Dino TLC: Feedback! Suggestions?

Jatheish

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi wildcard,

I would like to suggest a couple of changes. You have done a great job withthe new models. I think the argentavis looks a bit too much like a hawk or an eagle, vultures are bald because of how they eat, if you could incorporate more vulture like features into the argentavis that would look amazing. A couple spino improvements could be taking away unnessesary spikes and fins. The head shape and the jaws need to be changed as well. Thanks for reading if u do.

I know you guys are already working on the Argentavis and Spino and they look amazing. But the Argentavis looks too much like an Eagle or a hawk. Argentavis were a type of vulture, so the head feathers should not exist and the body needs to be a bit more upright. Try looking at an african vulture and maybe use the talons of a harpy eagle and the argentavis would look much better. Also another feature I would like to suggest would be giving the Argentavis a glide mechanic and if you ask me all of the flyers need a dive like the griffin, not quite as fast though. Now the Spino looks great, the texture of it looks very good, but you are incorperating the old model into the new model too much. The Spinosaurus is similar to the baryonyx. Try making the jaws slimmer, and get rid of the unnessesary fins and spikes.

Remove dinos super-powers, it's just disgusting for new players, only useful for alpha tribes that have ruin this game. 
Sometime I test this game, as a new player, last time I was taken by surprise by a furious creature which has some attract field power so we can't move away... like a tiger with jedi dark force power... what... the... f....
Should be a lot better with really true dino behaviors, like in Jurassic Park, not sort of science fiction genetics modified ones... except maybe in Aberration dlc. 
And rework the Therizino from scratch (3D model, behavior, power, aggressiveness). 
Anyway, just my two cents. 

1 hour ago, LinuxGyver said:

Remove dinos super-powers, it's just disgusting for new players, only useful for alpha tribes that have ruin this game. 
Sometime I test this game, as a new player, last time I was taken by surprise by a furious creature which has some attract field power so we can't move away... like a tiger with jedi dark force power... what... the... f....
Should be a lot better with really true dino behaviors, like in Jurassic Park, not sort of science fiction genetics modified ones... except maybe in Aberration dlc. 
And rework the Therizino from scratch (3D model, behavior, power, aggressiveness). 
Anyway, just my two cents. 

ok, that first point is incredibly dumb. How are things like Oviraptor egg boost, Lystro exp boost, Thyla climb, Yuty roars, Bary stun, are ONLY useful for Alpha tribes? any player can tame any of these, dinos, therefore can make use of them. Also, balancing purely by stats is a terrible idea for a game that has this many creatures. What reason would i have to use my Baryonyx over a Spino without it's stun? What reason would i have to use a Basilosaurus over a Mosa without it's CC immunity? What reason would i have to use a thyla over a carno without it's Climbing ability? what reason would i have to use a Karkinos over a megalasaurus without it's grabing and jumping abilities? what reason would i have to use literally any creature over a creature with better stats? but because dinos have these "superpowers" i have a reason to use statistically weaker dinos over stronger ones. Bary's stun gives me a hard counter over smaller ocean dinos like Megaladons and mantas. i have a reason to use a basilo over the Mosa due to it's immunity to CC from tusos, eels, and Cnidrians. i have a reason to use the thyla over the carno due to it's ability to climb away from danger. Also, as someone with 1.2k hours in ARK, i can tell you with full confidence there are no dinos that can do that. there are dinos that can slow you, but there are no dinos that pull you in like a black hole. you where probably just rubber banding.

also, you are aware of ARK's lore, right? We are literally on an artificial biome with half a globes worth of biome variety within a few square kilometers of one another full of creatures from hundreds of different points in time that are genetically modified to be domesticated by knocking it out and feeding it. of course they're going to behave like "science ficton genetics modified ones..."

and theriz are fine IMO, maybe a bit of polishing on the model, but fine overall

Make all flyers and dinos smaller than your mount flee when you get close (adds interest to taming, can't just walk up on pteras etc., you have to STALK your prey muahaha)

Make wild special abilities only available when tamed! Baryonyx stun/dismount, microraptor stun/dismount, ichthyornis steal, pegomastax steal, etc. Check your playerbase approval rating on those, nobody likes the wilds having those abilities, they're just an immense PITA with no positive gameplay value.

Change the flyer pickup ability! It's the reason flyers are OP in game. Here's my thoughts:

1. Reduce the flyer pickup size by 1 across the board (except griffins). You'll need an argie to pick someone up, and you can't pick up large tames anymore with a flyer. (read on before freaking pls lol)

2. For wild pickups, have them able to struggle and free themselves with a good hit on your flyer! This again counters the easy-mode pickup for taming that pretty much makes the game quickly boring.

3. Allow the picking up of *unconscious* creatures, including wilds, players and mounts!

These changes mean you will be field-tranqing wilds with all of the risk that entails, then picking up for transport to a safe area for taming. *Which is exactly how it's done in real life.* I think this will be a lot more interesting. It will also drive cooperation and tribal association as people will be helping each other to do the field tames. That's excellent for a multiplayer game. 

It also makes PvP less easy-mode as it takes a larger flyer to pick up an enemy player. **To avoid nerfing the Ptera, allow the ptera's special attack to hit players directly and dismount enemy players off of flying mounts.  Pteras are squishy and have stamina limitations on the special attack so there's reasonable counters to this power already.

Edit: also, all oil that comes from creatures should be the natural oil that degrades. Right now there's no need to harvest oil nodes as you can score plenty of non-degrading oil from creatures. All of that should be degradeable oil so there is reason to have oil pumps and harvest nodes. 

Not sure if anyone asked this question but is this huge dino change going to take into account people have mutates? some of my dinos (particularly my aqua ones) are my favorites, will that be taken into account with the new models and texturing? will my Argentavis be aqua like it is now? or my rex or dire bears? also of note don't overly care the argent has a "vulture" look, its supposed to be a bird of prey, like a hawk or eagle, not a scavenger like vulture, please rework this one to be more hawk like, thank you

20 hours ago, Mendoza said:

Can the turtles have a 1x1 platform saddle...

3 hours ago, Milsurp said:

Only allow PvP-style abilities for shoulder mounts when tamed. 

Make all flyers and dinos smaller than your mount flee when you get close (adds interest to taming, can't just walk up on pteras etc., you have to STALK your prey muahaha)

Make wild special abilities only available when tamed! Baryonyx stun/dismount, microraptor stun/dismount, ichthyornis steal, pegomastax steal, etc. Check your playerbase approval rating on those, nobody likes the wilds having those abilities, they're just an immense PITA with no positive gameplay value.

Change the flyer pickup ability! It's the reason flyers are OP in game. Here's my thoughts:

1. Reduce the flyer pickup size by 1 across the board (except griffins). You'll need an argie to pick someone up, and you can't pick up large tames anymore with a flyer. (read on before freaking pls lol)

2. For wild pickups, have them able to struggle and free themselves with a good hit on your flyer! This again counters the easy-mode pickup for taming that pretty much makes the game quickly boring.

3. Allow the picking up of *unconscious* creatures, including wilds, players and mounts!

These changes mean you will be field-tranqing wilds with all of the risk that entails, then picking up for transport to a safe area for taming. *Which is exactly how it's done in real life.* I think this will be a lot more interesting. It will also drive cooperation and tribal association as people will be helping each other to do the field tames. That's excellent for a multiplayer game. 

It also makes PvP less easy-mode as it takes a larger flyer to pick up an enemy player. **To avoid nerfing the Ptera, allow the ptera's special attack to hit players directly and dismount enemy players off of flying mounts.  Pteras are squishy and have stamina limitations on the special attack so there's reasonable counters to this power already.

Love these ideas, being able to pick almost anything up and walk up to almost any creature without them running (even while riding trex)  makes this game easy mode - which it already is given the dino ai being easily manipulated into pens/rocks/corners etc.

and you're right, micro raptor stun, pegomastax stealing from dinos as big as trex and "magical wild dinos" roaring to tame carnos over to their side is ... well silly.

in my mind, i dont want to see things glowing all over the map because of "pack status, or alpha status, or "it's healing" or "it's roaring" - keep some mystery and if you want to show alpha status to warn players of danger - have them look fierce - maybe increase the model size by 10%-20% and add a blood overlay to it's mouth area and scars on it's body to show that it's big and bad ass and has experience- but don't have it glow with magical red fire - it's ugly and unrealistic.

24 minutes ago, pixelrobot said:

Love these ideas, being able to pick almost anything up and walk up to almost any creature without them running (even while riding trex)  makes this game easy mode - which it already is given the dino ai being easily manipulated into pens/rocks/corners etc.

and you're right, micro raptor stun, pegomastax stealing from dinos as big as trex and "magical wild dinos" roaring to tame carnos over to their side is ... well silly.

in my mind, i dont want to see things glowing all over the map because of "pack status, or alpha status, or "it's healing" or "it's roaring" - keep some mystery and if you want to show alpha status to warn players of danger - have them look fierce - maybe increase the model size by 10%-20% and add a blood overlay to it's mouth area and scars on it's body to show that it's big and bad ass and has experience- but don't have it glow with magical red fire - it's ugly and unrealistic.

This is OT for this thread, but I hate the MOBA-style abilities myself. I want Dinosaur Island Survival - The Game, so all of the work that goes into those things is not just wasted, it's counterproductive to immersion for me. I'd rather that work was spent on taking the physical abilities that have been developed for new dinos and giving them to every dino so dino combat is terrifying and amazing, instead of super-chickens pecking each other until one wins :(

But! There are people who like that, and in a big way, those are cool for a PvP experience. In PvP your priority is to fight other people in the most fun and interesting way possible. I would suggest that those abilities be configurable in the server INI, so that everyone can have what they want. (And if only I could get rid of the obelisks. IF ONLY. I've already disabled the supply drops so caves / bosses have the only remaining loot drops . Man is Ragnarok beautiful and immersive without them. SO nice.)

Ok, to all the blokes that want dino abilitys removed. Can't you imagine how boring that would be? all that would be worth using are Rexes, gigas, and something to harvest berries. there would be no reason to tame the Statistically weaker dinos that currently ave something special to them. No reason to tame Basilos, Thylas, Yutys, Kentros, Arthros, Gigantopithicus, Daeodons, Mantis, Lystros, Pachyrhinos, Iguanadons, Equus, Basically everything that trades stats for a special ability would become useless

34 minutes ago, Umber0010 said:

Ok, to all the blokes that want dino abilitys removed. Can't you imagine how boring that would be? all that would be worth using are Rexes, gigas, and something to harvest berries. there would be no reason to tame the Statistically weaker dinos that currently ave something special to them. No reason to tame Basilos, Thylas, Yutys, Kentros, Arthros, Gigantopithicus, Daeodons, Mantis, Lystros, Pachyrhinos, Iguanadons, Equus, Basically everything that trades stats for a special ability would become useless

From what i've seen during my time on official pvp people are using a limited amount of dinos anyway - mostly flyers/ankylos/theriz/rexes (even after the nerf that was supposed to make land travel more viable).

I've watched this game over it's development cycle and I assumed with each creature they were testing a feature that would be implemented across the board. Things like multi seated saddles, pack bonuses, the hyenadons ability to pick it's battles and flee, the megalo sleeping during the day - all things i assumed would be given to every creature where it fit to bring about a more immersive experience.

As it stands now - it seems gimmicky. Take the megalo for example, it sleeps... who cares. Now imagine if they took that feature and made it so all dinos slept at night except for the nocturnal hunters - much cooler, much more realistic and it takes the megalos ability from something nobody ares about to something that is world changing.

Combine this with wild dino hunger (it's been done, successfully through mods several times, see sponsored mod zoology) and you have much more immersive realistic experience.

I dont see why they don't do it, the sleeping animations are there - the code has been done for the megalo and it would probably improve server performance if things werent constantly moving/killing all the time. /end rant

22 minutes ago, pixelrobot said:

From what i've seen during my time on official pvp people are using a limited amount of dinos anyway - mostly flyers/ankylos/theriz/rexes (even after the nerf that was supposed to make land travel more viable).

I've watched this game over it's development cycle and I assumed with each creature they were testing a feature that would be implemented across the board. Things like multi seated saddles, pack bonuses, the hyenadons ability to pick it's battles and flee, the megalo sleeping during the day - all things i assumed would be given to every creature where it fit to bring about a more immersive experience.

As it stands now - it seems gimmicky. Take the megalo for example, it sleeps... who cares. Now imagine if they took that feature and made it so all dinos slept at night except for the nocturnal hunters - much cooler, much more realistic and it takes the megalos ability from something nobody ares about to something that is world changing.

Combine this with wild dino hunger (it's been done, successfully through mods several times, see sponsored mod zoology) and you have much more immersive realistic experience.

I dont see why they don't do it, the sleeping animations are there - the code has been done for the megalo and it would probably improve server performance if things werent constantly moving/killing all the time. /end rant

that... has nothing to do with what i just said

37 minutes ago, Umber0010 said:

that... has nothing to do with what i just said

you said if you take away a dinos abilities they wont be used - i said they aren't used anyway - for the most part - and that i don't want to take them away - i want them to be implemented across more dinos instead of gimmicks for individual dinos.

As for the creatures above  - ill give you my thoughts - not that you want them, since clearly you're stuck in your opinion.

Basilos,- i take it you're talking about the blood in the water glow? why isn't blood in the water in general a thing? how does the Basilio making things bleed differ from other dinos making things bleed?

Thylas - why can't other creatures pounce and pin? or ambush for that matter?

Yutys - the ally roar is ridiculous and makes zero sense - does it have mind control? as for it's fear roar - implement it across more larger carnivores. (which i guess they are doing with the rex)

Kentros - why don't other horned creatures impale? or cause bleed? trike? stego? or take defensive damage for that matter?

Arthros - people don't use this dino - and it's turret mode is a joke.

Gigantopithicus - same applies for this one - which is about to change thankfully - i can grant this creature some "fantasy" since it is humanoid and could theoretically learn things like gathering fiber, climbing onto ziplines.

Daeodons - how does it heal other creatures? did it study medicine? ridiculous ability - just have it be a swift tanky mount - it's cool enough without the fluff.

Mantis - a mantis holding swords... when it already has sharp arms... redundant and it looks stupid as hell. But it's scorched earth, and well, if you like that stuff you're in a separate camp to me.

Lystros - medium carnivores need to eat - why can't it just be scenery? or a companion with no magical benefits? not everything has to have a gimmick.

Pachyrhinos - same applies for this one really - why can't it just be a hefty mount like the trike - but less deadly? have it easier to tame - bingo - it's got it's place in the game - biodiversity and an easier to tame mount for starter tribes.

Iguanadons - can switch from bipedal to quad? spino is getting that now too - devs are fixing things.

Equus - why can't other creatures KO easily - pachy, im looking at you.

If you don't agree dude that's fine - i get the feeling ark fans fall into two camps - those that were lured in by the dinosaurs and obsure species and those that were lured in by the pvp and power fantasy.

Some of us want a semi-realistic dinosaur world to live in, others want to ride wyverns and defeat create tek gear.

Wyverns, with basilisk's being able to aim their spit attack properly, will we see this same mechanic being carried over to wyverns? Another thing, fire wyvern's hitbox should be bigger, breathing fire directly onto something then not having it catch fire is very unsatisfying  (make the actual aoe bigger). Additionally, it would be handy to have a key which when pressed, will only move the wyvern's head (so that you can aim elemental breath attacks).

Lymantria's could also use a buff, maybe buff their poison ability by making it work like a narco-grenade (in addition to draining stamina), while also slightly increasing their movespeed and health, as well as their range so that they could be used at "bombers" in pvp.

Kaprosuchus could also have their grab/leap attack changed to work like the karkinos jump, so that it will hit easier. perhaps it would be good to also increase its carry weight (to hold people in its jaws), stam drain ability and the speed of the leap, while increasing the stamina cost to make it a more viable option in pvp, and also could you please make kapro's swim speed scale with movement speed.

Raptors should have a pack bonus like dire wolves, while also having the ability to leap and hook onto larger prey. Raptor's should also be able to jump higher to give them more use as a transport mount, as they are currently outclassed by many other creatures.

Pachys should be alot larger, and should deal more topor, while also having most of their stats increased. They should be able to knock out players with flak armor in a couple of hits if they have super high (500% plus) melee, so that they could be used in PVP wars as a means to collect prisoners, an alternative to therizinos, which compensates for lower health and alot lower damage with their knockout ability. maybe also make the chage start slow and increase in speed and damage/topor over the charge duration.

Araneos could have the ability to hibernate inside a cocoon, which they can come out of when broken (so that the ycan be used as internal base defence without being insta-killed by c4, as well as storing compactly so that you dont get stuck on their feet all the time), also buff their web projectile's speed and give them the ability to crawl like a megalania (which has been suggested by many other people).

Dilos are ok as they are i guess, but perhaps they could have an amor option (similar to hyaenadons) to allow them to survive better, but this armor would make it take alot less damage from larger dinos (anything the size of a rex/yuty/spino or bigger) to prevent it being one-hit and making them viable in wars without making them op, and also make their spit attack launch in a cone with greater speed, because any player which is just walking can outrun it as it stands currently.

Parasaur give it a player detection ability, similar to the lightpets on abberation, except with a larger and configurable range, and the option to have it display an on-screen message (similar to tripwire alarm traps).

Sabertooth's could have the ability to pin down anything the size of a player (or smaller) with its large teeth (like a weakened version of the thylacoleo pounce, but with the advatage of being able to be used easier)

Dimetrodons could have the ability (can be toggled off) to prevent eggs from hatching, instead leaving them at 10 seconds or so.

Terror birds should be easier to tame, while also giving their sharp beaks the ability to piece through armor, and slightly increasing their damage.

Lystros should have increased range and xp provided when petting them depending on their level, or perhaps it could work like a pack boost, with the xp range and duration being increased depending on how many lystros you have.

Compys should move faster, and have the ability to have a whole pack latch onto players/dinos like leeches, quickly dispatching isolated players/dinos. they should also have their base damaged increased by alot (a dodo has higher base damage than a compy), while also reducing their breeding times by alot (similar to dimorphodons, probably even lower). if a certain number of  compys latch onto a player, they should recieve the "broken bones" status effect.

i also think that a "Survivors only" option should be added to dinos, so that one wild raptor won't re-arrange the perfectly placed dinos in your base.

It is worth noting that all these suggestions are made from the perspective of a PVP player, what do you guys think?

Cnidrians and Electrophorus should nolonger do a total stun. instead, i suggest that the "electrocuted" debuff (as i belive it's called) should reduce Movespeed, attack speed, and attack damage for 10 seconds base. being shocked by more than one would probably increase the timer, but not by 10 seconds each, probably 2.5 for each jelly/eel after the first. This way more seamounts then the basilo are viable because things like a level 275 mosa can't be killed by a level 5 jelly

Flying carriers should have the option to carry dinos when nobody is ridding and you should be able to order them to pick dinos up by putting them on passive and ordering them to "attack my target"

and also dino paths should be made somehow so that you can make them wonder on a path or have a restricted range from their original location so they don't run away.

I know these are more gameplay then visual changes but I still think they should be added.

2 hours ago, Rockthebeast said:

I know these are more gameplay then visual changes but I still think they should be added.

I think that requirement of the thread went out the window along time ago. Not convinced anyone read that part of the original post lol

Ppstin here for completion lol. Loving the look of the argy model and tlc plan but dissapointed by the lack of a mention of a change to flyers mechanics. Hoping most if not all flyers get a change in mechanics to mirror the flight mechanics of the griffin. The current mechanics are just so out of date and obsolete now compared to the griffin and to a point also the rock drake and glide suit. Flyers need some love.

On 1/27/2018 at 5:48 PM, AmandaSarlo said:

I like a lot of what is already being changed, but I have always considered the Argentavis to be more of a majestic Eagle or hawk looking dino, to give it a more vulture like head is just outright horrible, if you want vulture just go to SE and get a vulture! please redo the Argentavis look, to actually LOOK like an eagle, maybe use an bald eagle or Sparrowhawk look would be much better in my opinion.

The argentavis has always been and was a vulture.

4 hours ago, Umber0010 said:

Cnidrians and Electrophorus should nolonger do a total stun. instead, i suggest that the "electrocuted" debuff (as i belive it's called) should reduce Movespeed, attack speed, and attack damage for 10 seconds base. being shocked by more than one would probably increase the timer, but not by 10 seconds each, probably 2.5 for each jelly/eel after the first. This way more seamounts then the basilo are viable because things like a level 275 mosa can't be killed by a level 5 jelly

This IMO is the biggest thing I hope they take away from this thread.   So many awesome water mounts are not used on the Island and Ragnarok because a low level Jellyfish at the wrong time can completely destroy a several hours tame or several days bred Mosa/Shark/etc.     Right now it's basically basil or nothing :/

• Jatheish locked and unlocked this topic
  • Jatheish unpinned and unfeatured this topic

Archived