vitality after such an ordeal.

15 minutes ago, pixelrobot said:

Sounds awesome man, and thats a great point about a tame gaining points. You've just broken the creature, and nurtured it back to health - if anything it should lose vitality after such an ordeal.

Adding in the saddle boost, it's already going to be advantaged when equipped and leveled. The fact that the dino can be not OP also opens up a related possibility - for the rider of any dino to be able to use weapons while the dino attacks. The reason many dinos don't allow that is because they're too powerful on their own. (There is an older mod that does allow tames to attack as wilds, so this is a possible thing.)

Wish I had the time to learn to mod, I'd see about sorting this balance issue out. I totally want my dino to attack on its own while I use weapons.  

In my opinion at least I think the humanoid creatures should be able to wear a full set of armor. The bigfoot can wear any armor we can wear. For example the hazard suit on aberration if they decide to let vanilla dinos on there or a modded map and they get the full hazard suit buff. And the Rock elemental doesn't seem to have a use since they are a glass cannon for how hard it is to tame. (My tribe was only on primitive before the servers became legacy and had to use a catapult and we needed over 3000 boulders to knock out a 150). I think the golem can have the saddle still plus have two other options. One option is a set of armor that goes on the saddle slot which gives the most armor but can't be ridden. And the second could be a mix of both the saddle and the armor set but doesn't have the best armor as the suit itself but still better than the saddle itself

10 hours ago, pixelrobot said:

if you broke a creature feeding it won't do jack. not saying it's a bad idea, but flawed logic is still flawed logic

Xiphactinus should be introduced to the game and take the role of the megalodon as the early water agressive tame. Xipactinus is a medium size carnivore fish, living at the same period as the mosasaurus, during the cretaceous.

Megalodon should be entierly rework : new model, new animation and get bigger by 50%. 

It should be a middle game tame, and specualized in combat by an increasement of its melee damage and health. Plus his bite has a chance to inflict bleeding damage. Finally, it should have the same new ability of the direwolf to indicate low health creatures, explorer notes and loot crates.

(sorry if my english looks bad or basic, but i wanted to share my opinion. Hope you like the idea)

• Jatheish locked and unlocked this topic
  • Jatheish unpinned and unfeatured this topic

Archived