Dino TLC: Feedback! Suggestions?

Jatheish

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For my 2 cents, please remove the "Wander" requirement from Dung Beetles for making fert/oil, it causes so many issues with falling through floors and similar structures.   You can build a cage but they're unwieldly (can be hard to click through) and it just seems like a bother for what's otherwise an awesome creature.

Have the team looked twards underwater creatures at all? A leopluradon rework? They look really cool almost like a allosurus version of the ocean, megladons being like carnos and mosasaurus acting like a rex. It would be cool if we were able to tame leoplurodons like a normal creature and have the special "lucky oil" ones be like alphas, the alpha spawns can be rare like they are, and the non alpha ones could be more common, and wont give the "lucky oil" bonus when tamed. Also I want a type of megaladon rework, not nessasarily a visual overhaul, but a buff to make them more meta underwater. Lastly possible dunkeylusuchus buff or something allowing them to gather underwater metal nodes. My tribe ruled the oceans for about three months on an official server and pretty much the only meta we had was eels and our squid, as sharks were slow and did low damage, mosas got killed by jellyfish overnight, plesiosaurs were fast but did little damage, basilos were useless in our cave, and dunkeys were used for oil and stone only. Getting metal underwater was insanely difficult as we were purely an ocean tribe. I love the ocean but the amount of work needed to have fun is crazy.

On 1/15/2018 at 8:47 PM, pixelrobot said:

Yeah I prefer the crocodilian look too, but the game isnt going for realism - so perhaps an option to switch between the two modes would be the best option

There's actually a workshop mod for this. I like that being an option and wouldnt mind that being put into the game at all

16 hours ago, MrDestiny17 said:

Have the team looked twards underwater creatures at all? A leopluradon rework? They look really cool almost like a allosurus version of the ocean, megladons being like carnos and mosasaurus acting like a rex. It would be cool if we were able to tame leoplurodons like a normal creature and have the special "lucky oil" ones be like alphas, the alpha spawns can be rare like they are, and the non alpha ones could be more common, and wont give the "lucky oil" bonus when tamed. Also I want a type of megaladon rework, not nessasarily a visual overhaul, but a buff to make them more meta underwater. Lastly possible dunkeylusuchus buff or something allowing them to gather underwater metal nodes. My tribe ruled the oceans for about three months on an official server and pretty much the only meta we had was eels and our squid, as sharks were slow and did low damage, mosas got killed by jellyfish overnight, plesiosaurs were fast but did little damage, basilos were useless in our cave, and dunkeys were used for oil and stone only. Getting metal underwater was insanely difficult as we were purely an ocean tribe. I love the ocean but the amount of work needed to have fun is crazy.

Actually one thing I and many others would like to see is a nerf to Jellyfish; right now there's a lot of really cool sea mounts that aren't used at all because Jellyfish coming out of walls or in unexpected places can be instant death.   

2 hours ago, Migol said:

Actually one thing I and many others would like to see is a nerf to Jellyfish; right now there's a lot of really cool sea mounts that aren't used at all because Jellyfish coming out of walls or in unexpected places can be instant death.   

Underwater has a huge potential, I would definitely nerf jellyfish and eels though, making the shock not paralyze tames but maybe slow them down or deplete stamina quickly, its kinda upsetting having a 150 mosa get killed by a lvl 15 jellyfish overnight. Another solution could be wild basilo or other predators that fight jellyfish, or an active ecosystem underwater, as there is not one ocean tame that i know of that will fight each other. Lastly, MAKE GOGGLES SEE CLEARLY!

To be honest, I think everything added should get a TLC eventually. Abilities...not really necessary. Aside from an attack for the ones that have no attack.

The Sarco, specifically, needs to have a swimming fix. No more green torpedo. Fast, sure. But no ridiculously fast that you can't fight anything when swimming because you zoom right past it.

Can we give the Allos all a gnash attack, even without the Alpha? Maybe reduce or remove the slow affect, but keep the bleed.

Beezlebufo needs a Torpor defense when bitten or punched, since the skin is toxic. The ability to attack underwater too.

Make the Titanoboa's temperament Territorial, not Aggressive since they ONLY EAT FREAKING EGGS! Again, why is it an aggressive, venomous snake that kills everything it see, but only tames and eats EGGS?

Make the Raptor look like the one in the cover art that was used before Aberration came out.

For the tamed bee hive, there should be Drones that fly around outside the hive. When a wild creature comes too close, the swarm attacks it. WITHOUT aggroing the other tames.

Achatina needs to eat something other than just freaking cake.

Carno: remodel with longer legs, Speed increase to make it onpar with gallimimus but have slow acceleration and turning when sprinting, ramming ability a dedicated button to lower its horns and inflict damage when sprinting damage scales with speed, damages structures and dinos, buff to gates and doors

Raptor: Pounce/latch ability, remodel, buff

Plesiosaur: small turn radius, only underwater mount that can turn on the spot (and do underwater donuts yay)

All Flyers: all have some sort of swoop ability, gives less of a speed buff than that of griffin, not as fast as griffins swoop, no damage scaling when swooping

Triceratops: Block ability to make it comparable to using a sword and Shield, size and stat buff, remodel

Doedicurus: can hit obsidian nodes, speed increase when rolling

Megalodon: Less spawns, Size buff 10-30%, ability to leap out of the water with players/tames releasing them in water again dealing damage and bleed

Brontosaurus: Speed increase, new anims, remodel to make it look like an actual brontosaurus and not like plastic

Quetzalcoatlus: Speed increase to make farming a bit faster, maybe also make it walk more upright(like in the dossier) and eat food items on the ground being able to grab and swallow small dinos like compy and maybe dilos

Pteranodon: Remodel with fixed wings, maybe make crest look like a crest instead of a weird growth, carry things in mouth instead of with baby legs

Sarcosuchus: Deathroll like that of modern day crocodiles, Remodel, hp and damage buff

Argent: Remodel

Mosasaurus: Mosasaurus and other large animals shouldn't be stunned by jellyfish, sorta like how a snake bite does less damage depending on size

Titanoboa: Remove the frills, ability to almost be set up like a stun trap that wraps around players dinos keeping them in place

Manta: Not being able to beach themselves or dieing instantly on land

Spider: Or whatever weird name it has, I think it should be able to shoot a line of web that acts as a zip line, this would be temporary(like maybe 5mins) but this would make it useful for exploration, also being able to climb on these webs or ziplines in general would be neat.

Gallimimus: I know it's impossible to remodel everything but it would be nice to get a new look on this things, personally I think it looks dated, also a reduced fall damage would be handy as these things get hurt from every single bump.

Pelagornis: Dive underwater

Oviraptor: Pasively collect eggs, remodel if possible

Giganotosaurus: Size decrease to make more manageable in bases, health that levels normally for once make them a faster rex with more health less damage but good for bleed

Parasaurolophus: Remodel, size increase, stat buff, make Ai fight back, make them spawn in herds if you actually have learnt how to do Ai yet, make them function like a war horn or listen to somebody else's suggestion

More useless creatures that I could come up with ideas for

Arthropleura

Dimetrodon

Diplocaulus

Dunkleosteus

Mammoth 

Pachy 

Terror bird 

My opinion on some of ARKS creatures in need of love, hope it helps:
*Sarco: Good god it needs a newer look and abilities and it's too fast on land when not encumbered(after taming)
*Pteranodon: Something about it screams naked old man.
*Bronto: animations should improve and model less plastic looking
*Megalodon: Looks a bit like a toy attacking you. a scary toy but still a toy.
*Raptor: I think its only the face that looks a bit too square
*Quetzal: Face and body is too chubby the dossier looks nice and elongated but in the game its not very majestic.
*Giganotosaurus: A bit more detail needed only in the model otherwise its fine

IN MY OPINION:
*Definitely needs model and animation updates: Bronto, Raptor, Sarco, Pteranodon, Megalodon, Quetzal,Giganotosaurus
*Wouldn't hurt to update model and animations:Triceratops,Titanoboa,Mammoth,Carbonemys,Carnotaurus

*Definitely needs ability updates: 

Carbonemys: Into the shell ability
Carnotaurus: something with its charge? Armour break? something to make it relevant.

Triceratops < - the link as well as maybe a charge attack

Araneo: Better webs and all terrain?

Pulmonoscorpius: more torpor than damage and maybe move over rocks only easier but not vertical. 

Sarco: death roll or bone breaking bite?

Bronto: Simply when it swings it's massive tail i feel more trees should be harvested not just 1 :3

Megalodon: Blood frenzy
Raptor: Jump and latch? ;) or coordinated attack groups?

Alright here's my list of what I'd love to change (Wall of text warning):

Abilities & Appearance:

• Ankylosaurus (It's look right now is decent, but it could be a lot better the scales could flow more naturally like what the new Spino or Rex's look like for starters. For abilities? I think giving it a forge saddle would work extremely well with it's kit, either that or a smithy saddle.)
  • Araneo (It's look is really clunky and outdated, and it doesn't look an awful lot like a spider. For abilities, increase the effectiveness of it's webs and allow it to climb on walls and ceilings similar to the Megalania and Rock Drake.)
  • Bronto (It has a very 'meh' look to it and it's animations, specifically walking and running, are really weird looking. As for it's abilities, give it a stomping attack that clears nearby shrubbery and trees and deals lots of damage to creatures beneath it, increase it's base speed and stamina slightly as well.)
  • Carbonemys (It's textures are really rough and rocky looking which is weird. For abilities, the long awaited ability to hide in it's shell would be great, increase it's base swim speed, and make it immune to stuns.)
  • Compy (It's model is quite blocky compared to other creatures and it's feathers don't exactly work on the current model. Give them the ability to jump and latch onto creatures and continuously deal chip damage to them unless they are knocked off by stun, KO, or killed. Make Prime Meat last longer in their inventory.)
  • Dilophosaur (Like most of the earlier creatures, it's model is outdated and really needs some attention. There's not much that needs done ability wise for the Dilophosaur, but I think a 'sneak' ability that hides it from night vision, Tek helmet visors, Troodon scout, and Direwolf sniff would be a really great idea.)
  • Dimorphodon (Similar to the Compy, it's model is really blocky and the feathers just clash with it atm. Not sure on abilities, but I think turning them into anti-air tames would be amazing. Perhaps make their melee and speed stronger when attacking Pteras, Quetzals, Argents, etc...?)
  • Dodo (Yes, the Dodo does need some TLC, it's feathers and face are all that really need changing imo. As for abilities? Well... maybe when set on wander they'll randomly pick up veggie/berry/plant species seeds or other items? That'd be kinda neat.)
  • Doedicurus (It's shell looks fine, but it's face and feet look really... dumb? Similar to the Ankylo, I think giving it a Smithy saddle would suffice.)
  • Giganotosaurus (It's current look is kinda... meh? It could use a Rex treatment for sure. The Giga has been hit pretty hard with nerfs and the Rage mechanic is really poorly done. I think it's base damage and health need to be lowered drastically; BUT in return it's Rage mechanic becomes beneficial. The more damage it takes, the stronger it's damage becomes and the less damage it takes. Making it a creature you'd want to take out quickly or else it'd shred your tames.)
  • Ichthyosaurus (It's got one of the ugliest models in the game, which is really unfortunate as it's a neat creature. For abilities I think it could be the Pachyrhino of the sea, allow it to let off pheromones that attract other sea creatures or ward them off. It works really well with what the Ichthyosaur was meant to be used for imo.)
  • Mammoth (It's look is outdated and I think it's fur would look way better if it was similar to the Direbear or Woolly Rhino's, it's tusks also have weird textures on them too. As for abilities it NEEDS bleed damage, just look at those tusks! Also change it's saddle to a three seater and put preserving bins on the sides! It'd be an excellent cargo/transport tame with that.)
  • Megalodon (Easily the WORST model in the game, it's really ugly and I would LOVE to see it redone as it has so much potential. Give it bleed damage, increase it's melee damage, give it a 'sprint' ability similar to the Direbear, and the Direwolf's new 'sniff' ability, but strictly for creatures in the water/sea crates only. Right now it's easily one of the worst sea mounts because it's largely outclassed and I think this would make it a very useful tame.)
  • Mesopithecus (I feel like it needs a Gigantopithecus treatment model-wise. As for abilities, give it a 'howl' that alerts you of nearby threats such as enemy tribes or aggressive dinos.)
  • Onyc (It's face is it's biggest issue, it doesn't look much like a bat. It needs a huge overhaul abilities-wise though. For taming, it should no longer take meat, but instead it should take blood packs. Once tamed, it should be able to cleanse your tribemates of diseases but doing so applies a debuff for some time that makes your attacks weaker and makes you weaker to attacks. Obviously let it land on ceilings as well! Lastly, give it a nocturnal buff that boosts it's speed and melee at night.)
  • Oviraptor (Just a slight texture change is all it really needs. While on wander, allow it to pick up nearby eggs and reduce the weight of eggs in it's inventory by 50-75%, obviously you'd have to have it favor meat over eggs post-tame to prevent it from being counteractive.)
  • Pachycephalo (It's head and the spikes on it are really goofy looking honestly. Carry weight and movement speed buffs would be greatly appreciated as well as reduced fall damage too!)
  • Paracer (It's model is a little... well... weird, it could use some changes. Unsure about abilities for this one, perhaps riding it would give you protection from heat?)
  • Parasaur (Like the Ankylo, it's model is decent right now, but it would definitely look a lot better with changes. It definitely needs some abilities though, I think a snorkel ability would be wonderful, where it has a minute or so underwater before it starts to lose oxygen. Increase it's base swim speed as well.)
  • Phiomia (It's model isn't terrible, but it could use some improvements for sure. Since it's been locked into the niche of being a poop producer, perhaps it could produce a unique kind that provides less fertilizer for crops, but increases the rate at which plants grow and produce veggies? I think that would make it a much better tame.)
  • Pteranodon (It's model is really goofy and the shiny texture just looks weird. I think it's little roll ability should be changed to allow it to quickly dive underwater and back out instantly harvesting any Coels or smaller Saber Salmon/Piranha it hits when doing so. It'd be a nice little change, as the Pteranodon is already in a good spot.)
  • Pulmonoscorpius (It's model isn't that bad, but like some others I've mentioned, a change would be welcomed. As for abilities, I think it needs a better role in PvE, and to do so I think it would be really cool if it could produce a 'mock' narcotic naturally overtime similar to how the Tusoteuthis produces Oil.)
  • Quetzal (It's got similar issues to the Pteranodon except instead of the shiny texture, it's feathers just don't flow very well with the rest of the model. Unsure again about abilities here, but it suffered pretty heavily from the flier nerfs and it needs a little something to bounce it back up a bit.)
  • Triceratops (It's model is alright, but I think it's body needs the most attention compared to it's face. For abilities, it definitely needs that charge attack that we've been waiting for.)

JUST Abilities/Buffs:

• Dimetrodon (It's large turn radius and sluggish speed are ridiculous. Reduce it's turn radius, increase it's base speed, health, and melee slightly. Allow it's sail to flare up when danger is near, like the Mesopithecus howl I mentioned, but this would be strictly visual.)
  • Diplodocus (Give it some form of self-defense at least? It can't even collect anything which makes it's only use being a transport tame which it does perform well, but it's outclassed by other tames. It's just a really mediocre tame tbh.)
  • Dung Beetle (Similar to the Oviraptor suggestions I made, allow it to collect poop while on wander, this would increase it's efficiency and usefulness by a lot.)
  • Dunkleosteus (Just make it's saddle a smithy saddle.)
  • Eurypterid (Make it tameable! If you guys do, then allow us to hang onto it like the Diplocaulus to ride it, have it collect silica pearls and chitin at higher rates as well.)
  • Gallimimus (Fight or flight ability that when damaged the Gallimimus gains a boost to speed and it's stamina drains slower for some time. Increase it's base carry weight as well.)
  • Liopleurodon (Honestly, scrap it's entire kit. Many of us were looking forward to this tame, and what you guys did with it was just 'memes' and it was extremely disappointing. Make it a permanent tame, change it's preferred food to fish + prime fish with it taking Tapejara kibble. Give it a stealth ability that hides it from detection and causes it to move slower with an ambush attack while in stealth that would perform similarly to the Thylacoleo's maul attack, the Liopleurodon would snatch prey up and maul it. Really, anything would be better than what we got.)
  • Lymantria (I don't believe it's been added yet, but make it produce silk in it's inventory like it was promised!)
  • Manta (Please make it harder to beach it, it happens so often accidentally that Mantas aren't really worth the trouble taming.)
  • Mosasaurus (Give it a powerful tail slap attack that stuns and knocks affected targets back. That would be amazing for the Mosasaur!)
  • Roll Rat (Remove the durability from it's saddle. It's pretty detrimental to the creature's value tbh.)
  • Tapejara (Just buff it's health and carry weight a bit.)
  • Terror Bird (Not sure what you could do, but for a creature with Terror in it's name, it doesn't live up to it.)

JUST Appearance:

• Stegosaurus (It's face is really all that I have an issue with, but it's enough for me to put it up here.)

Sarco :

- Rename it as Deinosushus

- New remodel and animation

-  Increase size by 30% with a much larger jaw

- Increase bite damage up to 65 

- Ability to ambush prey when in water and grab them

- Ability to do a deathroll 

- More "handy" in water

- Agressive in water. Skittish on ground.

- Add a roar

- Fast health regeneration when it's sunny, slow when its rainy

I LOVE all the Dino’s so far shown and their abilities the only Dino I don’t like is the spino and the biggest problem is I can’t put my finger on why I don’t like it I feel like it’s the same model as the old one with just a different texture so there’s no change at all I guess it needs more done the remodel was too conservative. 

Glad to see the revamped dinos actually getting buffs and useful mechanics. I would love to see the Pelagornis, Pachy, and Paracer (Odd that some of my favorites all start with P lol) get some buffs and some of the newer mechanics. If the Pelagornis gets shown the same amount of respect yall decided to show Argies (Thank you for that) then that will be a big step in taking away the crap I don't like andd honestly never needed.

As far as a general mechanic I saw SherlockHunter mention blood frenzy for sharks. I agree with that gut I think it can be taken a step further and the bleed effect could aggro most predators within a certain distance. Imagine getting cut gy something and having Dimorphodons or Hyenas or any number of meat eaters gunning for you lol. It would be be ammonite bile affect for land and sea too.

I have been playing Ark since betta launch and I have listed my few suggestions for TLC update on dinos below.  

Titanboa - Because you cannot saddle or mount the Titanboa and with the addition of the Basilisk, the titanboa serves little to no use aside from an annoyance in the wild. It is much easier to tame Scorpions and Frogs if you are looking for a tame that provides torpor during each hit. The only plus it may have is it may be able to go through doors as its smaller? In the stock photo of the the Titanboa there is a sort of like King Cobra frill on its neck which is not present in the real version. The snake doesnt look intimidating enough. 

Above and beyond the Titanboa needs some sort of ability possibly related to real snake abilities. For example, snakes are exceptionally well at picking up ground vibrations, maybe the Titanboa can have some visual tell, hissing excessively, tounges extended etc.. when walking large enemy dinos on ground are in range which would act as warning device for player or tribe and provide a viable reason enough for someone to tame them that shouldnt break the dino. Maybe give them the ability to sniff out wild eggs similar to how Troodon activation abilities work. Snakes naturally shed their skin to grow, could the Titanboa have an option to "shed skin" and gain some kind of a buff for a short duration, perhaps an "egg sniffing" ability range is increased, or maybe movement speed. Finally, what if Titanboa venom could be harvested for some sort of Narc weapon/dart and not just using its glands for boss fight.

Diplocaulus - I used this dino in beta stage in the first 3 months a long time ago and since then there has been no reason to even try and get another one. It dies in like 2 hits, only benefit is provides oxygen and chiten harvest bonus which in the grand scheme of things makes this an extremely useless dino. Back in the day its movement speed was so fast that it would pass trilobites before rendering them. In the entire time I have played this game (since pre launch) I have NEVER seen a person tame or ride one, and I am included my ally tribes I played with. It looks derpy and cartoonish, abilities are useless for end game players and almost useless for beginners as there are much better options to choose from. I would love for a reason to pick one of these guys up again but really cant find one. Maybe if it passively produced oil or something would give it more of a reason to be tamed. Maybe when you take oxygen from it gives you a buff and continues for a short time after dismounted. Maybe simply give it an underwater dash ability so can get away from enemies in a pinch using the idea of it being "skittish". Please make this guy useful again. 

ARTHROPLUERA - Saw a lot of good ideas previously posted so wont spam and talk about it. Does desperately need a visual FACE lift. Body looks fine, face looks kind of cartoonish. I was staring one in the face last night when trying to tame one. Didnt look "buggie" enough. Pincers coming from the mouth should be elongated and dripping venom/spit. Antenna should move more fluidly and tend to blend into dino and become unnoticeable. 

Raptor - I would love to see the Raptor get an update in mechanics but know how hard that would be for be for balancing since its considered a starter dino. The Raptor is one of the most iconic dinos that everyone knows but after a week of getting your base up the Raptors use is only good for Kibble as there are so many other viable mounts to choose from that are better like the saber, dire wolf and now the Ravager which completely puts it to shame. With the introduction of the ravager the raptor has become completely useless for aberration players. I just hate to see the most iconic dino and my personal favorite dino become completely useless. The Raptor is supposed to be stealthy and fast. Maybe once tamed it could have an ability. Maybe a larger or longer jump,  speed boost with a pack or perhaps the ability to move silently? Maybe it could have some kind of mechanic like the Rhino where it can pick up speed the longer it runs. 

Thanks for a great game Wild Card. Keep up the good work! 

10 hours ago, FrostD said:

Sarco :

- Rename it as Deinosushus

- New remodel and animation

-  Increase size by 30% with a much larger jaw

- Increase bite damage up to 65 

- Ability to ambush prey when in water and grab them

- Ability to do a deathroll 

- More "handy" in water

- Agressive in water. Skittish on ground.

- Add a roar

- Fast health regeneration when it's sunny, slow when its rainy

So, replace the Sarco with the Deino? A bit illogical, but a Deino would suit the deathroll that people want of the Sarco.

I like a lot of what is already being changed, but I have always considered the Argentavis to be more of a majestic Eagle or hawk looking dino, to give it a more vulture like head is just outright horrible, if you want vulture just go to SE and get a vulture! please redo the Argentavis look, to actually LOOK like an eagle, maybe use an bald eagle or Sparrowhawk look would be much better in my opinion.

• Jatheish locked and unlocked this topic
  • Jatheish unpinned and unfeatured this topic

Archived