Dino TLC: Feedback! Suggestions?

Jatheish

Remove the poop lock mechanic for the rex and replace it with an actual feature that isn't a joke. It was known to have a septic bite, it had a bone crushing bite more powerful than any other land dinosaur. It had the best vision of any land creature ever.. Such an awesome animal I wish the devs will consider giving it a gameplay feature actually worth implementing.

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, RexManRex said:

Remove the poop lock mechanic for the rex and replace it with an actual feature that isn't a joke. It was known to have a septic bite, it had a bone crushing bite more powerful than any other land dinosaur. It had the best vision of any land creature ever.. Such an awesome animal I wish the devs will consider giving it a gameplay feature actually worth implementing.

did you read the patch notes? there's a cooldown so you can't pooplock. and the whole reason that hey added that ability was so the rex didn't become OP.

14 minutes ago, Umber0010 said:

did you read the patch notes? there's a cooldown so you can't pooplock. and the whole reason that hey added that ability was so the rex didn't become OP.

Ah I was confused I thought the feature was called poop lock lol, anyhow it's still a stupid feature and just feels gimmicky. 

30 minutes ago, RexManRex said:

Ah I was confused I thought the feature was called poop lock lol, anyhow it's still a stupid feature and just feels gimmicky. 

well, you said it yourself, it's a joke. imagine the current rex, but with an ability that allows you to see enemy health bars (reference to the good sight) or giving it the ability to instantly injure regardless of health, making it impossible to escape. Seems a bit OP right?

1 hour ago, Umber0010 said:

Seems a bit OP right?

That is what they said, but I'd like to know what they consider OP, and why Rex is seemingly the only one that they're so worried about overpowering. Argent and Spino are getting massively buffed, Giga is still a thing, and there is talk of Titanosaur becoming a permanent tame.

To paraphrase what they said: "Rex is in a pretty strong spot. Sure he gets his butt kicked by Giga. Sure Theri is better in the boss arena, has better harvesting capabilities, and is at least comparable to the Rex in PvP. But people do still use Rex. And if people use him then it must mean that he's a top-tier dino, because it's not like he's this iconic legend that would get used for his popularity or anything."

Rex is just in this weird spot where he can't have utility because he is supposedly sacrificing that for high stats, but he can't actually have high stats because he was designated as a mid-game tame and winning fights would apparently be OP. So he just ends up with a decent health pool, underwhelming melee, and a poop gimmick.

8 minutes ago, Lockjaw said:

That is what they said, but I'd like to know what they consider OP, and why Rex is seemingly the only one that they're so worried about overpowering. Argent and Spino are getting massively buffed, Giga is still a thing, and there is talk of Titanosaur becoming a permanent tame.

To paraphrase what they said: "Rex is in a pretty strong spot. Sure he gets his butt kicked by Giga. Sure Theri is better in the boss arena, has better harvesting capabilities, and is at least comparable to the Rex in PvP. But people do still use Rex. And if people use him then it must mean that he's a top-tier dino, because it's not like he's this iconic legend that would get used for his popularity or anything."

Rex is just in this weird spot where he can't have utility because he is supposedly sacrificing that for high stats, but he can't actually have high stats because he was designated as a mid-game tame and winning fights would apparently be OP. So he just ends up with a decent health pool, underwhelming melee, and a poop gimmick.

You have hit the nail on the head, the rex deserves to be a top tier dino, in my opinion THE top tier carnivore.. When you see the rex and therizino side by side, the sheer size difference between the two would lead you to believe that the rex would stomp the theri pretty handily. 

2 hours ago, Umber0010 said:

well, you said it yourself, it's a joke. imagine the current rex, but with an ability that allows you to see enemy health bars (reference to the good sight) or giving it the ability to instantly injure regardless of health, making it impossible to escape. Seems a bit OP right?

It's a T-Rex, it makes zero sense for the giga to have over 6 times the base damage. 

If they balanced the abilities given to the rex then no it wouldn't be op.

400 base dmg for the giga however is, and I say this as someone with plenty of gigas on official. 

1 minute ago, RexManRex said:

It's a T-Rex, it makes zero sense for the giga to have over 6 times the base damage. 

400 base dmg for the giga however is, and I say this as someone with plenty of gigas on official. 

Gigas are ment to be pure damage dealers, they have reduced stat scaling, and there rage means that they can turn on you

Spiders- able to climb walls and maybe be a little bit bigger

Spino- I like the new model, but according to the fossil record, its the largest theropod, with the giga being second and the rex being third or 4th (i think carcharodontosaurus is actually 3rd) so should be a bit bigger than the rex

Giga- maybe scale it down some? not really a concern, just a realism thing

Terror bird- update the model to be more terrifying and closer to the real life counterpart

Carno- just do a model update since its a little derpy compared to the modern models, and maybe add a headbutt attack with the horns since the dossier mentions them using the horns, and maybe not have tiny worthless arms?

Trike- the real life counterpart was the size of an african elephant, so scale it up some to be a proper match for the rex, and give the model a little bit of love (while keeping the overall design the same, as the dossier mentions the head crest and such) and possibly add a charge attack like the rhino, and maybe a damage buff against rexes or something?

Mosa- scale it up and update the model some to bring it back to being the king of the deep

megalodon- scale it up and update the model. Current state is just a slightly larger than average great white, and not the true terror it wouldve been in real life, and maybe make them spawn a little less frequently? Its crazy hard to do anything in the water when 9 of them spawn in the same area

bronto- make it a little more worth taming by increasing weight and health stats

most herbivores- give a herd boost to things like trikes, brontos, pachyrhinosauruses, mammoth etc that travel in herds that gives a health regen boost or something and actually eat trees and bushes, not just trampling and deforesting areas by walking

carbonymous- add an ability to retreat into its shell

dilo- model update so its easier on the eyes, because it looks like a mess of quills, and give it a speed boost so its not hobbling around so much

hyena- match the picture in the dossier a little more

icthyornis- the dossier says skittish, but it attacks on sight, so none of that

icthyosaurus- model update

liopleurodon- i like the reference, but its an incredible waste of time to time, so maybe get rid of the timer? like maybe set it to where you can permanently keep it, but the boost wears off with time, or set it to disappear after a certain amount of damage has been taken, either in a fight or from starvation or something

mammoth- model update, its kinda derpy, and maybe make it so wood weighs less since its good at collecting it

megaloceros- give the female some kind of attack, like a kick

mesopithicus- stop being so glitchy

pegomastax- model update so its not so friggin ugly, and maybe make it have a cool down on stealing items that dont tame it?

piranha- model update, and maybe a way to catch it and put it in a fish tank? same with coel

plesiosaur- model update, make it more terrifying to look at

pteranodon- give the model a little bit of love, and make it a little bit bigger

scorpion- make it breedable

quetzal- make it bigger, and with a regular (no) saddle have it stand upright like it depicts in the dossier 

raptor- model update, bring this beloved animal to the same standard as the newer creatures and models

sarco- model update, and a death roll attack like modern crocodiles and alligators 

stego- model update

tapejara- maybe not sprint away before you can get close enough to trap it

titanomyrma- scale it up so its actually the size of a dog

troodon- be more useful in sp

all carnivores- act like real animals, and not mindless monsters that attack everything on sight, save for the large ones like rex, giga and spino and the sea predators, which would realistically need to eat a lot

players- actual walking animation, not a baywatch run, more facial presets, and ~maybe~ a voice option? like a couple of different grunts, able to lower your weapon/tool, not just put it away, and maybe a few more slider options? just to add a little more uniqueness to your character

Now of course there's no way all of these would happen, it'd be too expensive and time consuming, and a few of them (like the sizes of the theropods) really aren't necessary, but would be nice as a realism and immersion thing, and these are just changes that, in my opinion, are necessary, at least a few, to give the older or less popular dinos some much needed love and attention, but aren't required by me to continue playing.

18 minutes ago, SubtendedCrib8 said:

Carno- just do a model update since its a little derpy compared to the modern models, and maybe add a headbutt attack with the horns since the dossier mentions them using the horns, and maybe not have tiny worthless arms?

Mosa- scale it up and update the model some to bring it back to being the king of the deep

hyena- match the picture in the dossier a little more

icthyornis- the dossier says skittish, but it attacks on sight, so none of that

liopleurodon- i like the reference, but its an incredible waste of time to time, so maybe get rid of the timer? like maybe set it to where you can permanently keep it, but the boost wears off with time, or set it to disappear after a certain amount of damage has been taken, either in a fight or from starvation or something

mammoth- model update, its kinda derpy, and maybe make it so wood weighs less since its good at collecting it

raptor- model update, bring this beloved animal to the same standard as the newer creatures and models

Shortened your message to answer only some.

Carnotaurus is an abelisaurid, and they had ridiculously small hands. Smaller than T rex had, when compared to body. If we're trying to be realistic, the arms are too large! But Carno does need a little bit of tweaking to match the current knowledge of it's skin patterns, maybe even have a little bit shorter snout. It was a really weird looking one.

Mosa is actually already much larger than it was in real life.

Hyeanodon is my pet peeve. What we have in ARK now is just an oversized hyena, not a Hyeanodon. Two very, very different things. For one Hyeanodon didn't have sloping back, their heads were larger, and they were definitely not pack hunters. Small brains, not very smart animals. Their head was all jaw muscle.

i mostly agree. Maybe have them only attack and steal fish from inventories, ignoring everything else and leaving you alone once you have no fish?

Lio should at least have a permanent variant, or have it's magic effect wear down and leave just a basic, tamed Lio.

Mammoth is a bit derpy, and the green color options don't make it any better. Ot also would benefit from a small plat saddle, I think. And they already have a pretty nice wood weight reduction.

Raptor model has been announced to get TLC update. Although I fear it will stay mostly the same. Another pet peeve of mine.

2 hours ago, RexManRex said:

From a pve perspective I agree - id like to see the rex and spino buffed in the wild to the point where i wouldnt risk approaching them like the giga.

On land, I wont mess with giga because the damage output is insane, theriz because it can chase you down and deal huge damage and allo because you get locked in place with bleed.

Rex - if it attacks me I can always run away if things are looking bad - and the spino - well it's a joke - if it doesnt get distracted mid fight its usually dead pretty quickly anyway due to it's weak hp.

1 hour ago, Ihmislehma said:

Shortened your message to answer only some.

Carnotaurus is an abelisaurid, and they had ridiculously small hands. Smaller than T rex had, when compared to body. If we're trying to be realistic, the arms are too large! But Carno does need a little bit of tweaking to match the current knowledge of it's skin patterns, maybe even have a little bit shorter snout. It was a really weird looking one.

Mosa is actually already much larger than it was in real life.

Hyeanodon is my pet peeve. What we have in ARK now is just an oversized hyena, not a Hyeanodon. Two very, very different things. For one Hyeanodon didn't have sloping back, their heads were larger, and they were definitely not pack hunters. Small brains, not very smart animals. Their head was all jaw muscle.

i mostly agree. Maybe have them only attack and steal fish from inventories, ignoring everything else and leaving you alone once you have no fish?

Lio should at least have a permanent variant, or have it's magic effect wear down and leave just a basic, tamed Lio.

Mammoth is a bit derpy, and the green color options don't make it any better. Ot also would benefit from a small plat saddle, I think. And they already have a pretty nice wood weight reduction.

Raptor model has been announced to get TLC update. Although I fear it will stay mostly the same. Another pet peeve of mine.

carno- yeah true, I suppose it would just be nice to see it be able to do something with them, same with rex

Mosa for sure is bigger, but (when released) was supposed to be somewhat of the underwater rex/giga (if I remember correctly) but besides the platform saddle and the achievement, I never have much of a reason to get one, and plus being more imposing would just make it a little bit cooler, but like I said, a lot of my suggestions probably aren't feasible 

the two things I reeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaally hope to see is an AI overhaul that makes them act like actual animals, not just mindless monsters

10 minutes ago, SubtendedCrib8 said:

carno- yeah true, I suppose it would just be nice to see it be able to do something with them, same with rex

Mosa for sure is bigger, but (when released) was supposed to be somewhat of the underwater rex/giga (if I remember correctly) but besides the platform saddle and the achievement, I never have much of a reason to get one, and plus being more imposing would just make it a little bit cooler, but like I said, a lot of my suggestions probably aren't feasible 

the two things I reeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaally hope to see is an AI overhaul that makes them act like actual animals, not just mindless monsters

Heh well, the arms likely had a purpose in interspecies actions, like mating. And as for the Rex arms... eugh, why did they have to go the "zombie" route? Theropod hands faced each other.

Understandable, though for me it's mostly "meh" anyway. I'm not too interested in water dinos anyway, and the rare instance of me doing extended diving usually means I go the other way if I see Mosas or Tusos. I don't get why Plesios are aggressive though. They were fish eaters.

And I totally agree with you on this. I have a lot to say when it comes to AI and behaviour, but sadly don't think any of it matters to WC anyway. Predators being mental is definitely one large annoyance, as is certain meat eaters ganging up on tohers. As is herbivores just hanging about until they are attacked. So many nitpicks.

19 minutes ago, Ihmislehma said:

Heh well, the arms likely had a purpose in interspecies actions, like mating. And as for the Rex arms... eugh, why did they have to go the "zombie" route? Theropod hands faced each other.

Understandable, though for me it's mostly "meh" anyway. I'm not too interested in water dinos anyway, and the rare instance of me doing extended diving usually means I go the other way if I see Mosas or Tusos. I don't get why Plesios are aggressive though. They were fish eaters.

And I totally agree with you on this. I have a lot to say when it comes to AI and behaviour, but sadly don't think any of it matters to WC anyway. Predators being mental is definitely one large annoyance, as is certain meat eaters ganging up on tohers. As is herbivores just hanging about until they are attacked. So many nitpicks.

Nitpick away, just be aware that the developers and the in-game lore have indicated that the animals in the game aren't meant to be exact representations of real world animals...live or extinct. It's a game, not a simulation, meaning their looks and behavior will never be spot on...especially considering we have little clue how a large majority of the creatures in this game looked or behaved. As with all games, the behavior of the creatures is more reflective of the nature of the game objectives, and not necessarily reflective of reality.

tl;dr - Pretty much all of it is artistic liberty, and that's been no secret from the early stages. Don't get too hung up on the trivial stuff if you're just looking to have fun playing a game. The new changes look pretty awesome, and overall the art quality is going up...but I wouldn't personally expect or demand realism.

38 minutes ago, Ihmislehma said:

With the rex I'd like to see them be used in combat, similar to how it may have used them in real life, to gash its prey it's biting in to

I'm not too interested in the water stuff either, but when I go down it would be nice to see the apex predator be just that, and it is odd that plesios attack, especially given the size of their head compared to players, and their diet

It would be amazing if they did, but I agree I don't think WC is paying much attention to it

On 1/28/2018 at 8:27 PM, Umber0010 said:

Ok, to all the blokes that want dino abilitys removed. Can't you imagine how boring that would be? all that would be worth using are Rexes, gigas, and something to harvest berries. there would be no reason to tame the Statistically weaker dinos that currently ave something special to them. No reason to tame Basilos, Thylas, Yutys, Kentros, Arthros, Gigantopithicus, Daeodons, Mantis, Lystros, Pachyrhinos, Iguanadons, Equus, Basically everything that trades stats for a special ability would become useless

Ok to all the blokes that think super-chickens pecking each other is how dino combat should be. Don't you realize how boring that is, and how these magical powers are put in to offset that boredom to some degree? Now if dino combat is NOT boring, if you can pick a dino up with your Rex and fling it, if you can target a critical area like the neck or leg for a bite-and-pin move, AND IF THE OTHER DINO CAN DO THAT TO YOU TOO - do you see how amazing dino combat COULD be?

And how unnecessary those immersion-breaking magic powers (borrowed from completely different game genres I might add) really are? 

And re dino types, you realize they're substantially different in physical abilities and behaviors, or at least they should and CAN be if developed. That's the unexplored potential of the game, and I think it's a waste not to go there and see how cool things can be. 

12 hours ago, RexManRex said:

They've got the mechanics in game - pick up smaller dinos, bite and shake them and drop them. The Megalodon could use that too, it's actually exactly how sharks bite prey. 

On 1/29/2018 at 3:30 PM, Umber0010 said:

Sorry, had School. Now i want to re-iterate, imagine how BORING dinos would be without "Superpowers". Barys would just be swimming raptors instead of the manta and megaladon stunning mount we know them as. Basilos would just be weaker mosas instead of the CC immune whales with good regen. Daeadons would just be pigs instead of the incredibly useful Medic. Pachyrhinos would just be weaker trikes instead of the dino that lets you get past enemies undetected or lets even the most docile of creatures get mad at you. Thylas would just be quick mammles instead of the climbing ambushers that are great for travel. Tusos would just be squids instead of the Vampiric Cephalapods that can drain the life of even the largests of the ocean's beasts. if the only thing separating creatures was stats, then each dino creature would be lame. 

to put it bluntly, you're overthinking things, and this is coming from someone who tried to figure out Why wyvern's can't breed in Captivity and produce milk. I'm also trying to figure out the Chemicle composition of element. but that aside not every dino needs to do things like Pin prey, impale creatures, or Switch between bipedal or Quadpedal. If you do that, then nothing would be special. 

And in regards to your "camps" thing. Look through this thread, because I've seen most, if not all of it and you and @LinuxGyver are the only two people who want to reduce dinos to mundane models with stats. nearly every other of the 17 pages of posts is suggesting cool new abilities for dinos. so while your "camp" exists, it's seemingly only 1 or 2 tents.

And you're confusing innate abilities like the ability to climb a tree with the magic buffage stuffage. Like, everything you've mentioned would actually stay if you removed the inappropriate stuff we're on about. Why would a thylaco not climb a tree to ambush prey? Why would Daeodons be bad without magic healing? (They're damn OP as it is, frankly. Pigs are known omnivores and have a fast trot that uses little stamina - they're kind of like a low-end bear tame imo. How is that bad without magic healing?) Squids DO pin their prey with tentacles, why would that change? 

I think you're overthinking things yourself. If every dino had abilities like they did in real life, their innate differences would give us plenty of variety. For example, you can't catch a quick animal with a Rex if that animal has the appropriate flee mechanic, and that mechanic is in game - just look at the tapajara. Any big water dino should be immune to small animal stuns / dismounts, but they're very different creatures and should be different in purpose (they are somewhat because of platform saddles, but not a lot, and they should actually be.) So if the game did give us realistic dino behaviors, you would always need the appropriate dino for the job or to add your skill to make up the difference. 

And regarding camp sizes, please look up survivorship bias and the stats on how many people bought this game and no longer play it. Judging by that, those who think the game's approach is fine are a tiny minority of the playerbase. So at this point, it's the ones that are disagreeing with the current approach that have the best chance of representing the majority, not the ones agreeing with it. 

6 hours ago, LouSpowells said:

Nitpick away, just be aware that the developers and the in-game lore have indicated that the animals in the game aren't meant to be exact representations of real world animals...live or extinct. It's a game, not a simulation, meaning their looks and behavior will never be spot on...especially considering we have little clue how a large majority of the creatures in this game looked or behaved. As with all games, the behavior of the creatures is more reflective of the nature of the game objectives, and not necessarily reflective of reality.

tl;dr - Pretty much all of it is artistic liberty, and that's been no secret from the early stages. Don't get too hung up on the trivial stuff if you're just looking to have fun playing a game. The new changes look pretty awesome, and overall the art quality is going up...but I wouldn't personally expect or demand realism.

I know and understand that. I struggle sometimes to bring my enthusiasm and love for realism and ARK's artistic freedom together.

Yes, we know Raptors didn't look that, on average. But you know what Raptors look like what we have in ARK? Jurassic Park ones. They do it down to some of the sounds and even animations. I get it, it's popular. But the Raptor just feels so very, very wrong to me. (Raptor, Hyeanodon and a couple other are my favorite dinos to nitpick :P). I remember when I first got this game and saw the raptor... boy was I disappointed. But considering how it's largely a Jurassic Park homage now, I don't believe they will go the feathery fluffaraptor route that I'd love to see.

5 hours ago, SubtendedCrib8 said:

With the rex I'd like to see them be used in combat, similar to how it may have used them in real life, to gash its prey it's biting in to

I'm not too interested in the water stuff either, but when I go down it would be nice to see the apex predator be just that, and it is odd that plesios attack, especially given the size of their head compared to players, and their diet

It would be amazing if they did, but I agree I don't think WC is paying much attention to it

Rex was an apex predator. It had huge eyes and extremely good eyesight, and perhaps the best smelling ability of anything we know. It was the bloodhound of the dinosaurs. It was also pretty fast for it's size, and had extreme biteforce. It was likely both scavenger and active hunter. What I'd love them to do with Rex is make sure it ignores small fry. Gnash would be horrible though, I can imagine beign gnashed and unable to escape, and losing everything. Yikes.

If they developed water play more, made oceans less "wade in, get nommed" and added more neutral dinos, I'd love that. Maybe I'd be more into it. Maybe add seals that flee on land but fight back in water. Or have more untamable fish pop up and try to nom you or your tame. Give more ways to counter stun lock than just basilo, maybe an edible that gives a buff that lets you escape or still move.

Oh I know. I'd also love to see dino activity change according to time of day. Not full on Megalosaurus style, the sleep deprivation sucks, but more like Troodons: make day predators less active during the night, night active less active during day. And have flyers come down and roost/sleep on the ground. Or you know what would be cool? Tapejara landing sideways on a redwood tree to rest. Have pack animals actually form packs, have solitary animals avoid each other. And for all the world's sake, have certain animals aggro other things than just players and their dinos! I'm looking at you, Therizino. Oooh, and make Titanonurma spawn from anthills? And ignore you during the night because ants are mostly not night active.

Ok... so I have a few ideas! But first and foremost, holy hell this is a long thread. I am afraid I won't be reading all those pages so if I repeat some stuff others have already said, well... oh well, haha. 

Direwolf: I love what's been going on with the direwolf (and thank god for the texture change on its nose. That was driving me crazy.), but what if it warned you about especially high level dinos or dangerous dinos ahead of you? For example, your wolves will start whimpering if a rex, giga, spino, therizino, etc is close by, or if the animal is close to the max level on the server (i.e., when max level is 150, wolves start whining if the animal is lv 120+).  Also, lone wolves not part of a pack - I think it would be cool if, similar to a lone hyaenodon, lone wolves ran away instead of fought back. 

Sarcosuchus: Deathroll! Can you imagine how cool it'd be to grab something and then press a button and your sarco starts deathrolling with whatever it has grabbed? Don't ask me how the physics of your character not getting crushed and/or thrown off would work, but I think that'd be cool! (And hey, you just flat out disappear when the deodic starts rolling, so...). Or maybe upon pressing deathroll, you're thrown off and your sarco deathrolls? And you can't mount it again until it's done. (Or we can just stick with the disappearing trick like with the doedic xD)

Cnidaria: No more total stun pls. This is stupid if you ask me. Yeah, I understand - electricity! I imagine it's not fun! But instead of having us just have to sit there and watch a level 5 jellyfish slowly kill a high level spino or something, how about it be a debuff? The entire time the animal is getting zapped, its move speed is crippled. That way it can still defend itself, just not very quickly. (Attacks take longer to get off also).

Pachycephalosaurus: I love the pachy. I love its mechanic... only issue is, you can't really use it. Without some extreme care, even a moderate to high level pachy will likely get destroyed by anything you try to knock out with it, and they basically end up getting tamed for kibble farming and/or looks. They... also look REALLY small for something that's able to be ridden (same with terror birds but we'll get there in a minute). Perhaps keep the pachy as a neutral dino, but buff its stats so it's more viable for its utility. 

Compy: "Swarm" attack. In a group of three or more, compies latch onto their prey and shred them that way. They are able to be fought off, but take less damage while latched on (for example, imagine if one of those compies is on your back; flailing your pike around in front of you probably shouldn't hit that compy, but since it's a game, we'll say it just does reduced damage, for any of them that are on you currently). That way, compies have some utility because... while they're small and that's really useful for some areas, they're just... kinda useless, lol. I can't really do anything with mine because I'm pretty sure it's just going to die even in a large group.

Oviraptor: When on wander, the oviraptor will scan the area for eggs as well as provide his buff. If he detects an egg nearby, he will steal it, regardless of whether it was wild or tamed animal that dropped the egg. For example, you have an oviraptor running around your fenced in base, and there you go, he's collecting eggs for you! Of course, one would have to watch him to make sure he isn't getting encumbered (or perhaps he stops collecting eggs before he gets encumbered?). Or... maybe the oviraptor has a mode separate from wandering called Egg Gathering. When attacked in this mode, the oviraptor will flee (similar to babies when a fight occurs nearby) and gathers eggs as described before. Or if the oviraptor doesn't flee, maybe it gives a cry that invites other tames of yours to attack the animal attacking it (this makes the oviraptor tell your nearby tames "Attack my target!" and that's how they start fighting that particular animal). Idk, the fine details of this would need to be fleshed out, but the idea is: Oviraptor somehow collects eggs while wandering freely. In the event he grabs a wild animal's egg, he needs to be able to do something about it so he isn't guaranteed to die if he snatches up that bronto's egg that wandered a little close to your little islet one day, whether it be call nearby tames to his aid or simply flee from the angry animal.

Megatherium: When buffed with Bug Killer, have a passive ability that does not damage the animal in question... more specifically, pulmonoscorpius. Give the megatherium the ability to remove the scorpion's stinger (which just prevents the scorpion from being able to poison you for a set period of time). This gives the megatherium a way to help you not only kill bugs, but tame bugs! (I would suggest a meerkat-like animal, as meerkats irl have a certain level of immunity to certain scorpions and can remove their stingers, but considering how big scorpions are in Ark I'd be terrified of a giant meerkat...) 

Alphas: At least for singleplayer, perhaps as part of the singleplayer settings, can you scale the level of these things? Rather annoying for a lv. 20 player with 5 dilos to be spawned in and then get ravaged repeatedly by a lv. 68 alpha raptor. Or better yet, a lv. 47 alpha carno... Maybe if you're level 20, the highest level the alphas can be in the world at that time are level 30, so on or so forth... or maybe it scales with your highest level dinosaur. You have a lv. 120 dino, even if it's a dodo bird, the highest level alpha can be lv 130 (maxing out at the max level, whatever the server's is set on, of course). And maybe not for the alphas specifically,  but what if most dinosaurs/animals made some sort of noise to signal a nearby alpha? I.e., the iguanodon gives a growl if there's an alpha nearby, the pteranodon chatters if there's an alpha nearby, the diplo gives a warning sound similar to the sound it makes when headbutting, etc etc... To potentially help players AVOID these things even if you don't want to scale their leveling. When the landscape is covered in fauna and rocks, the glowing red mist doesn't really help. And this would make sense, too. If I was a wild dino, and knew what alphas could do, why WOULDN'T I be nervous about coming face to face with one?

Unrelated as this is an item/recipe instead of something for a specific dino... Could we get something like Mindwipe Tonic but for pets? (From what I know there isn't anything like this yet but if there is and I'm just being dumb, let me know, lol.) Also, I'm just going to iterate: I play singleplayer and on private servers with close friends. I don't play a lot of public servers, well... at all. So my suggestions are likely to be biased due to that.

Another just overall dino thing.... would it be possible to make predatory animals only hunt when they are hungry? I.e., they actually have an inventory and harvest meat from the animals they kill, and will only kill again if they are hungry and out of meat, they themselves are attacked, or the animal in question wanders too close (like, direbear-aggroing-type close). Perhaps if you wanted to keep the danger levels up, you could make it so wild dinos harvest very low amounts of food from the animals they kill, and don't harvest things they can't eat (i.e., wild rex won't harvest hide from that stego he just killed) so they don't get encumbered by it (or you can just make it so that the wild dinos have stupidly high weight, which changes when they are knocked out/tameable to what the true value is). I just think this would make the game more realistic and less.... comical, in a way. I watched a group of carnos go on a rampage on the river nearby my little camp in the southern islets and ended up just laughing so hard at these carnos that just absolutely ravaged everything for no reason. I understand how that is part of the difficulty and ensures the animals will attack the player regardless, but this can be implemented while still keeping it difficult for the player. Perhaps certain animals are aggressive toward the player regardless of hunger, or aggro if you just get too close even when they're full, etc etc... 

Similar to the Skittish setting, how about one called Fight and Flight? Well, regardless of name, it does this: your dinosaur will do the same as it does on Attack Your Target, except once it reaches 10% of its max health, it flees (if not set on any sort of follow, otherwise it follows whatever it's following and ceases attacking). This would be really useful for singleplayer (and again, would make sense, because while I am flattered by the loyalty my animals have to fight to their death, in reality I doubt any animal would faithfully continue to fight until it died... most would run once they realized they weren't going to win). Sic your animals on that therizino by accident? No problem, they'll bolt, though obviously there's no guarantee they'll survive. The animal they're attacking may be faster than them or there might be other hazards they have to worry about. 

5 hours ago, Milsurp said:

And you're confusing innate abilities like the ability to climb a tree with the magic buffage stuffage. Like, everything you've mentioned would actually stay if you removed the inappropriate stuff we're on about. Why would a thylaco not climb a tree to ambush prey? Why would Daeodons be bad without magic healing? (They're damn OP as it is, frankly. Pigs are known omnivores and have a fast trot that uses little stamina - they're kind of like a low-end bear tame imo. How is that bad without magic healing?) Squids DO pin their prey with tentacles, why would that change? 

I think you're overthinking things yourself. If every dino had abilities like they did in real life, their innate differences would give us plenty of variety. For example, you can't catch a quick animal with a Rex if that animal has the appropriate flee mechanic, and that mechanic is in game - just look at the tapajara. Any big water dino should be immune to small animal stuns / dismounts, but they're very different creatures and should be different in purpose (they are somewhat because of platform saddles, but not a lot, and they should actually be.) So if the game did give us realistic dino behaviors, you would always need the appropriate dino for the job or to add your skill to make up the difference. 

And regarding camp sizes, please look up survivorship bias and the stats on how many people bought this game and no longer play it. Judging by that, those who think the game's approach is fine are a tiny minority of the playerbase. So at this point, it's the ones that are disagreeing with the current approach that have the best chance of representing the majority, not the ones agreeing with it. 

You get it, innate abilities that make sense for the animal should remain. Anything magical just ruins the immersion for me like I'm sure it does for many others. Innate abilities that would make sense including raptors having some kind of flanking ability, triceratops having a proper gore attack (also irritates me how weak the trike is when this creature was monstrous in real life.) Diplodocus having a tail whip etc..

Woolly Rhino : give it another kind of charge attack , instead of holding shift and running around trying to fill the charge meter , you can stand still to charge and then let go to do the charge attack that have higher damage than normal charge ( kinda like how tek Gauntlet work ) . Also may be a new kind of saddle that let player spawn ( act like a mobile sleep bag ) , do not work during boss fight .

Make Pegotamax not attack large creatures....

Rework Sabertooth , current model looks like a panther , give it shorter tail and a bulky body .

8 hours ago, Milsurp said:

Ok to all the blokes that think super-chickens pecking each other is how dino combat should be. Don't you realize how boring that is, and how these magical powers are put in to offset that boredom to some degree? Now if dino combat is NOT boring, if you can pick a dino up with your Rex and fling it, if you can target a critical area like the neck or leg for a bite-and-pin move, AND IF THE OTHER DINO CAN DO THAT TO YOU TOO - do you see how amazing dino combat COULD be?

And how unnecessary those immersion-breaking magic powers (borrowed from completely different game genres I might add) really are? 

And re dino types, you realize they're substantially different in physical abilities and behaviors, or at least they should and CAN be if developed. That's the unexplored potential of the game, and I think it's a waste not to go there and see how cool things can be. 

How in high hell are they immersion breaking? immersion doen't break in any magic centered game. Imersion doesn't break in a game like TF2 or Overwatch when a medic or mercy heals you with a beam of something, so why should immersion break if a pig can heal allies? as i said, there's a thing called "suspension of disbelief" and the only thing breaking it here is you.

And while i agree that dino combat could be better, that doesn't help with the situation.

7 hours ago, Milsurp said:

while i do admit i failed to make that distinction. i can't see you being right about "innate differences" What advantage would riding a Raptor give me over a Baryonyx? Baryonyx can swim over large bodies of water. Why would i use a Baryonyx over a spino if the bary didn't have the tail spin? .the Spino is much stronger in every way. Why would i use a Basilosaurus over a mosasaur if it didn't have it's CC immunity, insulation buff, and depth mechanics? why would i use a Pachyrhino over a trike if it didn't have it's Pheramones? may not be the most useful dino, but it can still find it's use with them.

And regarding survivorship bias, has it occurred to you that ARK has tons of issues that may have chased people away instead of "magical powers"? Terrible optimization, Bad PvP systems, poor stability, Terrible player behavior on official servers, Incredibly grindy official servers, the list goes on. but the point is claiming that most of the people who left because of dino abilities is just plain ignorant.

• Jatheish locked and unlocked this topic
  • Jatheish unpinned and unfeatured this topic

Archived